Some crazy stuff about energy in this video

lambornima

Thanks RD I always look forward to your posts as they are always informative. I never really looked into it, I just fill up and try not think about the $$$ I'm paying at the pump.

Let me ask you a question, what do you think a gallon of gas is really worth?

In california were paying 40 cents per gallon in state and federal taxes.... I get it... It was supposed to be used to pay for the roads.... It isnt... It goes into the general fund and is pissed away like everything else....

Take that 40 cents off, and get the politics (including OPEC) out of it, Id guess about 2.50 per gallon or so.

We are "drilling this shit".... You cant find a home in North Dakota.... They have the lowest unemployment rate in the nation....

The media is keeping it quiet because it further illustrates how misguided this administrations policies are....

You are dead on. The general contractor I work for has been bidding projects all over North Dakota. We are usually bidding against 10-15 GCs including some of the biggest names in construction. Companies that have 10 figure annual revenues and build projects all over the world are begging to get work there. Nowhere in the US are there so many construction projects. The state is in a modern version of the California gold rush.

They can't build hotels or apartments fast enough. Temporary housing such as double wide trailers is next to impossible to get your hands on. If we bought a house up there to provide living quarters for workers, we could easily use it for a year and sell it at a profit. Of course we would have to actually find a home. I spoke to a lady that sells double wide trailers up there. She had just added 10 double wide mobile homes to her inventory, and all but 1 or 2 were purchased before she even had them in her possesion.

Actually. It is refutable.

Half the world refutes it. Much to their economic benefit.

And btw. AdjUsted for inflation, gas was 2.75 a gallon in 1976. What's that? A buck less than it is now? Where's my big fcuking deal icon? And ALL of that dollar difference is covered by TAXES and manipulation by OPEC. None of it has anything to do with SCARCITY.

So spare us your new found religious zealotry. Because that's what most of your threads amount to lately. You believe something because somebody else tells you to, but with almost NO critical thinking.

See. I'm old. Old enough to have heard these lies before. Yes. LIES. People were saying this same exact shit in the 70s. And some fools ate it up. And sunk 10s of thousands of dollars in solar. And they got hosed. But I'm sure they felt morally superior while they were getting fucked up the ass. So 40 years later solar STILL isn't viable. And we have MORE OIL reserves NOW than EVER.

But I'm supposed to believe they just got the timing wrong. They're going to be right EVENTUALLY? fcuk that.

I liked reading the article posted, it's a good find and I wished the media would have put light on it.

However that doesn't change the fact that we are talking about a finite resource and I don't see how that's been refuted (and I certainly don't know where 2000 years came from) and shown to be infinite.

I really don't understand the way many approach new ideas. It seems second nature to some when they are exposed to something new, to immediately reject it. If this was some green-peace presentation or something I would expect such a response, but the video is about new technologies that will impact the future, and in this particular case, in terms of energy. I feel that had this EXACT same presentation been given in a different context (such as consumer goods), there would be nothing but oohhs and aahhs.

To say 40 years ago we didn't have it and thus we wont have it in another 40 is the more ridiculous thing I've heard. We need only to look at how far technology has come in the last 10 or 20 years to see just how quickly and exponentially it grows. If the technologies mentioned in the video can reduce each household's energy by say 30% and cost less, then why not? Because it would make you a hippie? please!

If embracing and discussing an idea and not rejecting it outright make me a "religious zealot", then please make me the POPE! Better than being closed minded.

I liked reading the article posted, it's a good find and I wished the media would have put light on it.

However that doesn't change the fact that we are talking about a finite resource and I don't see how that's been refuted (and I certainly don't know where 2000 years came from) and shown to be infinite.

I really don't understand the way many approach new ideas. It seems second nature to some when they are exposed to something new, to immediately reject it. If this was some green-peace presentation or something I would expect such a response, but the video is about new technologies that will impact the future, and in this particular case, in terms of energy. I feel that had this EXACT same presentation been given in a different context (such as consumer goods), there would be nothing but oohhs and aahhs.

To say 40 years ago we didn't have it and thus we wont have it in another 40 is the more ridiculous thing I've heard. We need only to look at how far technology has come in the last 10 or 20 years to see just how quickly and exponentially it grows. If the technologies mentioned in the video can reduce each household's energy by say 30% and cost less, then why not? Because it would make you a hippie? please!

If embracing and discussing an idea and not rejecting it outright make me a "religious zealot", then please make me the POPE! Better than being closed minded.

