What did you do today?

topcabron

I like that turning wrist thing ..if I can pull it off with the injury I'll do it.

been actually up to 185 on incline yesterday...pretty cool about 2 months ago I had troubles getting the bar up without grimacing.

with DBs you don't iso the chest as much, but you get better ROM so yeah I'll start throwing more in there.. I remember my incline DB form didnt feel right every time I tried, more shoulders than chest. Regular DB fine though.

Do lighter weight-more reps-focus on form.

Forget putting up big weight until you have it down perfectly.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do lighter weight-more reps-focus on form.

Forget putting up big weight until you have it down perfectly.

Definitely if potential injury is a real concern and your form doesn't feel right.

That being said, all my big mass gains have come from single set lifts of 7 reps.

The key is, putting up big weight and making sure that last one takes you to complete failure (whole body convulsing, near puke inducing failure). Then make sure you always increase weight next time around. (3-4 days down the road)

And obviously consuming the proteins and calories needed to support any desired mass gains.

I try not to push myself too hard on benching due to a partially torn rotator cuff I had from my HS Football days. I do 4 sets of 12 typically. I am not hitting weights again though until I am down 30lbs. ALL Cardio.

I try not to push myself too hard on benching due to a partially torn rotator cuff I had from my HS Football days. I do 4 sets of 12 typically. I am not hitting weights again though until I am down 30lbs. ALL Cardio.

You might want to consider throwing in some light weight training to prevent catabolizing muscle. Also building muscle is a good way to burn fat.

Either way, I would also suggest 30-80g of glutamine a day to help prevent catabolizing that muscle when doing super heavy cardio. At minimum I would do this when doing big weight cuts.

You might want to consider throwing in some light weight training to prevent catabolizing muscle. Also building muscle is a good way to burn fat.

Either way, I would also suggest 30-80g of glutamine a day to help prevent catabolizing that muscle when doing super heavy cardio. At minimum I would do this when doing big weight cuts.

I am with vyce lifting should actually help lose fat..

now you are talking 1 set of 7 for how many total? I have done 8-6-4-2 split for years before, it worked ok.. now I am doing more like 8-8-8-5

I have lifted for years on end, and lost some fat but gained big muscle. I am only doing cardio 3-4 times a week with sufficient rest in between as of now. If I push to 5-6 times a week in the near future, I will definitely do more about preventing muscle loss.

Personally, at this point in my life, I just want to get skinnier. Don't need to be real muscular anymore. I am married. I don't fight anymore, and if I do, I wont be worried, so don't need to put up 300+ lbs like I used to. I have gone from 242.2lbs to 237.1 lbs in 10 days at 6 foot 1-want to get to 205lbs this year. I am sure I could still bench 225lbs once if I walked into a gym today, so I am not in bad shape strength wise.

Just trying to focus and shed the extra weight. That is my main objective.

I have been getting a reoccuring shin splint in my right tibia which has been annoying, and my right ankle has always been bad (it cracks when I walk often times)

I am with vyce lifting should actually help lose fat..

now you are talking 1 set of 7 for how many total? I have done 8-6-4-2 split for years before, it worked ok.. now I am doing more like 8-8-8-5

1 set of 7 reps for a total of 7. That's it. Another way to think about it, is having the goal of increasing that single point of max power output, with the first couple reps being there simply for warm-up purposes.

The whole idea behind it, is progressively increasing max strength without breaking down the muscle to point of damage. Over-lifting is pretty easy and results quickly go from diminishing returns to negative when looking at the spectrum going from 1 lift to 50 lifts for example.

Give it 6 weeks and not only will your results be noticeable, but you now will have cut your total gym time by about 80% :icon_thumleft:

There is a mental hurdle to get over with regards to feeling like you didn't do enough, but once you see the huge strengths gains those thoughts will disappear. You will most likely power through lifts and see big gains on exercises that you have been "plateau'ed" on for a while.

