What did you do today?

topcabron

Today did almost 2 rounds in 15 minutes of:

200 meter run

15 hand release push ups

10 handstand pushups

At best, I could do 2 handstand pushups in a row, and then often a good 30-45 second rest before I could try another, sometimes only 1....very tiring to do. But it's nice to be reminded I could only do handstand holds only a few months ago.

I have noticed that my shoulder press has gotten stronger over time....handstand pushups are to shoulder press what standard pushups are to bench press. Here is one of the rare circumstances where being heavier is a disadvantage, but there are some big guys who can do a good # of these.

AccidentalChef, you ever do these?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd just started working on handstand pushups before my dog got sick. My max set was 3 against a wall, but the third one was pretty sloppy. I was trying to work my way up to doing them on paralettes, hoping that the extra range of motion would give me big improvements on my overhead lifts. I'm not sure if I could do one now, after so much time off.

It should be fun to specialize on barbell stuff for the next few months, but it might take a bit before it feels worthwhile. I have a tendency to rush things and injure myself, so I'm treating the first month or two of the program as rehab for my last few injuries, just to make sure everything works properly before things get heavy.

I started working on ring dips when I could only do a couple bar dips, so I never really had to make the transition. I also had some rings hanging up next to my desk in my old loft, which might have helped a bit! I do still remember the first time I tried a ring dip, though... I didn't expect it to be very hard, but it took quite a bit of practice just to be able to hold myself up.

If you want another surprisingly tricky one, either lower your rings down or find something to put your feet on and do normal pushups with your hands on the rings.

Today, it's mostly dumbell presses and dips. I noticed posts about using rings. I'll have to try that. I imagine a lot of shaking at first just to balance but I can see the benefits.

Today, it's mostly dumbell presses and dips. I noticed posts about using rings. I'll have to try that. I imagine a lot of shaking at first just to balance but I can see the benefits.

Rings are incredibly effective for building upper body strength, but I'd recommend starting off slowly on them. If you've never used them before, I wouldn't even try doing any dips until you can support yourself on the rings with no shaking at all. Once that's not a challenge, start working on dips. You probably have a lot of small stabilizer muscles that will need to catch up to deal with all the instability.

Rode my bike up Alpe d' Huez in 66mins. Yesterday rode up the Col du telegraghe and Col du Galibier.

Last name is SEIB

5th on the list this in this years ranking up the Telegraghe & Galibier

http://www.timtoo.com/timtoo.php?chronomet...xe=H&rdate=

36th on the list up the Alpe

http://www.timtoo.com/timtoo.php?chronomet...exe=&rdate=

I'd post pictures but I'm to exhausted. I have a new found respect for pro cyclists. Night.

Rode my bike up Alpe d' Huez in 66mins. Yesterday rode up the Col du telegraghe and Col du Galibier.

Last name is SEIB

5th on the list this in this years ranking up the Telegraghe & Galibier

http://www.timtoo.com/timtoo.php?chronomet...xe=H&rdate=

36th on the list up the Alpe

http://www.timtoo.com/timtoo.php?chronomet...exe=&rdate=

I'd post pictures but I'm to exhausted. I have a new found respect for pro cyclists. Night.

thats very cool.

Happy belated birthday

I'm back on my bike......25mi @ 7am this morning........plan to do another when I get home this evening.

rode down the coast and through the independence day parade

Last name is SEIB

You bicycle guys got me thinking about getting a bicycle to help diversify the cardio workouts....hmmmm.

Rings are incredibly effective for building upper body strength, but I'd recommend starting off slowly on them. If you've never used them before, I wouldn't even try doing any dips until you can support yourself on the rings with no shaking at all. Once that's not a challenge, start working on dips. You probably have a lot of small stabilizer muscles that will need to catch up to deal with all the instability.

I agree totally....you gotta lose all of your standard dip ego when hitting the rings. It is like starting all over again.

The bands will help you with your range of motion, but won't help with the shaking up top.

You bicycle guys got me thinking about getting a bicycle to help diversify the cardio workouts....hmmmm.

Ive been riding for 28 years.

Its very addictive.

Haha, nice.

Can you measure splits easily?

this was a recent workout.

I use a Garmin, and it records hr, speed, elevation, course map, and then puts it on one page.

Screenshot2011-09-16at62536PM.png

you can see where there is an interval.

