capt_chaos

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two words..Decompression Therapy.

The DRX 9000 is the shiznit..FInd a local Chiropractor that has one and schedule an appointment, in some cases your insurance will cover the treatments.

http://www.axiomworldwide.com/drx9000-lumbar.asp

Good Luck!

J

But, remember traction has been around for decades. Some guy attached a computer to the therapy and called it decompression for marketing purposes. The DRX cost $100k more than a good decompression table because they do marketing for the doctors too. A $15k decompression table will be just fine, though the DRX people will say differently. The only real difference is one doctor will charge $20 and another will charge $200 per session.

Also, when people renamed traction to decompression, insurance had the trick of calling it experimental. They also claim that intersegmental traction and decompression have the same effect.....even though they may not cover decompression in some cases. If this is the case, the doctor can try to bill it as intersegmaental traction.

But, remember traction has been around for decades. Some guy attached a computer to the therapy and called it decompression for marketing purposes. The DRX cost $100k more than a good decompression table because they do marketing for the doctors too. A $15k decompression table will be just fine, though the DRX people will say differently. The only real difference is one doctor will charge $20 and another will charge $200 per session.

Also, when people renamed traction to decompression, insurance had the trick of calling it experimental. They also claim that intersegmental traction and decompression have the same effect.....even though they may not cover decompression in some cases. If this is the case, the doctor can try to bill it as intersegmaental traction.

I can only speak from my own experience. Traction didn't do S**T for my herniated disc, it wasn't until I began decompression therapy that I found relief.

IMO Decompression goes way beyond traditional traction. I have pre and post-MRI's that clearly show my disc retracted after 12 treatments. When you're in chronic pain $1200 is a pittance to pay to get your life back.

Thank you very much for the info boys and girls. I have even had an offer from Carol (our current resident minx) to come and give me a invigorating backrub. :D

Through stretching I have managed to make the pain bearable except yesterday when I had to walk a fair way carrying copious amounts of booze and stand around BBQing meat.

Might risk a trip to the gym tomorrow.

• 2 years later...
Thank you very much for the info boys and girls. I have even had an offer from Carol (our current resident minx) to come and give me a invigorating backrub. :D

How did I miss this post????? Cappy - obviously my services helped because you've not been in pain for the past 2.5 years ;)

I was searching for suggestions on dealing with chronic pain. Hubby has a debilitating back condition (several degenerative diseases going on at once).

How can I keep him more comfortable post surgery? He is scheduled for a 5 level fusion with extensive "scaffolding". This will be his second surgery. The first was a laminectomy and partial discectomy 3 years ago which eliminated numbness in his leg and foot. Next month they will do an extreme lateral interbody fusion L1-2-3-4-5 and posterior spinal fusion L1-2-3-4-5 with bone graft etc.

He will probably experience intense pain from the bone graft and of course this horribly invasive, extensive procedure.

He has been in chronic pain for years that gets worse with time. What prompted this surgery is a grade 1 borderline grade 2 instability at L1-L2 (which means the top vertebrae cantilevers over the next vertebrae by 25% in both forward and backward motion). His spinal cord is at risk, and this instability will only continue to get worse with deterioration which means eventually he could be paralyzed if he suffers a signifcant impact (like a car accident or a bad fall).

Post surgery the last time - he re-defined his "#10" pain level several times including passing out once from the pain which scared the sh!t out of me. Frankly the entire thing scared me because I didn't know what was considered "acceptable" pain versus whether I should be calling an ambulance. We got through it - but I know the first surgery will be a piece of cake compared to this next operation(s).

Here's what has helped:

- applying ice (mud-type freezer packs) to the lower back

- applying heat to other large muscle groups like thighs

- anti-inflammatories (been on them for 15+ years)

- narcotics (needs more and more to take effect)

Post surgery we're told no P.T. for at least 6-8 weeks and expect recovery to be 3-6 mo but he won't really be healed for at least a year. Over the past few years he tried P.T. several times. He'd start and make a bit of progress but something would happen that would cause significant pain and he'd have to stop completely. He was told to drop P.T. since it wasn't helping and seemed to hurt.

If anyone has suggestions on how to keep him more comfortable (now and post surgery) I would love to hear your suggestions.

The surgeon told us the best possible outcome is a 50% reduction of his pain. That would be huge but I don't expect the best outcome. My hope is that the surgery provides a noticeable difference, and more good hours of the day than he currently has. I also hope it slows the deterioration.

And for those who want to know how this happened - it's not a result of an injury. He was a champion athlete "back in the day" (high bar in gymnastics was his specialty although he also played football, etc) and we think it stems from the beating his body took. His weight has always been close to ideal and he looks like a very fit athlete.