My routine looks like this:

Workout A:

Pull downs (palms facing you)

Shoulder press

Drag Curls

Workout B:

Squats

Incline Bench

Myopic Crunches

I do workouts A & B on back to back days, then rest for 3-4days in between. It is rare when I can't add an extra 10lbs to each lift compared to the previous session, however I fully expect that result to start diminishing sooner than later.

Essentially the fundamentals are of HIT (High intensity training) philosophy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_intensity_training

I also eat very well, and consume at least my body weight in grams of protein per day in order to support the gains.

PS - Yes you will get strange looks when showing up to the gym, doing 3 sets of different lifts, then leaving. :icon_mrgreen:

I have lifted for years on end, and lost some fat but gained big muscle. I am only doing cardio 3-4 times a week with sufficient rest in between as of now. If I push to 5-6 times a week in the near future, I will definitely do more about preventing muscle loss.

Personally, at this point in my life, I just want to get skinnier. Don't need to be real muscular anymore. I am married. I don't fight anymore, and if I do, I wont be worried, so don't need to put up 300+ lbs like I used to. I have gone from 242.2lbs to 237.1 lbs in 10 days at 6 foot 1-want to get to 205lbs this year. I am sure I could still bench 225lbs once if I walked into a gym today, so I am not in bad shape strength wise.

Just trying to focus and shed the extra weight. That is my main objective.

I have been getting a reoccuring shin splint in my right tibia which has been annoying, and my right ankle has always been bad (it cracks when I walk often times)

Mike, not that you need anyone but you and your wife to suggest not smoking, but doing this will have all kinds of good stuff happening to your body.

Sounds like you have a good routine to shed the excess weight. Nicely done.

Skated again today. You can tell where I did my interval speed work. My legs are pumped. Im ready to ride my bike tomorrow.

post-9296-1295650318.png

Mike, not that you need anyone but you and your wife to suggest not smoking, but doing this will have all kinds of good stuff happening to your body.

Sounds like you have a good routine to shed the excess weight. Nicely done.

Skated again today. You can tell where I did my interval speed work. My legs are pumped. Im ready to ride my bike tomorrow.

I know I need to quit. I need to want to quit though, and I am currently far to stressed to give it up. I am hassled by coworkers, family, friends, etc. I enjoy it, and that is the issue.

1 set of 7 reps for a total of 7. That's it. Another way to think about it, is having the goal of increasing that single point of max power output, with the first couple reps being there simply for warm-up purposes.

The whole idea behind it, is progressively increasing max strength without breaking down the muscle to point of damage. Over-lifting is pretty easy and results quickly go from diminishing returns to negative when looking at the spectrum going from 1 lift to 50 lifts for example.

Give it 6 weeks and not only will your results be noticeable, but you now will have cut your total gym time by about 80% :icon_thumleft:

There is a mental hurdle to get over with regards to feeling like you didn't do enough, but once you see the huge strengths gains those thoughts will disappear. You will most likely power through lifts and see big gains on exercises that you have been "plateau'ed" on for a while.

My routine looks like this:

Workout A:

Pull downs (palms facing you)

Shoulder press

Drag Curls

Workout B:

Squats

Incline Bench

Myopic Crunches

I do workouts A & B on back to back days, then rest for 3-4days in between. It is rare when I can't add an extra 10lbs to each lift compared to the previous session, however I fully expect that result to start diminishing sooner than later.

Essentially the fundamentals are of HIT (High intensity training) philosophy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_intensity_training

I also eat very well, and consume at least my body weight in grams of protein per day in order to support the gains.

PS - Yes you will get strange looks when showing up to the gym, doing 3 sets of different lifts, then leaving. :icon_mrgreen:

Ok so few warm up sets then 1 set for 7 reps?

I am sure you can get strength gains..but at this point I care much more about looks - will this put on size as well as the regular schedule?

Ok so few warm up sets then 1 set for 7 reps?

I am sure you can get strength gains..but at this point I care much more about looks - will this put on size as well as the regular schedule?

No warm up sets, just 7 reps period. For example, you will walk over to the squat rack, load it up, start doing 7 squats (more like 6 plus a final attempt at putting everything you have into the 7th lift, stall out, and basically go to complete muscle failure). Lift done. Walk away from the rack, and proceed to next lift (bench press for example).

