Anyone else annoyed by the "What do you do for a living" question??

fast1

I have always been a fan of exotic cars, since a young age. With that said, I have never once asked an owner out and about what they do for a living or the other silly questions. That is not a behavior I learned specifically. I guess you could just call it common respect. Respect the owner, respect the car.

Also, I never had to learn how to behave at car shows or around exotics - I just knew. Arms and hands behind the back, stay a good couple feet away from the car itself and observe. You will see me to this day around exotics with the same respect. Just because I'm around them a lot more now doesn't change that.

If I want to know about the car, there is this great tool called the internet to research, as well as books and magazines. I know that these cars attract a lot of attention and that owners will get tired of it. I still get excited to see these cars and will usually offer a smile and thumbs up, or if I say anything it is calmly to the tune of "Beautiful [insert car make and/or model here], sir." - that's it.

I can read the owner and determine whether to offer a verbal vs. nonverbal acknowledgement or to simply observe the car from where I am.

:iamwithstupid:

Spot on.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And what snobbery are we talking about? Owning an exotic does not make you public property. Some guys buy the cars for what they represent while others just like to own nice cars.

I agree it does not hurt to be nice to people and i will not go out of my way to be nasty to anyone but why do i have to answer questions from a total stranger ? I don't know him/her, i don't want to know them and they are not my friends.

Why am i a snob or a jerk for not catering to everyone's inquiries when i am minding my own business . It takes balls in the first place to go to a stranger and ask them a whole bunch of personal questions and one has no right to be offended when the stranger refuses to answer the questions.

Just because you ask does not mean you are entitled to an answer. It is actually none of their business.

You and VBOX pretty much summed it up. Like he said, you probably wouldn't randomly ask a stranger with a nice house what he does for a living. And maybe it isn't even necessarily the specific question (it's just asked the most) but more that fact that it's like there is supposed to be some obligation on my end to divulge some wide array of somewhat-personal information to a total stranger just because I decided to open the door of my car or stand next to it pumping gas. I bought my car for me. I didn't buy it to get people to look at me. I've had a variety of nice cars that I've toyed with and enjoyed in a number of ways. I never once did this hoping to gain attention. I understand a Lamborghini draws attention, but that's not the reason I purchased it. I'm not new to nice cars, but I'm pretty new to exotics, and I'm already getting burned out on that part lol. I really feel for some of you guys that have been into exotics and high end luxury cars for a long time...

You and VBOX pretty much summed it up. Like he said, you probably wouldn't randomly ask a stranger with a nice house what he does for a living. And maybe it isn't even necessarily the specific question (it's just asked the most) but more that fact that it's like there is supposed to be some obligation on my end to divulge some wide array of somewhat-personal information to a total stranger just because I decided to open the door of my car or stand next to it pumping gas. I bought my car for me. I didn't buy it to get people to look at me. I've had a variety of nice cars that I've toyed with and enjoyed in a number of ways. I never once did this hoping to gain attention. I understand a Lamborghini draws attention, but that's not the reason I purchased it. I'm not new to nice cars, but I'm pretty new to exotics, and I'm already getting burned out on that part lol. I really feel for some of you guys that have been into exotics and high end luxury cars for a long time...

Dude, it's a way for people to dream, to convince themselves that there is a shortcut and that you might tell them the real secret and they too will have a Lambo. It's a joke.

Watch what happens if you answer "my parents are rich" or "I worked 60 hours a week since 15 moving furniture" I BET you anything the feedback is going to be "Oh, nevermind" since you can't provide the "trick"

I understand being asked by random people on the street what you do for a living when you drive a car that's worth more than their house.

I come up with all sort of things all polite, not making eye contact is rule number one, if they are persistent briefly acknowledge them by being very polite but not engaging usually you are out of there sub 5 seconds and they don't think you are a dick.

What I don't understand is being interrogated by wealthy people when in their company, usually because of age or the way you dress, they should know it is rude :icon_mrgreen: due to their competitiveness most successful people are trying to use it as a gauge to figure out where they stand.

I never care what others do, I admire success but I am not interested unless they openly start talking about it, some people are frustrated that you don't ask because they are dying to talk about it :icon_mrgreen:

Funny story, no car related.

Few weeks ago I was invited by my personal banker to a presentation, something to do with self managed superannuation funds.

Each banker was supposed to invite one of their best clients, when I walked in the room T-shirt, shorts etc you get the picture I was greeted by 6 or 7 guys that looked like they were dressed ready to go to a wedding or a funeral :icon_mrgreen:

I walked in said hi and dashed for the food, I didn't have breakfast meeting was at 8:30 AM, they looked at me up and down wondering what the delivery boy is doing eating their food, looking at me than looking at the door, their body language was telling me "I think you are in the wrong room!" I smiled I get that all the time, I know the look.

We sat down waiting for this "guru" financial adviser, when he walked in he recognized me and came to me to greet me, I was introduced to him by the bank few years back they wanted to get me to invest in shares, I told them at the time I will not buy anything I can't take home :)

He asked me how I was and how am I doing in business, I replied since I bought no share obviously quite well, we both laughed.

Before the meeting started one of the guys at the meeting was brave enough to ask the question that was on everyone's mind, he looked at me smiled and said I think everyone here we would like to know what you do to be so successful at your age.

