iPhone 5!

Robster Craws

Just wait until Apple gets a hold of the TV market. You've seen what they have done with computers, phones, tablets, and the music industry.

It is interesting to read what people said about Apple back when they first did things, the mouse, tablet, phone, iTunes... People really doubted the iPod would make it.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never bought share before, I have a strong urge to spend few dollars on AAPL and hold, quick advice from the pros?

According to one analyst I heard, AAPL stock historically outperforms the market leading into iPhone announcements and during the time between the announcement and the actual release, yet underperforms once the phones are released. So if history is anything to go by, you may be best waiting on a pull-back. Could break tradition and continue going up though, never know!

I generally take analyst recommendations with a grain of salt - however to give a bit of perspective on their view, Bloomberg consensus 12mth price target is $772.89 with 51 analysts having a buy rating 6 holds and 2 sell recommendations - after most analysts reviewing within the past week or so.

From a currency perspective it's probably a good time with the AUD where it is at the moment - reports of global central bank demand for AUD slowing could see weakness going forward. The next few RBA decisions could also result in it weakening, with a drop on the back of the release of the minutes today.

I'm in AAPL in mid 250's. I bought against friends rec's and look where we are now. It hit 300 and change at one point and dropped and everyone told me to sale. I honestly think that it is getting close to the ceiling without anything new tech being put out (new technology like TV/Web service, not device) but you never know. I put a proverbial stop at 680, but may hold a bit lower. I've had this for 3+ years so it may be time to find a new coaster that only goes up.

Best

It hit $702 in after hours trading. I'm calling a $707 open tomorrow, followed by some profit taking later in the week, then another bump on the 21st and 22nd when the phone launches in stores.

Opened at 699- day high so far- and a low of 696...

That's a nice gain PCow, do they pay dividends ?

They just recently announced a dividend system. When Steve was alive he didn't believe in dividends.

I'm still so upset about my aapl issue. I knew when the crash happened that it was a good buy. I bought in at 100. Then we were going through a re-fi and the bank said we needed cash in our account to make it happen. That was my easiest liquid so i pulled out at 200. They didn't let the re-fi go through and by then aapl had gone up so I didn't get back in.

Now instead of 7x gain i have a lowly 2x gain. The bank lost me aventador cash :eusa_wall:

So when I ordered my phone it said delivery on Friday. However I know in the past, the phones would actually arrive a day or two before release. Anyone know if that's a possibility again?

They just recently announced a dividend system. When Steve was alive he didn't believe in dividends.

I'm still so upset about my aapl issue. I knew when the crash happened that it was a good buy. I bought in at 100. Then we were going through a re-fi and the bank said we needed cash in our account to make it happen. That was my easiest liquid so i pulled out at 200. They didn't let the re-fi go through and by then aapl had gone up so I didn't get back in.

Now instead of 7x gain i have a lowly 2x gain. The bank lost me aventador cash :eusa_wall:

That's shocking, I am sorry to hear it Assman.I was thinking to buy about 1500 but not knowing anything about shares might be a bit of a risk, also I am the type of person that always invests long term, not sure if long term this will be good or not, I also looked at the dividends they are a touch over $10/share/annum, not enough for a long term investment, I have to get my head around it.I will find someone to teach me, I've been reading the posts on LP trying to educate myself but I don't get half the lingo :icon_mrgreen: I am looking forward to learning something new.

So when I ordered my phone it said delivery on Friday. However I know in the past, the phones would actually arrive a day or two before release. Anyone know if that's a possibility again?

They told me the same thing followed by a "but I wouldn't hold my breath!"

Just read that due to overwhelming number of preorders....those of us that preordered on Apple.com will not recieve our iphone 5 until as late as Friday, 10/5 (2 weeks later than original ship/release date).

Those want to wait in line at stores will get theirs on 9/21!!

So to answer your question, I wouldn't hold my breath!

Now those of you preordered from AT&T.com, Verizon, Best Buy, Sams Club, and Radio Shack, I have no idea if you'll get yours on 9/21 or not.

This is all per USAToday two days ago.

Alright, so for all of you smartphone experts out there, I have a query . . . .

I'm officially up for a new phone and new contract with Verizon in February '13, but my current phone is driving me F'ing nuts. It's a Samsung Droid Charge, and it was great when new, but got slower and slower and sloooooower as time went on, and now it's just almost IMPOSSIBLY frustrating. Opening and closing apps, sending texts, going back to the homescreen . . . just that takes MANY seconds. It's even been replaced under warranty and the replacement has the same problem. It's an older, single-core phone running Gingerbread. Just can't keep up with me, I guess.

So I called Verizon and argued and complained and got a supervisor and then got a manager and then got the manager's boss, and she was super-cool and agreed to let me upgrade my phone now (early), without having to pay full price -- just sign a new contract and pay the discounted price. The only phone I CAN'T choose if I do it early, though, is the iPhone 5, due to their contractual terms with Apple.

I was going to choose between the Galaxy S3, the iPhone 5 and the Motorola Droid Razr HD when it arrives shortly. I can get the S3 now and the Razr HD as soon as it comes out (in October), but would have to wait until February to get the new iPhone.

And thoughts or advice as to which way to go?

Thanks in advance!

PS: I am completely brand-agnostic. I don't have a dog in this fight. Just want the best, most enjoyable phone experience!

