Middle East and North Africa

capt_chaos

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So rediculous what's going on in Libya these past few days, I can't believe their mainstream army can't overthrow the few paid mercs Khadaffi has left.

Just a matter of time, can't wait to see his head on a stick. :icon_mrgreen:

So rediculous what's going on in Libya these past few days, I can't believe their mainstream army can't overthrow the few paid mercs Khadaffi has left.

the main stream army is very under funded, and untrained, over the decades he has purposely weakened the army in an attempt to solidify his privates police power

the main stream army is very under funded, and untrained, over the decades he has purposely weakened the army in an attempt to solidify his privates police power

That makes sense, no wonder. His personal version of the SS, right out of the Despot 101 playbook.

capt_chaos tip of the day.

Go ahead in time to create this image by nearly burning a jacket potato and put a wig on it. Then insert the stick.

I don't think it's just 'one clown' stating that. Similar stories have been reported on major media outlets, blogs, via phone to programs like WHYS.

If you do not find sources like BBC, Reuters, NPR, AP and others like them credible, then there is no point I discussing this matter with you.

Journalist standards have not fallen, you just need to stop watching the entertainment news media.

Unless given press releases to report on major media outlets are nigh on worthless for up to date news esp when the news is a rapidly destabilising country which they have no access to. Maybe one week later they will have the facts but they are never on the ball and will commonly make up shit / latch onto unsubstantiated rumors because they simply cannot launch a Der Spiegel type investigation for each wire they put out.

For example:

1. One syndicated article from one of Asia's leading news agencies says Gaddafi's nurse it staying with him, "My mother has not been in touch for a long time. I cannot reach her" her daughter says:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/m...how/7583985.cms

2. A second article is an AFP wire published at almost the exact same time (6hr time difference between India and Aus) THE "voluptuous" Ukrainian nurse US diplomats believe accompanies Libyan ruler Muammar Gaddafi is about to return home to Kiev, her daughter says. "(Mum) called yesterday. She says that she is in Tripoli," Tatyana Kolotnytska told the daily today.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/gadda...0-1226012653975

Asia's leading news wire says she is staying, AFP says she is going. Whilst this issue is certainly not on the same level as the allegations of strafing attacks on protestors it shows that even the respected 'main stream media' sometimes doesn't know whats up. I'd like to paraphrase what you said and conclude with this:

"If you DO take sources like BBC, Reuters, NPR, AP and others as gospel then there is no point I discussing this matter with you."

If you want to know what is going on there are plenty of blogs offering perspectives from the post 'liberated' nations and the current developmetns in rioting nations. They will put you ahead of the ball much better than news wires can.

Guest Rob Burgundy
If this shit hits Saudi Arabia, get ready for trouble.

What's the best and worst case scenario?

If this shit hits Saudi Arabia, get ready for trouble.

It's bound to happen sooner or later, I just assume have it happen now and get it over with.

To bad Gadaffi can't make a quick get away on his yacht...

Saudi is safe for the forseeable future, but past 10 years is difficult to estimate.

Unlike Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Iran, and other monarchies (or tyrannies), Saudi Arabia DOES have members within the King's own family (brothers, nephews, etc) who are untoucable under law and can't be silenced, and are very vocal about wanting the King to change policies towards Women, the people, and other considerations. So there are voices that the common people feel DO represent their desire for change to some extent, albeit small.

In the other more volatile nations the down-trodden had no one speaking for them, no one to represent their anger in an official capacity. They were silenced.

Also unlike the other nations, Saudi not only has money, but they're willing to use it to pacify the public if they have to. A bribe so to speak.

As an example, they recently committed to spending half a trillion (with a T) dollars over the next 10 years purely for job creation (as a thinly-veiled way to pay off the angry unemployed), which will help keep the larger part of the less-comitted dissenting voices quiet.

There are several other regimes that would fall before Saudi, Kuwait, and other more well-off nations who DO re-invest oil dollars back into the country instead of their pockets, but eventually of course they all will likely fall over the next 50 years.

Just not tomorrow, or next month, or even the next decade.

Best case if widespread unrest hits KSA would be fear in the markets and a painful spike would hit oil. Worst case if this unrest blows up would be destruction to some oil wells, pipelines, equipment supply chains, tankers, ships and an even bigger increase in oil prices, if this happened the growing voices who started calling for a Libyan invasion when Gaddafi (supposedly) threatened to destroy the oil fields would have even more ammo to work with. If this happens we're all fucked lol.

There is no best case scenario. The desire for democracy burns in the hearts of the people of the MIddle-East. It is a fire that will consume ALL of the depots now in control. All we can do is prepare for the blowback!!

Saudi is safe for the forseeable future, but past 10 years is difficult to estimate.

Unlike Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Iran, and other monarchies (or tyrannies), Saudi Arabia DOES have members within the King's own family (brothers, nephews, etc) who are untoucable under law and can't be silenced, and are very vocal about wanting the King to change policies towards Women, the people, and other considerations. So there are voices that the common people feel DO represent their desire for change to some extent, albeit small.

