What did you do today?

topcabron

Went to the gun range.... I dont care how much weight you can lift, you'll never get inside 600 yards of me.

Then I ate enough Italian food to choke James Gandolfini.

Puh-lease. We don't lift to fight gun nuts..we lift so we can LIFT our asses when in danger or need be. Thanks to muscle up mastery, if I am ever hanging Stallone style from a helicopter over a canyon, I know I am not going to plunge down screaming "dammmmnnn you Luger!!!"

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Puh-lease. We don't lift to fight gun nuts..we lift so we can LIFT our asses when in danger or need be. Thanks to muscle up mastery, if I am ever hanging Stallone style from a helicopter over a canyon, I know I am not going to plunge down screaming "dammmmnnn you Luger!!!"

When you can do them on rings, you've reached mastery. :icon_thumleft: :icon_mrgreen:

Wednesday, I set new PRs with box jumps. I completed a 54.25 inch standing box jump, and a 60.25 inch running box jump. I recently bought these new hard foam stackable plyo boxes, so that if I miss a jump I dont kill myself (or my shins). These allowed me to finally make all out attempts. Anyone on here do box jumps?

Wednesday, I set new PRs with box jumps. I completed a 54.25 inch standing box jump, and a 60.25 inch running box jump. I recently bought these new hard foam stackable plyo boxes, so that if I miss a jump I dont kill myself (or my shins). These allowed me to finally make all out attempts. Anyone on here do box jumps?

54" sounds like a monster box jump!! I wonder how that translates for measuring vertical leap?

I do them on a regular basis...24" for lots of reps. Recently did 75 in under 5 minutes.

Would like to see how high I could go for a 1 rep max. Could stack some 45 lb plates to get some height.

I like the idea of foam boxes for maxing out, because the ones I use are made of wood. :icon_mrgreen:

I have noticed the improvement of strength and explosiveness in my legs when it comes to squats, sprinting, long jumps, etc. A great exercise.

54" sounds like a monster box jump!! I wonder how that translates for measuring vertical leap?

I do them on a regular basis...24" for lots of reps. Recently did 75 in under 5 minutes.

Would like to see how high I could go for a 1 rep max. Could stack some 45 lb plates to get some height.

I like the idea of foam boxes for maxing out, because the ones I use are made of wood. :icon_mrgreen:

I have noticed the improvement of strength and explosiveness in my legs when it comes to squats, sprinting, long jumps, etc. A great exercise.

Yeah I like box jumps, I have always been a jumper. I did high jump in highschool and played basketball. The foam boxes are the way to go for testing your box jump max. Of course the set (of 5) I bought was over $2000 after tax and shipping. Worth every penny.

Yeah I like box jumps, I have always been a jumper. I did high jump in highschool and played basketball. The foam boxes are the way to go for testing your box jump max. Of course the set (of 5) I bought was over $2000 after tax and shipping. Worth every penny.

Damn....$2k for some boxes....I'll work on getting the Lambo first. :icon_mrgreen:

Send me a link, I'd like to see them anyways!

Have you fallen or tripped yet with these boxes, or has it just helped you psychologically by not worrying about getting hurt? (sorta like doing more bench press reps with a spotter doing nothing than with no spotter).

I noticed a guy doing step ups with a weighted bar for reps. You ever do those?

Damn....$2k for some boxes....I'll work on getting the Lambo first. :icon_mrgreen:

Send me a link, I'd like to see them anyways!

Have you fallen or tripped yet with these boxes, or has it just helped you psychologically by not worrying about getting hurt? (sorta like doing more bench press reps with a spotter doing nothing than with no spotter).

I noticed a guy doing step ups with a weighted bar for reps. You ever do those?

I have never done weighted step ups, I have done weighted box jumps before.

I havent fallen or tripped really on my new boxes, unless its on the top of the box. My chins and knees have hit all over the edge and top of the box and it doesnt hurt. They have a huge landing area 30" x 36", and I just put them against a wall. Heres a picture of them.

post-6539-1315246355_thumb.jpg

I think I would like these box jumps....how did you get started, other than the obvious. Did you set a starting max jump, reps or what?

