Lambo owners, please chime in

Kisco

I recently sold my GTR and looking to get back into an exotic. I am not looking to have a rocket ship or be the fastest around anymore. Knowing that, I've been looking at the R8 V10, 08 GSL, and 560. I Originaly had my mind set on a GSL in a 6 speed (I am not looking for an egear Lambo prior to 560, especially coming from a DCT in the GTR) but after researching 6-speed GSLs, it seems like finding them is near impossible.

For those that have driven the R8 V10, how do you like it? If you have driven/owned a Gallardo of any variant, how do you compare it to the R8? I have done some reading and research and from my understanding the R8 is the best all around exotic, better than any Gallardo as far as handling, ride, comfort, etc.

For those that have experience with the Gallardo and R8, can I get your thoughts on this? Is the R8 as good as they say?

Thanks.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I owned an R8 V8 and LP560. The R8 definitely loses in the looks department. When parked beside anything exotic it disappears.

Not a fan of the R-Tronic transmission in any R8 iteration. The 560 egear is definitely superior with little to no low speed bucking. Reverse is normal too, clutch slip is without drama.

The R8 suspension is IMO better than the 560. Firm but not punishing by any stretch.

The switch gear and head unit is all the same in both.

I've driven the R8 V10 plenty and it feels just as quick as the 560. If it were me I'd get the R8 stick or the 560 egear and not the other way around.

I owned an R8 V8 and LP560. The R8 definitely loses in the looks department. When parked beside anything exotic it disappears.

Not a fan of the R-Tronic transmission in any R8 iteration. The 560 egear is definitely superior with little to no low speed bucking. Reverse is normal too, clutch slip is without drama.

The R8 suspension is IMO better than the 560. Firm but not punishing by any stretch.

The switch gear and head unit is all the same in both.

I've driven the R8 V10 plenty and it feels just as quick as the 560. If it were me I'd get the R8 stick or the 560 egear and not the other way around.

Porter, your suggestions are right on in that if I get a 560 it would an egear, and if I get an R8 it would be a manual.

Can you expand a little on the feeling between the R8 V10 vs 560? Other than the R8 feeling as quick as the 560 (which is great to hear) is it exciting to drive? Is the manual gearbox as smooth as some say? Does it handle as well as they say? Does it sound good in person? And while you are at it, can you tell me why the sky is Blue? :icon_mrgreen:

Sorry for bombarding you with questions, I am just trying to form a dynamic picture in my head of the R8.

Thanks.

Porter, your suggestions are right on in that if I get a 560 it would an egear, and if I get an R8 it would be a manual.

Can you expand a little on the feeling between the R8 V10 vs 560? Other than the R8 feeling as quick as the 560 (which is great to hear) is it exciting to drive? Is the manual gearbox as smooth as some say? Does it handle as well as they say? Does it sound good in person? And while you are at it, can you tell me why the sky is Blue? :icon_mrgreen:

Sorry for bombarding you with questions, I am just trying to form a dynamic picture in my head of the R8.

Thanks.

I'm a closet R8 fan. The styling is a little feminine but it does everything well and a bunch of things really well.

The manual gearbox is fantastic. Coupled with heel/toe action it's a blast to rev match around town. The exhaust is like the 560 in that at low revs it's a bass growl and at WOT it's loud but it's not obnoxious or wailing. OEM never is?

Fit and finish is exceptional as Audi interiors are usually top of the class.

Handling is superb. As good as the 560 if not better. Magnetic dampers are trick and the bushing/spring rates are stiffened even further over the V8 if I recall correctly. Super easy to drive, no drama whatsoever.

Is it exciting? This part is tougher. There's definitely less of a sense of event versus an LP560, no question. It's almost too easy to drive. It's interesting because I had my R8 and Murcielago at the track on the same day and even though the Murcielago is a Rosie O'Donnell pigdog I spent the whole day fighting with it on the track instead of doing laps in the R8.

I'm a closet R8 fan. The styling is a little feminine but it does everything well and a bunch of things really well.

The manual gearbox is fantastic. Coupled with heel/toe action it's a blast to rev match around town. The exhaust is like the 560 in that at low revs it's a bass growl and at WOT it's loud but it's not obnoxious or wailing. OEM never is?

Fit and finish is exceptional as Audi interiors are usually top of the class.

