This makes my blood boil! Hang them all!!!

rmtn

btw in islam woman actually have MORE rights than men. It's culture of different societies that we see here today all over the news and the internet. Not islam.

could you please provide examples?

From what Ive read in the Quran men were allowed multiple wives, and "slave girls". Men are allowed to beat their [multiple] wives. In the case of a parent passing away, a daughter would receive half (or some fraction) of the amount a brother would receive. I havent read all of it (I wanted to throw up after I got half way through) so maybe I missed some parts that were giving women more rights.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not that religion is only going to be as good as the people who practice it, its that the people who practice is will only be as good as the teachings of the religion, as they will know no better.

People will always twist and turn things to their liking and advantage, be it religion or politics.

People will always twist and turn things to their liking and advantage, be it religion or politics.

and how has religion been twisted to someone's advantage in this case? who is better off in this alternative? you cant say it was the rapist or his wife because technically he was punished too (but "got away" :rolleyes: ), plus they weren't the ones who made these rules.

you cant really twist politics, because its the twisting of religion and and society that is politics.

Sure,

yet why are the people able to hide behind religion to get off scott free?

Are they?

Whether religious beliefs are true or not, they are supposed to encourage people to behave BETTER than they would if they were left to the laws of nature. Unfortunately, Religion is only going to be as good as the people who practice it.

And there are a lot of evil people who use religion to justify their actions.

Is RELIGION Bad? No.... The PEOPLE who do evil in its name are BAD.

Very good point.

On a side note, you can substitute the word "religion" for "law" or "justice system" and make just about the same argument. I think this does a good job of clarifying my previous comment, as I don't think one can argue that the underlying basis of "law" does not firmly lie as a method of controlling the masses.

:iamwithstupid:

We're just too politically correct of a society to point Islamic law and say "out with the barbarianism". Chills me to think some people advocate sharia to be brought here :eusa_naughty:

Im not trying to offend muslims particularly, because as an atheist I dont like the very concept of religion altogether, but islam (and its very teachings) gets my bloodboiling more than any other faith.

It's not limited to Islam. How about homosexuals that are imprisoned, beaten, and/or killed in the streets under "Christian" and other extremist religious "faiths". Sharia Law is a problem for those in Islamic nations, that many younger generations are growingly against. But, the same violence, the same bloodshed is spilled by every theology, every culture, every part of the world. Think of the countless people currently being used as prostitutes, or body farms, and other vile acts for profits within the "Black Market". Human trafficing crosses all borders and, inhumane treatment is a norm within every part of the globe.

But, what can a Westerner do to persuade someone from an entirely different culture, heritage, etc.? Yes, confront all torturers and oppressors...but don't forget our own sins.

This world needs a good clean up, those savages should not be allowed to get away with this, I don't care what justifications they use, religion, culture, politics.

To me there are things that make sense and there are things that don't.

These type of scumbags should be judged at international level, the whole world should decide their faith, those acts of savagery have no place in today's society just because some people had the misfortune of being born in a crap hole of a country that does not mean they should have no human rights or basic freedoms a human must enjoy.

I would hunt and take down every single scumbag that was instrumental in that girl's death and I would do so in every other case until they learn that there are consequences to their stupid actions.

It's not limited to Islam. How about homosexuals that are imprisoned, beaten, and/or killed in the streets under "Christian" and other extremist religious "faiths".

Where is this happening?

I can't think of a single Christian Theocracy any where in the world (except for maybe VATICAN fcuking CITY, and I know they aren't stoning the gays).

sure religion wasn't bad THEN, when it was created. but by modern standards we cannot hold the same values, morals and justice systems held by societies of old (as shown by the fact that sharia was banned as mentioned in the article, and it was unfortunate that such things should still happen)

Its not that religion is only going to be as good as the people who practice it, its that the people who practice is will only be as good as the teachings of the religion, as they will know no better.

Do you really think that BUT FOR Islam, these particular people (who sound like they're the East Asian version of the People from Deliverance) would be opening Abocromby & Fitch Franchises and going to women's rights parades? These fcuking people dont even have indoor plumbing.

The fact is, these fcuking people are prehistoric. It wouldnt matter if they were Islamic or Amish or Atheists, they would act like fcuking neanderthals, because THATS what they are.

That is unblievable!! I would go ape shit on those people!

Some what OT but there's a great French Canadian movie called Incendies which some what trelates to this kind of thing. It is in French but I'm sure there's a subtitled version... well worth watching.

Shit like this has been going on for years and it is not about to stop. The western world is now more exposed to these acts of barbarism thanks to technology but unfortunately there really isn't much we can do but shake our heads and feel disgusted.

The combination of poverty, stupidity and lack of education is a very powerful one that is detrimental to all mankind irrelevent of background , race or religion.

This world needs a good clean up, those savages should not be allowed to get away with this, I don't care what justifications they use, religion, culture, politics.

To me there are things that make sense and there are things that don't.

These type of scumbags should be judged at international level, the whole world should decide their faith, those acts of savagery have no place in today's society just because some people had the misfortune of being born in a crap hole of a country that does not mean they should have no human rights or basic freedoms a human must enjoy.

