Maybach buyers to get $100,000 spiff

EpDarks

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/18/biggest...-100-000-spiff/

Our sister site, AOL Autos, just dug up one of the largest rebates we've ever seen on a new car. If, for some reason, you must have a Maybach before the brand ceases production altogether, you may in line to snag a tidy $100,000 rebate. Daimler previously let slip that the company will kill the ultra-luxury brand in 2013 and replace it with a new high-end Mercedes-Benz S600 Pullman. Given that Maybach models never exactly jumped off of the showroom floor, we're guessing the German automaker needs all the help it can get moving the Type 57 and Type 62.

Even with $100,000 off the sticker price, you'll still need a suitcase full of C notes to take one of these machines home. The entry-level Type 57 commands a $376,300 MSRP while the Type 62 starts at $427,700. Even at those prices, reports suggest the the company lost a staggering $500,000 on each and every model it sold. It's a wonder the marque stayed around as long as it did.

News Source: AOL Autos

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/18/biggest...-100-000-spiff/

Even with $100,000 off the sticker price, you'll still need a suitcase full of C notes to take one of these machines home. The entry-level Type 57 commands a $376,300 MSRP while the Type 62 starts at $427,700. Even at those prices, reports suggest the the company lost a staggering $500,000 on each and every model it sold. It's a wonder the marque stayed around as long as it did.

News Source: AOL Autos

How the fcuk do you lose money when selling a modified S-Class for an exorbitant amount of $?

How the fcuk do you lose money when selling a modified S-Class for an exorbitant amount of $?

lol no kidding. The manufacturer loses half a million on each sold, then the buyer loses another 300 grand. Sounds like a great car to me!

lol no kidding. The manufacturer loses half a million on each sold, then the buyer loses another 300 grand. Sounds like a great car to me!

Who the fcuk did they hire to run the company.

Hey Helmut, I have an idea?

What is it Engelmar?

Let's buy zee Chrysler and revive Maybach. Then we'll take over zee world!

I like the Maybach. But I don't know how they lost so much money on them. It's not THAT different from an S-Class. Unless they just burned through huge amounts on brick and mortar buildings, management, design teams, etc.

They don't actually lose $500K on each one. Just like Bugatti supposedly loses on each one, it's probably with respect to total operational costs for the brand, not the manufacturing of the car itself. They probably make an insane profit on the car itself.

• 1 month later...

My six years of Maybach ownership was exceptional, one of the best cars I ever owned. I miss my 57s even though the Ghost is a good handling and fast car. It just does not have the interior luxury of the Maybach. I would have stuck with the Maybach if they were not discontinuing the line.

aehaas

My six years of Maybach ownership was exceptional, one of the best cars I ever owned. I miss my 57s even though the Ghost is a good handling and fast car. It just does not have the interior luxury of the Maybach. I would have stuck with the Maybach if they were not discontinuing the line.

aehaas

I haven't heard that from anyone before, but very few people on the forums own them I guess.

Just out of curiosity, what did the 57 have that is lacking in the Ghost? I've seen them and never really thought much of them. I could see some appeal of the 62 because it was more of a limo with unique amenities, but the 57 always just struck me as an S-class. They looked pretty identical inside when they first came out.

http://www.roadfly.com/new-cars/wp-content...-s-interior.jpg

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/vehicl...1990001-480.jpg

I disagree. The Maybach looks nothing like the S-Class Mercedes. It is also much longer, taller and wider. The seats are bigger, softer and plush. Everything is leather and wood of my choosing. One may want to take a closer look, side by side.

aehaas

12.jpg

12__1_.jpg

12__2_.jpg

Sometimes my wife and I carpool to and from the office. When she drove, I sat in the back.

aehaas

Sometimes my wife and I carpool to and from the office. When she drove, I sat in the back.

aehaas

Any pictures of the car you replaced it with?

Here is our Ghost:

12.jpg

Maybach is a lot nicer and much different than an S class. That being said, for the money, I would rather just have an S65 than a Maybach, and would rather have a ghost than either one.

