100+ Mafia members arrested today

Smash Boy

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2011-0....htm?csp=34news

Largest U.S. Mob sweep leads to 110 arrests

By Martha T. Moore and Kevin Johnson, USA TODAY

NEW YORK — More than 110 alleged organized crime suspects were arrested in New York, New Jersey and other parts of the Northeast in the largest Mob sweep in U.S. history, federal officials said Thursday.

The suspects, wanted on criminal charges ranging from murder and narcotics trafficking to fraud and extortion, represent New York's once dominant five crime families, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said at briefing in Brooklyn.

Holder said the suspects included bosses and associates of the five families — the Bonanno, Colombo, Gambino, Genovese and Lucchese clans — who allegedly carried out "classic Mob hits" and "truly senseless murders." Officials also arrested two men allegedly from the Decavalcante family in New Jersey and two men accused of being part of the New England Cosa Nostra.

MOB RAID: FBI arrests suspected mobsters

The murders, dating back to 1988, took place during internal Mafia power struggles and included "senseless violence" such as a double killing after an argument over a spilled drink in a bar, Holder said. "Time and again, they have shown a willingness to kill, to make money to eliminate rivals and eliminate witnesses," Holder said.

The Colombo family, Holder said, defrauded consumers out of payments they were making to get loans.

One of the defendants, among the scores arrested, is a former New York City police officer.

The investigation was aided by informants who recorded thousands of conversations by suspected Mobsters.

FBI Assistant Director Janice Fedarcyk said 127 suspects have been indicted.

"Today's arrests and charges mark an important step forward in disrupting La Cosa Nostra's illegal activities," Holder said. "This largest single-day operation … sends the message that our fight against traditional organized crime is strong and our commitment is unwavering.

"This is an ongoing effort, and it must and will remain a top priority for all of us," Holder said.

The massive raid involved more than 800 law enforcement personnel.

Among the major figures charged:

• Luigi Manocchio, 83, alleged former boss of the New England La Cosa Nostra (LCN).

• Andrew Russo, 76, alleged street boss of the Colombo family.

• Benjamin Castellazzo, 73, alleged acting underboss of the Colombo family.

• Richard Fusco, 74, alleged consigliere of the Colombo family.

• Joseph Corozzo, 69, alleged consigliere of the Gambino family.

• Bartolomeo Vernace, 61, alleged member of the Gambino family administration.

The arrests are the result of multiple investigations. Federal probes aided by Mob turncoats have decimated the families' ranks in recent years and have resulted in lengthy prison terms for several leaders.

Friday, a federal judge in Brooklyn sentenced John "Sonny" Franzese, 93, to eight years in prison for extorting Manhattan strip clubs and a pizzeria on Long Island.

In October, Mafia turncoat Salvatore Vitale was sentenced to time served after federal prosecutors praised his total betrayal of his own crime syndicate — and after he apologized to the families of his victims.

Authorities said he had a hand in at least 11 murders, including that of a fellow gangster in the fallout from the infamous Donnie Brasco case.

I wonder how many lambo owners were arrested. :eusa_think:

Probably zero.

Mafia guys don't own flashy exotics for the most part, especially bosses.

Probably zero.

I was joking, but as we know no exotic owner has ever bought a car with ill gotten gains. :lol2:

Probably zero.

Just curious, how come? Is this part of keeping hidden and a low-profile?

Being from the Mafia myself I can assure you that we prefer to stay in the shadows and keep a low-profile....black lincoln town cars are still the preferred vehicle of choice for "stealth" commuting. ;)

Being from the Mafia myself I can assure you that we prefer to stay in the shadows and keep a low-profile....black lincoln town cars are still the preferred vehicle of choice for "stealth" commuting. ;)

I thought you guys use the S Class Benz too? Or is that not the New York Mafia? :icon_mrgreen:

Not condoning illegality, however.... In this day and age, are the limited resources of the federal government REALLY best marshaled by going after a bunch of fcuking octogenarians, whose best days ended 30 years ago?

Does anybody else get the sense that this administration is living in some sort of god damned time warp where its 1962.

It seems to me that international terrorism would be a higher priority, inasmuch as they are actively targeting innocent people, and that if the government wanted to be SERIOUS about targeting organized crime, they might be better off to look into the CRIPS, BLOODS, Mara Salvatrucha, 18th street, and now increasingly in the southern states, the invasion of the Zetas?

Not condoning illegality, however.... In this day and age, are the limited resources of the federal government REALLY best marshaled by going after a bunch of fcuking octogenarians, whose best days ended 30 years ago?

Does anybody else get the sense that this administration is living in some sort of god damned time warp where its 1962.

It seems to me that international terrorism would be a higher priority, inasmuch as they are actively targeting innocent people, and that if the government wanted to be SERIOUS about targeting organized crime, they might be better off to look into the CRIPS, BLOODS, Mara Salvatrucha, 18th street, and now increasingly in the southern states, the invasion of the Zetas?

+1. Somebody got stuck on the slow train, arrested a bunch of folks who mattered 30 years ago. This is irrelevant I dispute their reality.

Yeah, it was a big deal portrayed in Goodfellas....wacking a couple for buying a pink cadillac after the Lufthansa Heist. :lol2:

John Gotti was supposedly making millions a year (cash!) in the late '80s and lived in a small house in Howard Beach, Queens...probably worth $100-150k back then, maybe $600-700k now.

He actually was the sole flashy mobster....the rest you don't hear about, except after these big raids.

and that if the government wanted to be SERIOUS about targeting organized crime, they might be better off to look into the CRIPS, BLOODS, Mara Salvatrucha, 18th street, and now increasingly in the southern states, the invasion of the Zetas?

:iamwithstupid:

At least my 3rd world buddies don't do carjackings and street violence of random civilians. :icon_thumleft:

See, it was easier to catch a bunch of 75year olds than bunch of 25year olds.

They will catch some leaders of these gangs too... right after newyear 2061.

Maybe the FBI wanted a big headline?

I cant imagine anybody who is really impressed by it... My reaction was :jackoff:

I cant imagine anybody who is really impressed by it... My reaction was :jackoff:

Really? My first reaction was to call Uncle Tony, then cousin Vinny.

I think it probably can be a big bust if the details had like, obscene amounts of money funneling to fianace some terrorist organisation, maybe the suspects tied to hundreds of murders or something of similar magitude. Old guys can be ruthless too, I would'nt take age as weakness or lack of brutality.