F1 Down

capt_chaos

we all have car crashes, we don't know about the detail of this one,so why hate?

...I'm shure for the right price Mclaren will put the car back on the road...it's up to R.A. to decide if it's worth the price or not...

:iamwithstupid:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of us have had incidents and/or accidents with our vehicles, I'm not suggesting that makes someone a moron.

However, we're not talking about any car here, we're talking about a very rare and very valuable car, not to mention an automotive icon.

Considering that he already crashed the car once already he should probably refine his technique a bit. Also, he might want to use a bit better judgement next time. Driving a McLaren F1 in the rain? That makes him a moron in my book.

However, we're not talking about any car here, we're talking about a very rare and very valuable car, not to mention an automotive icon.

if all the mclaren F1 owners actually use their cars...there won't be many left anymore..He is one of the only few (or maybe just one) who actually drives the car quite alot compared to the rest which are mostly garage queens..you make it sound like he shouldn't be driving the car just because its a very rare car..

Driving a McLaren F1 in the rain? That makes him a moron in my book.

its a car...why can't he drive it in the rain? :eusa_think:

also, driving a mclaren f1 in the rain = moron in your book? what kinda book is that..lol

don't get me wrong..i LOVE the Mclaren F1..and i feel really sorry for him that he wrecked it so badly..im sure that car means alot to him..so he is probably feeling way worse than me now..accidents happens..its just bad luck.

i like how he kept the car for 14years and still drives it around..i just don't see why you call him a moron..he clearly doesn't look or sound like one..he seems to be a very nice guy who actually likes cars and drive them..and he isn't a bad driver either..he races and stuff..

if all the mclaren F1 owners actually use their cars...there won't be many left anymore..He is one of the only few (or maybe just one) who actually drives the car quite alot compared to the rest which are mostly garage queens..you make it sound like he shouldn't be driving the car just because its a very rare car..

its a car...why can't he drive it in the rain? :eusa_think:

also, driving a mclaren f1 in the rain = moron in your book? what kinda book is that..lol

don't get me wrong..i LOVE the Mclaren F1..and i feel really sorry for him that he wrecked it so badly..im sure that car means alot to him..so he is probably feeling way worse than me now..accidents happens..its just bad luck.

i like how he kept the car for 14years and still drives it around..i just don't see why you call him a moron..he clearly doesn't look or sound like one..he seems to be a very nice guy who actually likes cars and drive them..and he isn't a bad driver either..he races and stuff..

Wow, are you his brother or something? Why so sensitive? I only called him a moron, could be a lot worse...

Seeing that he is known for playing a moron on TV I don't think it's that much of a stretch.

But anyway, if it makes you feel better, yes, it is cool that he actually drove his F1 (except the times when he wrecked it) and I'm sure he's a really good guy.

Hmm, it's snowing outside...think I'll take the TT-G for a spin.

Come on :rolleyes: I have been out driving several times and suddenly rains appear, what do I do, call a towtruck or drive along? Get real, calling him a moron is wrong IMO, he at least drives a car many of us dream of AND crashes it twice :icon_thumleft:

Most of us have had incidents and/or accidents with our vehicles, I'm not suggesting that makes someone a moron.

Considering that he already crashed the car once already he should probably refine his technique a bit. Also, he might want to use a bit better judgement next time. Driving a McLaren F1 in the rain? That makes him a moron in my book.

You know, someone said that on here about the SV that crashed in the rain, it is August, we are getting rain here, it is the UK. If you wrap a car in cotton wool here and await for blue skies, you will be waiting a long time.

You drive a car, accidents happen no matter the calibre of car.

36k miles out of a car which does have a history of bite the owner in the backside is a great achievement, this is his second incident but McLaren know what they are doing and do give drivers driver instruction courses. People have sadly, had worse results out of crashing their F1.

He has a history of owning and driving some very fancy cars, he is not stupid. That road is tricky, I have driven it, I know people local to it, I know someone that has a lump of claret carbon fibre on their desk right now.

Sometimes (and TurboMike I am not digging at you here) but sometimes people on the internet get on a high horse and judge, juror and execute everyone without full knowledge.

Turbomike; I say this and I mean it when I say I don't want it to happen but should you crash tomorrow the internet will know about it and people will judge you for your reactions. Unless you crash in a Hyundai in which case no one will give a fcuk. Sad but true. In short people are bastards and I am glad Rowan is ok.

Also credit where credit is due, crash a car like that, it gets repaired, understand the value has gone from that car so drive it a heck of a lot more!

There was one picture where the F1 was cut in half and then another series of pictures where the F1 just lost the passenger side fender. Which is it?

The front damage picture is from the first accident in '99.

Driving a McLaren F1 in the rain? That makes him a moron in my book.

Having just visited the UK after 9 years I forgot how quickly the rain can come. It will be a perfect sunny day and in less than 5 minutes it turns into a crazy storm. The rain is truly unpredictable there and it could have just turned on him

thats not buffing out is it? :(

Yeah - probably needs more than a buffer. :(

I saw his Top Gear appearance and he definitely knows how to drive. His lap was not only the fastest lap time by a "star" it was also extremely smooth (unlike, say, Tom Cruise). If you drive fast cars fast, sometimes shit happens.

For sure. His first accident didn't leave the car looking too pretty but was caused by a moment of inattention at fairly low speed. It is the sort of thing that could happen to anyone. If the front bumper of the F1 was a little higher the damage wouldn't have been nearly as bad, but instead the nose of his car ended up underneath the rear of the Metro he hit and muched quite a bit of bodywork.

:iamwithstupid: :iamwithstupid:

anyone thinks its got a chance to be fixed?

I certainly believe it will be.

Peloton would know best but I wonder if McLaren will attempt to rebuild that car. I feel like the way they treat the F1's that they wouldnt just let one go like that. I'm guessing if rebuilding it is feasible they will. Who knows though.

McLaren patched this car back together in 2009/2010 for a US owner after a serious fire in the rear of the car without needing to build a new tub for it:

AR-906029977.jpg

Many of the same items were damaged and one could even argue that the heat of the fire caused more damage with the delaminating layers of carbon fiber than Rowan's accident would have. The rebuild of this car (#067) was reported on in a story that was published in SCM in October 2010:

A McLaren F1’s Rise from the Ashes

An interesting read. :)

>8^)

ER

Wow, are you his brother or something? Why so sensitive? I only called him a moron, could be a lot worse...

Seeing that he is known for playing a moron on TV I don't think it's that much of a stretch.

not really..just that i grew up watching his shows and i don't see why a need to call him names..he crashed as Rowan..not Mr Bean..

But anyway, if it makes you feel better, yes, it is cool that he actually drove his F1 (except the times when he wrecked it) and I'm sure he's a really good guy.

You should know better, no need for name calling!

serious%20business.jpg

:icon_mrgreen:

Thanks Peloton! I forgot about the rebuild fire car.

:iamwithstupid: that was cool to know they actually went that far to fix everything up...awesome work.

god damn....ur such a stupid fcuk for making that "MORON" comment......and no I'm not his brother either.

anyway...lets move along now...

god damn....ur such a stupid fcuk for making that "MORON" comment......and no I'm not his brother either.

anyway...lets move along now...

Chill.

The guy can drive and is an obvious enthusiast. His reputed net worth is roughly 100 to 150MM depending on source. Him having an incident in an F1 is akin to an average joe getting a flat tire on a Honda. I'm sure he's upset about the damage but it's probably not a life changing event for him and certainly he'll attempt to get it fixed.