The downside to driving an exotic car...

abolfaz

Really unwanted attention!

He also told the grand jurors that sometimes, when he sees somebody driving a Ferrari, he’ll check to see if they make enough money to afford it. When I called Mr. Nordlander and others at the I.R.S. to ask whether this was an appropriate way to choose subjects for criminal tax investigations, my questions were met with a stone wall of silence.

I just got audited. They suggested no changes to my return, but I suggested an extra $15K in expenses that I found ;)

Taxes -- guilty until proven innocent. It's unbelievable that it's constitutional, then again, maybe not haha

I wouldn't mind being on the front page of the N.Y. Times as being the guy that paid the most taxes in the U.S. But 99% of I.R.S. auditors are assholes and jealous of anyone with wealth.

I just got audited. They suggested no changes to my return, but I suggested an extra $15K in expenses that I found ;)

Taxes -- guilty until proven innocent. It's unbelievable that it's constitutional, then again, maybe not haha

UMMM....yeah its NOT constitutional.

I wouldn't mind being on the front page of the N.Y. Times as being the guy that paid the most taxes in the U.S. But 99% of I.R.S. auditors are assholes and jealous of anyone with wealth.

:iamwithstupid:

Wow, its amazing what some of these guys will do. I know several people that drive expensive cars that would have serious problems if this were to happen. You would think they would have better things to do but I guess its much easier to bully the little guys.

"But 99% of I.R.S. auditors are assholes and jealous of anyone with wealth."

Shortly after my buddy bought a really nice house in a new neighborhood he was audited. He didn't put that together until he had a conversation with the agent. "That's a really nice house you have over on XXXXXXXXX drive. How are you paying for that house?" Several other details came out that led my buddy to believe that the IRS guy just drove around nice neighborhoods and looked for SOLD signs and then started investigations.

Several other details came out that led my buddy to believe that the IRS guy just drove around nice neighborhoods and looked for SOLD signs and then started investigations.

I just don't get the incentive for the investigator...

Does anyone know how IRS investigators get compensated/reviewed?

A smug sense of self-satisfaction and jealousy.

Is an audit after an expensive car purchase something that could really trigger an audit? How is this possible?

Nothing new I'm afraid, I got the IRS on my ass one month after I bought my first Lambo :( I played honest and beat them but still, they suck!

That's funny, I never heard from them at all, and my money just popped up out of nowhere in Sweden, since I transferred it from Norway lol! Kinda strange it didn't cause a flag to be raised...

Is an audit after an expensive car purchase something that could really trigger an audit? How is this possible?

Depends what gets done to make it known you have the car. If you try to claim an exotic car as a business expense, don't be surprised if they come asking questions. Lots of information gets passed around to lots of places. Who knows what goes where. Most returns are probably flagged using algorithms, after which they are looked at more closely by humans. There are hundreds of millions of tax returns and such coming in, so it's highly unlikely that they'd pull a random return and audit it.

I hope this doesn't happen to me when I get the money from my distant Nigerian uncle who recently died.

YES! You don't know how many people I know whose downfall came about because an expensive car, home or yacht caught the attention of a law enforcement officer. I know someone that just lost the last three years of their lives fighting one such law enforcement officer ($58k/year) and prosecutor ($71K/year and a prius owner) for these very reasons. What torqued the asshat prosecutor the worst wasn't the expensive home but the wifes Aston and the lambo in the driveway! Worse yet, after $250K+ in legal fees and literally millions of lost income the state finally realized the prosecutor was a nut job, removed him from the case then promptly dropped all the charges and all literally because of a fcuking car.

That's funny, I never heard from them at all, and my money just popped up out of nowhere in Sweden, since I transferred it from Norway lol! Kinda strange it didn't cause a flag to be raised...

THEY ARE WATCHING YOU :ninja:

BUt in all seriousness, I was being told from owners, be careful, they will come, and they did - but since I luckily had nothing to hide, 6 months later the pitbull IRS let go of my neck :icon_thumleft: But they sure do know how to fcuk up your life :(

YES! You don't know how many people I know whose downfall came about because an expensive car, home or yacht caught the attention of a law enforcement officer. I know someone that just lost the last three years of their lives fighting one such law enforcement officer ($58k/year) and prosecutor ($71K/year and a prius owner) for these very reasons. What torqued the asshat prosecutor the worst wasn't the expensive home but the wifes Aston and the lambo in the driveway! Worse yet, after $250K+ in legal fees and literally millions of lost income the state finally realized the prosecutor was a nut job, removed him from the case then promptly dropped all the charges and all literally because of a fcuking car.

Let me guess, he got no compensation for having his life ruined?

Couldnt he sue for being treated this way?

I just finished off paying a large sum to these guys, little over 500k. I called them with the problem they were unaware off, wanted to do the right thing and resolve it, they came in guns ablazing! They were and are ruthless, make accusations and provide no documentation to you only threats. Officer actually told me he had a bet with his superior on whether or not I would make it through the process.

The last thing you ever want to hear is "I'm with the government and I'm here to help". You have no friends there unless your connected. They are ruthless, arrogant and uncaring and like to flaunt their power. Maybe this is only true on the lower field agent levels due to having to deal with a lot of aholes, don't know.

Anyways now that it's behind me my CPA heard from an agent that they receive "commissions" (for lack of a better word) based on how successful they are. Don't know if it's true.

I just finished off paying a large sum to these guys, little over 500k. I called them with the problem they were unaware off, wanted to do the right thing and resolve it, they came in guns ablazing! They were and are ruthless, make accusations and provide no documentation to you only threats. Officer actually told me he had a bet with his superior on whether or not I would make it through the process.

The last thing you ever want to hear is "I'm with the government and I'm here to help". You have no friends there unless your connected. They are ruthless, arrogant and uncaring and like to flaunt their power. Maybe this is only true on the lower field agent levels due to having to deal with a lot of aholes, don't know.

Anyways now that it's behind me my CPA heard from an agent that they receive "commissions" (for lack of a better word) based on how successful they are. Don't know if it's true.

One thing I forgot, I give them credit for not being as bad as the state of Ca. They are true extortioners in every sense of the word.

• 1 year later...

(sorry old thread!!)

WOW absolutely crazy story.

And the guy was legitimate - not a drug dealer or criminal ?

I would be livid, that's insane....