UK Press 458 VS Mp4 458 wins all 3 From Fhat

Jim G

#1 Today, 09:35 AM

458 Italia vs McLaren MP4 Blighty - The UK press decides

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today I found 3 new editions of car magazines here in Jersey (Channel Islands) with the long-awaited head-to-head tests of the McLaren and 458.

I was utterly astonished to see the result:

458 - McLaren

3 - 0

In the UK press! We can be safe to say that the UK is (rightly) proud of McLaren's achievement and I, for one, am convinced that there has been a bias in the UK reviews like you would expect an Italian magazine to have for the Ferrari.

Nonetheless, the 3 magazines (AutoExpress, AutoCar and TopGear) each came to the same conclusion:

The McLaren is the technically superior, and slightly faster car. But it lacks soul. The Ferrari is fun below 60mph, the McLaren needs very high speeds to feel really special. Now I could have told them that before the test, but it is very cool to see 3 reviews come to that same conclusion. All three said the cars were very close in all respects. The TopGear review was fun - they tested on the Isle of Man with the 2011 TT bike race winner, and since there are no speed limits on Isle of Man....

Conclusion for all three: given the choice, the 458 please!

Hats off to Ron for his achievement, but it's not so easy to engineer passion into a car, is it?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the Autocar article last night

It has some interesting points. One point being that though the 12C is faster on paper and in timed events, on the real road the cars are just about even.

I've seen this with multiple cars on many, many events and rally's Ive done. You can throw that stupid VBOX shit out the window. Doesn't mean crap.

Speed is my passion, everything else can f*ck off. If the McLaren is the faster better handling car, it's the winner. You can put aftermarket exhaust systems for the sound.

#1 Today, 09:35 AM

458 Italia vs McLaren MP4 Blighty - The UK press decides

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today I found 3 new editions of car magazines here in Jersey (Channel Islands) with the long-awaited head-to-head tests of the McLaren and 458.

I was utterly astonished to see the result:

458 - McLaren

3 - 0

In the UK press! We can be safe to say that the UK is (rightly) proud of McLaren's achievement and I, for one, am convinced that there has been a bias in the UK reviews like you would expect an Italian magazine to have for the Ferrari.

Nonetheless, the 3 magazines (AutoExpress, AutoCar and TopGear) each came to the same conclusion:

The McLaren is the technically superior, and slightly faster car. But it lacks soul. The Ferrari is fun below 60mph, the McLaren needs very high speeds to feel really special. Now I could have told them that before the test, but it is very cool to see 3 reviews come to that same conclusion. All three said the cars were very close in all respects. The TopGear review was fun - they tested on the Isle of Man with the 2011 TT bike race winner, and since there are no speed limits on Isle of Man....

Conclusion for all three: given the choice, the 458 please!

Hats off to Ron for his achievement, but it's not so easy to engineer passion into a car, is it?

So, in other words, the McLaren is the superior and faster car but a bunch of car reviewers would rather have the Ferrari.

Honestly this sounds about right to me, and I give credit to the UK press for calling a spade a spade.

The only problem any of us have with the 458 is the "Seaquest DSV" styling.

Take the body of that car off, drop a Gallardo body on it, and you have the perfect car. :icon_mrgreen:

And I feel it validates the opinion that really everyone needs to drive the choices out there and make their own pick. Endlessly trying to "prove" one is superior to the other is silly, and has been for a loooooooooooong time now.

The LP570/458/MP4 are ALL incredible cars, separated by a hair's width in terms of first-to-worst. The raging debates on the board about this segment is just played out really.

Drive them, pick which one YOU like. Nothing else matters, including our opinions, magazine opinions, or anything else. :icon_thumleft:

Honestly this sounds about right to me, and I give credit to the UK press for calling a spade a spade.

The only problem any of us have with the 458 is the "Seaquest DSV" styling.

