Speaking of guns... Mass stabbing at Pennsylvania high school

Roman

More like, "I'm so getting laid, bro."

Oh no shit, that dude won't be able to walk right for a month.

College will be such a letdown. :lol2:

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update as of 12pm:

One adult and 19 students were stabbed at Franklin Regional High School in Murrysville, Pa.

Suspect is a 16-year-old male sophomore and was taken into custody

Attack started at about 7:15 a.m. ET

Suspect thought to have had two knives

School security officer called 911 and same officer was injured by the attacker

19 students were injured, but not all injuries were puncture wounds

A school administrator is being credited with tackling the suspect, ending the attack

Attack lasted 20-30 minutes

Eight patients (seven students and one adult) are at Forbes Region Hospital in Monroeville, Pa., 3 of which have serious wounds

Five students were taken to UPMC East in Monroeville, Four students were taken to Children's Hospital in Lawrenceville, one at UPMC Mercy and one at UPMC Presbyterian in Oakland

Investigators haven't determined a motive

Latest on the victims:

UPMC spokeswoman Gloria Kreps said 12 patients are being treated at UPMC facilities: five at UPMC East in Monroeville, five at Children's Hospital in Lawrenceville, one at UPMC Mercy, Uptown, and one at UPMC Presbyterian in Oakland.

A girl, 15, is in fair condition at Allegheny General Hospital, spokesman Dan Laurent said.

He described the girl as conscious and alert, and said doctors are evaluating her for admittance into the hospital. She was flown from the scene, he said.

Eight patients were taken to Forbes Regional Hospital, spokesman Jesse Miller said. Seven are students ages 15-17 and one is an adult. Their wounds were described as serious to critical, and several are in surgery.

At Presby, a 17-year-old male is in critical condition with chest and abdominal injuries.

At UPMC East, three 15-year-old male patients and a 16-year-old female were discharged. One 17-year-old female is in fair condition with facial wounds.

A 14-year-old male is in critical condition at Children's Hospital. Two males, age 16 and 17, are in serious condition; a 17-year-old male is in fair condition and a 17-year-old female is in fair condition.

Possible motive:

Investigators haven’t determined a motive, but Seefeld said they’re looking into reports of a threatening phone call between the suspect and another student the night before. Seefeld didn’t specify whether the suspect reportedly received or made the call.

There is mention of a school resource officer and a security guard. The school resource officer is an Murrysville Police Officer (unsure if on-duty or off-duty). The SRO called in the incident. The Security Guard was stabbed. I am unsure if there are 2 separate positions or if the news is using them interchangeably. I feel like they are two separate positions based on some of the other reports and wording.

This clears it up a bit:

Mark Drear, vice president of the security company for the school, said one of his officers was stabbed. The school had three security officers and a full-time police officer Wednesday morning, he said.

"I saw a pool of blood in front to my right, with a coffee mug there, and I was with my friend," said Michael Float, a senior. "We walked to the left -- there was blood right where the double doors are all over the wall. I saw (my friend) towards the front of the school where the office is, with his shirt up, looking into the offices, screaming, 'Help, help.' (He had) a stab wound on his stomach, bleeding down."

Was that the attack on you in the city?

Different incident.

A doctor who treated six of the victims said most of them didn't immediately realize what happened.

"They just felt pain and noticed they were bleeding," Dr. Timothy VanFleet, chief of emergency medicine at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, told CNN's Ashleigh Banfield.

CEO of Forbes Hospital tells KDKA’s Heather Abraham that one-student applied pressure to an injured classmate, possibly saving student’s life.

Three others are in surgery.

That male teen helped by a fellow student was one of three teens taken into surgery at Forbes.

Governor Tom Corbett issued a statement that reads:

“I was shocked and saddened upon learning of the events that occurred this morning as students arrived at Franklin Regional High School. As a parent and grandparent, I can think of nothing more distressing than senseless violence against children. My heart and prayers go out to all the victims and their families.”

“I have directed the Pennsylvania State Police to assist local law enforcement in its investigation in any way possible. Other state resources will be made available to the community, if needed. I assure the citizens of Murrysville that they have the full support of my administration.”

Now I like Gov. Corbett. I think when he first addressed this matter he did so in a classy way. However I do not understand his need to come to the scene. He can't help and all he can do is get in the way. It's not like he needs to be there to immedietaly make a decision or free up a resource. Waste of tax dollars.

Gov. Tom Corbett is on his way to the high school, according to his advance security team.

Incident was called in @7:13 and cops responded around 7:15.

When police arrived at the high school around 7:15, they found multiple victims on the grass and a male security guard with a stomach wound inside, Murrysville Police Chief Tom Seefeld said.

UPMC Presby says a 17-year-old victim is on life support, and in critical condition. Doctors say it appears a large knife was used in the stabbings, causing damage, but missing the teen’s heart.

