288mph Super Veyron coming to Frankfurt

Nath4N

according to CAR Magazine

Bugatti is preparing a new SuperVeyron for launch in 2013 - and CAR has uncovered fresh details on the new higher-performance Veyron. Like its 288mph top speed. A 0-62mph time to worry an F1 car's. And an even richer confection of carbonfibre to trim the Bug's lardy kerbweight.

Although not even the new McLaren P1 can out-Veyron the Veyron, the ultra high-end VW division decided to raise the bar again to give the car a fitting send-off.

More power for the Bugatti Veyron? The least required power boost ever?

According to the Molsheim grapevine, the horseshoe brand will at the 2013 Frankfurt motor show release the SuperVeyron.

As usually driven by grandseigneur Ferdinand Piech himself, the UltraBug gets a beefed-up quad-turbo W16 engine, which some sources suggest may be bored out from 8.0 litres to 9.6 litres.

It is said to deliver in kilowatts what the current cream-of-the-crop unit produces in bhp. Make that 1600bhp, which is enough to see the maximum speed soar from 431 to an unreal 460kph (268 to 288mph). The rumoured acceleration time from 0-62mph is 1.8sec, which would better the Ferrari Enzo replacement and which would make Sebastian Vettel's Red Bull racer a real impediment when the lights turn green.

Bugatti Veyron: a super-light model

The secret to all this extra performance is a weight-saving of almost 250 kilos over the SuperSport W16. At 1600 kilos, the limited-edition Veyron Evo for the super-mad and super-rich achieves a dream power-to-weight ratio of one kg/bhp.

Expect in principle the same tub but completely new front and rear ends with even more sophisticated active aerodynamics. The price? In excess of €2 million.

Who said the supercar was dead? Just because petrol costs these days more per litre than a decent Cote du Rhone? Or because electromobility is looming large in the minds of politicians and visionaries? Despite all those BEVs, REXs and PHEVs, the supercar is alive and kicking.

1002964[/url]']

Mind boggling... Can't wait to see this one. I wonder what they'll do when the time comes to replace the Veyron.

They will get NASA on board.

That sounds like quite an achievement all around. Inching towards 300mph. they will probably save that milestone for the replacement. :bigemo_harabe_net-195:

wow, crazy, I dont know about 1.8 seconds 0-60 though.

I think if it's an 8second 1/4 mile drag car then sure it could do 1.8 seconds 0-60mph but I think thats unlikely in a Veyron or they will have to beef up the tranny some more.

I think if it's an 8second 1/4 mile drag car then sure it could do 1.8 seconds 0-60mph but I think thats unlikely in a Veyron or they will have to beef up the tranny some more.

That's what I'm wondering too.. what kind of tranny could withstand that kind of acceleration without falling apart after a couple runs? What kind of tire technology would have to be employed to keep the wheels from spinning in one place? I'm assuming they're trying build this car with the same "hyper machine that lasts" philosophy as the previous versions, but then maybe not..?

Of course, I firmly believe every problem has a solution but it's still mind-boggling what they're trying to do here.. if they can pull it off my jaw will be on the floor.

I don't believe anything written in that piece.

I like CAR and enjoy their work, but this sounds like they've either been had by someone having a laugh at their expense or are simply trying to attract pageviews for ad revenue.

Would be nice to see it happen, but it sounds like wishful thinking to be honest.

didn't bugatti already say the last 5,10,15 or whatever it was were gonna be SS, where does this fit in. Color me skeptical

Sounds too good to be true, plus it throw all the SS owners under the bus - UNLESS it was limited to some insane production number (5-10) or something. Or 28...

But they've already done this before, haven't they? Everyone had the fastest production car in the world, then was told "But wait, there's more..." It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they preempted the new Ferrari or McLaren with a real ass kicker - we all know the SS wasn't 100% of the Veyron's (or Bugatti's engineers') capabilities.

Who will be the first to crack 300 - that's my question!

