Curiosity lands TONIGHT

Kerplop

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies, sir! :icon_thumleft:

No problem Stig....kerplop and Robster seem to be the killjoys for this post Moon landing geekfest.

Where did they go?

F-them. I'm going to grab another beer and do one of those "Chimay52 will have no access to phone or email and will be returning on Tuesday, August 7th" automated message deals for my email.

No problem Stig....kerplop and Robster seem to be the killjoys for this post Moon landing geekfest.

Where did they go?

F-them. I'm going to grab another beer and do one of those "Chimay52 will have no access to phone or email and will be returning on Tuesday, August 7th" automated message deals for my email.

I hear ya. There needs to be a button you press that sets an automatic voicemail, email response, and text response - and place it in a prominent location.

A normal car battery can deliver 100W for about 3 days. The battery on Curiosity, while only about twice as heavy as a car battery, can deliver 100-125W for at least 14 YEARS :shock:

But then again, it's basically a nuclear battery...

673560main_msl5_full.jpg

This is one of the first images taken by NASA's Curiosity rover, which landed on Mars the evening of Aug. 5 PDT (morning of Aug. 6 EDT). It was taken through a "fisheye" wide-angle lens on the left "eye" of a stereo pair of Hazard-Avoidance cameras on the left-rear side of the rover. The image is one-half of full resolution. The clear dust cover that protected the camera during landing has been sprung open. Part of the spring that released the dust cover can be seen at the bottom right, near the rover's wheel.

On the top left, part of the rover's power supply is visible.

Some dust appears on the lens even with the dust cover off.

The cameras are looking directly into the sun, so the top of the image is saturated. Looking straight into the sun does not harm the cameras. The lines across the top are an artifact called "blooming" that occurs in the camera's detector because of the saturation.

As planned, the rover's early engineering images are lower resolution. Larger color images from other cameras are expected later in the week when the rover's mast, carrying high-resolution cameras, is deployed.

It's amazing to me that Mount Sharp, in the picture above, is over 3 miles high. Yet with nothing to reference against it in the photo it looks like a small hill.

It's all a big hoax. It was filmed at Area 52 in Nevada. :icon_mrgreen:

that would be funny as hell if they turn that rover camera around and all you see is some dude cracking one out to a nuts mag

It is unreal and cool as hell to be seeing Mars. Frikkin Mars surface!

:iamwithstupid:

When you think of it in that aspect, its completely mind blowing. Funny how most don't see how amazing this truly is.

how do we even know that the damn thing is really in Mars? how far again is Mars from Earth? how long did this thing take to get there?

The Government wouldnt lie to us, its for sure there. :icon_mrgreen: Its roughly 150 million miles from earth. Didnt it launch in November or December of last year? That seems to sound right.

So are these pictures filtered correctly? Like is that how it would look to the naked human eye? I ask because I know sometimes pictures from cameras of space probes and so forth portray a picture that the naked human eye wouldn't really see.

how do we even know that the damn thing is really in Mars? how far again is Mars from Earth? how long did this thing take to get there?

Doesn't make much sense for the government to perpetuate a hoax about landing a little robot on Mars.