Young 600+ pound guy asks for help

Gilligan740

It's a downward spiral though, not everyone is strong enough to come out of it alone...if they were a fat child growing up, it's probably the reason...no one wants to be around you because you're fat, so you end up becoming depressed and upset, in which, you end up eating more and the cycle keeps going...it's not until later that a child, who would eventually become a teen and an adult realize what the hell happened and wonder how they got there.

Yes there are people there who are looking for sympathy instead of help, or want it free because they're in bad condition, but that doesn't mean there aren't people who aren't trying to fight it and are failing. You may believe the above paragraph is crap, but the truth is, that is exactly what happened to me and why I got so big (i blame myself, not them), now I'm fighting it and although I logically know how I got to that point, coming back from it is not easy regardless of how different I look and will look. Without the proper motivator for you, you're going to fail.

My dad was able to stop cold turkey after 40+ years of smoking, and even outlived my mother in the process, but I guarantee that if I didn't watch him in the beginning, disallow smoking in the house or cars and even didn't refuse to buy him cigarettes, he would probably have slipped up easier. It's the same scenario with weight loss, very few are able to do anything 100% alone. Everyone needs a push and some support to get the ball rolling.

I agree, if they're looking for sympathy, I don't really have any opinion on it, but if they're actually seeking help and need the motivation, I get it completely.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I'll bite, does this guy not have any family? Where is he living? How is he getting money to eat, live, have a home and a computer to post things on? I am curious. If I were to reach out to my community it would be from under a bridge with my kids under a tarp and my whole family wiped out. Maybe that is just me, but I wouldn't be putting my problems on YouTube looking for others to solve them. I am not trying to be harsh but I think that this generation needs a heavy hand or they will never climb out of the situation that they are thrusting their future into.

My father in law was just shy of morbidly obese. He got type 2 diabetes. He loves to eat more than anyone I know, period. He kicked it and lost 100 pounds and looks great. His brother on the other hand is knocking on 500 pounds door right now. He has been cajoled by his whole family to try and quit. He is going to die. He thinks that he is fine and doesn't need to change a thing.

You gain 5 or 10lbs it's because pizza is tasty. You gain enough weight to sink a battleship it's because you have serious mental and physical problems. This young man is SICK both mentally and physically. He is reaching out for help.

I could write a tome on this subject but it's not worth it because he's going to die soon anyway. One of the worst things to see however is a human crying out for help and someone slamming the door on their face. Pray to god you are never in a situation where you need a caregiver with empathy.

This just couldn't be said any better. Most of these people need counseling to help them to understand their life is worth living and they have a bright future ahead of them. If they feel that way, I am confident weight can be lost. I don't believe it has anything to do with the American way of life.

Although, I do feel that there are many commenting who haven't seen how debilitating a mental illness can be. It much worse than a physical injury. Depression is worse than being dead. All the people in rehab and suffering from terminal illness in hospitals are fighting for the lives, and depressed people have a life that they just don't want to live. I have heard it from someone who was morbidly obese being described as "a slow passive suicide, where I don't have to consciously make the decision of actually putting the barrel in my mouth."

I hope all of us and our loved ones are saved from it.

I personally believe that calling this, among other things, a "disease" is nothing but a lack of someone taking responsibility for their own problems.

I personally believe that calling this, among other things, a "disease" is nothing but a lack of someone taking responsibility for their own problems.

:iamwithstupid:

The trouble is that many people with an addiction problem really don't want help. They are looking for sympathy and enablers. As said by others there are several things an addict can do with minimal effort to begin attacking their problem.

:iamwithstupid: Stop eating you big fat stupid f-ck..no sympathy here..you made your bed, now sleep in it. We all have choices to make in life...you made yours...you want others to pay for your bad decisions....NOT!How about stop eating, and being a F-ckin lazy food eati'n non work'in f-ck, loose weight & get a job . :crybaby2:

My only sympathy is for the EMTs or Fire personel that have to lift your stupid 600 lb ass out of the the house when you drop dead from being stupid!

While I agree this is generally an american problem, I don't think it has to do with food directly. This (at least for someone that young) is just another leg of the no losers, participation trophy, coddling feel good bullshit that is plaguing society of late. I blame the parents 110%! Someone has been feeding this issue for a long time and its a form of abuse as much as anything else.

The guy needs help now, but what he really needed was a kick in the ass 10 years ago.

A common belief.

However, you are a likely a healthy strong individual, both physically & mentally, & may not be able to completely understand why people don't just "snap themselves out" of a situation. This is perfectly understandable because it's almost impossible for anyone of us to imagine being that person, without referencing ourselves at the same time. This is no criticsm of you; it is just the way of things, (& I am aware that I may sound patronising, but I have no other way of articulating my point).

