Charter Jet cost

Roman

It's really the time saved when flying private. Some people simply can't afford to take a 32 hour round trip when it can be done in 16 hours.

I understand why some individuals bemoan CEO's when they take private jets for short trips, but on the other hand, time is money. And when you can pop into DC from Detroit in 3 hours instead of 6, that just can't be beat.

Time is valuable, so when you need to be back in the office, the greater cost for a private flight just doesn't figure into the trip. Most private fliers have high-stress jobs and being alone on a plane and having the ability to make the trip shorter and be back sooner to ones family or office is more than worth the money.

If time isn't an issue however, I'd always fly first-class instead of coach. I've never flown business class though, gotta try that this year.

Completely agree. If you are making 8 to 9 figures a year, then the time saved using private is actually more valuable than the extra cost of flying private. $10MM/year assumes $5000/hr so you're basically breaking even. And if someone values their time more than the cost of the jet, that's what they should do because you can't buy time.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's really the time saved when flying private. Some people simply can't afford to take a 32 hour round trip when it can be done in 16 hours.

I understand why some individuals bemoan CEO's when they take private jets for short trips, but on the other hand, time is money. And when you can pop into DC from Detroit in 3 hours instead of 6, that just can't be beat.

Time is valuable, so when you need to be back in the office, the greater cost for a private flight just doesn't figure into the trip. Most private fliers have high-stress jobs and being alone on a plane and having the ability to make the trip shorter and be back sooner to ones family or office is more than worth the money.

If time isn't an issue however, I'd always fly first-class instead of coach. I've never flown business class though, gotta try that this year.

And the privacy factor. You want some knob in first class looking over your shoulder as you look at your laptop, papers or try to have a private conversation about business

You have to be pretty small physically to think there isn't an ENORMOUS difference between coach and first class on any 'full size' plane. Granted I always get free First Class, but I'd still pay for it if I didn't.

And Private definitely has it's place if you can afford it.

This. I'm 6'-3" 235, I don't fit well in coach, nor do I like crying babies disturbing me for the entire flight.

I'll pay thank you.

This. I'm 6'-3" 235, I don't fit well in coach, nor do I like crying babies disturbing me for the entire flight.

I'll pay thank you.

Exactly...sucks when people bring their kids or babies into first class too.

Completely agree. If you are making 8 to 9 figures a year, then the time saved using private is actually more valuable than the extra cost of flying private. $10MM/year assumes $5000/hr so you're basically breaking even. And if someone values their time more than the cost of the jet, that's what they should do because you can't buy time.

:iamwithstupid:

Time=Money

Every time I fly coach, I always vow never to do it again. It ALWAYS sucks. And I almost always say to myself, "I would pay any amount to not be seated next to this screaming child." OR flying through with layovers...

I'd prefer to fly myself, but for business - I completely get it. Especially if you want to kick back and relax, chartering or owning your own jet makes sense (if you have the means). No more TSA bullshit, showing up to the airport three hours early, no coughing/sneezing inside the cabin...

Hey- How much does it cost to charter a jet cross country- Ballpark? Say Orange county to Louisville?

About $25k or $30k in a Lear 35A. Cheaper if you get a jet card. Jet suite has a $40k card and sentient has a $90k card that offered decent terms last time I shopped them.

I was getting good quotes from jet suite for one-off charters Houston to Florida and Houston to New York earlier in the year fwiw.

I'll pay thank you.

Amen to that. I'm 6'4 255.

IMO, provided I could comfortably afford it, I would fly private, as I hate dealing with the general public. Even if the time saved flying private is not more valuable than the extra cost of flying private, I'd still prefer to fly private just for the enjoyment. It's like driving a Mercedes-Benz S-class when you could be driving a little four-cylinder Toyota. Yes, the Toyota is much better on fuel and costs only a fraction as much, but the enjoyment you get from driving the Mercedes makes up for the extra cost of the car and extra fuel costs (so long as you can afford it easily).

