INCREDIBLE-AT DUI Checkpoint-Vegas

pockmark

You can take a lot of cabs for the cost of one DUI...

The average first time DUI is going to cost you about 10-20 grand. Between the fines (2-3K), "alternative transportation costs" while you are without a DL (LOTS of cab rides), lost work, and higher insurance premiums (Easily 5K spread over the next 10 years or so). If you get a lawyer to fight it (which you SHOULD), youre even more in the hole (5-10K).

How much is a cab ride? 50 bucks?

Thats 400 cab rides by my math. Charlie Sheen doesnt party that much.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The average first time DUI is going to cost you about 10-20 grand. Between the fines (2-3K), "alternative transportation costs" while you are without a DL (LOTS of cab rides), lost work, and higher insurance premiums (Easily 5K spread over the next 10 years or so). If you get a lawyer to fight it (which you SHOULD), youre even more in the hole (5-10K).

How much is a cab ride? 50 bucks?

Thats 400 cab rides by my math. Charlie Sheen doesnt party that much.

Over a 10yr span thats less than once a week.

Another thing to remember, these days something like a DUI can even make it difficult to get into college and especially law school. Many schools are doing pretty indepth background checks now.

Over a 10yr span thats less than once a week.

Another thing to remember, these days something like a DUI can even make it difficult to get into college and especially law school. Many schools are doing pretty indepth background checks now.

There's also risk to getting a professional license suspended/revoked, or if applying to get a license in a new state they ask if you've ever been convicted of a felony (DWI, etc.).

I think a new perspective on this whole thing is to spend the extra money it costs to live in or very close to the "scene". And it's not just DUI avoidance, but also the hassle and expense of parking a car, and making it easier to take a girl home. :icon_thumleft: :icon_mrgreen:

In NM, refusal to submit to a breath test or blood test gets you an automatic 1 year suspension of your license and an automatic upgrade in your charge to aggravated (by refusing, you are almost guaranteeing the that you will be charged with a DUI). The "legal limit" at least in NM is really just a notion that at that level or above, it is"implied" or "presumed" that you are too impaired to operate a vehicle safely. Anything a .04 up to a .08 there is no presumption, and anything below a .04 it is presumed that you are not impaired. Some can argue that the BAC number is voodoo because people can be impaired at vastly different levels...i.e. a hardcore alcoholic may not be able to function at all unless he has some alcohol in his system, and a "virgin" tinker can be impaired up the wazoo at a .05. In any event, by having ANY alcohol in your system, if you get in an accident and harm someone, you are fucked, even if you claim you were not impaired and even if you are below the "legal limit."

Now checkpoints are a tool used by Law Enforcement, but IMHO they are an illegal tool, even with the guidelines they try to use to make them more palatable. I think that only Michigan has outlawed them as a matter of course.

One thing regarding the "Don't talk to the police" that people should also know is that depending on the state, you may be required to at least give them your name to identify yourself if they ask. Also, if you are arrested and put in the interrogation room, the Supreme Court has ruled (in 2010) that you have to specifically tell the police that you are exercising your right to remain silent. You can't just remain silent and assume they know you're taking the 5th, you have to specifically say it. You also have to specifically say you want a lawyer. And despite what they say, if they put you into the interrogation room, they think you did it.

Anything you say can be used against you. Anything you don't say cannot be used against you. The police don't decide if you're guilty or innocent, the court will do that, or whether to convict you, a prosecutor does that, and part of the evidence they use is the statements you give to the police. The police also do not have to read you your rights when they arrest you, they don't have to read them at all if they arrest you unless they're going to interrogate you, in which case they only have to read them to you before they ask you questions.

Also I believe that if you make a phone call from the police station or jail, they can record what you say over the phone (the only exception being if you are talking with your lawyer I think), so be careful there.

Talking to the cops is what got the Duke lacrosse rape case boys into a lot more hot water than they would've been in. They didn't know any better and talked to the police. The parents thought the university should not have let the police talk to them or informed them of their rights, but they didn't. Any parents of college age kids in here who don't know this should IMO inform your kids about their rights (especially if you have sons). If they're at some college party and a rape occurs, or some girl claims she was raped, and the cops go around asking different guys "Were you at the party?" or "Where were you the night of..." you are not required to answer any questions! At most, tell the police officer you will not answer any questions without an attorney.

I just read Skokos's story, Skokos I am assuming you were not arrested, so they didn't have to read you Miranda before questioning you...? If they literally asked you to sit in the interrogation room, you probably could have just refused (the police won't ask you to do anything if they don't have to, at least from what I understand). I'm not sure on that one though. I think you would ask them are you being detained or are you free to go? If they ask you to come down to the station to answer some questions, that means you can say no. If they ask to search your home or vehicle, you can refuse.

