What did you do today?

topcabron

Do you have a pull-up bar? I made one for the house out of 1" metal conduit and drilled it into a ceiling joist in my gameroom. Works great and it's sturdy. It's pretty funny looking though because of the room it's in. You walk into this 600sq ft gameroom with table/chairs, built-in fridges, shelving, a big sectional and theater setup, speakers and subs everywhere, artwork and framed autographed albums and memorabilia on the walls, and then you look in the corner and there's this pull up bar hanging from the ceiling. People come over and they're like, what the hell is that? hahaha.

For back, you could also do 3 grip variation lawnmower pulls (bicep grip, hammer grip, overhand grip) with your dumbbells, and even a bent-over dumbbell row. I like finishing a back workout with the 3 grip variation pulls and doing 4-5 reps one on grip, then switching, then 4-5 more, then switching, then 4-5 more. Then switch arms. Do 3 sets on each hand back-to-back-to-back and you will be feeling it big time, even with a 25lb db.

25's are perfect for dumbbell upright rows too...

Honestly, I wouldn't be able to get more than a couple pullups right now. Maybe after I lost a few pounds, and got my strength back.

Just trying to tone up for now. I also will sometimes throw in some additional shoulder lifts if my shoulders aren't gone after 4 sets of 12. I actually feel pretty sore in my lats too after a long session of the standing shoulder presses. Maybe due to inverting my wrists at the top? Not sure.

Again, not doing the heavy stuff like I used to. Just doing slow reps and making sure my form is on point.

I have lost 6.5 pounds, but this is where my plateau has been for a week. I usually get to this weight and get stuck there.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I seriously need a pull up bar at home (or at least my condo complex's gym). It would facilitate the pull up program greatly!!

Aaron, did you take a look at the chart I posted a few posts above? You've obviously moved past it but does it resemble what you've done to make the progress you've made?

I glanced at it. I have seen those types of charts before. They are a good starting point, but as you progress with pullups its so easy to plateau. You really need to vary your routine up a lot more to progress after youve made your initial gains. If thats all your do, you will probably end up frustrated when eventually you have to repeat your weeks over and over again without much progress.

So how often are you working back in a week? Were you sore the next day or 2 days after doing your 300 pullup session? What are you weighing now compared to 2 months ago?

So how often are you working back in a week? Were you sore the next day or 2 days after doing your 300 pullup session? What are you weighing now compared to 2 months ago?

I do pullups about 3 times a week. Monday, Wednesday, Saturday usually. I wasnt that sore the next day after the 300. I had a little bit of soreness, but nothing crazy llke I expected.

Not sure why you are asking about 2 months ago? I went from about 187 to 170 (wake up weight without clothes) from March 1st to mid July. I have been maintaining at around 172 the last month.

Today I was able to get 100 pullups in 9:50, breaking my previous record of 10:06. Feels good to get it under 10 minutes finally.

Not sure why you are asking about 2 months ago? I went from about 187 to 170 (wake up weight without clothes) from March 1st to mid July. I have been maintaining at around 172 the last month.

Just curious about what road you're on with your weight and such. I know you said you're in a maintaining phase, but I couldn't remember if you were previously heavier or lighter... You sure can do a shitload of pullups thought. Unreal.

Just curious about what road you're on with your weight and such. I know you said you're in a maintaining phase, but I couldn't remember if you were previously heavier or lighter... You sure can do a shitload of pullups thought. Unreal.

Yeah I have been maintaining for the past several weeks, and I am bored with it. I think I am going to cut some more body fat, and get a bit more ripped before the winter when I start gaining again.

Ran 2 miles this morning and had a good chest workout. Got 130s for 4 solid on flat bench db's. Heaviest I've attempted in quite a few weeks.

That is a crazy pullup routine! I got 3 reps of 300 last night on flat bench. 5 of 275. Highlight of incline free weights was 7a reps with 115s. Then two sets of 20 reps with 225 on decline. Been in a bit of a slump the last couple months so it definitely felt good to be back in heavier weight

I glanced at it. I have seen those types of charts before. They are a good starting point, but as you progress with pullups its so easy to plateau. You really need to vary your routine up a lot more to progress after youve made your initial gains. If thats all your do, you will probably end up frustrated when eventually you have to repeat your weeks over and over again without much progress.

Well, I'd like to slowly grow the pull up ability over time. As it is now I do pullups probably 2-3 times a week mixed in with workouts.

When you say vary it, do you mean by weighting the pull ups? Scaling up is always an option when things get too easy.

Ran 2 miles this morning and had a good chest workout. Got 130s for 4 solid on flat bench db's. Heaviest I've attempted in quite a few weeks.

130....heavy! As you said, must be harder to set up than to do the actual bench. :lol2:

That is a crazy pullup routine! I got 3 reps of 300 last night on flat bench. 5 of 275. Highlight of incline free weights was 7a reps with 115s. Then two sets of 20 reps with 225 on decline. Been in a bit of a slump the last couple months so it definitely felt good to be back in heavier weight

Chip for a relatively light guy (175 if I recall correctly), you can do a lot on the bench! And aren't you like 5'10? Taller guys usually are disadvantaged pound for pound I think.

I've been mixing it up on bench just to keep it interesting. Did 2 rep max the other day and got up to 210.

Did deadlifts today....5 sets of 5 mixed in with air squats.

Definitely gotta get stronger in this area. Struggled to do 225, so I dropped to 185 which felt heavier than I wanted it to.

What are some of you guys doing on deadlift these days?

