Battery Tenders to maintain battery charge

Lambo_Manju

Hi,

Just want to express how happy I am, having found Battery Tender to keep my Murcielago Battery charged all the time.

Neither the sales person who sold me the car nor the Service Manager of Chicago Lamborghini mentioned about Battery Tenders.

I had to haul the car all the way from suburbs to Chicago city to get a new battery and bring it back as I didn't know what was wrong with my car. The battery was dead after couple of months of storage.

Later I bought jump start charger and started jump starting the car. I also started turning off the main battery switch after use, and in spite of it my battery would be low and needed jump start after storage of month or more. I even started carrying a jump starter in the trunk not to take chance.

After watching Jay Leno garage and wires running to all cars, I found out that battery tenders can keep the battery in healthy state all the time. I felt so stupid, not knowing this for last 2 years.

I think all of you know about Battery tenders. Just thought of posting my experience. In my opinion, all exotic cars should come with 'Battery tender' as an accessory and the Car manual should mention 'Battery Tender' as an option to keep the battery in a healthy charged status when not in use on a regular basis.

Cheers

Lambo_Manju

90% of the problems I've had with the Murcie has been related to having a weak battery. A tender is literally worth its price in gold.

I keep all of my vehicles on tenders. You can easily grab one of the little $20 chargers for each. Works like a charm. Nothing sucks more than a weak start, or replacing a battery early.

Learned this lesson the hard way, on my seldom driven H1, with dual batteries. What's worse than one battery withering away from disuse? Two batteries withering away! $250 later and now I run a tender all the time.

I've seen trickle chargers that are Lamborghini branded. Same for Ferrari. These are just CTEK chargers that have been rebranded. The rebranded versions cost over twice as much as the CTEK unit.

I've seen trickle chargers that are Lamborghini branded. Same for Ferrari. These are just CTEK chargers that have been rebranded. The rebranded versions cost over twice as much as the CTEK unit.

I've tried several brands, and my most reliable thus far has been one of the little Battery Tender Junior models. Bought it at a Ducati dealership some time ago and have never had an issue. You can even clip on the pigtails to the battery and plug it in with ease instead of having to open the hood all the time. Super reliable and been great to me.

I learned my lesson the hard way when I had the Ferrari. I purchased a Black & Decker tender at Home Depot for $20 and I plug the Murci in every time I get home from taking it out. It also came with the pig tails and an adapter to just plug it in to the Cigarette lighter, which is the one I use... It's so convenient and fast you can't go wrong.

Mini battery tender has been on my gallardo with a race battery for the last 2 years when I don't drive it and its lasted like a champ!

People with Hondas use the same battery and complain it doesn't last long but for me its all because of the tender to keep it in good shape.

All,

Is it better to turn off the battery switch (the switch in Engine bay which cuts the power off from Battery completely), while the battery is connected to tender?

OR

better to leave the battery switch on and let all accessories and car has power while connected to tender?

Please advise.

Lambo_Manju

I do my electronics shut off just like I do the ignition key...both on, both off. If you're on the tender, then it shouldn't matter. Only issue with leaving the electronics on if if there is a problem somewhere in the system that is draining the battery. But still the trickle charger should be enough to offset any losses. Mine charges but also has the "maintenance" state.

Mini battery tender has been on my gallardo with a race battery for the last 2 years when I don't drive it and its lasted like a champ!

People with Hondas use the same battery and complain it doesn't last long but for me its all because of the tender to keep it in good shape.

I've used "Battery Tender Plus" on all my cars for years. Never a problem. I had an Interstate in my Porsche 930 that lasted 15 years on a Tender... An added bonus is that they seem to prolong battery life. I have pig tails on the G and M. Takes 2 secs to clip on/off... Worth their weight in gold as stated above! :icon_thumleft:

Hi,

Just want to express how happy I am, having found Battery Tender to keep my Murcielago Battery charged all the time.

Neither the sales person who sold me the car nor the Service Manager of Chicago Lamborghini mentioned about Battery Tenders.

I had to haul the car all the way from suburbs to Chicago city to get a new battery and bring it back as I didn't know what was wrong with my car. The battery was dead after couple of months of storage.

Later I bought jump start charger and started jump starting the car. I also started turning off the main battery switch after use, and in spite of it my battery would be low and needed jump start after storage of month or more. I even started carrying a jump starter in the trunk not to take chance.

After watching Jay Leno garage and wires running to all cars, I found out that battery tenders can keep the battery in healthy state all the time. I felt so stupid, not knowing this for last 2 years.

I think all of you know about Battery tenders. Just thought of posting my experience. In my opinion, all exotic cars should come with 'Battery tender' as an accessory and the Car manual should mention 'Battery Tender' as an option to keep the battery in a healthy charged status when not in use on a regular basis.

Cheers

Lambo_Manju

Simple solution NEVER let a nice car like that sit for so long!

But then I see you don't live in a weather friendly area..

I've tried several brands, and my most reliable thus far has been one of the little Battery Tender Junior models. Bought it at a Ducati dealership some time ago and have never had an issue. You can even clip on the pigtails to the battery and plug it in with ease instead of having to open the hood all the time. Super reliable and been great to me.

Ive had this unit on multiple different motorcycles. Any toy car, motorcycle, truck, anything that doesnt get driven every day this is what I will have. Thought about putting one on my Daily Driver in the summer because I rode my motorcycle and didnt start my DD for a month, then it rained.

def always good to have. I got a branded on for the Aston with the car, but I did see online that the regular CTEK are waaay cheeper and the exact same thing.

The Diablo bleeds 'trons if left to sit, but I'm going on the idea that keeping the battery fully charged with the tender keeps some stress off the alternator. Hopefully, reducing stress on it and extending its life.

Very useful indeed! Surprised you hadn't heard about them before...

Certain exotic cars have plug-ins (usually in passenger footwell) or quick-connects to make trickle charging easy.

What I've been in the habit of doing for years, with cars and bikes alike, is allowing them to charge 7-10 days, then simply unplug the charger entirely from wall. Then the battery slowly de-charges for another 10 days or so, and I plug it back in.

YES - I'm using modern chargers! And yes I know they are supposed to prevent battery acid from over-boiling, etc. Just something I got in the habit of doing.

Not sure if that's good or bad - guys? :)

I also got a CTEK battery charger/tender from my purchase of the Roadster. Not sure if the charger came from the factory or my dealership gave it to me? I'm thinking it came from the factory as part of the car.

The CTEK charger was not installed but it came with three types of connectors:

1) battery negative and positive terminal pig tail

2) negative and positive terminal jumper cable clamps

3) Cigarette lighter plugin cable

I decided to not mess around with my boot removal to access the battery so I just used the cigarette lighter plugin cable connector to the CTEK battery charger. Plug the charger to the outlet and then voila! It's working.

Upon first connection with the charger, my battery was only showing at "Step 3"!(third light bulb). According to the CTEK owner manual "Step 3" means "charging with maximum current until approximately 80% battery capacity"! Surprised that my car battery has less than 80% of battery charge?!