There are those that are not as fortunate as the rest of us; they are ill, mental, physically or both. God forbid anyone here ever becomes that ill. I have spent time with alcoholics; every one of them wanted to quit & get back to reality, but couldn't without help.

This chap's "disease" is no more different than that of a drug addict, gamber, or alcoholic. He got to a point whereby his "disease" has caused him to be unable to do anything about it. If it were as simple as just not eating, he would have taken that course of action, if of sound mind.

I do, however think that the term "disease" is inaccurate; it intimates, to me, that it is something that can be caught or contracted. Perhaps a better term would be "condition"?

Its a psychological thing for sure. And not only does he not have anyone willing to help him, those around him are likely enabling him. People are likely giving him the food he's eating.

I eat way too much...

But I know how much I eat (A lot). And I know WHAT I eat (I eat a lot of shit thats bad for me) And I know how much I exercise (not enough). And I know how much I weigh (like 350+ pounds LESS than this kid?)

There is no way this kid eats THAT MUCH MORE than me. I couldnt weigh 600 pounds if I wanted to.... MY STOMACH WOULD EXPLODE from eating the amount of food I would have to eat in one meal, (repeated ALL fcuking DAY LONG) just to weigh 2/3rds that much. Christ, he couldnt AFFORD to eat enough food to make him get to 600 pounds.

And of course, I know people who share the SAME life style I do, and the SAME eating habits, some of whom weigh much more than me, and some of whom who weigh MUCH less.

So there has to be something else going on with these people. Something biological. Something hormonal. Something we dont understand. It CANT just be diet and lack of exercise. Sure... That can get you to 100 pounds overweight.... But at 600 pounds, something else is going on. Normal people cant weigh that much on their own.

The show I saw on the world's fattest guy, it was literally one of those scenes like you see from a movie with endless plates of food on a table. I think they calculated that he was eating somewhere in the neighborhood of 25000 calories a day. Another reason I watch those shows, is that afterward it makes me want to eat VERY healthy.

When I was at school many years ago a friend of mine was "the fat kid" he had fat parents and when asked about it he would say the family had a genetic problem.

Years later I was visiting my home town a person I did not recognise started calling my name, turned out it was my "fat friend" who was no longer fat.

During the ensuing conversation I asked what had happend.

He told me when he left his parents home to live on his own he was on a pretty tight budget so could not afford to eat all the vast amounts of crap food his mother was feeding him and he started to loose weight, he said he did nothing special, just a normal life and normal food and he was down to, not thin but also not fat.

I am sure his mother loved him and his father, I knew her and she was a nice lady but she was slowly killing the family with food.

It's all about willpower. There are people who smoke for 20 years and stop cold turkey, the ones who cant just dont have the willpower. I feel the same way about weight. The only medical excuse I find valid for weight probelms is a glandular issue.

Exactly.

The problems is people today are more willing to take easy paths in life. This man has known he was overweight for years, and he kept on eating; he consciously chose to keep eating, and keep gaining weight, he is has no willpower . If you want something enough, you're going to do what it takes to get it instead of telling yourself the whole time "I've tried EVERYTHING", and using that as an excuse to not change your methods and try again.

It bugs me when people say "I've tried EVERYTHING", losing weight is plain and simple...diet and exercise; cut this fancy 'North Beach Diet' shit, its not that hard to figure out what is good for you to eat when you have the internet at your fingertips.

I had a patient a couple weeks ago who complained of knee, hip, and back pain. He may have been pushing 400 pounds. So, I asked him if he thought about loosing weight. They say a pound of weight is 4 pounds on the knees. He claimed that he "just cant". When people say this, I wonder "what would happen if you were stranded on an island?". He also had one leg amputated below the knee because of diabetes.

Keep in mind, this was TOTALLY preventable in his case. But, he would rather have food than 2 legs. Most people have to decide if they want to look good or eat more. But, when the stakes are higher, they still want to eat.

I like to compare things to the wild. My horses/cattle are 1500 pounds. If they get more that 2 scoops of WHOLE GRAIN a day, they will die! Why? They get acidosis or become lame. Now, look at the 200 pound person who eats REFINED foods.

As far as the guy that eats 25,000 calories per day....If the average person needed 2000 calories per day, he is eating what 10 PEOPLE need AND he is LAZY. It surprises me that he doesnt weigh more. Truth is, he probably doesnt because most of these people are dead and he is a lucky exception.