Handling is superb. As good as the 560 if not better. Magnetic dampers are trick and the bushing/spring rates are stiffened even further over the V8 if I recall correctly. Super easy to drive, no drama whatsoever.

Is it exciting? This part is tougher. There's definitely less of a sense of event versus an LP560, no question. It's almost too easy to drive. It's interesting because I had my R8 and Murcielago at the track on the same day and even though the Murcielago is a Rosie O'Donnell pigdog I spent the whole day fighting with it on the track instead of doing laps in the R8.

It seems like your opinion is on par with most all critics in that the R8 is a very good car, and that scares me a bit because I am really liking what I am reading. I never really saw myself in an R8, but then again, I never saw myself in a GTR either but a test drive convinced me other wise.

Thanks Porter. I hope to see more people chiming in to see if there is a universal thought regarding this car.

Thank you to the moderator (Porter?) that moved this topic from the R8 section to here. Much appreciated.

Fadi, I've driven both the R8 V10 and V8 in 6 speeds, and the only thing I really noticed is that while the shifter is similar to the G (the knob is kind of small compared to the one in the G but not a big deal), the accelerator pedal is noticeably stiff at first and then when you push it enough to overcome the resistance it can be easy to give it a little more gas than you intended. Combined with a very low resistance clutch pedal, it took a little getting used to compared to a manual G. I got used to it, it was just. . . different. The car is super nice though--I've thought about buying one at times myself, but can't quite rationalize the lower profile looks compared to a G, and don't really need both as they would fill similar roles for me (I have a Cayman S PDK if I want to drive something sporty but not exotic, as well as various sedans and SUV's, etc.). Good luck!

Fadi, I've driven both the R8 V10 and V8 in 6 speeds, and the only thing I really noticed is that while the shifter is similar to the G (the knob is kind of small compared to the one in the G but not a big deal), the accelerator pedal is noticeably stiff at first and then when you push it enough to overcome the resistance it can be easy to give it a little more gas than you intended. Combined with a very low resistance clutch pedal, it took a little getting used to compared to a manual G. I got used to it, it was just. . . different. The car is super nice though--I've thought about buying one at times myself, but can't quite rationalize the lower profile looks compared to a G, and don't really need both as they would fill similar roles for me (I have a Cayman S PDK if I want to drive something sporty but not exotic, as well as various sedans and SUV's, etc.). Good luck!

What were your feelings about the car regarding speed, sound, handling, ride, comfort, etc? Do you also agree with Porter and the rest of the media in that it is a superb car?

I am going to look at the R8 up close and personal today to see how I feel about the way it looks and will let you know what I think.

Thanks Ronnie.

What were your feelings about the car regarding speed, sound, handling, ride, comfort, etc? Do you also agree with Porter and the rest of the media in that it is a superb car?

I am going to look at the R8 up close and personal today to see how I feel about the way it looks and will let you know what I think.

Thanks Ronnie.

As you would expect, the R8 seemed more refined and quieter (especially compared to an early G but even somewhat compared to a 560), both with respect to cabin noise and the exhaust note, etc. If you're interested in a fairly audible exhaust note you'll have to upgrade; the V10 car I drove had a Milltek exhaust, and even with it the car was way quieter than a stock 560 IMO.

The R8 also has a nicer interior IMO, which Audi has always excelled at. The ride is a little softer, handling seemed similar, and as far as speed, it was hard to tell. The V8 is obviously not as fast as a G of any vintage, but the V10 car didn't seem to "feel" as fast to me as a 560 either, but I wouldn't be surprised if it actually was very close. The sensation of speed may well be less because the car is noticeably quieter and more refined, and based on magazine testing the V10 and the 560 are pretty close. If I wanted an exotic with serious daily driver or long trip capability, or something that is exotic but that doesn't attract quite the circus that a G does, I'd definitely give the R8 a long look, as it is very impressive. Let us know how it goes.

One more thing. After riding in your GTR, I will say that the handling will not feel as good. Maybe I just need some new tires, but feeling how your car responded to steering input (even as a passenger,) made the steering on the R8 feel less responsive.

I'm not sure if I'll be back this winter, but if I am and it's dry out, you can drive mine. Of course it will feel different than the V10 since it's a TT, but under normal throttle it will feel very similar and just a bit louder.

