Curiosity lands TONIGHT

Kerplop

From what I could tell it looked like it went off with out a hitch!

Great work by NASA and impressive as hell!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Atmosphere, super-sonic chute, retro-rockets.

The sky-crane thing working properly is mind-blowing, the guy who first thought up that insane solution can finally breathe again, lol.

My buddy at work and I just turned to each other and at the exact same time said "Some Nerds are getting laid tonight!"

All the nerds at the Jet Propulsion office there sure were uncomfortable with their hugs and celebrating and body contact.

ROFL. I loled when 2 guys awkwardly went in for a hi-five and were off-sync, so hugged instead..wish I could make a gif of that.

Pretty damn amazing, everything worked as they predicted.

Very impressive. :icon_super: :icon_super: :icon_super:

What most impressing is that the whole system was never tested as a whole, only parts of it here and there. Doing the entire thing on earth is useless because of the different atmosphere and gravity, so it was only done in simulations.

Nerdgasms all over the place!

What most impressing is that the whole system was never tested as a whole, only parts of it here and there. Doing the entire thing on earth is useless because of the different atmosphere and gravity, so it was only done in simulations.

x2! I am still in awe of this working. The sheer precision required for everything to work was amazing. Humans FTW!

be sure to check out nasa.gov for pictures!

:iamwithstupid:

I cant even get my dishwasher to work properly on the first try

ROFL. I loled when 2 guys awkwardly went in for a hi-five and were off-sync, so hugged instead..wish I could make a gif of that.

:lol2:

Yeah, clearly most of them were not very accustomed to human to human contact.

one hell of a feat of engineering!

watching the landing in front of my computer, over wifi, on DSL, connected to another computer in NASA, who is talking with a rover on another planet. Fuckin' science

Mind-Blown.jpg

watching the landing in front of my computer, over wifi, on DSL, connected to another computer in NASA, who is talking with a rover on another planet. Fuckin' science

I'll do you 1 better....

Watching the NASA computer connected to the rover vehicle on another planet while buying some limited edition IPA beer on ebay on another window and watching some LA Guns and Faster Pussycat videos on youtube on another window.

How did my parents even survive? :read:

If you want to get really technical.... you were watching the landing on your computer, connected to wifi, connected to your isp, which was connecting through another carrier, likely backboned to another carrier, going to another connection somewhere else, going through a very intricate network connected to a computer at nasa feeding a link to another site, streaming it to another server in real time that received your request, made a connection to you and kept a live stream (delayed of course) sending to your computer..... the images of mars being sent from a rover millions of miles away, sent electronically, being received via wireless medium through space which finally made their way to that stream so that you could see them. (which by the way due to the speed of light, light from the sun is delayed 8 minutes from when it makes it to the sun to your eye, so you do the math on the delay from mars)

To think that only less than 10 years ago when I was in high school, I thought dial up 56k was still fast and that my 233mhz (mmx of course) processor was fast. Never could I have fathomed the technology we have today. If someone told me in almost 10 years that we'd drop a rover the size of a small car on another planet, namely mars and that we would also see private companies dock with the international space station ALL within the same timespan, I would have said you were full of shit.

And here we are.

I'll do you 1 better....

Watching the NASA computer connected to the rover vehicle on another planet while buying some limited edition IPA beer on ebay on another window and watching some LA Guns and Faster Pussycat videos on youtube on another window.

How did my parents even survive? :read:

If you want to get really technical.... you were watching the landing on your computer, connected to wifi, connected to your isp, which was connecting through another carrier, likely backboned to another carrier, going to another connection somewhere else, going through a very intricate network connected to a computer at nasa feeding a link to another site, streaming it to another server in real time that received your request, made a connection to you and kept a live stream (delayed of course) sending to your computer..... the images of mars being sent from a rover millions of miles away, sent electronically, being received via wireless medium through space which finally made their way to that stream so that you could see them. (which by the way due to the speed of light, light from the sun is delayed 8 minutes from when it makes it to the sun to your eye, so you do the math on the delay from mars)

To think that only less than 10 years ago when I was in high school, I thought dial up 56k was still fast and that my 233mhz (mmx of course) processor was fast. Never could I have fathomed the technology we have today. If someone told me in almost 10 years that we'd drop a rover the size of a small car on another planet, namely mars and that we would also see private companies dock with the international space station ALL within the same timespan, I would have said you were full of shit.

And here we are.

And while fapping. :eek3dance:

:lol2: all while fapping.

Ok time for an excuse to drink some scotch.

News conference is going on live now

:lol2: all while fapping.

Ok time for an excuse to drink some scotch.

I was just going to crash but if you are having a scotch I'll crack another beer. Don't want to be that asshole that goes to bed and leaves a guy up drinking by himself.

I was drinking JW Black while the landing took place. You fuckers are late!

I've been drinking since around 5pm when I started dinner.

It's now 2:30am here. I think I'm right on pace.