Why dont you read "Black Gold Strangle Hold" and get back to me.

And in terms of Solar energy... Youre absolutely right... We have made HUGE STRIDES technologically in those 40 years.... And yet Solar still remains as crappy and unprofitable as it was then. Solar didnt keep up.... Because the science isnt there. You simply CANNOT get enough energy from solar to make it economically feasible.

And in terms of Solar energy... Youre absolutely right... We have made HUGE STRIDES technologically in those 40 years.... And yet Solar still remains as crappy and unprofitable as it was then. Solar didnt keep up.... Because the science isnt there. You simply CANNOT get enough energy from solar to make it economically feasible.

Not to mention what happens when you have a cloudy day? ;)

Why dont you read "Black Gold Strangle Hold" and get back to me.

Will do. Looked up the auther and wiki says he's a conspiracy theorist. That detracts me but ill look into it regardless.

As for solar, never says never :icon_thumleft: especially when it comes to science and technology.

Not to mention what happens when you have a cloudy day? ;)

I think you missed the part in the video where the guy speaks of a new way of storing energy other than batteries!

There are many undiscovered or undeveloped oil and natural gas opportunities in North America. They say the Barnett Shale find in my neck of the woods can supply the US with 30%-40% of what we need for at least 80 years or so.

They only found the reserves 20 years ago and started drilling about 10 years ago. Now they are doing the same in Colorado, North Dakota and all over really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnett_Shale

Just last month it was announced that they believe NORTH DAKOTA has more oil than Saudi arabia. Its in the form of tarsands, which is a little harder to produce, but what do you think happens when that comes online???

Personally working on that now. And sooner then you think.

Utah has more oil then Saudi Arabia and surrounding oil producing countries combined.

Colorado,Idaho..some Midwestern states like you mentioned as well.

As soon as this hippy mindset of were running out of oil and the technology continues to progress people will be very surprised.

My children's children will still be mining this shit before they even have to move on to another location.

I think you missed the part in the video where the guy speaks of a new way of storing energy other than batteries!

Heres the deal Nima....

If he had a "New way of storing energy" that was anything more than SCIENCE FICTION, he would patent it, and sell it, and we would find out about it when it hit the shelves. Thats how new inventions work...

When the Lithium battery was invented, nobody had a SPEECH telling us how COOL it would be when we could buy them. One day, they just started showing up in shit we bought.... They worked BETTER in some applications than the old alkaline battery, and so people used it.

DONT TELL US, how cool the product is.... JUST SELL THE fcuking THING.

Unless you CANT.... because its in GENE RODDENBURYVILLE...

Youll notice, the folks in North Dakota arent holding speeches where they lecture people on how much oil there is.... Theyre busy DRILLING THE SHIT.

Will do. Looked up the auther and wiki says he's a conspiracy theorist. That detracts me but ill look into it regardless.

As for solar, never says never :icon_thumleft: especially when it comes to science and technology.

Jerome Corsey is an absolute fcuking lune.... That doesnt change the fact that the Abiotic Theory of oil is widely accepted in some parts of the world, and has resulted in finds of oil in places it SHOULDNT BE, under the biotic theory.... Again... You said that it is irrefutable that it is a finite substance.... And like most proclamations of definitive fact on the left, the debate is not as cut and dry as you would like it to be.

Does anyone know at what median oil prices it is profitable to extract oil from tar sands? I understand the process is very complex and it costs 4-5 times as much as conventional oil extraction. Is this true?

When oil becomes too expensive to extract and when the production process of solar panels becomes cheaper (along with materials) and as solar becomes more efficient.

This is a logic loop failure.

Please try again.

A friend of mine owns OSEC which is one of the US's largest oil shale companies (OSEC - Oil Shale Exploration Comp) and I have helped him numerous times throughout the year. Oil shale is a viable option now and will be because at just $55/bbl it is lucrative for them. Also, I was told that he landed the US's largest land lease in history (i think in Utah) which has an unbelievable amount of shale deposits. He said we have enough shale to go blow for blow with the Saudi reserves and most likely outlast them if we kept the resources and did not try to export.

If you all have any questions about shale or specific numbers let me know, I will shoot them to him and get an insiders thoughts and opinions.

Best

Other very large international companies joined with him to go full steam a few years ago. South Americas Petrobras, and Japanese investment company Mitsui.

