Pretty sad weekend

Lightning

Woke up on Saturday morning to a very scary voicemail from my Mom. She didnt say much except, "call me as soon as you get this", but I dont think I've ever heard her voice shake like that. I knew before I hit the send button to call her back that something was very wrong.

I found out that very late Friday night, my cousin Aaron (who was in his late 30's) was murdered in the home he shared with his GF. We were told that his GF had a son who had some serious drug problems. Having recently gotten out of jail, I guess he decided to pay his Mother and her new younger BF a visit.

Late Friday night, he broke into their apartment through a downstairs window. By the time they realized he was inside and dialed 911, he had made his way through the house and was about to break into their bedroom. When he got inside, he attempted to kill his Mom and my cousin intervened to save her life. The police arrived a few minutes later and were able to arrest the son and revive my cousins GF (who was also stabbed but survived). My cousin wasnt as lucky, and died at the scene. :(

My cousin was a great guy. When I was growing up he was like an older brother to me, and I remember him as a total rock star. He was someone I looked up to so much, and I have nothing but good memories of him. Unfortunately since I live in NJ and he now lived in Tennessee, I havent gotten to see him as often as I'd like, but when we did get together it was always a blast. My entire family loved him, he was just the type of guy everyone wanted to be around. He left behind a 15 year old son, my other cousin Jordan who is a spitting image of him. :( Another great guy and a kid my entire family is proud of.

As sad as it is that poor Jordan is left without a Father, theres another element of this story that is just as sad though.

When I was a freshman in college 10 years ago, my 17 year old cousin Meghan died in a car accident in Florida when a cement loader rolled out of the median without paying attention, and at 70 mph both my cousin and her friend were not able to stop in time. When that happened, we all wondered if my Uncle Frank (her Father) was going to make it, as to say he was "distraught" is an understatement. My Uncle only had 2 kids. One was Meghan. The other (as you might have suspected) was my cousin Aaron. They both left this world much too early before him.

My Uncle has been having some serious health problems, and a month ago he left for Florida to vacation for a month as he had thought the warm weather might do him some good. He was supposed to return this Friday to spend Easter Sunday with all of us up North, and recieved the phone call at his hotel in the middle of the night after it happened. We were all worried about him BEFORE this happened. Now, it is scary to think of the despair he must be feeling.

I just cannot imagine how devastating it must be to lose BOTH of your kids in 2 separate freak incidents...10 years apart from each other, when you are 69 years old and trying to enjoy your retirement. :( The thought of my little cousin Jordan having to live with the fact that his Father was killed like that, along with the sadness of knowing what my Uncle is going through has kept me awake for 2 nights now. I want to call them both so badly, but I was told not to as they are both not talking right now.

Just a terribly sad weekend. :(

Not much information in it, but heres the article if anyone is interested. My cousin was Frank Aaron Mazzitelli (went by "Aaron"). RIP to him. I'm going to miss him.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/...partme/?print=1

http://www.abc24.com/news/local/story/Man-...kyw.cspx?rss=59

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My condolences to the family.

Keep an eye on your uncle and look after his grandson as well.

May your cousin RIP.

Guest Rob Burgundy

Wow Mike. I am truly sorry for your loss. I hate seeing humans act like senseless animals,all it does is cause pain and the ripple effect reaches far beyond those directly affected. We are all connected and I wish everyone could see that before things like this took place. Love you buddy. Hang in there.

I hate to hear stories like this... My condolences to you and your family. It sounds like you are a tight nit family and that will help immensely (trust me).

WOW, so sorry to hear that man! I wish you and your family the best during such a difficult time.

mate, im sorry to hear it.

:( :( :(

i dont even know if there is any lesson to be taken from this, its just such a tragedy :(

wow....my condolences...what a tragic story. Treasure each and every day that we have with our loved ones!