To avoid the hassle i decided very young that if i was driving i wasn't drinking. but thats a sacrifice some aren't willing to make...i definitely cramps my style sometimes. i didn't do it because i can't handle a couple drinks...i literally just didn't want to have to deal with worrying about check stops and any of the guessing that comes along with them (had i eaten first?, how many drinks?, what was i drinking?, how long ago?, whats my breath like?, yada yada).

Its kind of scary...it seems like police can just write you up for whatever they want. and the obvious answer is that you can fight it in court. well of course you can...but at the cost of $$$$, time and the stress of having it hang over your life for 6-24 months!

(I literally feel like a cop could pull me over in the viper while being totally within the law...say they "received a call that i was driving recklessly"...and give me a ticket for reckless, impound my car and suspend my license (with no proof at all)...and my only recourse is to "fight it in court"...$5000-10,000 later and months of not being able to drive the charges would probably be dropped without even a apology or compensation...they will then make you pay to get your license reinstated and the incident report that you got pulled over for "driving recklessly" will sit in the police notes for years, making any other random pull over in the future a pleasure.) Ask me how i know this lol.

I bet if it became mandatory for the loosing side to pay the winning sides legal bills (police included) courts would go from backed up to empty.

Also keep in mind you can get a DUI even the next day. I got stopped at a DUI checkpoint in Spain. A friend had come into town the day before and we went out to bars and nightclubs from around 10pm till 6am. We then got up around 2-3pm and went to the beach. I had someone else drive because I still felt like I had alcohol in my system. We left the beach at 6pm and I felt fine to drive so I drove, and of course I drive right into a DUI checkpoint. Not sure how the Spanish system converts to the US but I blew a 0.18mg/l and the legal limit is 0.25mg/l BRaC and this was 12 hours after we stopped drinking.

(I literally feel like a cop could pull me over in the viper while being totally within the law...say they "received a call that i was driving recklessly"...and give me a ticket for reckless, impound my car and suspend my license (with no proof at all)...and my only recourse is to "fight it in court"...$5000-10,000 later and months of not being able to drive the charges would probably be dropped without even a apology or compensation...they will then make you pay to get your license reinstated and the incident report that you got pulled over for "driving recklessly" will sit in the police notes for years, making any other random pull over in the future a pleasure.) Ask me how i know this lol.

A police officer can not make an arrest for a misdemeanor (reckless driving and DUI without injury are BOTH misdemeanors) UNLESS the offence is committed in his presence. An anonymous tip is insufficient for any of the above penalties. You would have a case for false arrest, and could sue to get your expenses back.

A police officer can not make an arrest for a misdemeanor (reckless driving and DUI without injury are BOTH misdemeanors) UNLESS the offence is committed in his presence. An anonymous tip is insufficient for any of the above penalties. You would have a case for false arrest, and could sue to get your expenses back.

Is that in Canada too RD? Falken is up there (the guy you quoted), but not sure if there laws are different. Canadian laws tend to be more lax in many regards from what I have seen.

Also is a DUI a misdemeanor in all states if without injury?

Is that in Canada too RD? Falken is up there (the guy you quoted), but not sure if there laws are different. Canadian laws tend to be more lax in many regards from what I have seen.

Oh, yeah... Canadian laws are completely fucked up.... They have almost NONE of the legal protections Americans enjoy, and even the ones they do have have HUGE loopholes you can drive a surveillance van through.

Oh, yeah... Canadian laws are completely fucked up.... They have almost NONE of the legal protections Americans enjoy.

:iamwithstupid:

I have some friends in the Muskoka (sp?) area of Canada that used to throw their empty Pabst cans at cop cars as they drove by.

They were also as high as giraffe pu$$y most of the time too on that Canadian Mary Jane (this was when they were in HS by the way).

Now they own a startup restaurant franchise with 4 locations, don't drink, and don't smoke-since everyone now thinks I hang out with derelicts.

They even go to church on Sunday (at least once a month), comb their hair, and tuck in their shirts now :lol2:

Now they own a startup restaurant franchise with 4 locations,

Hey, I'm in the Muskoka's often. Let me know where they are and perhaps I can hang out with them and drop by the restaurants....

They even go to church on Sunday (at least once a month), comb their hair, and tuck in their shirts now :lol2:

Never mind, disregard my above statement.

Never mind, disregard my above statement.

