Goverment Shutdown...

Supercar Ace

As a military contractor my self we are heavily affected. Our government oversight official (DCMA) is out until this gets resolved which means no testing for us on new government equipment which basically means we are grounded until further notice. However the Army still wants us to meat the deadlines they set up in the contracts (figure that one out). So for me anyways im not out of a paycheck, yet, but im doing next to nothing at work. Its a pain in the ass for all involved.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fox is reporting that obama actually signed legislation to continue pay for all civilian contractors but for some reason they furloughed you anyway?

Fox is reporting that obama actually signed legislation to continue pay for all civilian contractors but for some reason they furloughed you anyway?

No I am still payed (My check doesn't come from the gov) but the officials that over see our operations and approve us to act and do certain things was furloughed. As a result we in the private sector still get a check but we as a company cant do a whole lot as we cant get approval.

Contracts that were approved and funded are ok for NOW (4-5 months out), pending contracts (that were approved but not fully funded) are on hold since the people who turn those wheels are furloughed. We will feel the sting of what they do today 6 months from now.

My business is having issues because I'm an Energy Star partner. They just overhauled their whole site a month ago (and it was train-wreck of a launch) and they just got it working on Monday. Then Tuesday this happens...needless to say a lot of my customers are pissed :eusa_wall:

Lets be realistic...

In EVERY OTHER SHUTDOWN, once the stalemate was broken, all employees who missed paychecks were given back pay. So, yeah, if you live paycheck to paycheck its going to be tight until its over, but lets face it, the government has been shut down 3 days. That's a long weekend. How many fcuking paychecks would have gone out in that time? My conservative guess is, NONE. The idea that the cupboard is bare and the kids are starving is a bit of a stretch at this point...

I also dont like that the executive branch is taking PUNITIVE actions against the citizens.... Like the CLOSING, and BARRICADING of the OPEN fcuking AIR WW2 MEMORIAL THAT DOES NOT REQUIRE ANY FEDERAL MONEY TO CONTINUE TO SIT THERE WHILE PEOPLE WALK BY IT... They actually had to SPEND MONEY to shut that down. It costs NOTHING to leave it open.

Same with the Mt. Vernon PARKING LOT.... I've been to millions of parking lots in my life. NONE REQUIRED ANY DAY TO COSTS TO RUN (unless you wanted to collect a FEE for using it, in which case the fee should COVER the cost to COLLECT IT, except, MAYBE, if the FEDERAL fcuking GOVERNMENT WAS RUNNING IT).

These are things that SIT THERE. THEY COST NOTHING TO OPERATE... YOU DONT fcuking NEED TO PAY A PERSON TO BE THERE AT THE WW2 Memorial, any more than they need to pay a person to stand next to the HOLLYWOOD SIGN or the HOLLYWOOD WALK OF FAME.

Yosemite and the Grand Canyon sat there for tens of millions of years without the Federal Government... But now we have to make people stay away from them? Why? If there arent rangers to collect the fees, then fling the fcuking gates open and let people in....

Its PUNITIVE.... And its fcuking bullshit.

^ amen to that. Just scare tactics by the admin to the citizens for publicity SMH

Did anyone else get a lovely letter from their health insurance small group provider that your plan would not be renewed, so as to conform with the affordable care act?

Lets be realistic...

In EVERY OTHER SHUTDOWN, once the stalemate was broken, all employees who missed paychecks were given back pay. So, yeah, if you live paycheck to paycheck its going to be tight until its over, but lets face it, the government has been shut down 3 days. That's a long weekend. How many fcuking paychecks would have gone out in that time? My conservative guess is, NONE. The idea that the cupboard is bare and the kids are starving is a bit of a stretch at this point...

I also dont like that the executive branch is taking PUNITIVE actions against the citizens.... Like the CLOSING, and BARRICADING of the OPEN fcuking AIR WW2 MEMORIAL THAT DOES NOT REQUIRE ANY FEDERAL MONEY TO CONTINUE TO SIT THERE WHILE PEOPLE WALK BY IT... They actually had to SPEND MONEY to shut that down. It costs NOTHING to leave it open.