Oh - and yesterday was our 30th wedding anniversary

Chronic back pain is debilitating as hell, and will prevent you from ingress/egress from your Lambo. And nobody needs that.
ain't that the TRUTH^

Cappy I hope you feel better soon!

Cake please give my best to the hubby. I hope the surgery goes well and that is improves the quality of his life. You are an excellent wife for being this thoughtful and struggling to help him with his pain. 30years! What a testament to your relationship. I hope you guys had a great anniversary.

Check your email.

Well this thread is a couple of years old, I get twinges but ironically more weight training has restrained the majority of the pain because my body can hold itself better.

However shocking development, through all my years of playing rugby I have lost over an inch in height - don't worry cake my love, I havn't lost an inch down there you saucy little temptress but all of the big impacts spanning well over a decade have impacted upon spine and thusly my height.

Yoga stretches have helped, I say helped, the woman teaching the yoga is really fit so yeah, that has helped.

That is a horrible thing to call cake. She will be mortified when she reads that

Pommel horse indeed. She looks nothing like Sarah Jessica Parker

That is a horrible thing to call cake. She will be mortified when she reads that

:lol2: :lol2: :eusa_wall:

Lower back, just to right of my spine now.

Initially it was a blanket area across the lower part preventing all movement, now I get sharp shooting precise pain when I walk but I have had a heat pad on all day.

Bastard pain, I am missing my rugby season start :(

Foam roller , massage and doctor if that doesn't work

I have this pain, my physiotherapist has given me back exercises to strengthen the muscle but Im hoping to lose weight and get rid of this beer gut to fix the problem.

I found that a heating pad felt good while it was on but didn't help at all after it was removed. For me the pain leaves when I lie on my back.

robax platinum will take the edge off the pain

Seeing as we have an old thread here, I might as well update my story as well. A had 8 sessions with a physiotherapist where they used a TENS unit on my lower back for 20 minutes each session and I 1/2 assed the exercises she gave me to do at home.

AND IT CHANGED MY DAMN LIFE!!!! HOLY SHIT

I had that pain on and off for 15 years easy. Pick up a heavy box. boom back pain, Help someone move, boom back pain, trip over a curb, boom back pain.

Its been 3 years since I did my last treatment and the pain has not happened once. Even if I do something extreme like help someone move where Im the one that has to do the heavy lifting. At the end of the day all I get is the normal sore muscles that everyone experiences after a hard day of manual labor.

Come to the US I'll get rid of your pain :lol2:

On another note I've been looking into Teeter Hangup. Any experience with them? All the reviews I've read seem to say it helps for minor pain over time. I have back pain but I know it is mostly because I sleep on my stomach.

Come to the US I'll get rid of your pain :lol2:

On another note I've been looking into Teeter Hangup. Any experience with them? All the reviews I've read seem to say it helps for minor pain over time. I have back pain but I know it is mostly because I sleep on my stomach.

Oh all I need, another woman leering over my body and objectifying me as a piece of meat.

Wow, lots of Lambopower folk suffering from back pain! Some suggestions to help avoid the problem altogether though:

1) A strong core - strong abdominals and strong lower back muscles

2) Basic fitness (don't have a gut)

3) Hang from a bar and let your body go dead weight, it will stretch out the spine

4) Proper form when lifting heavy objects - don't just bend over with a curved back and lift, make sure your back is flat and lift with your legs. Flattening the back can require sticking your butt out though, so be careful (had a guy ask me in a gym if I'd just gotten out of prison)

Seeing as we have an old thread here, I might as well update my story as well. A had 8 sessions with a physiotherapist where they used a TENS unit on my lower back for 20 minutes each session and I 1/2 assed the exercises she gave me to do at home.

AND IT CHANGED MY DAMN LIFE!!!! HOLY SHIT

Agreed. TENS units are the shit...

Cake please give my best to the hubby. I hope the surgery goes well and that is improves the quality of his life. You are an excellent wife for being this thoughtful and struggling to help him with his pain.

Check your email.

Thanks Bryan!! We appreciate it!

Well this thread is a couple of years old, I get twinges but ironically more weight training has restrained the majority of the pain because my body can hold itself better.

However shocking development, through all my years of playing rugby I have lost over an inch in height - don't worry cake my love, I havn't lost an inch down there you saucy little temptress but all of the big impacts spanning well over a decade have impacted upon spine and thusly my height.

Yoga stretches have helped, I say helped, the woman teaching the yoga is really fit so yeah, that has helped.