I think hospital beds have a max weight of 800 pounds. Even if they could find a bed for some of these people, they are too high risk to work on. I heard a figure once, for every pound you are, your heart has to pump the linear distance of a mile (because how capillary beds). A heavy person has to pump a LOT farther.

Im sorry but I think thats crap. There are plenty of Americans in awesome shape so the food and other stuff generalized to America doesnt work. It's all about willpower. There are people who smoke for 20 years and stop cold turkey, the ones who cant just dont have the willpower. I feel the same way about weight. The only medical excuse I find valid for weight probelms is a glandular issue.

I agree with you 100%. I am 6' 175lbs at 12% body fat. I work my ass of at the gym 5 days a week because I have the willpower to control what I eat and exercise. There are days I don't want to go to the gym and eat an entire pizza but I have enough self control to push myself... I have to work hard to earn the way my body looks, just as hard as I worked to earn the money to buy my Gallardo. No one gave me any handouts. I beleive if someone wants something bad engough then they can work hard to earn it.

When I was at school many years ago a friend of mine was "the fat kid" he had fat parents and when asked about it he would say the family had a genetic problem.

yeah :D

why-are-you-fat-genetics-icecream.jpg

Im sorry but I think thats crap. There are plenty of Americans in awesome shape so the food and other stuff generalized to America doesnt work. It's all about willpower. There are people who smoke for 20 years and stop cold turkey, the ones who cant just dont have the willpower. I feel the same way about weight. The only medical excuse I find valid for weight probelms is a glandular issue.

Quitting smoking is a lousy comparison. You can’t just stop eating food.

You quit smoking, you never touch tobacco again. You quit eating… except you need to eat 3 times a day to live

Prader-Willi syndrome is one of many medically valid reasons for obesity.

It's a disease. Physical and mental. But mostly mental. A lot just has to do with behavioral habits. I went to Europe for six weeks last summer. Walked my ass off, ate whatever/whenever I wanted, drank REAL beer, ate ice cream (Germans love it), and I just SHED weight. Come back to the States, and eventually put it all back on and more.

American food? Shit

American transportation? Shit. (Everyone drives everywhere. Drive to gym, park close to buildings).

American eating habits? Shit. (Always in a hurry - I hear this from every immigrant, they all convert to the "American" way of doing things: HURRY HURRY HURRY).

It takes serious conscious decision making to eat right and keep healthy in certain parts of this country, especially the Midwest. Sure, no one is holding a gun to your head, but your environment DOES affect your situation.

I agree with you 100%. I spend a lot of time in Europe and I'm always surprised how slim and trim everyone is, considering their food has so much fat. For example, French people eat food drenched in butter, they love their fatty beef and duck, they have so much cheese and dessert and chocolate, but have you ever seen a fat Parisian? The reason is three-fold in my opinion:

1) They walk EVERYWHERE. You're either walking or riding a bike. People hardly use cars there.

2) The portions are smaller. Whenever I go to the States (I live in Canada), I can hardly believe the gargantuan portions they serve in American restaurants.

3) They eat more natural food and they take longer to eat so they don't rely on fast food (junk). They don't eat a lot of high-fructose corn syrup, GM food, etc..., and their lunch hours are not 10 minutes of eating on their desk. Have you ever sat in the Louvre gardens around lunchtime on a weekday? It's full of office workers eating leisurely.

I disagree with the whole disease stuff. This guy probably ( and I could be way off since I have no idea who he is ) probably just didnt give a fukc about his body when he was in high school, and got to a point where he just didnt care. If he didnt care when he hit 300lbs he wouldnt care after. Its a matter of just taking control of your life and just saying thats it. Yes he is huge now. He can slow down his eating and at least do arm lifts or something EXTREMELY basic to slowly slim down. Hell if he just cut his food down in half he would probably drop like 200lbs. Im not one to lecture as im not in the greatest shape of my life and i am guilty of being a lazy ass sometimes, but when I was 18 I weight 275lbs. When I weighted myself I was disgusted with myself and said thats it. So I work my ass off, and watched everything I ate. I went from 275 and I was about 172lbs a year and a half ago. I gained some back because I started partyin and drinkin a bit and just got lazy. I was not 600lbs but it can be done. I have never bought the I have a disease. If this guy wants to drop weight bad enough and actually gives a shit about his life he can do it.

Quitting smoking is a lousy comparison. You can’t just stop eating food.

You quit smoking, you never touch tobacco again. You quit eating… except you need to eat 3 times a day to live

Prader-Willi syndrome is one of many medically valid reasons for obesity.