Same with the Mt. Vernon PARKING LOT.... I've been to millions of parking lots in my life. NONE REQUIRED ANY DAY TO COSTS TO RUN (unless you wanted to collect a FEE for using it, in which case the fee should COVER the cost to COLLECT IT, except, MAYBE, if the FEDERAL fcuking GOVERNMENT WAS RUNNING IT).

These are things that SIT THERE. THEY COST NOTHING TO OPERATE... YOU DONT fcuking NEED TO PAY A PERSON TO BE THERE AT THE WW2 Memorial, any more than they need to pay a person to stand next to the HOLLYWOOD SIGN or the HOLLYWOOD WALK OF FAME.

Yosemite and the Grand Canyon sat there for tens of millions of years without the Federal Government... But now we have to make people stay away from them? Why? If there arent rangers to collect the fees, then fling the fcuking gates open and let people in....

:iamwithstupid: Well stated as always....

Did anyone else get a lovely letter from their health insurance small group provider that your plan would not be renewed, so as to conform with the affordable care act?

My company has been talking about moving to tiered health insurance. Our current plan would be considered a caddilac plan and if you want to keep that you have to pay more out of pocket, otherwise everyone is going to drop a level. Exactly how that waste of human flesh presented his only legislation....or not.

Lets be realistic...

:iamwithstupid: :iamwithstupid: :iamwithstupid:

RomanDad for President 2016!

:iamwithstupid: :iamwithstupid: :iamwithstupid:

RomanDad for President 2016!

Now that is someone i would fully support! We need good common sense on capital hill!

And another fcuking thing....

The Obama care rollout (which is what this whole thing is about) was a fcuking disaster. They had the money to turn THAT on, but NOT the WW2 memorial?

Except that, it didnt really get turned on... The VAST majority of People who went to the website were unable to complete the process...

Now... Put on your tinfoil hats with me for a minute- I think THAT was intentional. The administration doesn't WANT the public to see what Obamacare is, until this fight in Congress is over... because 75% of Obamacare's supporters, STILL THINK THEY WILL BE GETTING FREE HEALTHCARE!

IT AIN'T fcuking FREE. IT AINT EVEN fcuking IN THE SAME DICTIONARY AS FREE.

One of the reports I heard was that a 27 Year old making $45,000, with the MINIMUM Ocare plan is paying $100/ MONTH and has a $13,000 Deductible... Yep... 13K before the "insurance" kicks in.

I remember when I was a 27 year old making $45,000 a year. My insurance was $50/month and I had a $100 deductible. 13K in deductibles would have BANKRUPTED me. (which isn't that the POINT of Ocare? Because face it, this isn't about "Healthcare". Every body gets "Health Care" in this country. The question is WHO HAS TO PAY FOR IT ONCE YOU'VE GOTTEN IT... That same person who is on deaths door and would trade ANYTHING to have a chance to take another breath, all of a sudden becomes Scrooge McDuck 6 months later after the Evil fcuking Doctors used a bunch of Evil fcuking drugs and Evil fcuking Medical devices to save their tightwad lives, and the fcuking BILL HAS COME DUE! So people make choices... For the cost of an IPHONE PLAN every month, you used to be able to get somebody else to pay for it.... But its not fair we make people choose between Iphones and healthcare...So they roll the dice and risk being BANKRUPTED by the cost if something bad happens... Theyre still alive... They just wont be able to get credit for 7 years.... BOO fcuking HOO!)

I heard another report of a 40 year old woman with a pre-existing condition getting a quote of $36,000/ year in PREMIUMS.... Jesus fcuking Christ! I couldn't fcuking afford that and I drive a Lamborfuckinghini!

That is NOT what these people were expecting.

And so they are "Opting Out" of OCare.... and are right back where they were BEFORE Obamacare... Without HEALTH Insurance.... Except.... Un... Of Course.... They have to pay a FINE for not being able to afford it now... So they're actually worse off than before... THANKS A LOT FEDERAL GOVERNMENT!