I turned around and said, sorry, I don't deal with the public! Everyone laughed and the meeting started.

I laughed but that comment was rude, inappropriate and hurtful so I decided to be rude myself and not tell them.

At the end of the meeting some of them attempted the business card exchange trick but I don't have any business cards :icon_mrgreen:

As many said it is human nature almost instinctual to be curious, you can sometimes have fun with the questions but when you aren't in the mood you aren't in the mood.

All the attention Lambos get actually makes the experience less enjoyable for me. They are badass cars, so I deal with it....for awhile. I then will sell it and end up missing the car.

+1

I'm on my third one allready :)

Also hit them back with the same questions.

"What do you do for a living?"

"Programmer, what about you?"

"How much is that car? About 250k, how much did you pay for yours?"

LOL, I will try this next time!

Guest Dereiter

I am seeing a lot of various opinions which are good for me and not. IMO:

1) It is too high price to live in want and cheap inner life.

2) Our life is too short to think like "poor dad".

3) F**k mere words and phrases like: "I am short of cash", "I am short on brains", "I am overweight and short of breath", "things are in a bad way with me"... I can say with with certainty "LIFT YOUR ASS AND DO IT HOW YOU WANT AND WHAT YOU WANT, ONLY NOW, RIGHT NOW".

I earn money, drink an expensive wine, have meetings with nice girls and drive by Lambo. Why? Because i am Alexander aka Dereiter and i love my lucky life.

:)

As many said it is human nature almost instinctual to be curious, you can sometimes have fun with the questions but when you aren't in the mood you aren't in the mood.

i guess u were really hungry that morning.. :icon_mrgreen:

Surely the default LP response is because you are holding a Gas/petrol pump, spray them with it and wave a lighter in the air?

Do not have to, just let bystanders near the car, go buy pack of cigarets and Lambo will autoignite.

Carrying few 18y squirters is advisable, so it does not get too out of hand...

I don't think it's rude to ask someone that or anything. Purely out of curiosity. If some guy told me he had a private jet, I'd probably ask what he did too. However, I don't ask people to elaborate. If you tell me your industry and job title, that's plenty.

The reason I hate people asking me what I do is because they never really understand what I do and then ask me to elaborate and tell them more, what I do is boring, and I've explained it so many times that I just don't want to anymore. It's a dull conversation and leads to bullshit chit chat.

I'll gladly say online advertising/marketing, but I'd prefer to leave it at that and talk about a mutual interest.

I agree with what alot of others have said. I dont think Id have a problem with a question like that, as long as it was done respectfully. I know over the years I have asked a couple of guys on here what they do for a living to award them such success, but it was ONLY out of curiousity and admiration, as they are living the lifestyle I strive myself to attain :) (I would also hope of course never to offend anyone or come off as rude, while I'm sure there are those walking up to you at gas stations that couldnt care either way). I would think most of those are the exceptions though. Walking up to a complete stranger on the street and using that as your opener may come off as a little brassy to some, but in most cases I doubt the intent to be "rude" is there. More of just the inquisitive nature to learn about someone who has what YOU want! :)

Lambo's have a way of putting people in the twilight zone. For those that havent seen one in person yet or that dont see them very often, it is like seeing a unicorn cross your path. :icon_mrgreen: People are as curious about the owners that drive them as they are about the car itself.

Fact of the matter is this one the negatives of owning an exotic . The same old dumb questions asked by just about everyone you come across and you cannot win. If you answer, you might just end up getting into a long conversation and if you don't you are a dick.

I have thougth about having an FAQ sheet and keeping it in the car to hand out but even that is too much work lol. I know some guys will say it doesn't hurt to be nice and chat it up with people but it really gets old fast and sometimes you are just not in a mood to talk to anyone, nevermind being subjected to an interrogation.

The real trick is not make eye contact and even that doesn't work at times, so to the compliments just say thank you and walk away and i don't even bother answering all other questions.

A few of the larger yachts that dock downtown Halifax, Nova Scotia have something like this. but its a FAQ about the boat, never the owners

This whole thread kinda ignores the possibility that the person wanting to communicate might be one of us, a fellow knowledgeable enthusiast.

So what if someone asked you about how you like your e-gear versus stick, or if the superleggera is comfortable enough on the street, etc.....i.e., a real question?

Over the last few years, I don't recall talking to exotic car owners on the street that I didn't know, but I never had a bad response asking them an in the know question.

This whole thread kinda ignores the possibility that the person wanting to communicate might be one of us, a fellow knowledgeable enthusiast.

So what if someone asked you about how you like your e-gear versus stick, or if the superleggera is comfortable enough on the street, etc.....i.e., a real question?

Over the last few years, I don't recall talking to exotic car owners on the street that I didn't know, but I never had a bad response asking them an in the know question.

An enthusiast wouldn't start out the convo with, "What do you do for a living?" or "How much did that thing cost?"

I just tell everyone to fcuk off.. I see them walking over getting ready to say something.. I hitnthem with fcuk off... And theynturn around and walk the other way.

best one yet

damn i jumped on this one too late.

when people ask me what i do for work. i usually respond with

"work? whats that"