LP640 or Ferrari F12?

Tupps11

Just what the title says. I have been shopping around for a used 2013 F12. Price new is around $532k (Taxes included). Found a couple going for around $450k. A buddy of mine has a pearl white 2008 LP640 which has less than 4,000 kilometers on the dial. Interior is loaded with carbon and diamond stitching, lifting system, etc...

He is asking $200k (Taxes Included). Im thinking of offering somewhere around $180k for the car. Would you guys go for the old LP640, or go for the newer tech in the F12? I know the F12 will depreciate further, resulting in a loss, while the Lambo isn't gonna get much lower than what im offering. That factor aside...the F12 is much newer/better tech and drives better, while the LP640 still looks hotter.

Any advice?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

F12 is the better car, has an amazing engine, and definitely the better high tech; also , it drives better.

However, I would get the LP640. Easy choice for me. Mid-engined V12 Lamborghini; wins it for me. No contest. Its a proper super car, is intimidating, looks insane, and sounds insane. The F12, no matter how amazing it is, is not a super car in my book (mid-engined is a criteria for me), and yes like all front engined V12 Ferraris it will depreciated like crazy.

I must agree. The F12 is an amazing tech car, fit and finish are amazing and it's super comfortable......BUT....... The Lamborghini's still have the magic. Honestly at 500K for an F car I would be looking at a 599GTO, otherwise it's an Aventador, then a Murci.... The F12 just looks too boring on the road.

I'd wait for an F12 to come down.

Chris Harris: "I wouldn't even look at an Aventador."

Another option is to find a 599 GTO or even just a 599. The 640 would be fun to tool around in while you ride out some minor depreciation rather than a coastal wave in the F12.

I'd wait for an F12 to come down.

Chris Harris: "I wouldn't even look at an Aventador."

Yeah because he needs to go sideways every time he goes to pick up his groceries and he definitely can't do that in an Aventador.

If you put a F12 next to the Aventador you'd only go for the F12 if you were legally blind and your Labrador would guide you towards it.

Yeah because he needs to go sideways every time he goes to pick up his groceries and he definitely can't do that in an Aventador.

If you put a F12 next to the Aventador you'd only go for the F12 if you were legally blind and your Labrador would guide you towards it.

This is the first time I've ever disagreed with you! I'd take the F12 all day but I agree, the Aventador looks better.

This is the first time I've ever disagreed with you! I'd take the F12 all day but I agree, the Aventador looks better.

No problems, life is wonderful because we all have different views, likes, etc.

I would take the FF over the F12, they both look like ass but the FF is more versatile.

That video of the F12 in action was sick. Chris Harris sure can drive. He said he wouldn't even look at an Aventador. I prefer the looks of a LP640 roadster but the performance of the F12 is no joke.

I like the way the F12 looks, but the Corvette ZO7 looks better. The F12 weighs 1000 lbs more than advertised (source: Motortrend) and the weight is not balanced. The car is fast but it struggles to put the power down and it is tail happy (which is why Chris Harris liked it so much). I would recommend getting an Aventador. If not an Aventador, I would order a Huracan.

If not a Huracan, get the 640 or a 458 Speciale (I like that car a lot).

Best of luck!

Aventador if you are looking in that price range. If not, 640 and then get into a Huracan when they start arriving. Good luck... Keep us posted!

You need to define your purpose clearly first. What are you going to do with the car? Will it be used to traverse continents, for mile runs, for boulevard cruising, for track days, for fair weather cruising, etc. Once you honestly answer the question, your answer will be much more clear.

The F12 and LP640 have very different personalities, purposes, strengths, and weaknesses. Not to mention the plethora of other options available in this price range.

No one can give you an honest, unbiased recommendation until you define your purpose and priorities.

Have you actually driven an F12?

you make a good point. I found the F12 puts it down extremely well, mainly thanks to the very impressive electronics. I drove it on damp roads, and with it is the 'medium' mode (I never remember all those settings names on the steering wheel setting machettino,), i.e.: with the electronics half working; and it was extremely easy to drive, way too easy. I was glad to get back in my 800hp zr1 afterwards, much more an event and more drama.

You need to define your purpose clearly first. What are you going to do with the car? Will it be used to traverse continents, for mile runs, for boulevard cruising, for track days, for fair weather cruising, etc. Once you honestly answer the question, your answer will be much more clear.

The F12 and LP640 have very different personalities, purposes, strengths, and weaknesses. Not to mention the plethora of other options available in this price range.

No one can give you an honest, unbiased recommendation until you define your purpose and priorities.

Thanks for the inputs guys. Ill be a little more specific. I had my Nera, LP560-4, and a Scuderia...all of which i literally drove once or twice a week max. If once, it was Sunday morning with the boys (Lambo/Ferrari cruise). The second outing would have been taking my girlfriend out Saturday night to dinner or dancing, etc. I paid full price (meaning with Lebanese customs which is roughly 60% of the cars value) for all three cars. After years of owning supercars i realized im paying so much money for a car i use 4 times a month and end up losing half its value in depreciation. Its not about the money as much as its simply a waste of it.

New outlook...ill just buy a used supercar as its already depreciated. Granted, every supercar i ever owned was a special order, but im willing to make a compromise on some options to get a car im not gonna lose so much money on. Aventador is $650k here new. Unfortunately, cant find any used ones yet at a decent price, so that option is out. Huracan is $450k new and wont be here till December at least, so thats also out.

The F12 is selling for around $100k less used ($450k) with only 2500 kilometers on the dial which is practically brand new. But will depreciate further. The LP640 is a 2008. It has less than 4000 kilometers on the dial. Is FULLY loaded, and is going for $200k before negotiation TAXES INCLUDED!!! The freakin car used to cost $550 here when new, and if you look at it now, its still practically new.

The drivability is definitely nothing like the F12, but the question im asking myself is...should i care about drivability on a car ill use 3-4 times a month? Parked next to a 458 or an F12, they are invisible. The Lambo gets the looks every time. The sound cant be compared as the Lambo takes that one home too. In the end, a weekend car should be special and insane right? It should be an event just taking it out. Just kinda scared a 2008 will start costing me an arm and a leg in maintenance, no matter how god its condition is. Are the LP640's reliable?

Thanks again for all the advice. Gonna try and pass by my buddy today to take some pics to share with you guys. Would love to hear more of your thoughts...

definitely sounds like LP640 is a no brainer. You seem to love the Lambo-ness, and plus the depreciation is on your side. Win win.

reliability, they seem very reliable from others and my experience. Just get the services done properly and on time, and if anything pops up, get it sorted asap instead of waiting. Should avoid any big issues. Get the deal done!

I recently considered an F12 Vs a few other exotics and if it were my only one to use on a daily basis i'd say there's nothing better.

For something more special though i'd be with the Lambo.

Per your 2nd post...LP640!

:iamwithstupid: Tupps, if you re-read your own 2 posts of this thread and then draw a candid conclusion from the points made, it seems like you had already answered your own question.