Haha, well you are...WRONG. You're not taking that in the right context. I didn't say they had to quit eating. Plenty of people quit smoking by gradually leveling down how much they smoke, so if you want to be perfectly literal, then that is a fair example. The point is that that guy has got to be eating numerous times the recommended level of caloric intake per day to be getting to that point....for YEARS. You make it sound like he is just getting what he needs to survive. I have no idea what that syndrome is and i'm not even going to look it up, if there isn't a physical issue that slows him down (i.e. some thyroid issue that zaps his metabolism) then there isn't any excuse for him to not lose weight. To put this in perspective, it would be like a smoker saying they need 20 packs of cigarettes a day. Well more than any hardcore smoker would do. It's excess plain and simple.

I would bet a lot of money if you tracked his caloric consumption for one week, it would be nauseating. This boils down to simple math when you look at it. Calories consumed vs. Calories burned. If you have an excess in the consumption you accumulate fat. He very well may have a mental state that makes him think he is always hungry, but that doesn't excuse eclipsing the 350lb mark, let alone 600.

This is an enabled addiction that needs to be treated as such. If you only fed this guy 500 cal a day, he would start to lose weight in multiple pounds a week without any additional physical work. Get him down to 400 and make him walk a mile on a treadmill before any meal.

He's 23 fcuking years old, should be in the prime of his life. Enabling this is abuse and downright torture.

Some of you people are just downright callous!

This guy is asking for help to get him out of a situation he now realizes is very bad. It doesn't matter how he got to this point, whether you believe he has a disease, mental illness, his family situation or he did this to himself. He is looking for help, from anyone willing, to fix a problem that he doesn't know how to solve. Saying you have no sympathy doesn't help in any way.

Many of you have critisized and claimed that if he just did this, or just did that, everything would be ok. That may be true, but it really doesn't help this man if no one is willing to help him.

Maybe he's never been taught how to prepare a proper meal. Perhaps his parents don't know and that's where it began?

He could be suffering from some sort of mental anguish and eating is a coping mechanism. If so he'll need therapy for that.

Maybe he does have a food addiction. many people have addictive personalities and get caught up in behaviors that they don't even realize. I myself have an addictive personality and suffer from more than one compulsion that could be considered self destructive. It's not fun being in those shoes. I'm not a compulsive eater, but I have my demons.

It's hard to come to terms with the idea that you have been hurting yourself by servicing an addiction. This guy has, I hope he gets the help he needs.

Mice dont naturally get fat.

However, we can MAKE mice fat in a laboratory. Some of that can be achieved by feeding them a high fat diet, but even that will only go so far... Because mice stop eating when theyre full, and they naturally like to run like hell all day long. No... To really fcuk up a mouse, you have to start tinkering with its endocrine system. And when scientists want to experiment on fat mice, guess what they get? Baby mice who had fat parents.

There are chemicals, that we know can increase the metabolism. And there are chemicals that can slow it down. There are chemicals and conditions that can decrease appetite, and there are some that can make it so you NEVER GET FULL. There are chemicals that can cause muscles to increase in size, and a lack of them will cause muscle to waste away.

One of the most commonly prescribed hormones- cortisone- can cause not only SEVERE, UNCONTROLLABLE weight gain, but it causes that weight gain in the face and on the BACK OF THE fcuking NECK AND SHOULDERS, making you look like a goddamned BUFFALO. (I challenge ANY OF YOU, to gain weight on the BACK OF YOUR fcuking NECKS naturally. You wont, because your body chemistry is normal.... But fcuk with the pituitary, or increase the cortisol levels in the body, and you will look like a goddamned cartoon character, whether you eat a single extra calorie or not).

One of the signs of diabetes is you start to LOSE WEIGHT, WITHOUT TRYING. Why? Because you arent eating enough? NOPE. Because youre exercising more? NOPE. because the food you eat is getting turned into sugar (just like its supposed to), but that sugar CANT GET INTO THE CELLS WITHOUT INSULIN. You piss it out. Sounds fabulous right? Wrong- Because your HEART and other organs are literally STARVING TO DEATH. One of the side effects of diabetes medicine is FURTHER Weight loss.... because getting the blood sugar LOWER, causes you to lose weight.

At 600 POUNDS, there is a SHIT LOT MORE going on than just eating too much.

Sure. If we locked him in a room, and fed him only 100 calories a day, he'd lose weight. HOW MUCH WEIGHT he would lose before his fcuking heart stopped, is unknown, but my guess is, he would NEVER get under an obese weight, no matter HOW SEVERLY his calories were restricted.