What do you have against guys that tuck their shirts in?

What do you have against guys that tuck their shirts in?

Nothing but I am banned from all churches and I shave my head, so these church going hair combers would probably treat me like an outcast.

Nothing but I am banned from all churches and I shave my head, so these church going hair combers would probably treat me like an outcast.

:icon_thumleft:

Hey, I'm in the Muskoka's often. Let me know where they are and perhaps I can hang out with them and drop by the restaurants....

They live on the West Coast of FL now. Not sure where the restaurant chains are.

lol, never heard that before....going to add it to the vocabulary.

:icon_mrgreen:

Stole it from Joe Rogan (not sure if he says it here or not):

I just read Skokos's story, Skokos I am assuming you were not arrested, so they didn't have to read you Miranda before questioning you...? If they literally asked you to sit in the interrogation room, you probably could have just refused (the police won't ask you to do anything if they don't have to, at least from what I understand). I'm not sure on that one though. I think you would ask them are you being detained or are you free to go? If they ask you to come down to the station to answer some questions, that means you can say no. If they ask to search your home or vehicle, you can refuse.

Correct. I wasn't arrested and wasn't read rights...I sat down and spoke under by my own choice based on my thought that "They just want to know what happened,I didn't do anything wrong..I have nothing to hide so they will understand and I'll be in and out really quick". I didn't know about any of my rights and what I should do in a situation like that. I do now :)

Correct. I wasn't arrested and wasn't read rights...I sat down and spoke under by my own choice based on my thought that "They just want to know what happened,I didn't do anything wrong..I have nothing to hide so they will understand and I'll be in and out really quick". I didn't know about any of my rights and what I should do in a situation like that. I do now :)

Rob, the "hindsight is 20/20" cliche couldn't be any more true when it comes to knowing and using your 5th amendment rights, especially if it's your first time in a situation.

Cops can be pretty intimidating, and most law abiding citizens who get caught up in innocent situations or DUIs aren't going to be experienced/confident enough to know this. Ironically, hardened criminals are all too good with this sorta thing.

You can watch that video a few times and still talk.

The police don't fcuk around with driving offences up here in Canada...

Years ago I was charged with street racing even though the cop didn't witness anything; he pulled myself and another vehicle over because he heard tires squealling a minute earlier. His exact words were: "I didn't see you racing but I heard tires squealling and I have two young guys with fast cars pulled over in the area so I'm putting two and two together." Of course he changed his story when I took it to court :rolleyes:

And here (in Ontario) we have what's called "warn range suspensions" which means if you blow between 0.05-0.07 BAC the police WILL automatically suspend your license and impound the car you were driving for the term of your suspension (regardless of if the car is yours or not). You cannot fight the charge in court, you cannot request a second breathalyser and you are on the hook for all fines, towing charges and impound fees. First offence is a 3 day suspension, 2nd is 7 days, and 3rd is 30 days with the condition that you must install an ignition interlock in your car, at your cost, for 6 months after your license is reinstated. I've blown a warn twice (second time was after drinking 4 beers over the course of 4 hours) and now I won't get behind the wheel of a car if I've had any more than a sip of alcohol.

The police don't fcuk around with driving offences up here in Canada...

Years ago I was charged with street racing even though the cop didn't witness anything; he pulled myself and another vehicle over because he heard tires squealling a minute earlier. His exact words were: "I didn't see you racing but I heard tires squealling and I have two young guys with fast cars pulled over in the area so I'm putting two and two together." Of course he changed his story when I took it to court :rolleyes:

And here (in Ontario) we have what's called "warn range suspensions" which means if you blow between 0.05-0.07 BAC the police WILL automatically suspend your license and impound the car you were driving for the term of your suspension (regardless of if the car is yours or not). You cannot fight the charge in court, you cannot request a second breathalyser and you are on the hook for all fines, towing charges and impound fees. First offence is a 3 day suspension, 2nd is 7 days, and 3rd is 30 days with the condition that you must install an ignition interlock in your car, at your cost, for 6 months after your license is reinstated. I've blown a warn twice (second time was after drinking 4 beers over the course of 4 hours) and now I won't get behind the wheel of a car if I've had any more than a sip of alcohol.

No $hit.

Maybe they have gotten more strict on that since my friend left Muskoka

No $hit.

Maybe they have gotten more strict on that since my friend left Muskoka

Big time. When I was a teenager I used to drive through Muskoka/Haliburton with a beer in my cupholder on my way to friends cottages and I was never concerned with getting charged. It's in the last couple of years that Ontario's really cracked down on drinking and driving.