Sounds too good to be true, plus it throw all the SS owners under the bus - UNLESS it was limited to some insane production number (5-10) or something. Or 28...

But they've already done this before, haven't they? Everyone had the fastest production car in the world, then was told "But wait, there's more..." It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they preempted the new Ferrari or McLaren with a real ass kicker - we all know the SS wasn't 100% of the Veyron's (or Bugatti's engineers') capabilities.

Who will be the first to crack 300 - that's my question!

:iamwithstupid:

I would be pissed if I had just picked a SS.

• 2 months later...

from Bugatti's facebook page

The stage is set.

It’s almost time for us to share the latest example of exceptional Bugatti performance, simply keep a close eye on Facebook over the next few days.

73126_242128215916070_1987800376_n.jpg

As long as there's space to package it, it looks to me like there's plenty more power to be had just by swapping the log manifolds and internally gated turbos out for equal length turbo manifolds and two externally wastegated turbochargers with supporting modifications and tuning. I'd also imagine that the engine itself is capable of supporting significantly more power than it's making even in SS trim. I've been waiting for someone to drop a Veyron off at one of the tuning houses and say "go nuts". It wouldn't surprise me at all if the stock internals could support in excess of 2000 WHP. Big money at risk to do it but it would be fun to watch!

Bugatti-Veyron-W16-Engine.jpg

As long as there's space to package it, it looks to me like there's plenty more power to be had just by swapping the log manifolds and internally gated turbos out for equal length turbo manifolds and two externally wastegated turbochargers with supporting modifications and tuning. I'd also imagine that the engine itself is capable of supporting significantly more power than it's making even in SS trim. I've been waiting for someone to drop a Veyron off at one of the tuning houses and say "go nuts". It wouldn't surprise me at all if the stock internals could support in excess of 2000 WHP. Big money at risk to do it but it would be fun to watch!

In my professional experience, a well designed log manifold works exceptionally well even compared to a full tubular header, and on the low end usually quite a bit better. I would bet that even on an engine stand you wouldn't see much power gain changing manifolds, and if you do it's only at the very top of the RPM range. And from a production standpoint I know for certain they won't be going to a fabricated tubular header just because it would be very likely to crack and cause problems down the road. This is a multi-million dollar car we're talking about, not the cast iron manifolds from a 74' chevy truck.

That being said, I would imagine they would increase the turbo size a bit if for no other reason than to keep back pressure in check. Maybe go to a VGT?

I've worked in turbocharging for almost my entire professional career. Exhaust pulses colliding before reaching the turbine is not ideal for performance. A tubular manifold is good for F1 and the Enzo but not reliable?

There are plenty of places to make more than 1200-1300hp out of 8+ liters and forced induction. That setup doesn't even break a sweat at those power levels. If we can make 3-4 times the factory power output from Japanese imports without touching the internals, these guys have lots of headroom. I hope somebody pushes the envelope.

I've worked in turbocharging for almost my entire professional career. Exhaust pulses colliding before reaching the turbine is not ideal for performance. A tubular manifold is good for F1 and the Enzo but not reliable?

Those motors don't have positive pressure on the exhaust manifold, nor all the fixed components.

And who said just because it's a cast manifold that there was any pulse reverberation or collission?

If you haven't run a CFD on the manifold you would have no way of knowing how the pulses are reacting, but just from the picture with the dividers and internal shapes of the manifold it would be greatly minimized.

As I said, I've done back to back testing on these things and a properly sized cast manifold will perform very similarly with a tubular header in all but the upper rpm ranges, and even then it can be negligible.

At any rate I don't want to shit up this thread with somewhat irrelevant banter so I won't be responding further.

:iamwithstupid: 1.8 seconds would be absolutely ridiculous!

Pretty hard to do on the street my ZR 1 race car ran 0-60 in 1.2 but it also had 16in slicks and carried the front end into second gear, I just don't see that type of traction on the street. But then I never expected 288-300 mph factory cars or low 10 second 1/4 mile factory streetcars for the price you can get them for so who Knows.