Please bear with me

Roman

Erik, sorry to hear about the news.

Thankfully you are taking the right steps and having a good upbeat attitude about it. Best of luck and I'm sure you will be fine.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive managed to lose 16 pounds since being diagnosed two weeks ago. Ive eliminated sugar, cut the carbs as much as possible, and am walking 4-6 miles per day.... Just this alone lowered my numbers considerably.

My case is unusual because my glucose readings are highest in the morning on an empty stomach.... Then they go down during the day as I eat. This was happening BEFORE I got on any medication, and its been 100% consistent.

i know that you are an intelligent guy and you are taking this seriously.. That is a good thing. A friend of mine doesn't take his seriously and sooner or later it will bite him in the ass.

Stick with your program and do what's good for your body. Learn as much as possible, internet etc and talk to the BEST docs.

i am nervous about Diabetes and my sugar intake. I quit eating sugar about 2 months ago after our trip to Greece. Lost some weight and started a bit of weight training. Wasn't that hard.

i still yearn for some ice cream or chocolate cake (almost an addiction) but i know that sugar is basically poison.

Congrats to you on doing what you can for better health.

Sorry to hear about this RD. But as everyone has stated, it sounds like you are on the right track in taking control of it, so keep up the good work. I have many many clients with this crap and the effects on their bodies/well being is directly correlated to how seriously they maintain doing what they are supposed to do...so please keep up the good work and lick its ass! ("Kick" Hearshey, thats "Kick" his ass!)

Erik, good job to get right on with taking care of yourself. My dad is type 1 and was diagnosed around age 3065 and used to play football for Navy so it definitely can affect people in great shape.

Holy shit! Is your dad a vampire?

LOL ...

That's hilarious.. !!

But than again this is some serious food for thoughts.... proves again that a regular health check never hurts.

Especially when getting into the 40's, to get an annual checkup is not such a bad idea.

So thanks for the wake-up call ! Both diabetes and also high-blood pressure can be silent killers..

Seems you're on the right track Erik. An immediate change of lifestyle and eating habbits is indeed the only solution to try and get rid of medication.

Take care !

I think it is great you are being proactive. So many people think their is a magic pill to fix any human issue instead of doing what you are doing. I commend you for that and you will reap the rewards! Always a pleasure reading your posts! Stay positive, keep doing what you have been doing the last two weeks and it sounds like you are on the right path!

Erik, sorry to hear this man. But glad you are kicking it in the balls. Keep up the good work, you'll beat it just fine. Imagine it as an unruly board member who is just looking to get banned! :lol2:

Welcome to the club Erik! (Not really one thats good to be a part of.) I was diagnosed with Type 1 when i was 12 years old. Been on an insulin pump for the last 2 and it was the best thing I've ever done. I know the feeling with the vision issues. When I used to take shots, if my sugar spiked my visioin would actually go blurry when it was up. Since the pump I havent had any issues with that. Sounds like you are already on your way to taking control. Best of luck with everything.

Welcome to the club Erik! (Not really one thats good to be a part of.) I was diagnosed with Type 1 when i was 12 years old. Been on an insulin pump for the last 2 and it was the best thing I've ever done. I know the feeling with the vision issues. When I used to take shots, if my sugar spiked my visioin would actually go blurry when it was up. Since the pump I havent had any issues with that. Sounds like you are already on your way to taking control. Best of luck with everything.

How hi does it have to "spike" for you to get blurry? Ive had mine under 170 (and down to 106) for a few days now and Im still getting it...

How hi does it have to "spike" for you to get blurry? Ive had mine under 170 (and down to 106) for a few days now and Im still getting it...

Oh mine was hitting mid to high 300's at times. There was actually one night I ate a high carb dinner and accidentally forgot to bolus my pump. I was watching tv after and noticing myself getting tunnel vision (blurry from the outside moving inward). I quickly realized what i forgot and within about 5 minutes of taking it my vision was fine. But back when I was on shots and stuff in college not checking myself too thoroughly I would have issues seeing in class some mornings. My control is damn near perfect now with A1C's around 6 even and I havent really had any issues. 170 really isnt that high so im surprised its affecting you that much. Then again your body just might not be used to the elevated levels or something. But down around 106 it shouldnt be happening unless it was spiked for a while before you diagnoses and you damaged the capilaries in your eyes from the elevated levels. But I doubt that. Seems you caught it pretty fast and have it under control now.

Oh mine was hitting mid to high 300's at times. There was actually one night I ate a high carb dinner and accidentally forgot to bolus my pump. I was watching tv after and noticing myself getting tunnel vision (blurry from the outside moving inward). I quickly realized what i forgot and within about 5 minutes of taking it my vision was fine. But back when I was on shots and stuff in college not checking myself too thoroughly I would have issues seeing in class some mornings. My control is damn near perfect now with A1C's around 6 even and I havent really had any issues. 170 really isnt that high so im surprised its affecting you that much. Then again your body just might not be used to the elevated levels or something. But down around 106 it shouldnt be happening unless it was spiked for a while before you diagnoses and you damaged the capilaries in your eyes from the elevated levels. But I doubt that. Seems you caught it pretty fast and have it under control now.

Yeah... I didnt have this in MAY... I was at my diabetic Aunts house and used her meter for shits and giggles and got a 98. Ive always run really LOW.... 60s... 70s MAX... No "prediabetes" AT ALL... In 4 months I went from 98 to 416. I may have been there though for a month or more... My a1c was 12.