However, if you can fully complete 7, increase the weight. The goal is basically to be able to complete 6 and fail midway through the 7th.

Take a look at the wikipedia link, and look at the slew of world class body builders who train via this philosophy. Most people attribute the whole philosophy to the late Mike Mentzer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Mentzer.

This should take care of your concerns for the visual results.

No warm up sets, just 7 reps period. For example, you will walk over to the squat rack, load it up, start doing 7 squats (more like 6 plus a final attempt at putting everything you have into the 7th lift, stall out, and basically go to complete muscle failure). Lift done. Walk away from the rack, and proceed to next lift (bench press for example).

However, if you can fully complete 7, increase the weight. The goal is basically to be able to complete 6 and fail midway through the 7th.

Take a look at the wikipedia link, and look at the slew of world class body builders who train via this philosophy. Most people attribute the whole philosophy to the late Mike Mentzer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Mentzer.

This should take care of your concerns for the visual results.

No, no links. YOUR results are much more important. I've heard about MIke in fact isn't Tim Ferris's new book based on MIke's smallest effective dose principle? Look you go under squat rack without warm up and do 7 reps and you will have problems.. no warmed up joints and muscles, no prep.. But the question still - how many lbs did you add to your WEIGHT since you did this?

Four sets of 10 reps of 135 on military press.

Four sets of flat bench dumbbells (8 of 80s. 8 of 95s. 5 of 115s. 11 of 100s)

Supersets of front and lateral deltoid raises with 25s

Fairly quick workout

No, no links. YOUR results are much more important. I've heard about MIke in fact isn't Tim Ferris's new book based on MIke's smallest effective dose principle? Look you go under squat rack without warm up and do 7 reps and you will have problems.. no warmed up joints and muscles, no prep.. But the question still - how many lbs did you add to your WEIGHT since you did this?

In the last 5 weeks I have lost 15lbs of fat and gained about 7lbs of muscle.

For context I'm 5-7 and usually compete in Muay Thai at 135lbs or 145lbs with a normal "walk-around, pre-fight weight of 144 at 5% body fat.

When starting I was tipping the scales at 170lbs (have been recovering from an injury and 3 living re-locations in 2010)

Those are my personal results.

I have weighed as little as 127 in the past 10 years, and have not grown an inch.

Edit: I actually have photos from start to now, however it is a bit too gay to post

Look you go under squat rack without warm up and do 7 reps and you will have problems.. no warmed up joints and muscles, no prep..

Warm-ups are not necessarily required for slow, deliberate, and controlled movements - especially when you are doing only 7 of them. Anything that is "explosive" or involves impact...well that is a completely different story.

You'll never catch me doing heavy-bag work or even any grappling without a proper warm-up session. Back in my younger years I played tennis quite extensively, and even then warming up was a huge necessity.

can anyone else chime in on vyce's regimen? I am talking to people but can't conclude it yet.. perhaps it works the body for say 85% and tells it "grow!!" but it would make the rest of the people working out 1-1.5hrs look like they are trying too hard for that extra 10-15% ?

cant comment on the work out.

everyone has something that works

:iamwithstupid:

IMHO all you can do is read and try other peoples workouts. Monitor your progress and tailor your workouts so you become more successful at your goals (be it an increase in weight, strength, lower body fat, lower weight). What works for me probably won't be good for you, what works for you might not work for Topcarbon. The key really is just putting the time in, and keeping your heart going.

:iamwithstupid:

IMHO all you can do is read and try other peoples workouts. Monitor your progress and tailor your workouts so you become more successful at your goals (be it an increase in weight, strength, lower body fat, lower weight). What works for me probably won't be good for you, what works for you might not work for Topcarbon. The key really is just putting the time in, and keeping your heart going.

Exactly. There are different body types, and they all react differently.

If what works for me, works for you - maybe I just helped save you 5 or so hours a week. If not, oh well.

Either way, no skin off my back.