So I saw the R8 GT today up close. It is a very nice looking car. It has very elegant presence, very pretty car. It's not a macho car or a in your face type of car, more low key and a subtle beauty. It does bother me a little that it is more on the feminine side of design, but I can get over that if the car drives as nice as some say.

I also found the interior a little plain, more so than the gallardo.

Overall it is a nice car, but I am not 100% sold. A test drive is still in demand to conclude my final thoughts.

So I saw the R8 GT today up close. It is a very nice looking car. It has very elegant presence, very pretty car. It's not a macho car or a in your face type of car, more low key and a subtle beauty. It does bother me a little that it is more on the feminine side of design, but I can get over that if the car drives as nice as some say.

I also found the interior a little plain, more so than the gallardo.

Overall it is a nice car, but I am not 100% sold. A test drive is still in demand to conclude my final thoughts.

Are you looking at a R8V10 or a R8GT?

Very different cars

Are you looking at a R8V10 or a R8GT?

Very different cars

R8 V10, but the GT gave me a very good idea of what to expect. Bascially the same design with a little more bits and pieces to the GT.

I beg to differ, on some points at least Mr. Ninja Slice ;)

I've had 3 Gallardos.. A SL, a Spyder and a manual G and the R8 is way better in every single category except looks (chicks love the R8 10x more though than a Lambos usually are more of a cockmagnet, which I know many love, like Bill for example)

The R-Tronic in a V10 is as good as the 560, 99% match, go for that box or you will regret it!

If going for a G, do a 560 or SL, regular G is outdated in every way possible..

Don't tell Transgender Eyebrows, he'll be pissed! :lol2:

I allready know it is in the works and to be honest, I am looking at a new wintercar, Audi will not fcuk me again!! :icon_mrgreen:, And to be honest, the R8 goes sideways like crazy when reaching subzero weather and we don't even have snow yet! Surem the R8 probably is capable of dealing with a nordic winter but it is to damn dangerous in doing so, at least the way I use my car/drive.. New car in the works :icon_thumleft:

I beg to differ, on some points at least Mr. Ninja Slice ;)

I've had 3 Gallardos.. A SL, a Spyder and a manual G and the R8 is way better in every single category except looks (chicks love the R8 10x more though than a Lambos usually are more of a cockmagnet, which I know many love, like Bill for example)

The R-Tronic in a V10 is as good as the 560, 99% match, go for that box or you will regret it!

If going for a G, do a 560 or SL, regular G is outdated in every way possible..

I allready know it is in the works and to be honest, I am looking at a new wintercar, Audi will not fcuk me again!! :icon_mrgreen:, And to be honest, the R8 goes sideways like crazy when reaching subzero weather and we don't even have snow yet! Surem the R8 probably is capable of dealing with a nordic winter but it is to damn dangerous in doing so, at least the way I use my car/drive.. New car in the works :icon_thumleft:

Thanks slowpoke. The consensus seems that the R8 is indeed a better car than the Gallardo overall, but the Gallardo is the more aggressive looking car.

GBGallardo and TurboGallardo, your thoughts? Thanks.

This doesn't really answer any of your questions but...

I've driven a handful of G's and was pretty cramped in all of them (I'm almost 6'3"), but the R8 had plenty of room and was extremely comfortable inside. I have always though the R8 was a really good looking car - far better in person than in pictures. I've never seen one parked next to another exotic though. Didn't get to drive an R8 yet though.

I have to agree with Transgender: Chix love the Audi WAAAAAY more.

If you want to meets girls at the gas pump go Audi. To meet guys go Lambo.

I owned a 2004 Manual G and now a 2011 Manual R8 V10.

The R8 is much smoother riding yet still has great handling. It compares with a 560 which also is better than the original series.

Manual is the way to go and nowadays it is very hard to get (and resell) a manual Gallardo.

I just posted a picture of 6 R8s at a local get together and all (except the GT) were manual trans. I've driven the R-Tronic and it doesn't thrill me.

One final thought: maybe the girls you meet with an R8 are the wrong kind. I once had a nice talk with an 80yo retired doctor who drove 911s all her career and she loved my car.

Girls who want to ride in a Gallardo may be more interesting to you. :icon_super:

If I had all the money I'd get an LP-570SL EGear and an R8 spyder manual.