Gallardo burns up at Portland auto show

EpDarks

Wait until you read how it happened... :eusa_wall:

Exclusive: Lamborghini Gallardo Catches Fire At Portland Auto Show

By Nelson Ireson, MotorAuthority.com

The Portland International Auto Show isn't exactly known as a hotbed of industry activity or product reveals. Nonetheless, there is often some attractive hardware on display, including, this year, at least one privately-owned Lamborghini Gallardo. Unfortunately, that Gallardo won't be making the show. It caught fire.

Why, you ask? How? The answer is surprisingly stupid.

Fire marshals at the show, quite reasonably, won't let any car enter the building with more than a quarter-tank of fuel. The Gallardo attempted to enter with an undisclosed greater amount, however, and was refused. Makes good sense so far.

That's when the story gets stupid. Instead of figuring a way to extract the fuel from the tank, taking it for a quick 50-mile spin, or just swapping it for another Gallardo, the display staff decided it'd be a good idea to just sit in the car and rev it to redline in neutral. Not so good for the car, but, in a pinch, excusable--perhaps.

The person behind the wheel soon grew tired of the limiter-popping, however, and decided to automate the process with a piece of wood lodged between the seat and the gas pedal.

Yes, a piece of wood. After sitting idle at full song for several minutes, the completely predictable, inevitable, and foreseeable occurred: it overheated and caught fire. It was immediately loaded on a truck and removed from the scene.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1072166...tland-auto-show

How could you do that to a car? It's not in the same ball game, league or same sport as animal cruelty but it still makes me feel the same way. Its stupid and uncaring

How could you do that to a car? It's not in the same ball game, league or same sport as animal cruelty but it still makes me feel the same way. Its stupid and uncaring

I am willing to bet it was some union worker from the convention center. I used to do 5 trade shows a year and i've seen those union shit-stains break every law of common sense.

Beat me to this post, was laughing at the ingenious "block of wood" technique they used to hold the car at redline. :icon_thumleft:

bd04b509141e4459c3696177e0d0ed6e.jpg

LAMBOLP400S's quote from the zonda thread actually seems to have a more fitting place on this thread... and i think we DO have enough of a story here... :icon_mrgreen:

"Why do stupid talentless people get rich and buy these cars they shouldnt be allowed in to?"

At least the guy can say,"Hey, at least I didn't crash a 570 million dollar cruise ship like that other Italian guy."

bertstare.jpg

Hahahahahaha. Words can not describe how Awesome this picture is. Even the Katt Williams one beneath it is hilarious.

Why in Gods name, would you have somebody who is so obscenely unfamiliar with cars, be operating something that costs 3 times their bloated union salary? The stupidity of people amazes me. You'd think the logical idiot move would be to go run it through its paces on a brutal joy ride. But no, this guy goes beyond stupid and wedges a stick on the throttle....