Just read that due to overwhelming number of preorders....those of us that preordered on Apple.com will not recieve our iphone 5 until as late as Friday, 10/5 (2 weeks later than original ship/release date).

Those want to wait in line at stores will get theirs on 9/21!!

So to answer your question, I wouldn't hold my breath!

Now those of you preordered from AT&T.com, Verizon, Best Buy, Sams Club, and Radio Shack, I have no idea if you'll get yours on 9/21 or not.

This is all per USAToday two days ago.

From what I remember its pretty easy to get one at radio shack on launch day, depending on where you live.

I'm officially up for a new phone and new contract with Verizon in February '13, but my current phone is driving me F'ing nuts. It's a Samsung Droid Charge, and it was great when new, but got slower and slower and sloooooower as time went on, and now it's just almost IMPOSSIBLY frustrating. Opening and closing apps, sending texts, going back to the homescreen . . . just that takes MANY seconds. It's even been replaced under warranty and the replacement has the same problem. It's an older, single-core phone running Gingerbread. Just can't keep up with me, I guess.

So I called Verizon and argued and complained and got a supervisor and then got a manager and then got the manager's boss, and she was super-cool and agreed to let me upgrade my phone now (early), without having to pay full price -- just sign a new contract and pay the discounted price. The only phone I CAN'T choose if I do it early, though, is the iPhone 5, due to their contractual terms with Apple.

I was going to choose between the Galaxy S3, the iPhone 5 and the Motorola Droid Razr HD when it arrives shortly. I can get the S3 now and the Razr HD as soon as it comes out (in October), but would have to wait until February to get the new iPhone.

Thanks in advance!

PS: I am completely brand-agnostic. I don't have a dog in this fight. Just want the best, most enjoyable phone experience!

If you really want the iphone, you could upgrade to the Razr HD through Verizon, and then before taking it out of the box, sell it as brand new on eBay, and then use the proceeds to buy an iPhone 5 at the unsubsidized price.

If you really want the iphone, you could upgrade to the Razr HD through Verizon, and then before taking it out of the box, sell it as brand new on eBay, and then use the proceeds to buy an iPhone 5 at the unsubsidized price.

Hmmmm . . . Strategery! But buying a Razr HD with the discount will likely be around $250. I could sell it for the same, I presume, and an unsubsidized iPhone 5 is what, $500, $600?

Thanks in advance!

Pay full price for Apple if you have to. Or find a 4S. They are far better to use than any of that android crap.

This.

I didn't preorder at 3AM like a lot of people did. Woke up at my regular 6:30 and got on Verizon's site and preordered two. (Apple kicked me out after trying twice). I have a tracking number now and they will be here Friday afternoon!

Even high quality MP3's take up a lot of space, not to mention 1080p HD video just eats and eats up space. I see the value in having a device with the most storage possible, but its hard to justify when you know the extra storage costs dollars and they are charging hundreds as an upsell. I wouldnt say it's insignificant. The price of a 64 gb phone is the price of two 16gb iPhones (actually more by a buck).

You should probably stick to downloading 720p movies for use on the iPhone or re-encoding them. The screen is only 1136x640 and a 1080p rip requires a significantly higher bitrate than a 720p rip. With a 1080p rip you're probably either wasting space or getting inferior image quality.

I think another reason I hated filling up my iPod was that Apple somehow has the worst shuffle algorithm ever conceived. I'd have like 2000 songs on there and the amount of times I'd hear two songs in a row by the same artist was ridiculous. I'd have 5 songs by Nora Jones and somehow it would always play 2 in a row... out of thousands! It was borderline predictable.

That's shocking, I am sorry to hear it Assman.I was thinking to buy about 1500 but not knowing anything about shares might be a bit of a risk, also I am the type of person that always invests long term, not sure if long term this will be good or not, I also looked at the dividends they are a touch over $10/share/annum, not enough for a long term investment, I have to get my head around it.I will find someone to teach me, I've been reading the posts on LP trying to educate myself but I don't get half the lingo :icon_mrgreen: I am looking forward to learning something new.

I'd say the downside risk is greater than the upside potential. 20% up puts AAPL at nearly an $800B valuation. That is almost double XOM, a company that makes more money, has been making more money for a very long time, and pays out a better dividend. At 20% down, it puts AAPL at $530B. That is about 25% more than XOM. At 20% down, it's back to where it was only 3 months ago. 20% down wouldn't even be a fall from grace either. $530B is still the most valuable public company in the world.

If growth slows even remotely, it's going to get a serious haircut. They did sell a huge amount of pre-orders, but that is to be expected given the large user base who was waiting for the upgrade. Need another quarter of results to really know what is happening with growth.

I think another reason I hated filling up my iPod was that Apple somehow has the worst shuffle algorithm ever conceived. I'd have like 2000 songs on there and the amount of times I'd hear two songs in a row by the same artist was ridiculous. I'd have 5 songs by Nora Jones and somehow it would always play 2 in a row... out of thousands! It was borderline predictable.

I think it's based on what you listen to the most. The more you listen to an artist or genre the more you'll get that type of music in your shuffle.

I think it's based on what you listen to the most. The more you listen to an artist or genre the more you'll get that type of music in your shuffle.

Nah, I never turned that feature on. I've Googled it and many people have complained of the same thing happening. Not sure why it happens, but it does. They are just doing something weird. Winamp never does this.

Best thing to do. :iamwithstupid: