The Architecture thread

capt_chaos

You didn't just compare Australia's population density with that of Japan LOL.

For whatever reason Australia is the third least affordable place to buy a home, Japan's realestate is very reasonable in comparison, I am looking at acquiring something there so I am quite familiar with it.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/grogon...xpensive-houses

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You didn't just compare Australia's population density with that of Japan LOL.

No no, I just meant that many places in the world have a higher population density than the U.S. which contributes to making land less affordable. But yes, no way Australia, with a population of 23 million, could have the density of little Japan, with 127 million.

Before I read the article I was thinking can only be done out of acrylic, nevertheless you wouldn't catch me dead in that thing :icon_mrgreen:

Not my style but damn you get a lot for your money, just out of curiosity, if you were to build that exact house now in the same location would you be able to do it for the same money?

If you were to build it tonight assuming the land is already bought. I dont think you could build it for that. I bet you would still be under 3 though for it.

I will pass.

Wow, four thoughts:

1) Talk about the ultimate 1% vs 99% differential. The 99% look up and see the 1% swimming in the heavens, like gods

2) That thing could look awesome if the water is lit up at night

3) Would be super awesome to swim in that thing with goggles and see the ground below

4) Would suck if an earthquake hits and tore it open while you were in it

Speaking of water, I figured I'd post some luxury bathing concepts I really like. I love both traditional and contemporary when it comes to bathing design:

ultramodern-modern-rain-shower-design-a.jpg

GROHE_SPA_F-digital_Deluxe_8_featopted-660x350.jpg

modern-bathroom-shower-enclosures-1.jpg

High-Quality-Ceiling-Rain-Shower-Luxury-Rectangular-Bath-Faucet.jpg

f02fe358ca0d5f6133166a2d78d5195e.jpg

41BGfprhBCL._AC_UL320_SR246,320_.jpg

Luxury-bath-design.jpg

Luxury-Bathroom-9.jpg

monte-carlo3.jpg

luxury-horizontal-shower-model-by-donbracht.jpg

I dont know if i could swim in that thing.

Before I read the article I was thinking can only be done out of acrylic, nevertheless you wouldn't catch me dead in that thing :icon_mrgreen:

I am going to go skinny dipping in it

Speaking of water, I figured I'd post some luxury bathing concepts I really like. I love both traditional and contemporary when it comes to bathing design:

monte-carlo3.jpg

1_Billy_Madison_quotes.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Meant to post this earlier, great mix of modern and homely.

Cool joint. That single pole (that 'ruins' the view when the pocket windows are opened) saved them 10's of thousands in construction costs. I was designing a similar feature before, and having no support pole like that caused an exponential rise in costs. Kinda like Fortis' kitchen island, it's very difficult/expensive to cantilever that far!

Pretty cool. Design could be better and I'd prefer to have left more of the natural terrain under/around the house, rather than blading it. I'm surprised this got approved by the CA. Coastal Commission.

The house is in Chile. No way could you build this in Cali.

Cool joint. That single pole (that 'ruins' the view when the pocket windows are opened) saved them 10's of thousands in construction costs. I was designing a similar feature before, and having no support pole like that caused an exponential rise in costs. Kinda like Fortis' kitchen island, it's very difficult/expensive to cantilever that far!

I venture to say tens of thousands is being very polite. Considering how tight the tolerances of those doors are, L720 isn't going to cut it. The beams require to cantilever living space ~25ft, the anchoring/counterbalance needed on the opposite side of those beams, and the structural columns along the way... damn. You would have tens of thousands just in rebar and concrete underground trying to hold the thing in place.

All things considered, $1500 in 6" schedule 80 pipe running through your view isn't all that bad. :lol2: