nuclear test in north korea?

emanon

Bingo.

The only issue will be the poor innocent people who have no alternative or way out, or the ones who don't want to get out because they were brainwashed by the cancerous communist system.

It looks like he's calmed down, for now anyway.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waiting for 15th day missile tests and lots of NK propaganda and a sobering after it, or missile test that goes wrong or hits a wrong target and a war.

Well, You see I agree with you on half of what you said, but I am not entirely sure about what your expectation.

If Nuclear weapons weren't allowed, then I would say it is going to be the longest war the US will ever fight.

And prepare to loose 10k or more of your own/your allied troops+millions of innocent people.

Asia does not want to have a war at any level at this stage. No body wins a War.

Except that it wouldn't just be NK vs. US and SK it would be something along the lines of NK vs. everyone else. China would really be the only issue but in the last year or so they have been siding with the U.S. on the issue, they just can't be bothered with North Korea anymore. China is now more of a capitalist country than it is a communist and has no need for a buffer state between us, if anything China wants an economically booming unified Korea.

I'm not an expert on Military tactics by any means but I do know, with coordinated efforts of the U.S. its allies and China, Kim Jong Un and his cronies wouldn't stand a chance. North Korea citizen and military are defecting to China in record numbers. How well can an underfed military function? How many North Korean troops are willing to fight for a "dear leader" that starves them and threatens to throw them and their families in a Gulag? How long is their fuel supply going to last with no way to get anymore due to sanctions from the U.S. and China?

"The 2003 invasion of Iraq lasted from 19 March 2003 to 1 May 2003, and signaled the start of the conflict that later came to be known as the Iraq War, which was dubbed Operation Iraqi Freedom by the United States. The invasion consisted of 21 days of major combat operations, in which a combined force of troops from the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, and Poland, invaded Iraq and deposed the Ba'athist government of Saddam Hussein. The invasion phase consisted primarily of a conventionally-fought war which concluded with the capture of the Iraqi capital of Baghdad by American forces.

Four countries participated with troops during the initial invasion phase, which lasted from 19 March to 9 April 2003. These were the United States (148,000), United Kingdom (45,000), Australia (2,000), and Poland (194). 36 other countries were involved in its aftermath. In preparation for the invasion, 100,000 U.S. troops were assembled in Kuwait by 18 February.[21] The United States supplied the majority of the invading forces, but also received support from Kurdish irregulars in Iraqi Kurdistan."

Iraq was the most powerful nation in the middle east at the time and it took us three weeks to get rid of Saddam Hussein. Many of their troops surrendered, hell some of the troops on the front line tried to surrender before the war even started. I'm not saying I want war and I'm certainly not saying that we won't lose any troops but if the U.S. re-started this war it would be, in the minds of many many Americans, the first truly justified war with another nation in the last 70 years. I'm still young and I'd be willing to do my duty to help the North Koreans, there is no reason why the North Koreans have to live in these kind of situations.

I will say that I hope that there is some way we can work this thing out politically, perhaps these are just cries for attention and help. Sadly it just doesn't look like we will be able to do anything without taking out the Kim Jong Un regime, we've been trying for the last 20 years to work things out and they just don't want to change.

It looks like he's calmed down, for now anyway.

The art of brinksmanship from a position of weakness includes knowing when to back the fcuk down.

( It's a lesson I have learned over a number of years of marriage)

The art of brinksmanship from a position of weakness includes knowing when to back the fcuk down.

:lol2: love it

That made LOL :icon_thumleft:

North Korean Missile Launch Data Radio Frequencies are actively broadcasting... Confidence is high there will be a missile launch or multiple launches within the next 22 hours.

I believe there have been predictions of a Monday launch for a little while as it coincides with what would have been Kim Il-Sung's birthday. Suddenly looking more and more likely

Nobody is going to do anything as long as the missile test doesn't violates any national aerospace. But if it does all the bets are off.

I don't think he's that stupid, if he is the minute he orders the launch he signed his death certificate.

Nah, they'll just do their usual launch into the ocean, and then things will quiet down for a while.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
They should be buying food not weapons :eusa_wall:

When you regime is hell bent on killing your own people, food will only be going to the ruling party.

Check out this incredibly horrible story of the only known survivor who was born in a prison camp.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/30/living/escap...p-14-book-story

(CNN) -- Shin Dong-hyuk is the only known person born in a North Korean prison camp that escaped and survived to tell the tale.

Journalist Blaine Harden first uncovered Shin's story in 2008 and has now turned it into the riveting new biography "Escape from Camp 14: One Man's Remarkable Odyssey from North Korea to Freedom in the West."

North Korea has been splashed across world headlines in recent weeks over its threat to launch a long-range rocket, its suspected nuclear program and for its continued defiance of the West. If you want a singular perspective on what goes on inside the rogue regime, then you must read his story.

It's a harrowing tale of endurance and courage, at times grim but ultimately life-affirming. In the book, Harden offers an unnerving glimpse into one of the world's most repressive regimes. Until now, little was known about North Korea's labor camps, even though they've existed for decades. They're believed to hold between 150,000 and 200,000 prisoners and while they're plainly visible in satellite photos, the North Korean government claims they don't exist.