I may just need to get the swings more narrow...

Haha that's funny but I was meaning to serious. That was supposed to say 30. Stupid DROID x has been adding random words and numbers onto numbers I type.

He was actually working in the yard last month and accidentally gave himself too much insulin that night. He went downstairs after feeling that he was going low but by the time he got to the kitchen he was so low he forgot what he even came downstairs for and decided to go lay down on the couch. My mom was shortly after that woken up by their little yorkie barking and was led to my dad and she had to call the rescue squad and he had to get IVs. If it hadn't been for the dog I don't think he would have made it. Was a serious wake up call for all of us. I am a natural born worrier so I worry about that kind of stuff with my dad and sister all the time.

A good thing is to tell your wife and kids signs to look out for when you're going high or low so they can keep an eye out for you. My dad and my sister do completely different things when they have highs and lows.

Haha that's funny but I was meaning to serious. My mom was shortly after that woken up by their little yorkie barking

The yorkie pretty much saved his life. They can actually smell the when the person is hypoglycemic. You can get a Labrador specially trained to assist. They are like 5k though I think.

http://www.dogs4diabetics.com/

Yeah... I didnt have this in MAY... I was at my diabetic Aunts house and used her meter for shits and giggles and got a 98. Ive always run really LOW.... 60s... 70s MAX... No "prediabetes" AT ALL... In 4 months I went from 98 to 416. I may have been there though for a month or more... My a1c was 12.

I may just need to get the swings more narrow...

Holy fuckballls. An a1c of 12 is insanely high considering thats a test of the last 3 months. That would definitely cause the eye issues. Since I was diagnoses my highest ever was a 7.5. My mom caught mine early too since she is a nurse. But yeah, a month of being that high can cause a little bit of damage. Although Im sure your quick actions have prevented anything long term.

Haha that's funny but I was meaning to serious. That was supposed to say 30. Stupid DROID x has been adding random words and numbers onto numbers I type.

He was actually working in the yard last month and accidentally gave himself too much insulin that night. He went downstairs after feeling that he was going low but by the time he got to the kitchen he was so low he forgot what he even came downstairs for and decided to go lay down on the couch. My mom was shortly after that woken up by their little yorkie barking and was led to my dad and she had to call the rescue squad and he had to get IVs. If it hadn't been for the dog I don't think he would have made it. Was a serious wake up call for all of us. I am a natural born worrier so I worry about that kind of stuff with my dad and sister all the time.

A good thing is to tell your wife and kids signs to look out for when you're going high or low so they can keep an eye out for you. My dad and my sister do completely different things when they have highs and lows.

yeah my friends have become pretty good at spotting it on me as well. KMR has called me out about 50 times when ive gotten low bloodsugar and didnt have any true physical feelings yet. But usually I get pretty fcuking surly and confused when it drops low enough.....

Ive dropped twice. Once when i was in highschool, and one other time at said freinds house. Thank god for nurses being present in both situations!

yeah my friends have become pretty good at spotting it on me as well. KMR has called me out about 50 times when ive gotten low bloodsugar and didnt have any true physical feelings yet. But usually I get pretty fcuking surly and confused when it drops low enough.....

Ive dropped twice. Once when i was in highschool, and one other time at said freinds house. Thank god for nurses being present in both situations!

My mom is a nurse luckily and that was the first time he had ever been that low in almost 30 years. The bad thing is that the longer you're diabetic the shorter amount of time there is to realize you are low. My dad acts drunk and giggles when he is low which makes it easy to spot since he doesn't drink ever. My sister is the complete opposite and its very hard to tell when she is low.

RD, have you had your a1c checked again lately? Hopefully once that levels out that will get rid of the vision problems because your blood sugar levels don't seem high enough to be causing that. I know my sisters have been higher than yours and I haven't heard her mention that before.

Yeah, the drunk thing is usually what people compare it to. Unfortunately im a heavy drinker. But, i pretty much never get low when drinking. So its not really an issue. The confusion thing is the dead giveaway. If im low enough, i have a hard time remember close friends names or even the smallest most obvious details...

Holy fuckballls. An a1c of 12 is insanely high considering thats a test of the last 3 months. That would definitely cause the eye issues. Since I was diagnoses my highest ever was a 7.5.

Rub it in....

Crikey!

All the best with it. Tell me to butt out but may I suggest you invest in a proper cross trainer.

You will be astonished at the results in no time.

Pretty much any sports equipment by this brand is the business

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005LGBX5Y...edir_mdp_mobile

10 mins on the is probably going to be greater than 30 walking and it hardly feels like you are doing anything it us that good.

Either all the best with it.

Crikey!

All the best with it. Tell me to butt out but may I suggest you invest in a proper cross trainer.

You will be astonished at the results in no time.

Pretty much any sports equipment by this brand is the business

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005LGBX5Y...edir_mdp_mobile

10 mins on the is probably going to be greater than 30 walking and it hardly feels like you are doing anything it us that good.

Either all the best with it.

I have a pro quality stair climber (Tectrix). I do it on rainy days.... Id much rather walk for two hours than stair for 15 minutes.... I just get bored on it.

I have a pro quality stair climber (Tectrix). I do it on rainy days.... Id much rather walk for two hours than stair for 15 minutes.... I just get bored on it.

Good for you. I never got tread mills. Why the fcuk someone would want to walk in place when you can go out side is beyond me.