I would hunt and take down every single scumbag that was instrumental in that girl's death and I would do so in every other case until they learn that there are consequences to their stupid actions.

Fortis,

This is just one of a thousand examples that occur daily; it's lucky to have made the news. A classic example of primitive behaviour, which is unfortunately a common occurence in lesser-developed countries where rationale takes a back seat to "religion" as a way of policing the people.

To quote someone above me, 'religion is only as good as the people who practice it'.

Rob/Skokos, I know you are just trying to bring a little humor to the thread with the sarcasm, but your post and the attached picture are making my blood boil just as much as the OP's new story itself. Maybe I'm alone on that thought -- I'm not trying to take a jab at you personally.

Shit like this has been going on for years and it is not about to stop. The western world is now more exposed to these acts of barbarism thanks to technology but unfortunately there really isn't much we can do but shake our heads and feel disgusted.

The combination of poverty, stupidity and lack of education is a very powerful one that is detrimental to all mankind irrelevent of background , race or religion.

Are they?

Well from what I've read before I certainly got that feeling. Googled a little, found this piece.

http://m.spokesman.com/stories/2011/mar/09...iests-on-leave/

Church officials did not identify the priests, but said that today and again this weekend, they will inform the parishes and other “affected communities” where the priests worked.

But in general... I swear I might start selling my "get out of jail free" cards for 5k a piece.. when on trial, simply say "It was for Love" if a woman is involved and 'It was God's hand leading me" if it was not... trigger words that mess up logic for the jury.

Then there is this asshole - Ted Haggard. Telling people to be proper and give money to his cause. While he's doing meth and blowing gay prostitutes.

"Back in the old days," said Haggard, "when somebody would get in trouble, they'd just need to move 40 or 50 miles, or a hundred miles, and they could start again. Not anymore. Which is one of the reasons why we needed to come home. Because I needed to finish this story from here."

On June 6, 2010 the first meeting of the St. James Church occurred with Haggard as the Pastor in Colorado Springs, Colorado at his home.[61] In a July 2010 interview he gave to CNN,[citation needed] Haggard claims that his feelings of sexual attraction to other men have miraculously disappeared. Haggard now portrays his encounter with the prostitute as a massage that went awry.[62]

Guest Rob Burgundy

Its starts from the minutes they are born. Theres no chance for them not to have it force fed down there throat 24/7

Its not going to get any better anytime soon. I think we should stop sending any help their way and let natural selection run its course..they would devour themselves in no time.

If you look at most suicide bombers/terrorists, many are educated. Many of the batshit crazy leaders have poisoned many young people's brains with what they interpret as the "word of God" in the Qur'an, and coerce perfectly sane people into blowing themselves up. It's a common misnomer that all these crazies are uneducated and live in poverty in the mountains - simply not true.

A favorite of mine: "With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."

If you look at most suicide bombers/terrorists, many are educated. Many of the batshit crazy leaders have poisoned many young people's brains with what they interpret as the "word of God" in the Qur'an, and coerce perfectly sane people into blowing themselves up. It's a common misnomer that all these crazies are uneducated and live in poverty in the mountains - simply not true.

A favorite of mine: "With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."

In Iran where people are still publicly stoned, and other Islamic countries where girls are married against their will at ages well before 14, it is completely false to say that they are all impoverished or uneducated. Its not like we are talking about tribes people who live in huts or anything along those lines. They are still decently educated and not all live in poverty.

Thats the problem with religious law. Religion for the most part cannot be changed, especially the Quran. So while it may have been ok for girls to be wed before the age of 14 back then, to continue to want to practice the same things today is just barbaric.

Compared to the law, where things can be changed when society changes its view on a subject (ie a woman's right to vote), religious teachings can not. Its only when religion and state are separate that progress can be made.

Where is this happening?

I can't think of a single Christian Theocracy any where in the world (except for maybe VATICAN fcuking CITY, and I know they aren't stoning the gays).

EXACTLY. Christians do not kill people in the name of their faith, not gays or adulterers. Don't insult my intelligence by bringing up the 'Crusades' either.

Humans are very violent animals, that's why we invented civilization. People who lack civilizaion of course will usually be savage, especially if they adhere to a violent religion. The story of humanity is one of poverty and misery.

I thought dolphins invented civilization.

Sid Meier stole it from the dolphins and made gazillions

EXACTLY. Christians do not kill people in the name of their faith, not gays or adulterers. Don't insult my intelligence by bringing up the 'Crusades' either.

Im not going to go after Christianity as I dont know enough about its teachings or history, though I do know that abortion clinics have been blown up in the US, am I right?

Its always religion that ends up holding back progress in civilizations. The greatest struggles of science and historical philosophy have been against religion. Forward thinking such as the gay-rights movements and the women's rights movements see opposition whose basis is religious teachings. Some cases are extreme, as is the one this thread is based on. Others aren't as extreme but the issue is still there in religion's lack of forward thinking. Don't get me wrong, many of the greatest scientists in history have been religious, however thats not the point.