And, of course, thanks to the MANDATES of Ocare, we have a LOT FEWER employers offering insurance to a LOT LESS of their employees... So their are MORE people who can't afford it now, than there were when they passed the thing.

And when those people (all except those who would cut off their own noses to spite their political face) wake up to that fact they will join in the "delay and defund camp" too. And then it collapses.

Lets be realistic...

Everyone "hopes" that pay will be retroactive here as it was in 95'/96'. However, things are not looking good, as the letters and guidance we received does not look promising (nor does the fact that we were told we would be allowed to file for unemployment if it lasts more than 5 days). That being said, everyone who is required to work without pay for the time being WILL be paid retroactively. It is only the people that were told, "go home and wait till we call you" that *may* be screwed here, but again, fingers are crossed. Like you said RD, no one has felt the effect in a paycheck yet, as this began in the middle of a pay period.

My Fiancé and I (and most of our friends) are fortunate to not be starving by any means, however it is still scary to think what will happen if this lasts for weeks or more. The first paycheck that will be affected by this for all federal employees is Oct. 17th. (That particular pay period ends tomorrow, so at worse your check will be 4 days short of the 10 day period, or about 40% lower).

Like everyone else, I was disgusted to see the situation and action taken at the WW2 memorial. If you cant fund a security guard at the entrance to sit there, open the gates and let people in!

Funny thing, I got a call from one of our PM leaders today (they are funded and continue to work) asking if I was back in the office yet and if a meeting we had scheduled today with a LARGE defense contractor was still on. You can only imagine how much of a priority this meeting is to me right now while I am home on an unpaid vacation. :lol2:

And another fcuking thing....

The Obama care rollout (which is what this whole thing is about) was a fcuking disaster. They had the money to turn THAT on, but NOT the WW2 memorial?

Except that, it didnt really get turned on... The VAST majority of People who went to the website were unable to complete the process...

Now... Put on your tinfoil hats with me for a minute- I think THAT was intentional. The administration doesn't WANT the public to see what Obamacare is, until this fight in Congress is over... because 75% of Obamacare's supporters, STILL THINK THEY WILL BE GETTING FREE HEALTHCARE!

IT AIN'T fcuking FREE. IT AINT EVEN fcuking IN THE SAME DICTIONARY AS FREE.

One of the reports I heard was that a 27 Year old making $45,000, with the MINIMUM Ocare plan is paying $100/ MONTH and has a $13,000 Deductible... Yep... 13K before the "insurance" kicks in.

I remember when I was a 27 year old making $45,000 a year. My insurance was $50/month and I had a $100 deductible. 13K in deductibles would have BANKRUPTED me. (which isn't that the POINT of Ocare? Because face it, this isn't about "Healthcare". Every body gets "Health Care" in this country. The question is WHO HAS TO PAY FOR IT ONCE YOU'VE GOTTEN IT... That same person who is on deaths door and would trade ANYTHING to have a chance to take another breath, all of a sudden becomes Scrooge McDuck 6 months later after the Evil fcuking Doctors used a bunch of Evil fcuking drugs and Evil fcuking Medical devices to save their tightwad lives, and the fcuking BILL HAS COME DUE! So people make choices... For the cost of an IPHONE PLAN every month, you used to be able to get somebody else to pay for it.... But its not fair we make people choose between Iphones and healthcare...So they roll the dice and risk being BANKRUPTED by the cost if something bad happens... Theyre still alive... They just wont be able to get credit for 7 years.... BOO fcuking HOO!)

I heard another report of a 40 year old woman with a pre-existing condition getting a quote of $36,000/ year in PREMIUMS.... Jesus fcuking Christ! I couldn't fcuking afford that and I drive a Lamborfuckinghini!

That is NOT what these people were expecting.

And so they are "Opting Out" of OCare.... and are right back where they were BEFORE Obamacare... Without HEALTH Insurance.... Except.... Un... Of Course.... They have to pay a FINE for not being able to afford it now... So they're actually worse off than before... THANKS A LOT FEDERAL GOVERNMENT!