Shit.

By the wound description I just heard a doctor give in a news conference - "2 inches across, depth almost to the spine" - I think we're looking at the big kitchen carving knives we're all familiar with seeing used in horror films and even in our own kitchens. Damn.

Up to 20 now. This is my local HS. My babysitter and her sister are ok but her best friend and BF were stabbed.

Awful to hear! It must be quite a wake up call, we all live our lives thinking it won't happen to us, but events such as these are different when they hit close to home.

Three victims are in “extremely critical condition,” said Dan Stevens, Westmoreland County public safety spokesman.

Dr. Louis Alarcon, medical director of trauma surgery at UPMC Presbyterian, said a 17-year-old victim there was in critical condition and on life support. The stab wound to his abdomen is nearly 2 inches wide and deep enough to almost reach his spine.

“It was within millimeters of his heart and aorta,” Alarcon said. There was trauma to the victim's liver, diaphragm and major blood vessels. He was speaking but very unstable, he said.

“He is in critical condition, but we are hopeful,” Alarcon said. “We are very optimistic he's going to make it through this.”

The victim underwent nearly two hours of surgery to stop his bleeding and likely will need more, Alarcon said.

Joanne Witkowski said her 14-year-old nephew, Brandon Brown, was recovering from surgery for a stab wound to the abdomen. She said the knife missed the boy's liver and colon, but punctured a lung.

"His message is that he wants justice to be served. His heart and all of our hearts go out to all of the victims in this tragedy," Witkowski said. "He did not know the suspect. He was just standing there in the hallway, and he said he felt like he got punched in the stomach, and then he looked down and his shirt was ripped and he saw blood and then a friend helped him."

Senior Ian Griffith was walking down a stairway and heard King yelling and saw him trying to force the suspect out of the building. He saw the suspect stab the security guard.

“I was looking for a garbage can to hit him with. At first I didn't know he had a knife,” Griffith said. “But once Mr. King got him to the ground I jumped on top of him and held his arms, where he held two knives.

He didn't know the student.

“I'm not a hero. Mr. King's a hero. He tackled him and was on top of him. I just held him down,” Griffith said. “I just acted on instinct.”

King told Griffith to get more staff members and call 911. When he returned, he said, other teachers and maintenance workers were helping to hold down the suspect.

Police haven't determined a motive yet. They are investigating a Delmont woman's report that her son received a phone call Tuesday evening, possibly from the suspect, with a threat about something that would happen to her son Wednesday.

Student Mia Meixner was standing at her locker.

"I heard a big commotion like behind my back," she told CNN's Wolf Blitzer. "And I turned around and I saw two kids on the ground."

She thought a fight had broken out, but then she saw blood.

"I saw the kid who was stabbing people get up and run away," she said.

Meixner said she saw three students help a bleeding freshman, saying they were taking him to a nurse. Then she saw a senior girl she knew.

"She was standing by the cafeteria doors. ... She was gushing blood down her arm."

Meixner dropped her books and went to help the girl.

"I started hearing a stampede of students coming down from the other end of the hall, saying 'Get out, we need to leave, go, there's a kid with a knife.' Then a teacher came over to me and the girl I was trying to help. And she said she would handle the girl and that I should run out. So then I just ran out of the school and tried to get out as soon as possible."

Blitzer asked if the stabbing suspect said anything.

"No. He was very quiet. He just was kind of doing it," Meixner answered. "And he had this, like, look on his face that he was just crazy and he was just running around just stabbing whoever was in his way."

She said she didn't know the boy, but he had been in a lot of her classes. "He kept to himself a lot," she said. "He didn't have that many friends that I know of, but I also don't know of him getting bullied that much. I actually never heard of him getting bullied. He just was kind of shy and didn't talk to many people."

The main doctor at Forbes is from Murrysville:

"It was very shocking," said Fisher, who has lived in Murrysville 19 years. "We are a tight-knit community. Everybody knows everybody. Even the doctor attending at the closest hospital is a neighbor of ours. Dr. Rubino, he knows these children. Watching him, it touches home."

As she spoke on the phone, she said, Mark Rubino, chief medical officer at Forbes Regional Hospital in nearby Monroeville, was on live on the television news, talking about the victims and stressing "the critical nature of their injuries."

Didn't take twitter/reddit/and the rest of the internet long to get a hold on the call recordings and get his name out there. Geez.

Investigators haven’t determined a motive, but Seefeld said they’re looking into reports of a threatening phone call between the suspect and another student the night before. Seefeld didn’t specify whether the suspect reportedly received or made the call.

I have a 17 year old daughter in High School and these incidents are just harder and harder to grasp. I pray that these victims can recover quickly and that they can get back to the things they love do to. This is just so sad and horrible.