I can't imagine why anyone would charter a plane for anything other than an emergency or being insanely wealthy (though why wouldn't you just own your own plane?) You save some time, but unless you shell out huge amounts of money, you're paying out the ass for only a few hours of a cushy seat. Watch a movie, have a conversation with your friend and you're pretty much across the country and ready to land.

Some people find owning a plane or yacht to be an extra hassle, and just prefer to charter them.

You have to be pretty small physically to think there isn't an ENORMOUS difference between coach and first class on any 'full size' plane. Granted I always get free First Class, but I'd still pay for it if I didn't.

And Private definitely has it's place if you can afford it.

Just curious, but how do you get free First Class?

I'm intrigued, care to explain Wheels?

It means exactly as it sounds, I don't like dealing with the general public. Not meaning it any elitist fashion, I just don't like dealing with the general populace is all if I don't have to.

Just curious, but how do you get free First Class?

Centurion Card FTW! :icon_thumleft: Buy coach, get free first class.

Saved me about $35,000 this year alone so far.

What about a dog?

This is really the issue. I need to be able to haul some large cargo fast and easy.

This is really the issue. I need to be able to haul some large cargo fast and easy.

Then private is worth every penny.

International First Class > Small Private Jet > Domestic First Class

Big Private Jet > Any First Class

honestly, i think the main reason why people fly private (as mentioned) is because of:

time (literally cuts your time in half or even by 3/4)

you have the money (because you fcking can and why not)

i fly private a lot with my dad for his work and also because one of my closest friends' dad is a forbes billionaire and they have their own private jet - sh*t is amazing.

International First Class > Small Private Jet > Domestic First Class

Big Private Jet > Any First Class

Ya, if you're rocking a Boeing Business jet or bigger there is no reason to go any other way!

I don't really buy that argument because they are usually paid in salary and stock, and a few more hours in the airport isn't really losing anyone money. In 2012 it's simply not true, especially for huge multi-nationals. There are people in place everywhere to do everything and can be contacted at anytime from any place in the world via Internet or phone. Outside of a court case, you could accomplish everything in the world from behind a desk if you actually believe in the 'time is money' thing.

Other than personally trading stock/bonds, I can't think of a single situation where money is lost during those few hours in an airport. It's not like no one is working while you are in the airport. If you are going to negotiate a deal, the people at the company are still and have long since been preparing for the outcome. What decision can't someone like Larry Page make over the phone or email that would impact bottom line? If people were in fact so concerned with 'my time is so valuable,' they would just work more.

My friend's brother works for a large global bank and was recently meeting with the CFO, CEO etc of a large company to talk about the details of a 9 figure loan. Him and two other guys flew in... and they got taken to a baseball game first.

Flying private is a perk of the wealthy. It's rarely necessary or value oriented. They do it because they can, imo. Hell, if their time is worth $10K/hour, why don't they buy fighter jets and shave even more time? LOL. Fighter jet >>>>>>> any plane.

You can't just do overnight commercial shipping two days in advance and have it waiting there for you?

You still haven't told us your reasoning. Moving many kilos of 'stuff,' RD? ;)

Centurion Card FTW! :icon_thumleft: Buy coach, get free first class.

Saved me about $35,000 this year alone so far.

Correction: Buy full fare coach, get first class, and that is only on continental domestic flights which again brings up the issue of domestic first class being insignificant when you're flying only a few hours. The other option include using a limited number of upgrade vouchers and or lots of miles for international.

The saving aren't that significant when you consider the cost of full fare economy tickets. DTW -> ASS was $2700 + lots of miles vs $3100. DTW -> NYC was $1000 vs $1500 and you only get the upgrade if it's available. You don't get the upgrade if it actually sells out. Only with very long haul flights (12-16 hours,) do you see significant savings doing this. I think I 'save' $4-5K/flight from DTW/ATL -> Shanghai/Australia/Chile.