Shin knows otherwise. He was born in one of these "hidden gulags." He grew up in squalid conditions with unending, back-breaking work, and knew nothing of the outside world. He was starved, beaten and tortured. One of his earliest memories: Being forced to watch the execution of his mother and brother.

It wasn't until Shin was 23 years old he was able to climb through a high-voltage fence and escape. Somehow, Shin found his way to China, South Korea, and eventually the United States. Today, Shin lives in Seoul, but is still dealing with the psychological trauma of his former life in the camp.

Harden, a reporter for PBS Frontline and a contributor to The Economist, brings Shin's amazing story to life. CNN recently spoke to him about the book and his relationship with Shin. The following is an edited transcript:

CNN: This is an amazing story, how did you learn about Shin and when did you first meet him?

Harden: I heard about Shin from a human rights activist in Tokyo, where I was living and working as a correspondent for The Washington Post. At the time, I was desperately searching for a way to write about life inside North Korea. I quickly flew to Seoul and met Shin there for lunch in December, 2008. That meeting is detailed in the book.

CNN: What did you think of Shin and how difficult was it to confirm the details of his story?

Harden: Talking to Shin in person, his story sounds believable. It's because of the intensity and precision of his memory. His body, too, is a map of what he endured, with burns on his back and legs, and his partially-severed finger. His arms are bowed from childhood labor. Confirming the details of his story is impossible, if you mean going to Camp 14 and asking questions of his captors and torturers.

North Korea denies the existence of Camp 14 and all the other labor camps. Outsiders, including the (International Committee of the Red Cross), have never been allowed to visit them. The only way for North Korea to "refute, contradict or invalidate" the testimony of Shin and other camp survivors would be to permit outsiders to visit the camps. Otherwise, their testimony stands.

CNN: What did you find most shocking or disturbing about Shin's ordeal?

Harden: His anger at his mother -- and his statement that he was glad to see her die: These were the things that shocked me most upon meeting Shin. But as we continued to talk -- over the course of day-long conversations that extended for weeks in Seoul and later in Southern California -- I came to understand that guards had raised him to be suspicious of everyone.

He saw anyone who stood between him and his next meal as a potential enemy. He was raised to see personal redemption in acts that ratted out his own family. He believed that his mother, by discussing an escape plan with Shin's brother, had been irresponsible and reckless. Since he was a toddler, he had been forced to memorize camp rules that prescribe death for anyone who tries to escape or knows about an escape plan but does not report it immediately.

The moment Shin heard that his mother was considering an escape, his camp-bred instincts kicked in. He had to betray her: He knew that if he did not, it would mean his torture or death. He did turn her in. But he was tortured anyway.

CNN: How is Shin doing now?

Harden: He is now living in Seoul, after spending the better part of two years in Torrance, California; Seattle; Columbus, Ohio, and Washington D.C. He has begun working with a partner on a webcast aimed at telling the Korean-speaking world more about North Korea and the camps. His life's goal is to raise awareness of the camps. He wants them closed as soon as possible.

Everything else in his life is secondary to that goal. That is why he was willing to go though the misery of long interviews with me. In the book, in trying to explain how painful those interviews often were, I used the image of a dentist drilling without anesthetics -- for more than two years. Shin did not like it, but he put up with it because he wants everyone to know what went on in Camp 14 -- what still goes on.

CNN: Shin must have left a lasting impression on you, what kind of impact did his story have on you personally?

Harden: His story has obviously touched me profoundly. And like him, I want everyone in the world to know about the camps and to understand -- through an emotionally wrenching immersion in Shin's life inside Camp 14 -- that North Korea's dictatorship is sustained by child slavery, starvation, and unimaginable cruelty.

And to think a defected guard of one of the camps said this guy "had it easy" compared to many, is just sickening. My heart breaks for the people who have to live this life under these conditions.

This prison camp is nearly 87 sq. miles. I'm not sure that matches up with the satellite images, but look at them. Place looks as depressing as hell.

Googlemap: Hoeryong concentration camp, then zoom in. Looks awful.

Nothing shady about the company name at all....

The Lloyd's List report said the ship, which is registered to the Pyongyang-based Chongchongang Shipping Company

This prison camp is nearly 87 sq. miles. I'm not sure that matches up with the satellite images, but look at them. Place looks as depressing as hell.

Googlemap: Hoeryong concentration camp, then zoom in. Looks awful.

It has one review:

"This place is awesome. We eat almost once weekly! All hail Kim Il-Sung!"

https://plus.google.com/1136923739332029288...gl=us&hl=en

There was a thread some while back saying about how people in the prison camps end up with a back permanently bent at a 90-degree angle from being bent over so much for so long and also how the guards let dogs rip people up routinely. But that's the story of humanity, humans doing terrible things to other humans.

Cuba now saying they were to be repaired and returned.

If that is the case then why could the missiles and MIG engines not be fixed on site and returned? Ie North Korea flies the technicians over?

The fact the ship acted like it was shipping drugs is how it got caught, and yes it has been caught before.