I think I would like these box jumps....how did you get started, other than the obvious. Did you set a starting max jump, reps or what?

I bought a set of 7 steel boxes from 6 inches all the way to 42 inches and started jumping on them all in succession. Eventually 42 inches got too easy and I started stacking the box on top of cinder blocks and weight plates to make it higher. When it got pretty high it started to get too risky to move up because if I missed a jump I could get seriously hurt. I knew I could jump higher if I didnt have to worry about killing myself, so I bought the new hard foam boxes. Within a couple of days of having them, I improved my personal records from a standing 51 inch box jump to a standing 54.25 inch. I also improved my running box jump from 57 inches to 60.25 inches. I think I can get even higher, but I have some ab strain currently from all the box jumps I did last week lol.

24" is a standard size at Crossfit for males. It's not particularly high but for a lot of reps it's a good height.

I get the impression that all of the box jump workouts that CF does is about 50/50 with regards to muscle development and stamina. If you're just after muscle development then I'd say you would move up to 30", 34-36", and do weighted box jumps.

24" is a standard size at Crossfit for males. It's not particularly high but for a lot of reps it's a good height.

I get the impression that all of the box jump workouts that CF does is about 50/50 with regards to muscle development and stamina. If you're just after muscle development then I'd say you would move up to 30", 34-36", and do weighted box jumps.

What do you get out of doing weighted box jumps that you don't get from just jumping higher? I've never tried them but it sounds like they'd add more risk of injury than they're worth. Wouldn't cleans be just as effective and a bit safer if you're trying to be explosive with more than your body weight?

What do you get out of doing weighted box jumps that you don't get from just jumping higher? I've never tried them but it sounds like they'd add more risk of injury than they're worth. Wouldn't cleans be just as effective and a bit safer if you're trying to be explosive with more than your body weight?

I was thinking weighted box jumps would be similar to weighted pullups. At some point these exercises might be too easy and/or boring....

Don't know how effective weighted box jumps are, but know that cleans are effective.

Interesting observation about 6 packs I've come across recently:

Have you ever noticed some guys have very defined six packs but their whole stomach and abdomen area still seems bulky?? If viewed from the side it still seems as if there's possibly even a slight belly.

The guy who owns our gym is this way, and I just saw some pics today of two other guys just like that.

It's weird when you see someone who appears leaner with a six pack that is not as defined.

Anyone notice what I'm talking about? LOL.

It makes me wonder if that's just the way certain body types are built....strange.

Interesting observation about 6 packs I've come across recently:

Have you ever noticed some guys have very defined six packs but their whole stomach and abdomen area still seems bulky?? If viewed from the side it still seems as if there's possibly even a slight belly.

The guy who owns our gym is this way, and I just saw some pics today of two other guys just like that.

It's weird when you see someone who appears leaner with a six pack that is not as defined.

Anyone notice what I'm talking about? LOL.

It makes me wonder if that's just the way certain body types are built....strange.

roid gut?

roid gut?

more likely gh or igf. I've read they cause intestinal growth, which explains the big gut combined with striated and veiny abs many of the top level pro bodybuilders have.

more likely gh or igf. I've read they cause intestinal growth, which explains the big gut combined with striated and veiny abs many of the top level pro bodybuilders have.

Nice theory....

Another good reason to stay away from "stuff". :icon_thumleft:

Yep thats what I was referring to.

This past friday I set a PR with 11 pullup reps with 100lbs added to me. Last year around this time I could do 1 rep with 90lbs added to me.

Yesterday was my first day back to the gym in a couple of months. Taking care of a sick dog and moving really made a mess out of things, but it seems like I haven't lost as much as I expected to. Still, I'm spending this week working on form without much weight just to be safe. The real training starts next week, but I'm starting really light just to make sure that the last couple of injuries I've had are actually healed before I start pushing my limits. Linear progression programs move so fast that even starting at half my old PRs won't slow me down for too long.