In the other more volatile nations the down-trodden had no one speaking for them, no one to represent their anger in an official capacity. They were silenced.

Also unlike the other nations, Saudi not only has money, but they're willing to use it to pacify the public if they have to. A bribe so to speak.

As an example, they recently committed to spending half a trillion (with a T) dollars over the next 10 years purely for job creation (as a thinly-veiled way to pay off the angry unemployed), which will help keep the larger part of the less-comitted dissenting voices quiet.

There are several other regimes that would fall before Saudi, Kuwait, and other more well-off nations who DO re-invest oil dollars back into the country instead of their pockets, but eventually of course they all will likely fall over the next 50 years.

Just not tomorrow, or next month, or even the next decade.

132 strong group of academics, activists and businessmen and other groups calling for constitutional monarchy, expanded female participation in public life and 12,600 have become 'fans' of a planned KSA 'Day of Rage' on March 11.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/artic...5b1c6a29c99.a31

Perhaps the current kingdom will remain beyond the next decade but is certainly a possibility for stormy times in the near future, even minor unrest will drive oil prices up.

There is no best case scenario. The desire for democracy burns in the hearts of the people of the MIddle-East. It is a fire that will consume ALL of the depots now in control. All we can do is prepare for the blowback!!

Based on the demands in the news article I linked 'blowback' might include HIGH oil prices but it hardly seems like there is a radical undertow driving these protests.

132 strong group of academics, activists and businessmen and other groups calling for constitutional monarchy, expanded female participation in public life and 12,600 have become 'fans' of a planned KSA 'Day of Rage' on March 11.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/artic...5b1c6a29c99.a31

Perhaps the current kingdom will remain beyond the next decade but is certainly a possibility for stormy times in the near future, even minor unrest will drive oil prices up.

:iamwithstupid:

Just the fact that the repressed have so many high-end groups on their side is a strong justification to stay peaceful...for now. Ultimately if changes don't occur then things will change.

The Kingdom has in recent years shown more flexibility, especially in knowing the temperature of the room. They're not insane assclowns like Mubarack and Khadaffi, they tend to have good PR firms and polling consultants telling them where they're weak and where the danger issues lie.

Tough to see any of these regimes lasting beyond another decade, but that's what I thought after Tiananmen's Square in 1989 too... :eusa_wall:

:iamwithstupid:

Just the fact that the repressed have so many high-end groups on their side is a strong justification to stay peaceful...for now. Ultimately if changes don't occur then things will change.

The Kingdom has in recent years shown more flexibility, especially in knowing the temperature of the room. They're not insane assclowns like Mubarack and Khadaffi, they tend to have good PR firms and polling consultants telling them where they're weak and where the danger issues lie.

Tough to see any of these regimes lasting beyond another decade, but that's what I thought after Tiananmen's Square in 1989 too... :eusa_wall:

Agree 100%. Whilst there is significant justified discontent in Saudi I think the chance of widespread unrest short term is low.

With China post 89 I think the average person puts up with the authoritarian regime because they don't want to upset the constant income growth and development that they've enjoyed. On the other hand Saudi economy seemingly only grows and receeds with the oil price so chances of that I don't think the current regime will be around as long.

deal.jpg

Lol.

Agree 100%. Whilst there is significant justified discontent in Saudi I think the chance of widespread unrest short term is low.

With China post 89 I think the average person puts up with the authoritarian regime because they don't want to upset the constant income growth and development that they've enjoyed. On the other hand Saudi economy seemingly only grows and receeds with the oil price so chances of that I don't think the current regime will be around as long.

Very true, the boat doesn't rock when you're sitting on 20% annualized returns in your local stock market for the past decade...

After their first bubble pops, inevitably soon, we'll see how it goes over there.

Recently Chinese leadership attempted to raise their massively-subsidized gasoline prices just 17 cents per gallon to fight off inflation fears (which would have their citizens paying a piddly $1.10 a gallon :rolleyes:) and just that caused mass demonstrations...they went crazy about going from paying $0.88 per gallon gas to $1.10, can't imagine what they'll do when they realize for the first time in their history that stocks can go DOWN as much as they go UP... :icon_mrgreen:

The problem w/ The Kingdom is- 200 years of forced Wahabism. There is no "moderate wing" of Islam in KSA. What the Royal family practices is as "moderate" as it gets. But they have cemented their rule by feeding the extremists (who are always willing to move the country even FURTHER into the 6th century). They made the proverbial deal with devil... And the devil always gets paid off in the end.

Long story short, if the Kingdom falls without a serious presence from the west to "guide" where it lands.... Very bad things WILL happen.

I don't think the Kingdom will fall. It's the center of Islam. Mecca/Medina. BIG money there. I just don't see it happening. But who knows. It's all up to the people.

Worst case scenario, Kingdom falls hard. Just for something to think about, what do you guys think gas prices would jump up to?