And, of course, thanks to the MANDATES of Ocare, we have a LOT FEWER employers offering insurance to a LOT LESS of their employees... So their are MORE people who can't afford it now, than there were when they passed the thing.

And when those people (all except those who would cut off their own noses to spite their political face) wake up to that fact they will join in the "delay and defund camp" too. And then it collapses.

:iamwithstupid: Please get in front of a camera (especially in hyper-liberal LA) and tell the people how it is :icon_thumleft:

This is not a Democrats vs Republicans issue, this is an American issue. I don't care what side of the fence you're on, this is abut those who are our leaders not doing a good job and making life much more difficult for everyone.

The phone number to sign up for Obamacare is 1-800-fcuk YO. No. This is not a joke. Thats the real fcuking number.

Obama has ordered PRIVATELY run national parks that do not use taxpayers funds to close.

Why would anybody trust a government that punishes citizens OUT OF SPITE, with their life and death healthcare issues?

Obama has ordered PRIVATELY run national parks that do not use taxpayers funds to close.

Why would anybody trust a government that punishes citizens OUT OF SPITE, with their life and death healthcare issues?

:iamwithstupid:

That's it, you run for President, I'll be your VP :icon_thumleft:

For employees, not for contractors.

Back in my teaching days, many years ago, one of the things I liked to ask the class to consider was this: Imagine a government agency with only two tasks: (1) building statues of Benedict Arnold and (2) providing life-saving medications to children. If this agency's budget were cut, what would it do?

The answer, of course, is that it would cut back on the medications for children. Why? Because that would be what was most likely to get the budget cuts restored. If they cut back on building statues of Benedict Arnold, people might ask why they were building statues of Benedict Arnold in the first place. - Thomas Sowell

aka: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Monument_Syndrome

Tensions are mounting. And rightfully so.

The "barrycades" at the WWII monument infuriated me, like, "yelling at the computer monitor" infuriate.

It keeps getting worse.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/04/...E9930FB20131004

(Reuters) - American tourists visiting a D-Day cemetery in Normandy, northern France, expressed anger upon discovering that the white-cross memorial they had traveled thousands of miles to see was closed due to a U.S. government shutdown.

Thousands of Americans flock to Normandy each year to see the beaches and sharp cliff-faces where Allied soldiers made their first entry into Nazi-occupied France during a massive invasion on June 6, 1944, known as D-Day.

A year from the invasion's 70th anniversary, many came especially to visit the Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial, known for its pristine rows of white crosses, only to discover that its gates were chained shut.

"Due to the U.S. Government shut-down this site is closed to the public," read a sign on the gate. Dozens of roses had been strewn underneath by visitors.

A political standoff in Washington between Republicans and Democrats over the U.S. budget has shut down non-essential government services, including the American Battle Monuments Commission (AMBC) that manages dozens of cemeteries for U.S. servicemen in foreign countries.

The AMBC's website said its cemeteries and memorials commemorating some 125,000 American war dead abroad were closed temporarily due to a funding gap linked to the shutdown.

Visitors from the United States, some of whom said they had been planning their trips for months, blamed the political opportunism of congressmen for a gridlock that had deprived them access to the cemetery where ancestors were buried.

Danny and Elizabeth Ferguson, a couple from North Carolina, said they were shocked to find the cemetery closed.

"We were very very sad, after travelling so far and making such plans, to find that the government has elected to shut this place down," said Danny, a lawyer. "We think it's all political, and we think it's terrible."

While 12 nations participated in the D-Day invasion, the United States, Britain and Canada provided the bulk of troops. Some visitors said their grandfathers had fought in Normandy or been killed.

Fred Oldman, whose father was part of the invasion at Utah beach, one of five codenames given to the beaches, said he never assumed the sites would not be operating when he scheduled his trip.

"We scheduled this trip about nine months ago and unfortunately we can't go to a cemetery because our government seems to shut everything down when they can't get along," he said. "So we're very disappointed in that."

(This refile corrects name of beach to Utah, from Ohio, paragraph 11)