The plan I'll be following for the next few months is pretty simple... just squat, deadlift, power clean, press, and bench... I'll be adding weighted pull ups, chin ups, and ring dips to it just for fun, and some rowing on off days as long as it doesn't hurt my recovery from lifting too much.

Yesterday was my first day back to the gym in a couple of months. Taking care of a sick dog and moving really made a mess out of things, but it seems like I haven't lost as much as I expected to. Still, I'm spending this week working on form without much weight just to be safe. The real training starts next week, but I'm starting really light just to make sure that the last couple of injuries I've had are actually healed before I start pushing my limits. Linear progression programs move so fast that even starting at half my old PRs won't slow me down for too long.

The plan I'll be following for the next few months is pretty simple... just squat, deadlift, power clean, press, and bench... I'll be adding weighted pull ups, chin ups, and ring dips to it just for fun, and some rowing on off days as long as it doesn't hurt my recovery from lifting too much.

Definitely good on ya for starting with low weights. Your muscles may have the strength but the soreness will hit ya quickly. If I take off just 2 weeks from bench press I can feel the soreness hit right away if I lift at my standard weight.

Great combination of lifts....if you could add snatch you'd have them all. I wish I gotten into all of these lifts years ago instead of just bench & press. I'd recommend push press/push jerk to make it easier to get the weight up in the time being.

Pull ups and ring dips are great too....don't feel bad to use bands for ring dips depending on your strength level.

I believe if you do it right, you'll only need to squat/deadlift/bench press/etc. once a week. You can then do more exercises overall instead of repeating the same ones during the week.

Definitely good on ya for starting with low weights. Your muscles may have the strength but the soreness will hit ya quickly. If I take off just 2 weeks from bench press I can feel the soreness hit right away if I lift at my standard weight.

Great combination of lifts....if you could add snatch you'd have them all. I wish I gotten into all of these lifts years ago instead of just bench & press. I'd recommend push press/push jerk to make it easier to get the weight up in the time being.

Pull ups and ring dips are great too....don't feel bad to use bands for ring dips depending on your strength level.

I believe if you do it right, you'll only need to squat/deadlift/bench press/etc. once a week. You can then do more exercises overall instead of repeating the same ones during the week.

I'll definitely add the snatch at some point, but for now I can't do it with good form. I'm working on improving my range of motion in my shoulders so I have a chance of doing it well. I can do 11 ring dips in a set, so I'll probably be ok without the bands :lol2:

The program I'll be doing is only designed to last for a few months but give rapid gains while it lasts. It's designed for beginners, but since I've never really done any focused strength training before I'm hoping it'll work for me. There are 3 workouts per week, alternating between squat/bench/deadlift and squat/press/clean. I'll be adding the dips, chin ups, and pull ups once a week each. The idea is to add 5 pounds to each lift every workout (10 pounds for deadlift) until you can't keep up, while eating and sleeping as much as possible. Once you've maxed out your gains, you switch to a more typical program.

I'll definitely add the snatch at some point, but for now I can't do it with good form. I'm working on improving my range of motion in my shoulders so I have a chance of doing it well. I can do 11 ring dips in a set, so I'll probably be ok without the bands :lol2:

The program I'll be doing is only designed to last for a few months but give rapid gains while it lasts. It's designed for beginners, but since I've never really done any focused strength training before I'm hoping it'll work for me. There are 3 workouts per week, alternating between squat/bench/deadlift and squat/press/clean. I'll be adding the dips, chin ups, and pull ups once a week each. The idea is to add 5 pounds to each lift every workout (10 pounds for deadlift) until you can't keep up, while eating and sleeping as much as possible. Once you've maxed out your gains, you switch to a more typical program.

Sounds like a fun program. As much as I like to do everything, it's nice to specialize once in awhile. Keep us posted on the progress, would like to see how you progress.

Didn't mean to imply you weren't good at ring dips....a lot of people who can do 10-15+ regular dips get humbled very quickly on the rings, yours truly included. :icon_thumleft: :icon_mrgreen:

11 is awesome.