Fellippe,

You can vary your pullup works a number of ways. It mostly depends on what your pull up goals are. My goals are to improve everything from 1 rep weighted max pull up all the way to max body weight reps. I never stop varying my workouts. Now if I just wanted to increase my body weight reps and didnt care at all about weighted. I would probably never do more than 45lbs added to me and stick to mostly body weight pullup routines. Something like that chart suggests is 1 good type of workout, but there are several others. For example the workout I did last wednesday where I did 300 pullups, and the one I did yesterday where I did 100 pullups as fast as I could.

Fellippe,

You can vary your pullup works a number of ways. It mostly depends on what your pull up goals are. My goals are to improve everything from 1 rep weighted max pull up all the way to max body weight reps. I never stop varying my workouts. Now if I just wanted to increase my body weight reps and didnt care at all about weighted. I would probably never do more than 45lbs added to me and stick to mostly body weight pullup routines. Something like that chart suggests is 1 good type of workout, but there are several others. For example the workout I did last wednesday where I did 300 pullups, and the one I did yesterday where I did 100 pullups as fast as I could.

Ok, so let's talk about the differences of what max body weight reps do vs. weighted reps.....is it sorta like high weight/low reps vs. low weight/high reps is for lifting?

Before that, let's go over what pullups do for you muscle and strength wise....I'm pretty sure back is primary, but what else?

Did my shoulders/biceps routine last night. Was weird, i had fatigue but I didn't have that much of a pump like I typically do. I got through my entire routine, and it was a little easier than usual. I guess my body is slowly getting stronger again and retaining muscle.

Need to buy a flat bench with the rubber coated weights so I can use them for power cleans/bench/squats. I think with that+a set of 40lb/50lb dumbells, I should be good for a while. Need to clear the junk out of the second stall in my garage so I can convert it to a gym. I love it. There is no AC in it, and I keep the garage door closed. It feels like my high school gym just without the stench.

Ok, so let's talk about the differences of what max body weight reps do vs. weighted reps.....is it sorta like high weight/low reps vs. low weight/high reps is for lifting?

Before that, let's go over what pullups do for you muscle and strength wise....I'm pretty sure back is primary, but what else?

Pullups involve many muscles outside of just the lats and upper back, but it varies with the hand position (width of the grip) and if it's a palm in, neutral, or out. But you can count on a heavy bicep and rear delt influence the most. Depending on grip position you can get some pull on the lower peck, obviously forearm/grip (don't use straps pussy!)

Adding weight is the same as increasing the weight of any exercise. Unless you specifically want to train to do very high reps, add weight as your strength increases.

As far as deadlifts go, all I can say is start light and be super strict on form. You can fcuk your back up in a hurry! They kinda go hand in hand with squats, so leg/glute strength is doing to be a dominating factor. Me personally, my deads are in the ~350lb range, squat creeping toward 315, where bench has always been a weak spot for me. I can incline 225 on a good day and get up 100lb dumbells on flat. At 6'3" and hovering between 190-200 consistently at ~10-12%, I've got nowhere near the muscle mass of guys like 05LSV.

But work those legs and I guarantee you'll get stronger everywhere else as a result.

I went to the beach a few days ago and tried doing that pullup into over the bar dip on a thicker than usual bar. I got the right elbow over..then froze for a moment with my chest touching the bar, and got over with the left elbow.

Came down, waited 5 seconds and did another one like that.

I went to the beach a few days ago and tried doing that pullup into over the bar dip on a thicker than usual bar. I got the right elbow over..then froze for a moment with my chest touching the bar, and got over with the left elbow.

Came down, waited 5 seconds and did another one like that.

So a near muscle up then?

Did a 6 AM workout this morning and just got back from the gym for the anaerobic part:

8 repeats of 500 meter rows with 2 minute breaks in between

Tiring, but good!

Pullups involve many muscles outside of just the lats and upper back, but it varies with the hand position (width of the grip) and if it's a palm in, neutral, or out. But you can count on a heavy bicep and rear delt influence the most. Depending on grip position you can get some pull on the lower peck, obviously forearm/grip (don't use straps pussy!)

Adding weight is the same as increasing the weight of any exercise. Unless you specifically want to train to do very high reps, add weight as your strength increases.

As far as deadlifts go, all I can say is start light and be super strict on form. You can fcuk your back up in a hurry! They kinda go hand in hand with squats, so leg/glute strength is doing to be a dominating factor. Me personally, my deads are in the ~350lb range, squat creeping toward 315, where bench has always been a weak spot for me. I can incline 225 on a good day and get up 100lb dumbells on flat. At 6'3" and hovering between 190-200 consistently at ~10-12%, I've got nowhere near the muscle mass of guys like 05LSV.

But work those legs and I guarantee you'll get stronger everywhere else as a result.

That's what everyone says....squats are everything.

Thanks for the info, Emanon.

Ugghhh...Ate at the melting pot last night, and skipped my workout. Feel like a fat fock.

At least you feel responsible. :icon_mrgreen:

Today is another day.

Ugghhh...Ate at the melting pot last night, and skipped my workout. Feel like a fat fock.

Quick, go try and throw up! lol.

Don't worry man, we all slip up. Like Fellippe said, today is a new day - learn from your error and turn up your discipline levels.

Quick, go try and throw up! lol.

Don't worry man, we all slip up. Like Fellippe said, today is a new day - learn from your error and turn up your discipline levels.

:icon_mrgreen:

Challenge is that most of the time it isn't something that I necessarily want to do, but its something my wife gets invited to, and I get dragged along to it.