Lasik

HannibalACP82

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually getting exited about this... I kinda can't wait...

You're going to be SO happy you did it buddy!!! Amazing experience waking up the next day and being able to SEE! :icon_thumleft:

• 1 month later...

Done. Procedure sucked a bit... Mostly because of the 300 eye drops they have to put in each eye... It's a bit exhausting... But it was over fast enough... Spent all night with my eyes closed... Very little discomfort... None this morning. My far vision is pretty sharp... My near vision kinda comes in and out... A bit "foggy" at times. Definitely some star bursting around lights in dark.... I suspect all of that will improve with time... All in all not too bad.

Oh yeah... Absolutely worst part... Riding home with eyes closed... Got car sick...

Oh yeah... Absolutely worst part... Riding home with eyes closed... Got car sick...

If Caesar would have rolled the windows down you would have been fine.

Glad it went well. It sounds like you're having the same after effects my wife had. She had it done 15 years ago and never regretted it. You can't be doing too bad, you managed to post a couple of times here. :icon_thumleft:

Best for a speedy recovery.

If Caesar would have rolled the windows down you would have been fine.

Glad it went well. It sounds like you're having the same after effects my wife had. She had it done 15 years ago and never regretted it. You can't be doing too bad, you managed to post a couple of times here. :icon_thumleft:

Best for a speedy recovery.

Don't anger Roman, he can do this now.

tumblr_mj54epB50x1s48roio1_400.gif

That is what Laser eye surgery is right?

Done. Procedure sucked a bit... Mostly because of the 300 eye drops they have to put in each eye... It's a bit exhausting... But it was over fast enough... Spent all night with my eyes closed... Very little discomfort... None this morning. My far vision is pretty sharp... My near vision kinda comes in and out... A bit "foggy" at times. Definitely some star bursting around lights in dark.... I suspect all of that will improve with time... All in all not too bad.

yeah near vision will not be as good as before. Far vision will be awesome 20/15 i bet. One thing you will notice if you are staring at shit close for a good amount of time and then looking up it will be a little blurry , don't freak out. Eyes take longer to adjust.

For the first few days one eye might seem "crisper" than the other but it'll adjust. At first I thought "fcuk, they gotta re-do the right eye!" but it was just off a bit while it heals/scars.

Don't anger Roman, he can do this now.

tumblr_mj54epB50x1s48roio1_400.gif

That is what Laser eye surgery is right?

That's a lot of power for a moderator. :ph34r:

It will get better by the day for the first couple weeks. And the "starbursts" for me went away within the first year.

Happy for you buddy. :) Will be some of the best money you have ever spent.

All this LASIK talk has me checking again. A buddy told me the clinic he had his done, the doctor has done over 100k procedures. On average his price is very reasonable. I'm going to line up a ride and go get this taken care of. Ive been saying next year enough.

yeah near vision will not be as good as before. Far vision will be awesome 20/15 i bet. One thing you will notice if you are staring at shit close for a good amount of time and then looking up it will be a little blurry , don't freak out. Eyes take longer to adjust.

Had my after care appointment.... I'm 20/20 overall... But the eyes are definitely doing what you describe. I need a +1 reading glass so I'm going to but the three pack at Walmart and just put them all over the house...

Doc (not affiliated with the lasik surgeon) said a lot of things everybody here has... The "foginess"gets better as the flaps heal... And the muscles that control near vision focus have basically done nothing for the last 38 years.... So they need time to learn how to work again...

He also said the surgeon "nailed it." Very impressed with the flap replacement...

Had a nice nap this afternoon... Needed it...

For the first few days one eye might seem "crisper" than the other but it'll adjust. At first I thought "fcuk, they gotta re-do the right eye!" but it was just off a bit while it heals/scars.

Having this too... And it comes and goes... When it's good, it's very very good...

Give it few months and all the small annoying bits will go away or your eyes will adapt, you will be very satisfied with your decision.

I went to the doctor few days ago for different reasons, he had an eye chart behind him, further than recommended distance, I could still very clearly read the bottom line including the small print with the eye chart manufacturer, truly incredible considering what I could see before and that I had the surgery almost 10 years ago.

Managed to poke myself in the fcuking eye with the point of the ear piece of the safety glasses they gave me. Had to do an emergency trip into the doc. Luckily, everything is still where it's supposed to be.

Managed to poke myself in the fcuking eye with the point of the ear piece of the safety glasses they gave me. Had to do an emergency trip into the doc. Luckily, everything is still where it's supposed to be.

My son kicked a soccer ball right in my eye 3 days after the surgery i was like WTF.. Thank goodness nothing happened I was pissed. he was only 3 at time IIRC

One week post op. Very happy with the results. Vision, especially near vision, still fluctuates but seems to be getting better each day... No discomfort. No dry eyes. Starbursts on light are much less than they were day 1.

Best of all, today is the last day I have to use medicated eye drops... Which are a major PITA.

My near vision is great, but my distance vision is terrible. Would LASIK help this or is that something that deals more with the eye muscles' ability to change the shape of the eye and not something that LASIK would really address?

My near vision is great, but my distance vision is terrible. Would LASIK help this or is that something that deals more with the eye muscles' ability to change the shape of the eye and not something that LASIK would really address?

thats what I had and LASIK worked for me. I could read books, but looking at a monitor or a tv was blurry. when you go for a consult they check it out and see if your a candidate for it.

It will work for you. Go for it.

I'm going to be scheduling mine soon. I cant wait!

OK... So here's my full write up:

There is some pre-op stuff I mentioned earlier in the thread. Vitamins and wetting drops... And lid scrubbing... No biggie. Hardest part is remembering to do it all.

Day of: Get there, and they measure your vision again. Look at the ballon thing.