I'm glad you're doing better! When I married hubby he was just shy of 6' tall (standing up) Last week he was measured at 5'9" (I told him that's my minimum :lol2:) The vertebrae are resting on each other - no disc material in between most of them. Two of the vertebrae have "abraded" and are smaller than they used to be. Scoliosis has also worsened and diminished his height. Even though we all shrink as we age - I thought his loss of height was rather dramatic in that two years ago he was still 5' 10.5"

:icon_butt:

Hubby had one of these for about 5 years. He initially found it helpful. After awhile it caused pain so he stopped using it and we gave it to our landscaper. If you can - try one first before buying. My best advice is if you find it helpful - GREAT! If it causes discomfort don't use it.

Oh all I need, another woman leering over my body and objectifying me as a piece of meat.
ahhhh.... please be accurate: The FINEST cut of filet :monkeyleft:

Agreed. TENS units are the shit...
If you like the TENS unit - look into Russian STIM. Hubby found the TENS unit to be far less effective. The Russian STIM is like a TENS unit on steroids, and much closer to what the professionals use in physical therapy. MUCH more powerful (think Murci vs Prius). Our insurance covered both TENS & Russian STIM

Carol, post surgery once your husband has been released from his doctor's care make sure he gets regular therapeutic massages along with physical therapy. More often than not without massage physical therapy can make things worse. Make sure the massage therapist knows several of the deep tissue modalities (trigger point, myofascial release, active release, cranio-sacral) and not just "deep tissue". A working knowledge of anatomy on their part is also helpful. He will need to have his illiacis, psoas, obliques, quadratus lumborum, quads, glutes, and hamstrings released on a weekly basis. Anyone who has chronic back pain not due to spinal or disk degeneration should have those muscles worked on as well as strengthened.

...post surgery once your husband has been released from his doctor's care make sure he gets regular therapeutic massages along with physical therapy. More often than not without massage physical therapy can make things worse...... Anyone who has chronic back pain not due to spinal or disk degeneration should have those muscles worked on as well as strengthened.

Thanks for the very specific advice. His many previous attempts at P. T. always involved massage. I thought his PT lady was quite knowledgable in anatomy but I'll double check her credentials. Initially the massage helped but later it caused pain. He used to love getting massage (at a spa) but has avoided it for fear of injury.

His back issues ARE the result of degenerative disc disease, severe arthritis, spondylolisthesis, scoliosis.... We believe it stems from high school sports but will never know for sure.

Does this change your recommendation?

Someone stated it earlier that there maybe 1000 reasons for lower back pain. Actually I believe it close to 1 million. You really need to go in and get diagnosed. Without an MRI this is all just speculation. Having been in the orthopedic/buying business for 26 years there are so many reasons for lower back pain that have nothing to do with even your back. Many surgeons are often confused by lower back pain because it's actually the hip that is causing the problem. Many issues with your hip can be mask and are misdiagnosed as lower back pain. Understanding human anatomy that your spinal cord reaches out and feeds everything in your body, it could be a number of things that are causing this. It could be a simple muscle pull or spasm. It could be a compressing of the nerves leading from the spinal cord. It could be compression of one of your disks. It could be a rupture of one of your disks. It could be a simple decompression procedure that would solve this. It may involve straightening your spine. Go see someone and get diagnosed, then you can begin your quest to solve it.

Thanks for the very specific advice. His many previous attempts at P. T. always involved massage. I thought his PT lady was quite knowledgable in anatomy but I'll double check her credentials. Initially the massage helped but later it caused pain. He used to love getting massage (at a spa) but has avoided it for fear of injury.

His back issues ARE the result of degenerative disc disease, severe arthritis, spondylolisthesis, scoliosis.... We believe it stems from high school sports but will never know for sure.

Does this change your recommendation?

PM sent.

• 3 years later...
4) Proper form when lifting heavy objects - don't just bend over with a curved back and lift, make sure your back is flat and lift with your legs. Flattening the back can require sticking your butt out though, so be careful (had a guy ask me in a gym if I'd just gotten out of prison)

How was this not quoted ? :lol2:

Just reading through an old thread for help myself. Going to see if I can get an MRI soon for my lower back pain. Seems to be getting worse over the years.

Interesting this has come up. A little update.

I was playing a rugby match in the early part of Jan, a player came in from the side made contact with my head with his knee. The movement in the ruck meant I got moved in a difficult way.

The ref asked me to leave the pitch for a head injury assessment.

The result was concussion and a week off work.

A week later I could not understand why I had such horrific back pain.

I saw a chiropractor and had some treatment but I was not responding well.

Fast forwards a bit, I get an x ray. I have the smallest of small fractures on a disc.

More time off work and excruciating pain not just in the back but up and down the siatic nerve. Like electric shocks and hammering pain combined. It has been a proper pants year