Best cars as investments

Ag02M5

I actually made the decision between buying a car (BlueV10's 2004 Gallardo) and reinvesting the money this past year, and chose the latter. We'll see in the next 5 years if it pays off...

I do still salivate at the realization that I almost put a G in my garage though. :crybaby2:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CRX. I hear you can get a teggy for those.

After factoring reasonable inflation rates and sales fees on both ends, maintenance and repair, storage and insurance, please show me any car between 50 and 200k that could be considered a long term investment (10 years or more, provides rate of return over capital of greater than say 5% per annum).

My guess - nothing.

Well, for one the classic Ferraris shot up big time over the last 6-7 years (as have some of the older Lambos).

A 275 GTB/4 was like a $300k car, now it's around $900k+. A Daytona coupe was like $150k, now at least double if not more than that.

288 GTOs and F40s were $250-300k cars, now about double that.

LP400 & Miura were big for Lambo...double to triple value I believe.

Given their age, most of these cars were not going to be racking up mileage so their appreciation was pretty much a lock.

At the end of the day I don't think any automotive investment can truly beat a "proper" investment such as real estate, business, stock market, etc. (not without luck) but in the eyes of the car enthusiast, a $150k car that is bought in year 1 and was owned for zero money or a profit over several years is considered a big victory in his mind.

After you figure all of this in I would say nothing.

But my best guess would be a rarer Hemi car like a 70 Cuda or Challenger. Im not completely up on their value but I know they have tanked a lot. There was a 71 Cuda Hemi that sold on BJ for 4 mil a few years ago. 71s are FAR rarer than 70s. This would be my best guess, but still probably not very likely.

Muscle has some pretty outrageous gains in value lately, on par with Ferrari in the late '80s.

the muscle car boom was due in part to babyboomers demand for the cars they fell in love with as kids. By that same logic, one could assume that exotic cars from the 80s would make a come back.

air cooled porsches always seem to hold their values well, though many are still under 50K.

I would also suggest 80s era BMW M-models, M3s, M5s, and M6s. they are not quite 50K yet but they are starting to creep north.

I actually made the decision between buying a car (BlueV10's 2004 Gallardo) and reinvesting the money this past year, and chose the latter. We'll see in the next 5 years if it pays off...

I do still salivate at the realization that I almost put a G in my garage though. :crybaby2:

Life is too short not to live your dreams :icon_mrgreen:

Life is too short not to live your dreams :icon_mrgreen:

Soon enough my friend, soon enough. :icon_mrgreen:

Soon enough my friend, soon enough. :icon_mrgreen:

No rush Mike.

Cars and big boy's toys are sweet, but they have never been worth the expense if you're not fully comfortable doing it, IMO. :icon_mrgreen:

for now, you are riding your dream

:icon_thumleft:

No rush Mike.

Cars and big boy's toys are sweet, but they have never been worth the expense if you're not fully comfortable doing it, IMO. :icon_mrgreen:

I agree 100%! :icon_pidu: :)

countach (better if carbed)

365 or 512 BB

diablo (almost any model) but will need more time

I don't see any car as an investment but there is nothing wrong in taking a small percentage of your wealth and buy some nice toys.

I do though see this mindset as a way of choosing wisely to reduce your exposure and in some cases you may make a profit.

Oddly enough some vintage military vehicles make for an interesting purchase.

Vintage boats is another option too.

My "car" list...

Modern US...

Ford GT

Gen 2 ACR Viper

Non US Modern...

Carrera GT

Vintage...

way to many to list but you can't go wrong with a well sorted street or race classic Ferrari, Jag, Austin, Porsche, American Muscle, etc.

1. Ford GT

2. 993 Twin Screw

3. And for a short-term hold 00-03 M5

All of them have cult followings and they definitely don't seem to be depreciating much, if at all.

I'm seeing 03 M5s with 40K selling for more than 06 M5s with 40K

Not really investments, but amongst cars they seem solid.

1. Ford GT

2. 993 Twin Screw

All of them have cult followings and they definitely don't seem to be depreciating much, if at all.

Those are all on my short list. Good taste. I had an e39 M5...one of my fav cars hands down. I'm more partial to the 964/965 body but I think 993s will do well too.

I got about 130K of toy cars now - dinky corgi lesney/matchbox. about 700 of them all boxed. They are cheap to service and appreciate. :eusa_dance:

I kind of want an E39 M5(s that the right E#? lol), but I dont see them being worth that much money. I wont pay that much for them at least.

I kind of want an E39 M5(s that the right E#? lol), but I dont see them being worth that much money. I wont pay that much for them at least.

E39 M5s are very cool, but my main issues with them are that they can be expensive to service/repair things, and the mileage will be up there I'm sure.

Depending on how long you want to own them, they can be a good deal.

Those are all on my short list. Good taste. I had an e39 M5...one of my fav cars hands down. I'm more partial to the 964/965 body but I think 993s will do well too.

The E39 is sort of the end of an era for BMW. Nobody can argue that the M5 V10 is (and probably will always be) the pinnacle of internal combustion engineering but the 00-03 M5s are just special cars, can't put my finger on it. The 993s are also the end of an era, being one of the last hand-built air cooled cars, it was a dinosaur amongst the cave men for a long time- Porsche just wouldn't evolve thank God.

E39s are pricey to buy and pricey to own. But when you sell them you pretty much get all your money out.

A properly maintained (VANOS, Clutch, Brakes) E39 M5 with 15K-30K miles will bring $35 to $40K and that's actually increasing. By that account, so have 2004-2006 Gallardos. 2004 Gallardos were selling for $72 to $75K in early 09 and now wholesale auction prices they are in the 86 to 89 range.

There are the obvious ones, like the F40 and air-cooled 911 Turbos, but I am surprised no one has mentioned the 4th gen Supra.... Something tells me that if you can put a stock, low mile, 6 speed, rare color Supra on the auction block in 15 years it will be worth some serious coin. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned the '00 Cobra R either, but it always seems like there are people willing to spend big money on rare Mustangs. With that being said, I would never look at a car as an investment, but if I can keep it in my garage, admire it, drive it a few hundred miles per year and sell it for equal to or more than I paid for it I would call it a win in my book :icon_thumleft:

I would also suggest 80s era BMW M-models, M3s, M5s, and M6s. they are not quite 50K yet but they are starting to creep north.

:icon_mrgreen:

My vote is for the 2000-2006 S500 Lorinsor Edition (specifically white ones). This is a timeless car that will only increase in value from here on out (there is a reason that Mercedes kept this bodystyle around for awhile!). :icon_mrgreen:

(just for you RD! ;) )