Take the body of that car off, drop a Gallardo body on it, and you have the perfect car. :icon_mrgreen:

And I feel it validates the opinion that really everyone needs to drive the choices out there and make their own pick. Endlessly trying to "prove" one is superior to the other is silly, and has been for a loooooooooooong time now.

The LP570/458/MP4 are ALL incredible cars, separated by a hair's width in terms of first-to-worst. The raging debates on the board about this segment is just played out really.

Drive them, pick which one YOU like. Nothing else matters, including our opinions, magazine opinions, or anything else. :icon_thumleft:

Exactly my point. :icon_thumleft:

Something doesn't smell right here and I am saying this in a way that I am not completely dismissing the various outcomes. I just cannot cope with what Allan is going to be like :D

Ferrari do not like people using their cars in group tests (and this has been known far longer than "that" Chris Harris article) and they especially despise any publication which source their own cars for tests so to see an Italian reg car attend this test is a bit of chin stroker especially when Ferrari's retort to Chris effectively bashed the whole of the UK motoring press.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/videos/videor...errari_458.html

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Community/Car...t--new-MP4-12C/

Would anyone be surprised if

1- iFerrari have turned up the press champ offensive.

2- UK press publications pandering to Ferrari after one of the leading UK pubications has been temp-blacklisted.

3- Point 1 + 2?

As Mako points out, the cars in this segment are very close overall yet to build on his point people are so binary and cannot find the love and aprication for all. A friend posted on a different forum

Yeah, but it's a bit like reading Brad Pitt's notes on whether Angelina Jolie or Jennifer Aniston was better in bed; I'm never likely to find out for myself and there'll be fanbois arguing one's better than the other for eternity.

I like the looks of the McLaren better. But for all intents and purposes, it comes down to personal preference. Very few people will be able to take either one and push them to the limits of what they can do on the track and show a difference between the two.

But for me, MP4/12C all the way.

i don't know. until the 458 tested is a customer car and not a factory press car, i'll find it hard to believe. i've seen it lately that ferrari results are overstated. oh well, i'd still take the MP4. it's faster and technically superior -that sums it all. as for passion, i think you need to begin to look at the older cars with a true manual tranny - i hope it can be the GT3 RS 4.0>

Says the guy who said "fcuk it, ill buy all three and make them better myself!"

I don't think that I will modify the McLaren when I get it. I think it will be good enough to remain stock.

Although, I did say that about the Ferrari when I first bought it. :eusa_think:

I don't think that I will modify the McLaren when I get it. I think it will be good enough to remain stock.

Although, I did say that about the Ferrari when I first bought it. :eusa_think:

I think the Mclaren out of all of them IS THE CAR to modify..

not very good news for the MP4... beaten ALSO by the 570 Spyder...

ciao

Car had suspension problems (as mentioned). No way in hell the 570 Spyder is faster.

yes, sure, but it was not a customer's car, it was the Mc Laren Factory car, so it's not a good thing that the factory car had suspension problems: how big customer's car suspension problems will be?

ciao

Yeah, but you can trust McLaren to figure it all out in the end. Ferraris and Lambos were catching on fire, Porsche's wheel nuts aren't secure, etc, etc. It'll all be fixed in the end

i don't know. until the 458 tested is a customer car and not a factory press car, i'll find it hard to believe. i've seen it lately that ferrari results are overstated. oh well, i'd still take the MP4. it's faster and technically superior -that sums it all. as for passion, i think you need to begin to look at the older cars with a true manual tranny - i hope it can be the GT3 RS 4.0>

:iamwithstupid:

Just look what Chris Harris (EVO) said about Ferrari's factory test cars. I think the McLaren will blow the Ferrari's doors off. Except some just prefer the PASSION of the Ferrari. :icon_mrgreen:

For me, McLaren has quite a racing pedigree - and to be behind the wheel of something they churned out would be unbelievable.

I'm a mclaren fanboy, but for a car that was supposed to blow away anything in the segment, it's coming up short so far.