Good thread. The one thing that is "irrefutable" IMO is that modern environmentalists aren't trying to just protect the environment, they're anti-energy, and in many cases anti-capitalist. As sure as day follows night they will oppose whatever new sources of energy are proposed, including wind and solar. Wind farms kill birds, solar installations involve destruction of native habitat and large ones use too much water for cooling, etc. Oh and don't even think about fracking as it contaminates the water supply and causes earthquakes. What a luxury it is to live in a place and time where the energy that provides light and heat and power for all manner of modern conveniences is taken for granted, and some people have the luxury to contemplate how "wrong" we are to change Mother Earth in any way. I'm confident that this thought process was unknown during the many millenia in which humans depended only on warmth from the sun, or later, fire for all their energy needs, and spent most of their waking hours trying to find food.

As for the OP, I'd be interested to know how "the climate is changing in ways it hasn't before," and what datasets you're using to compare recent climate events with those which occurred over the last 4 1/2 billion years.

And as for "closed minded," that is the very definition of the modern environmental movement. No method for producing energy is truly "safe," and the "science" of global warming is settled. Hint: science is never "settled." Even Einstein's general theory of relativity, which has drawn some attention lately due to some little neutrinos racing around a little faster than they were supposed to. Once something becomes settled, it ceases to be science.

Heres the deal Nima....

If he had a "New way of storing energy" that was anything more than SCIENCE FICTION, he would patent it, and sell it, and we would find out about it when it hit the shelves. Thats how new inventions work...

When the Lithium battery was invented, nobody had a SPEECH telling us how COOL it would be when we could buy them. One day, they just started showing up in shit we bought.... They worked BETTER in some applications than the old alkaline battery, and so people used it.

DONT TELL US, how cool the product is.... JUST SELL THE fcuking THING.

Unless you CANT.... because its in GENE RODDENBURYVILLE...

Youll notice, the folks in North Dakota arent holding speeches where they lecture people on how much oil there is.... Theyre busy DRILLING THE SHIT.

I agree! But that doesn't mean they aren't on the way to said patents and products with the technologies his company has founded. That's the point of the presentation, to say "this is what we're working on, our goal is this, and we have invested and done research and here are the steps we've taken".

If this was an environmentalist presentation saying how we are all hurting the planet and the generic line that "we need to do something about it" then it would get the same slap in the face from me that many are giving it.

A friend of mine owns OSEC which is one of the US's largest oil shale companies (OSEC - Oil Shale Exploration Comp) and I have helped him numerous times throughout the year. Oil shale is a viable option now and will be because at just $55/bbl it is lucrative for them. Also, I was told that he landed the US's largest land lease in history (i think in Utah) which has an unbelievable amount of shale deposits. He said we have enough shale to go blow for blow with the Saudi reserves and most likely outlast them if we kept the resources and did not try to export.

If you all have any questions about shale or specific numbers let me know, I will shoot them to him and get an insiders thoughts and opinions.

Best

Other very large international companies joined with him to go full steam a few years ago. South Americas Petrobras, and Japanese investment company Mitsui.

If there are any other major breakthroughs, let us know for sure! Seems the media is ignoring it anyway.

We dont have a shortage of energy generation in this country, we have a shortage of distribution, and until more transmission lines are built (and the environmentalists have fought these) our utility rates will continue to increase as congestion/mitigation costs increase. The media and gov like to spin all this so called "green energy' into something its not. That being said, my net metered solar system is paying for itself nicely.

I feel like I need to say this before Nima says something about it...

fcuk wind-farms!

Have to back you up. I actually think wind farms could be extremely detrimental to our climate/environment.

North Dakota is huge, bigger still is canada's oil sands, and the fcuking biggest joke that they canceled the pipeline. Right now they think they can extract a saudi arabia amount of oil from it, more importantly since we're talking about as technology get there. They estimate the total oil there is at least more then 8x the size of saudi arabia reserves, but most likely a lot more then that. Oil running out is a huge lie based on a human lifespan timeframe, we just keep finding more of it.

Now that doesnt mean i dont think we should diversify, just like what has previously been said let the world figure out something better, in fact we have better sources which or either still be explored as a real alternative but still to new to be cheaply and widely used (hydrogen in cars for example) and the ones governments and professional protesters hinder (nuclear).

RD is going H.A.M. on this thread. I think I found my new idol :icon_super: LOL

EDIT: oops - had page loaded from when thread was on page 2....now my post is out of place.

Still true, nonetheless