Jay Leno's final show...

Steve K

Anyone else sad to see him go ? I grew up with the Tonight Show. Although IMO Conan is the funniest late night host , Jay was great. His passion for cars and his collection is just out of this world.

Jays been doing the tonight show for 22 years, and also does a stand up gig after every show every night throughout the country. what an interesting character. during his farewell speech he mentioned that he lost his mom on the first year of the tonight show, his dad the following year, and i think his brother or sister the year after that. i guess thats how he dealt with it, just keeping himself occupied all the time. never stopping.

anyway, i'm gonna miss him and what he brought, but thank God Conan is still with us !

did you pay attention to his body language when as he started saying how it felt right to leave and he couldnt be happier for him. arms crossed and got all stiff. poor guy.

Well, at least he has one of the greatest collection of cars I've ever seen to fall back on and enjoy the rest of his life.

Ok this is how I reacted to this thread:

looked to the left of the screen and I see "Jay Leno's final show..." my brain went ohh no, this is not good, if I look to the right of the screen and see RomanDad as the topic starter

Jay Leno is DEAD!!

I watched it. Sad to see him go. I dont think he is naturally funny, but he has a decent delivery, hes likable and I enjoyed watching his show almost every night. I like Jimmy Fallons show too, but I dont think Jimmy is in the league of Carson and Leno. Maybe im just old school and times have changed.

Also odd that Kevin Eubanks was not there. You would think he would have been. I know Jay said he was on tour in Europe, but you would think he could have scheduled around this last show. I think theres bad blood there or something. Kevin obviously did not try real hard to be there and Jay has $800 gazillion dollars could afford to get him jet if he wanted him there.

I'm most upset that Jimmy Fallon was the best they could do to replace him.

:iamwithstupid: I've never thought Jimmy was funny in anything he's done.. and in no way does he compare to Leno, Letterman, Carson, etc. They could have found someone better IMO.

Ok this is how I reacted to this thread:

looked to the left of the screen and I see "Jay Leno's final show..." my brain went ohh no, this is not good, if I look to the right of the screen and see RomanDad as the topic starter

Jay Leno is DEAD!!

I thought the same thing! While the page was loading, I flipped over the the CNN homepage that was already loading and expected to see it on the headlines lol.

Sad to see Leno go. Leno and Conan are the only two I ever watched and liked both of the equally.

I'm sad to see him leave but I think he has been ready to move on. His work on Jay Leno's Garage has been fantastic and I know he wanted to focus on his passion for cars even more than he already had been. Now he's free to attend more car shows, etc. I know he's going to the UK to visit McLaren again this summer. He always had to schedule his car life around shooting the show.

I'd been watching the Tonight Show since I was a kid and Carson was hosting. People seem to love to hate on Jay for some odd reason, but everyone who knows him will explain to no end how he's nicer than the most genuinely nice guy you'll ever meet, super-generous, etc. The whole Conan debacle somehow got twisted in the public's eye into him "worming his way back" into the Tonight Show, but Conan was failing miserably in that time slot, and NBC decided to pull him out. (I personally think Conan seems like a nice enough guy, but never cracked so much as a smirk at him.) I don't find him hilarious on the Tonight Show, but he sort of does the job fine, if that makes any sense.

Letterman can be funny at times, though he seems like he's probably pure asshole in real life. He gets a little tiresome to me. Jay definitely watered down his humor in hosting the Tonight Show, as every comedian who knew him prior said he was one of THE best, edgiest, real-deal comedians in the world before the Tonight Show gig. Maybe he'll return to that now.

Fallon . . . he seems absolutely nice as pie, and he does great things with musical guests, but I don't find him remotely funny. Just pleasant.

Craig Ferguson . . . THAT is the funniest, most underused guy in late night. Almost criminally so. They ought to elbow Letterman aside and give Craig that slot. :-)

I only met Jay once and spent about an hour talking cars and bikes, great guy. I could tell right-off that he was naturally funny and could really light up a room. I suspect that people tend to forget what the transition from Carson to Leno was like -- the doubts in someone new -- but it turned out to be another historic run. Great job, Jay. I'm not really a Fallon fan, but he has as good a shot as any to do the same thing.

I'm most upset that Jimmy Fallon was the best they could do to replace him.

I saw him live here in Indy when they did the Superbowl show and it was alright. Honestly it's gotta be the hardest job out there - new material every night. BUT.... He has writers (I don't) and I always joke with my girlfriend (who loves his show) that I have fresh material everyday (in my quips) with NO writers and he has a whole team and still just isn't that funny.

It's all about delivery.

Sad to see Leno go but then again I never really watched his show, not much of a TV guy. But he seems like a cool dude and is a true car fanatic.

btw, Seth Meyers is taking over for jimmy fallon in the late show... now theres someone who's not funny.... at all..

it was odd that kevin eubanks wasn't there... i'll always remember that fake laugh of his after EVERY joke....

I remember seeing him at a few car shows, very nice guy, I'm surprised NBC decided to axe him, but he goes out as #1. I am not a big fan of Fallon, he does not have the right kind of personality for the job.

btw, Seth Meyers is taking over for jimmy fallon in the late show... now theres someone who's not funny.... at all..

The only thing funny about Seth Meyers is that he thinks he is funny, other than that he just comes off as a snarky elitist asshole.

I think j kimmel is the best host at the moment...

I agree, I like Jimmy..ive met Jay a couple of times at car shows.nice guy, .and have seen his stand up act, he is a pretty good stand up comedian...

Carson FTW.

We lived in California for a couple years in the mid 70's. Was driving down some freeway and my mom looks over at me (I was 7 years old) and I'm making funny faces at a Rolls Royce next to us. Driver was making faces back. It was Carson.

Strange that NBC seems so determined to remove one of the only number 1's they have. Always liked Jay. Not many get to go out on top twice.

Craig Ferguson is the funniest man in late night! The day he takes over for Letterman is going to be awesome.

Strange that NBC seems so determined to remove one of the only number 1's they have. Always liked Jay. Not many get to go out on top twice.

Craig Ferguson is the funniest man in late night! The day he takes over for Letterman is going to be awesome.

No way Ferguson gets Letterman's spot.