Then they take your glasses and your cell phone, gave me a shower cap, a xanex, and two drops in each eye. They put a patch over one eye, and some tape near your ears to keep shit from dripping into them.

There is a poster in this room... I cant read anything it says.

Then you sit with your eyes closed for about twenty minutes.

Then they come and get you...

You lay down on the worst, most uncomfortable bed in the world. Its like a dentist chair but horizontal.. and narrower.... Its not wide enough for your elbows to fit on it... And feels slightly declined.

Im now getting a bit dizzy. They swing you around so youre under the lazer which has a ring of white led lights that are too bright... Doc comes in and they put at least three more sets of drops in the first eye...

Then they put some sort of suction cup on your eye... And pump it up. there is a slight bit of pain/pressure. This was actually ok with me because I could no longer really see shit, and that bright fcuking light in your eye sucks balls. Then a nurse counts down from 10. I think they put another drop in that eye.

They move the patch to that eye and do this all again on the other eye... The eye drops now really suck and they keep telling you to open both eyes which goes against instincts....

At the end of the 10 count she says "all done" and Im like "what? thats it? Its over? I can go home? AWESOME!" And she says, "no... just the flaps, we still have to do the correction." Im like, "fcuk..."

This part takes like 5 minutes.

so then you wait, eyes closed in another room for like ten minutes.

They take you in another room, this one has a much bugger bed, that may in fact be less comfortable than the last... It has a "donut" for the back of your head but it feels flatter. They put a pillow under your knees though. I guess this is for comfort...

OK... Then they keep telling you to open your eyes and hold still. Mo matter how still you hold, its not enough... In fact, breathing seems to be discouraged. No matter how far you open your eyes, its not enough. I think they held them open for me with something... Then he takes a little stick... No... wait... first there was more drops... Like two more... Then he takes a little stick and flops the flap back... And you go stevie wonder blind... Then they tell you to stare at the green light that you cant really see any more. Then you smell smoke. I shit you not. It smells like burning hair. Then they put more drops in your eye... This is where I about lost it.... I literally started involuntarily kicking my feet in recoil from these fcuking eyedrops. You just want to blink but you cant... Well, they flip the fcuk out, and tell me to hold still... I think somebody grabbed me.... I get a grip, he takes his stick thing and folds the flap back... Then Im pretty sure he gave me like three more sets of eye drops....

Then they do the next eye.

This part took probably around ten minutes...

At this point Im thirsty, dizzy, and feeling nauseous. They stand you up and say "look at the clock" and I can actually see it. I have no interest in telling them what time it is because Im very disoriented, and Im sure theyll take the opportunity to pour more drops in.

They take you to the room you started in where, you guessed it, you get more fcuking eyedrops. But that poster that was just a blur before, I could totally read it... Everything was a bit hazy like Liz Taylor in the White Diamonds commercials, but I could see.

Then you drive home with your eyes closed. In rush hour traffic. I nearly barfed.

You have to keep your eyes closed for six hours... Except every two hours you can open them.... For more eye drops. The first set of which REAAAAAALLY sucks... Find a really dark room and a friend who owns NVGs to put them in, because light sucks at this point.

Then you go to bed.

Next day: you get up and can see... Now you put 3 eye drops in every four hours or so. This sucks because you can "taste" the eyedrops in the back of your throat... And they taste like rat poison.

Go to eye dr that day... Im still pretty nausous and get motion sick easy, but the appointment is quick and painless.

First week: My vision has fluctuated quite a bit. Much more than I anticipated. Sometimes my far vision is very comparable to what it was with glasses. Sometimes, its much stronger. The stronger it is the worse my near vision is. I bought a +1.0 reading glasses, but they are too strong... But they are also the lowest power sold in stores. I bought a +.75 online and it is plenty strong... Because as the week goes on my near vision has gotten better. I may still need something to read super fine print, or to work on small detail projects that require sharp vision, but I wont need glasses 90+% of the time.

One week post op: Back to eye doc. This time they dialate your eyes. This fcuking sucks. I couldnt see shit til the next day. Plus a bad headache... fcuk that. I asked a doctor buddy at my boys school to put my drops in for me that day... This was a mistake. He is a former Ranger and Green Beret, and current medic on a local SWAT team. Well, he grabbed my eye lids and plopped them open in a much more "meatball field trauma surgeon" way than I was comfortable with... I was worried he had dislodged the flaps, and wasnt sure I was ok until the dilation wore off the next morning.... Next time, ask a mom.

Week 1+: Now only have 1 eye drop every four hours, and its just re-wetting drops, which dont suck like the other two. The nausea is gone and motion sickness in car finally went away.

Ill keep updating this as the process plays out.

Went back and read the whole thread just now; what has me concerned is that my near vision will get messed up from such surgery. Seeing things at a distance is a bit of a pain, but my reading vision is fine, and I don't want that messed up just for the luxury of seeing things at a distance better.

Went back and read the whole thread just now; what has me concerned is that my near vision will get messed up from such surgery. Seeing things at a distance is a bit of a pain, but my reading vision is fine, and I don't want that messed up just for the luxury of seeing things at a distance better.

You're young... It will be fine...The muscles that control near vision focus are still strong for you. Mine was crap on day one... Now its almost perfect. My muscles are old, and in the words of my Dr, "Havent been used in 38 years". But theyre learning quickly.

I bought a pair of +1.00 reading glasses from walmart last weekend because my near vision was so fucked... I couldnt read a fcuking menu at Outback Steakhouse (worst meal ever btw) so I needed to do something... Even then I knew they were too strong. So I bought a pair of +.75 online... Now I dont really even need them. My eyes still get tired and go blurry close up, but thats happening less and less each day.

Im currently reading this, on my iphone, with no reading glasses... I couldnt do that last weekend. And each day Im able to see detail at closer and closer distances...