Ran 2.5 miles Friday, and 3.0 miles on Sunday along with a quick Bicep/Shoulder workout. Legs are a little sore, but feel great. Actually started to really see my abs after the Sunday run. Need to get rid of the lower belly fat, and my abs will REALLY show. Going to do some more ab work tonight, take tomorrow off and hit the road again wednesday.

I am on vacation in Vegas right now, and so I worked out at the Four Seasons fitness center yesterday. They had some pretty good machines, all Cybex stuff. I was messing around with the lat pulldown, and since I dont have a lat pull down machine in my home gym it's been a couple years since I have used one. With all the weighted pull ups I do, the whole stack (plus the three 5lbs incremental weights that I slid over) wasnt a problem. I still prefer weighted pull ups, but this was a nice change. I have a weighted pull up competition coming up that I need to start training for. % of body weight added via dip belt for 1 rep max pull up.

Vbox - you are the most dedicated workout video poster alive. Vacationing in Vegas and not only did you train (amazing in and of itself), but you posted a video too. Jesus.

Vbox - you are the most dedicated workout video poster alive. Vacationing in Vegas and not only did you train (amazing in and of itself), but you posted a video too. Jesus.

Haha, I had to do some sort of workout since I was there for 5 days. Its amazing how lots of bad food intake can impact your workouts. I felt like crap anytime my heart rate went up. I am back home now, time to get back to the regular routine.

I've delayed the start of my real program a bit because of some pain in my shoulder. It only hurts when I bench, not during anything else I've tried, but I'm still going to play it safe. Last night I wasn't really focused, just kind of played around. Did pull ups, ring dips, some rowing, dumbbell presses, and a bit of parkour training.

It can be a bit hard to focus at the gym I go to sometimes. This is the sort of thing that most people there are doing on any given night...

Note that I am still a total beginner at that sort of stuff. Most of my barbell training is done with parkour and freerunning as the ultimate goal, though. A large part of it is the idea that if I'm twice as strong, I can crash twice as hard without injuring myself. Hopefully that turns out to be at least partially true.

• 3 weeks later...

If your shoulder is bothering you just wait til it doesn't bother you to work out. I tried to work through the pain a bit and it put me out for a couple of months. That said if it hurts only during bench, try using DBs instead of a BB. I can't bench with BB and use DBs because it allows me to hold the DB at a slight angle which doesn't upset my shoulder. More than a few bodybuilders only use DBs as well, so it's not like you're preventing yourself from getting the most from your time in the gym. Also, try doing stabilization, and multi-body part exercises sine it seems like the free running stuff you're doing has a focus on balance and use of many different muscle groups at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has kind of died!

Where you at guys?

I have been running 2-3 times a week, but have actually gained weight! So weird.

I see myself leaning out, but I am gaining weight. What gives? Increase in muscle mass?

I just started back up last week. My shoulder pain was almost gone, and then completely disappeared after a minor form adjustment. I'm still working on very light weights as rehab/technique work, so it'll probably be 6 weeks before things get interesting again.

I actually am doing the Tough Mudder Virginia this weekend so im pretty pumped. 9 miles with 1250the ft in elevation changes and 23 obstacles. I've never even done a 5k lol so this should interesting. Going to try to bring the go pro and get some vids doing the obstacles. There are awards for wearing as little as possible so I may run in my underwear haha

^^^I used to HATE doing Box jumps as conditioning training for football. HATE may not even be a strong enough word for it either.

This thread has kind of died!

Where you at guys?

I have been running 2-3 times a week, but have actually gained weight! So weird.

I see myself leaning out, but I am gaining weight. What gives? Increase in muscle mass?

Very bizarre......all you're doing is running and you are gaining weight?

Has your diet been on point? Be honest. :icon_mrgreen:

Of course, the body is weird too....nothing is exact like a formula.

Been working on box jumps a lot lately. I am up to a 56.25 inch max standing box jump and 11 x 50 inch box jumps in 60 seconds.

Man, that's a lot of jumping energy! Nice work...

BTW, how do box jumps and verticals translate? A 50" vertical is elite.

^^^I used to HATE doing Box jumps as conditioning training for football. HATE may not even be a strong enough word for it either.

Really? Of all the things to loathe....guess you never did burpees. :icon_mrgreen:

They do train explosiveness and make you a faster runner at least. If an exercise is only good to tire you out and nothing more (e.g. burpees), that really sucks!