35 members have voted

1. 1. SUV Choice

• G63
    • Cayenne Turbo
    • 2014 Range Rover HSE or SC
    • Other
    • Im fcuking nuts
    • None

Ok hope I did the poll right... we will see. Have 1 kid and need something a bit larger to haul the kid and stuff around. Tired of a sedan as thats what I have now. Whats your opinion on the choices I gave.

G63 worries me with the depreciation and overall Benz value curse. Will limited production help this?

Cayenne turbo I have always wanted but will car bore me and isnt it due for a refresh?

New Rover drives great and really seems like a lot of car for the money given the other 2 choices. But will it be too bland?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the same boat, we have a 2010 RR sport and that's getting to be tight. I need something that can hold a stroller and manage a decent Costco run, RR sport and the G are not it.

Escalade.

I don't know how long you plan on keeping this vehicle as you tend to move vehicles quickly, but what you need with 2 kids.

1. LOTS OF SPACE esepcially cargo space. You'll be hauling a shitload of gear.

2. Good rear entertainment system that operates on a seperate channel than the front system, so you can listen to proper music instead of having to blare 'wheels on the bus' through your 3000 dollar Mark Levinson system until you drink and drive just to keep your sanity.

3. Large rear doors and rear seat space. You're not getting younger and gettting those kids and all their other shit in and out of a tight vehicle will make you older fast. Also makes it easier to clean out the random stuff they spill. Milk spilled in a vehicle smells like feet on day 2 and like your college roommates ass on day 3.

4. If possible, a vehicle that makes it easy for your wife to get from the front seat to the back seat easily. Otherwise you'll have to pull over for her to get back there to shove a bottle/pacifier/tit in the kids face to stop the crying.

5. Convenient features. I think these are getting ubiquitious, but auto open/close liftgate with a push of a keyfob is a godsend when you have groceries and a baby bag in your arm and a kid stuck to your right leg.

6. Safety rating. You're transporting your family in there.

Gs don't get the depreciation that most of the other Benzes get. 2011 G55s are still around $100k it seems. The G would be my choice for an SUV hands down.

Escalade.

Problem is Raj this is going to be my DD. If it were the wives then I would look into the Escalade. However I dont want to deal with the Escalade day in and day out. After 2 RRS SC I prefer a bit more.... luxury I guess.

Escalade = :crybaby2: :crybaby2: :crybaby2: :crybaby2: Worst ownership experience in my life. WHY CANT RR MAKE A BIGGER SUV.

The new Range Rover has a pretty good size trunk. Not G Wagon big but big. The lack of conveniences in the G Wagon make me taste H1..... ha.

The G is the coolest of the bunch but not the highest tech. It doesn't even have a center cup holder on the newest one which is rediculous for an SUV. Resale on a G crushes a Rover and just about any other SUV. Decent cargo room and if you dont need a third row it will do what you need. The prices on a new G63 are getting out of hand though. Same with a decent RR autobiography.

Problem is Raj this is going to be my DD. If it were the wives then I would look into the Escalade. However I dont want to deal with the Escalade day in and day out. After 2 RRS SC I prefer a bit more.... luxury I guess.

What's the wife going to DD?

Escalade.

I don't know how long you plan on keeping this vehicle as you tend to move vehicles quickly, but what you need with 2 kids.

1. LOTS OF SPACE esepcially cargo space. You'll be hauling a shitload of gear.

2. Good rear entertainment system that operates on a seperate channel than the front system, so you can listen to proper music instead of having to blare 'wheels on the bus' through your 3000 dollar Mark Levinson system until you drink and drive just to keep your sanity.

3. Large rear doors and rear seat space. You're not getting younger and gettting those kids and all their other shit in and out of a tight vehicle will make you older fast. Also makes it easier to clean out the random stuff they spill. Milk spilled in a vehicle smells like feet on day 2 and like your college roommates ass on day 3.

4. If possible, a vehicle that makes it easy for your wife to get from the front seat to the back seat easily. Otherwise you'll have to pull over for her to get back there to shove a bottle/pacifier/tit in the kids face to stop the crying.

5. Convenient features. I think these are getting ubiquitious, but auto open/close liftgate with a push of a keyfob is a godsend when you have groceries and a baby bag in your arm and a kid stuck to your right leg.

6. Safety rating. You're transporting your family in there.

So you're saying an H1 Alpha wagon then. :icon_thumleft:

Not to derail from the SUV base, but a full size crew cab truck with a tonneau cover is much more useful IMO if you don't need the options to haul 7 people. Plus they seem to be built better than the SUVs.

What's the wife going to DD?

Thats still up in the air.... she wants to keep a Sedan until she NEEDS a bigger car. Might work a deal on a simple C300 if I go the G Wagon route. She still has to earn her street cred and not trash a car.

Get a G550. The G63 is over priced and depreciates quickly where as the G550 holds it value extremely well. Don't worry about going fast in the G wag . . . it is a big silly box. Just enjoy the great smell, comfort and "cool" factor. I absolutely loved my 2013.

I have a 2013 ML 63 with performance pack. I like it very much because there is a lot of power, the ride is supple and the interior is reasonably luxurious. I got a preowned with low miles which I think is a very good value for the car. There's pretty good trunk space and rear seat legroom. Mine has a rear entertainment as well for the children.

X5 ///M??? :D

It sounds like for your needs a large 4-door wagon would suit your needs (like a 5 Series wagon or Panamera)

You just go big and get one of these:

X5 ///M??? :D

THere's always this:

Haha you guys are crazy!!! Dont think Portia would enjoy either of those! X5M or X6M may be a valid option though. Though doesnt seem like the X5M is available to build online anymore?

WHY CANT RR MAKE A BIGGER SUV.

Because Americans are one of the few markets that demand everything bigger (including their BMI). Heck, LR is going the opposite direction. Evoque...

I have an RRSC and just went in to look at the new 2014. Pretty nice, but even MORE of a pavement specific truck than mine. Too bad wagons have such a negative stigma here in the US, most people would be better off with one.

ML63 is by far the best sports SUV on the market. Cayenne Turbos and X5Ms are also winners. I am not a fan of anything else in the SUV world.

Only 1 up the G wagon has is the optional red interior which I LOVE!

You can get red interior on the RR autobiography as well. On RRS too.

My only concern is losing my ass on a car that will barely pull a premium once I go to resell it.

My only concern is losing my ass on a car that will barely pull a premium once I go to resell it.

Why not lease something? My wife and I have been doing that with her car so that every 3 years we can get her another vehicle that fits the current needs of she and the kids.

The other plus of course is that the vehicle she and the kids are in is always new and under warranty with the most modern safety gadgets and convenience features.

Well first go drive the Cayenne TT. You've alwasy wanted one. But I know you, and youll get bored of the Rover. I dont think any of those can provide the smiles and enjoyment you showed yesterday when we were rolling that black G55 around. And that was not even an updated model!

Signed,

Your voice of absolutely no reason