MP4-12C leaves the 991 Turbo S in the dust.....

FikseSTS

His performance figures for both cars are off by a good deal! Looks like the Mp4 got a slight jump, but wouldnt matter. Seems the 991 Turbo isnt any faster than the old 997 Turbo and that is very dissapointing..

yea, I thought that as well, probably no roll out in his numbers...

His performance figures for both cars are off by a good deal! Looks like the Mp4 got a slight jump, but wouldnt matter. Seems the 991 Turbo isnt any faster than the old 997 Turbo and that is very dissapointing..

For the money they charge for a Turbo S, it better be faster than a McLaren - because one looks like a supercar and one is supposed to outperform supercars. One does both very well, one.... doesn't.

Why would anyone buy a 911 turbo for the price? I hate how rear biased the car is. I would not buy another 911 for my own safety sake

Because it is the perfect sportscar. Bland and boring, yes. But simply perfect.

I wouldn't want one.

The McLaren pulled the Porsche very hard over 100 mph, but if you notice by around 160 mph it didn't look like it was pulling away anymore, if anything it looked like the Porsche might be closing the gap slightly, which was odd.

Also, I can't for the life of me understand Harris's comments about turbo lag on the McLaren. I've tracked the car numerous times and never even considered lag to be a factor at all.

Also, I can't for the life of me understand Harris's comments about turbo lag on the McLaren. I've tracked the car numerous times and never even considered lag to be a factor at all.

It may not be a factor, but it is noticeable and to be quite honest I think a true supercar should have a N/A engine.

I loved the Mac when I drove it and strongly concider one as my next exotic, but the above still applies.

Meh, Porsche is still Porsche. The history, the pedigree. James Dean, Steve McQueen........... plus you could own it as your only car, summer/winter it'll do it all. Pretty sure my Murcielago wont even start below 0 Celsius haha

It may not be a factor, but it is noticeable and to be quite honest I think a true supercar should have a N/A engine.

I loved the Mac when I drove it and strongly concider one as my next exotic, but the above still applies.

N/A engine? GAY.... Only person who wants an N/A engine is someone who has never experienced a proper Turbo motor. Turbo is BEST!

N/A engine? GAY.... Only person who wants an N/A engine is someone who has never experienced a proper Turbo motor. Turbo is BEST!

I had a Supra with over 1000HP back in -03 oldman, easy now :icon_butt:

I have no desire to own a turbo anything sans a veyron or pagani.

I think we need to enjoy the NA 10's and 12's we have since they'll probably be going extinct soon. Turbo Diesels are awesome in sedans and SUV's, but I agree, an exotic needs a big bad NA motor. Even in Porsche the GT3 is far more fun to drive then the more powerful GT2. The sound of a Lamborghini V10 or V12 winding out past 7K RPM tho..... is an occasion

yea, looks like it held there for a bit, then starting falling back again towards the end... I don't feel any lag in the car, just had mine out in the first cold front down here, 56 degrees and it was screaming fast.... spinning the R888 tires a bit on a first gear roll out...

The McLaren pulled the Porsche very hard over 100 mph, but if you notice by around 160 mph it didn't look like it was pulling away anymore, if anything it looked like the Porsche might be closing the gap slightly, which was odd.

I have no desire to own a turbo anything sans a veyron or pagani.

That cause you can't even handle your car with the power it has!

The sound of a lambo v10 or v12 with turbos is the greatest sound in the world.

:iamwithstupid:

Best of both worlds: high rpm scream combined with big turbo torque and POWER.

if not the greatest at least one of the top three

This was the outcome I expected. Think I even got lucky and said this in another thread under Porsche Power. I figured the 911 Turbo S would keep pace with the McLaren until 60 by virtue of its AWD. Then it would get walked and it did.

Porsche 911 Turbo S, There IS a substitute --The McLaren MP4-12C... :icon_super:

There has been a bit of afters with this video.

A person on Pistonheads questioned Chris's integrity.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.a...+vs+McLaren+12C

APOLO1 said:

Chris Great Vid,

Why did you not use launch control on both cars. Also was the TTS in sport plus mode, missive diff not just in torque but throttle map....I have done this test and if all the tts assets are used, its faster to 120.....Along with the 12C-SP as tested in that Colour is listed at 243k if it has CCBDs, the TTS as tested is 142k.....100k Diff......

and

There is a back story to this Vid....Wait till Jan....

Which Chris has replied

Love to know what the back story is! I think I was there for the days this was shot.

And the Porsche used launch control on every launch. Which means to get all the angles it did 15 consecutive launches without any trouble whatsoever. Imagine how strong the powertrain is to do that? Mighty impressive. The 12C would do 2 launches and then needed to have a clutch re-think before running again. McLaren were there with the car. Porsche weren't.

No idea what your beef is with the veracity of the drag race. It's there in the pictures. Obviously we have to patch various shots of different runs to make the narrative flow properly, but otherwise it's just two cars, launch control, and go. You can't fake that, don't quite understand why I'd ever want to.

I really, really like the 991 Turbo S - far more than the old 997. Have said so all along, wrote it here a month back and said so in the video.

Although after a decade of being accused of being paid by Porsche, I have to say your rabid and of course wholly offensive assertion that I'm somehow now in McLaren's pocket actually makes quite a refreshing change.

Have a good weekend. Enjoy your rather excellent car.