I looked at the S65. It is just too small a car to be the traveling, family, going out to dinner with the Jones' type of car. I actually think the size is just right of this Ghost and it is a lot easier to park than my old 57s. That said I could also live with the 6-7 inch longer LWB Ghost. I am just not willing to lose the different in trade in now.

aehaas

• 1 month later...
I looked at the S65. It is just too small a car to be the traveling, family, going out to dinner with the Jones' type of car. I actually think the size is just right of this Ghost and it is a lot easier to park than my old 57s. That said I could also live with the 6-7 inch longer LWB Ghost. I am just not willing to lose the different in trade in now.

aehaas

Hi aehaas, you seem to be very knowledgeable when it comes to high end luxury cars. I wanted to ask what are you opinions on the Rolls Royce Phantom, seeing as you own a Ghost and previously owned a Maybach, I am sure you must have driven the Phantom. Oh and what are your opinions on the Bentley Flying Spur?

Thanks

aehaas

Reminds me of Allan and Deuce having the wife drive them around. I love it!

Here is our Ghost:

This might be the funniest post on here. How did this escape everyone's radar?

I have never had the privilege of riding around in the back of a Maybach but if what you say is true it must be amazing. I was driven around in an S65 AMG and thought it was very comfortable and roomy. To hear that the Maybach is that much better is impressive to say the least.

Hi aehaas, you seem to be very knowledgeable when it comes to high end luxury cars. I wanted to ask what are you opinions on the Rolls Royce Phantom, seeing as you own a Ghost and previously owned a Maybach, I am sure you must have driven the Phantom. Oh and what are your opinions on the Bentley Flying Spur?

Thanks

I do not like the Phantom at all. I do not like the appearance. It is too slow for us and drives like a boat on water.

My wife has a Flying Spur Speed right now. She likes it the best of all the cars she has ever owned. If you have not tried one of these you must do so ASAP.

aehaas

I do not like the Phantom at all. I do not like the appearance. It is too slow for us and drives like a boat on water.

My wife has a Flying Spur Speed right now. She likes it the best of all the cars she has ever owned. If you have not tried one of these you must do so ASAP.

aehaas

I agree, the Phantom is terrible compared to the Ghost if you are actually going to be driving the car.

I have been driving a Bentley Mulsanne around for the past few days. Nice car, but besides having a great looking exterior, everything else about the car just pales in comparison to the Ghost. It's slower, doesn't ride or handle as good, transmission isnt as smooth, interior quality isnt as good, and it's missing a ton of tech options (and real options) that the Ghost has. It gets more attention than the Ghost because it does look really good, but for what I use the Ghost for, that is actually a negative.

I believe the main reason Maybach failed is the styling too derivative of an S class. As others have stated, I think in the marketplace there is a perception that the Maybach is a modded S class. People spending $300k plus on a sedan want something unique, otherwise they would driving a 7 series or an S Class. Everything I've heard is that the Maybach is a far better car than the Phantom yet RR dominates the class in sales. They just introduced a series 2, the changes look minimal.

I agree, the Phantom is terrible compared to the Ghost if you are actually going to be driving the car.

I have been driving a Bentley Mulsanne around for the past few days. Nice car, but besides having a great looking exterior, everything else about the car just pales in comparison to the Ghost. It's slower, doesn't ride or handle as good, transmission isnt as smooth, interior quality isnt as good, and it's missing a ton of tech options (and real options) that the Ghost has. It gets more attention than the Ghost because it does look really good, but for what I use the Ghost for, that is actually a negative.

fill me in on why the interior quality isnt as good. i noticed on the ghost the leather on the doors look like they came from a ford F150 nothing like the leather in the mulsanne and still my biggest beef is the plastic door handles. its the first thing you touch and its cheap. what are the tech and real options its missing? please dont take this as negative comments i am trying to decide between the ghost and the mulsanne for myself. just to ask did you drive the extended wheelbase ghost any thoughts. thanks again