The best way to fly domestically, imo, is exit row economy. Hell, exit row economy international is nearly as good except for the recline factor. If you can sit at a desk for a few hours, then it shouldn't be any less comfortable in exit economy unless your ass is HUGE!

I might be a bit biased in terms of flight length though since I'm so used to flying. If you take ten 15 hours flights per year, the 1-8 hour flights go by in an instant.

You can't just do overnight commercial shipping two days in advance and have it waiting there for you?

You still haven't told us your reasoning. Moving many kilos of 'stuff,' RD? ;)

Ive got to move the dead hooker you left under your bed....

I know it is always a topic of heavy debate in many circles whether or not private flight is justifiable or not... and it is an argument no side will ever win.

The truth is on paper you can never "justify" private jet ownership and it is up to the individual situation. I have had guys fly in to view a presentation I am putting on, or to look at some equipment, and each person in the meeting came in their own plane. One guy in his G5, another in his Lear 60 and the third in his Citation II... now each guy got there, albeit the guy in the citation has an operating cost of under 2K per hour, and the G5 owner is closer to 5K per hour... obviously the G5 owner is sporting a G5 because he wants to, and he can.

As far as cost, i have never been able to bring myself to justify the "time" cards. They always end up around the 4K per hour total cost when considering all the fees and start up. Year 2 is usually a little lower but still averages over 3K for any of the planes I have looked at or considered.

Now the main benefit here is the ease of entry into jet travel. You don't have to buy or finance a plane, you don't have to have a flight crew, hanger, worry about fuel or engine programs or insurance... if you don't want the headaches, or don't want to spend the money on a plane then this is a cheaper way to get into jet travel albeit at a much higher cost per hour.

You can buy a very nice Lear 35 right now for under $750,000. In fact a good friend just bought a perfect lear 35 which had full inspections and a brand new paint and interior for 510K. Now this is a 7-8 passenger small jet which is fast, cruises up to 51,000ft and from where I live in Texas, can non-stop anywhere in the USA and most of Canada. It is a small jet with a smaller tube but quiet, fast, comfortable, good on fuel and cheap. This plane requires two pilots but overall operating expense is about $2250 per hour all in. Much cheaper than a flight card by the hour and you own the airplane.

charter is more expensive because they are paying for their airplane and trying to make a profit. All in costs when making a weekend trip have to be considered as well as their pilots will have hotels and expenses. I flew from Texas to New York last minute to meet a group from Saudi last minute and had to charter a plane. Cost last minute was about 27K for the two days and 6 hours of flight time. With some notice and planning I have usually been able to get bids for about 3200-4000 per hour average cost.

hope that helps.

Correction: Buy full fare coach, get first class, and that is only on continental domestic flights which again brings up the issue of domestic first class being insignificant when you're flying only a few hours. The other option include using a limited number of upgrade vouchers and or lots of miles for international.

The saving aren't that significant when you consider the cost of full fare economy tickets. DTW -> ASS was $2700 + lots of miles vs $3100. DTW -> NYC was $1000 vs $1500 and you only get the upgrade if it's available. You don't get the upgrade if it actually sells out. Only with very long haul flights (12-16 hours,) do you see significant savings doing this. I think I 'save' $4-5K/flight from DTW/ATL -> Shanghai/Australia/Chile.

No. M and I have flown to NYC 4 times in the past 5 months and EACH time we saved $1500 PER flight ($12,000) in total because I paid $220/each leg instead of $1570.

I get a similar upgrade on Virgin when I fly to London. Buy one Upper class ticket at a ridiculously low fare ($2400 last time) and I get the second one free.

Furthermore, I get to upgrade at the time of booking. I don't have to be at the counter or hope the flight isn't full. I'm booked in First Class as if I paid full fare from the beginning.

And with all the perks of Virgin's Upper Class, I would never go any other way.