Moving overseas in two days

Smash Boy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, and given its role they've done a pretty good job keeping it under wraps from the public eye. I never heard of it until this came up.

um... uh... Its not really a secret... You know?

BTW... Don't bother packing a coat.

have a good year! :)

My step brother did a year on Ascension island in the late 80's, he is a crazy MF'er. Couldn't wait to get back. Don't know how comparable the experiences would be. Good luck!

My step brother did a year on Ascension island in the late 80's, he is a crazy MF'er. Couldn't wait to get back. Don't know how comparable the experiences would be. Good luck!

DG makes Ascension look like Manhattan.

Have fun man... Do you know where you will be living? Do they have separate civilian housing? Or are you in a BEQ/BOQ?

Have fun buddy! The way I see this, there is very little downside. One year living on a very secluded island with amazing weather can't be that bad. :) It will look good for the work resume, you'll meet new people, have new assignments. Enjoy life!!

DG makes Ascension look like Manhattan.

Have fun man... Do you know where you will be living? Do they have separate civilian housing? Or are you in a BEQ/BOQ?

I believe civilian housing.

Sounds like a great opportunity! My wife and I have been contemplating a two year contract in Hawaii. Believe it or not, considering the cost of living and population difference, I would probably choose DG over Maui for a year, not for two though. I'll have to wait for your impressions to see if that line of thinking makes sense later.

One of my best friends spent time on DG and Guam. He actually preferred DG (I think). Spent most of his spare time fishing. I would say the isolation is one of the most attractive features. My idea of a perfect beach is one that is completely empty, with no sign of humans to be found. One of the only things I remember him saying about Guam was that the standing promotion at the local Toyota dealer was a case of spam and a one hundred pound bag of rice with every new car purchase. :lol2: What's the transportation situation going to be? Doesn't look like cars are a necessity. Bike, ATV, etc.? Good luck!

So... You there yet? Have you scoped out the local vahine?

Funny guy. :lol2:

Got in late last night.....today was my first full day here.

Pretty nice place. Nice and compact for most of the things you want to do from where I'm staying.....the drive out to work is about 3 miles away, and the 25 mph speed limit artificially enhances that drive to 6 miles, lol.

Water is gorgeous, and the beach is 100 feet from my door. Humidity isn't too bad.....nothing an east coaster couldn't handle!

There's a few nice girls I've seen so far.....I'm into Filipinos so it's all good. :eusa_dance: The island is around 80-90% Filipino nationals, the US/UK population is small.

I don't know if you're into fishing much, but it's incredible here. Great variety, and everything is huge.

Will report more soon.

BTW, Singapore was pretty cool for the day I was there. I saw a nice late gen white 550-2 there.....looked great. Raffles Hotel was very plush. Look forward to spending more time there someday....

Sounds like a great opportunity! My wife and I have been contemplating a two year contract in Hawaii. Believe it or not, considering the cost of living and population difference, I would probably choose DG over Maui for a year, not for two though. I'll have to wait for your impressions to see if that line of thinking makes sense later.

One of my best friends spent time on DG and Guam. He actually preferred DG (I think). Spent most of his spare time fishing. I would say the isolation is one of the most attractive features. My idea of a perfect beach is one that is completely empty, with no sign of humans to be found. One of the only things I remember him saying about Guam was that the standing promotion at the local Toyota dealer was a case of spam and a one hundred pound bag of rice with every new car purchase. :lol2: What's the transportation situation going to be? Doesn't look like cars are a necessity. Bike, ATV, etc.? Good luck!

Cars aren't a necessity, although the company provides cars that we all share. There's a bus that can get you throughout most of the island, although if you're in the "downtown" part, it's very walkable. There are a lot of bikes here.....no ATVs or motorcycles. Interesting observation: right hand drive cars for the most part, but we drive on the right side of the road (pun intended). :icon_mrgreen:

If you like beach with isolation this is the place for sure. It's definitely not something I'm used to.....seeing a beach with nobody in it, maybe a couple of people here and there, that's it. The moonlight tonight on the beach was incredible......clear moon, stars, reflection off the water, not much noise.

In order for you to bring your wife, she would have to get clearance and work here too. Cannot bring family and friends otherwise. I guess it's possible to have that type of situation but it's pretty rare.

It's not all single people here.....if you can go 6 months without seeing her, meet her in Asia somewhere, then reunite 6 months later, it probably wouldn't be too bad.

It's not all single people here.....if you can go 6 months without seeing her, meet her in Asia somewhere, then reunite 6 months later, it probably wouldn't be too bad.

Seeing my wife only every 6 months probably would have extended the length of our marriage dramatically.

Seeing each other every day wasn't really desirable for either one of us.

Cars aren't a necessity, although the company provides cars that we all share. There's a bus that can get you throughout most of the island, although if you're in the "downtown" part, it's very walkable. There are a lot of bikes here.....no ATVs or motorcycles. Interesting observation: right hand drive cars for the most part, but we drive on the right side of the road (pun intended). :icon_mrgreen:

If you like beach with isolation this is the place for sure. It's definitely not something I'm used to.....seeing a beach with nobody in it, maybe a couple of people here and there, that's it. The moonlight tonight on the beach was incredible......clear moon, stars, reflection off the water, not much noise.

In order for you to bring your wife, she would have to get clearance and work here too. Cannot bring family and friends otherwise. I guess it's possible to have that type of situation but it's pretty rare.

Sounds pretty positive so far. I'd be diving for crustaceans and throwing fresh caught fish on the grill!

My wife and I would love it there. Sounds like a pretty tough logistical project though. Share some pictures if you can!

Where are the pictures???

Coming soon. :)

Sounds like an Awesome opportunity. Glad to hear you have arrived and have enjoyed the first few days!

Yeah, it's been pretty good so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Been busy lately....tonight marks two weeks....feels longer!

Overall pretty nice so far. A year will be easy....two, we'll have to wait and see. :icon_mrgreen:

Some pics.....would have gotten this earlier but I sincerely believe we are slower than dial up speed over here. :crybaby2:

post-1098-1391080031_thumb.jpg

post-1098-1391080418_thumb.jpg

post-1098-1391080746_thumb.jpg

post-1098-1391081199_thumb.jpg

post-1098-1391084630_thumb.jpg

post-1098-1391085024_thumb.jpg

post-1098-1391085441_thumb.jpg

post-1098-1391085822_thumb.jpg

Looks like culture shock probably won't be a factor for you due to the lack down-your-throat cultural immersion (ala horn of Africa, Kunsan, Manama, etc.), and what culture is there is perfectly palatable. I think SD will be a walk in the park and a breath of fresh air. Your life will thank you for it! :)

• 2 years later...

Doing the ex-pat thing again, this time I'm going to Camp Arifjan, Kuwait.....leaving on Friday morning.

Same type of gig as last time, fire protection engineering design/inspection work for bases in the Middle East....Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, UAE, probably some Iraq. No Afghanistan. Will travel all military transport to/from these places.

I'll fly commercial into Dubai, then connect to Kuwait City with a shuttle direct to base....and then the fun begins.

I'm excited and a little nervous at the same time, just what you'd expect, haha.

Curious what LPers think of those countries and some of our service members who have been stationed out there think?

Like last time, will be back in a year with a little vacation at the halfway point.

This is going to be more hardcore but I like it. :)