Do any of you guys turn wrenches on your own cars?

IanMan

Hello all! I like to sit around and absorb everything that I can around here, and occasionally ask questions, but I've learned a lot from you guys and was hoping to learn a little more. My question to you all is how many of you gentlemen, (or ladies), actually turn wrenches on your cars? I haven't really seen any threads of anyone changing out their brake pads, clutch, oil, or anything else for that matter.

Now I'm sure a bunch of people's reason will be, "Well it's a high end luxury item, so I want everything documented in case I sell my car," and that is understandable, considering how many of you guys constantly sell or trade your cars in. But those of you with Murcielago's and Gallardos and anything built before, are there any of you who will tear down whole components to repair them or diagnose issues by yourself?

I'm a big fan of doing things myself and it's very therapeutic for me, and I'm sure when I can afford my first Lamborghini, (probably a Diablo or Manual Murcielago), I'll prefer to do the simpler things myself.

I have the software that the dealership uses to diagnose issues and repair items and clear codes, etc., for my M5. It's actually amazing, looking at diagrams between my car and some of the newer lamborghini's how similar certain things are, (specifically things like the hydraulically operated single clutch transmissions).

Does anyone have any instances they'd like to share?

I am proud to say that I have done some work of my own! :) I put catless pipes and a Tubi exhaust on it. And here recently within the last week I installed my SL wing.

A3A17AFA-2397-4AA7-B780-FD2022E972C8_zps

I am proud to say that I have done some work of my own! :) I put catless pipes and a Tubi exhaust on it. And here recently within the last week I installed my SL wing.

A3A17AFA-2397-4AA7-B780-FD2022E972C8_zpsswqgne4j.jpg

Badass! Never seen anyone, besides mechanics, take apart their Lambo's! That's awesome! :D

You must not have looked very deep. There are a TON of members who are neck deep in their own projects on their cars.

Hell, pulling motors, doing clutch's, rebuilding salvage cars, is not that uncommon to see on here from some of our more involved members. The oil changes and regular maintenance stuff has been documented plenty of times before as well.

Most of the people here are just regular guys and gals whom love cars and love to work on them, just with a different budget than some people.

Now since it's an "Italian luxury whatever brand" you'll still get some "I want to be seen and couldn't give two shits about how to work on it," crowd, but even if they don't get their hands dirty and thumb their noses as manual labor, they still somehow made a decent choice on a car :lol2:

Take a look, ask questions and you'll find a good group of people (a few exceptions) but most are willing to help out if you can hang with it.

Awesome! Thanks! I wasn't aware. I'm gonna do some reading!

When people take on difficult tasks like this, and correctly fix issues, can it still hurt the resale value of their car?

You must not have looked very deep. There are a TON of members who are neck deep in their own projects on their cars.

Hell, pulling motors, doing clutch's, rebuilding salvage cars, is not that uncommon to see on here from some of our more involved members. The oil changes and regular maintenance stuff has been documented plenty of times before as well.

Most of the people here are just regular guys and gals whom love cars and love to work on them, just with a different budget than some people.

Now since it's an "Italian luxury whatever brand" you'll still get some "I want to be seen and couldn't give two shits about how to work on it," crowd, but even if they don't get their hands dirty and thumb their noses as manual labor, they still somehow made a decent choice on a car :lol2:

Take a look, ask questions and you'll find a good group of people (a few exceptions) but most are willing to help out if you can hang with it.

Awesome! Thanks! I wasn't aware. I'm gonna do some reading!

When people take on difficult tasks like this, and correctly fix issues, can it still hurt the resale value of their car?

I have done an engine out on the Diablo and it's documented on here as a few others have done also. Resale affect will be dependent....if you can document your work with pictures and show that you know what you're doing, you should be ok. A good shop is always going to be less worry for a prospective buyer. If you do your own work and don't document it, it would definitely impact resale IMO

I work a little on my own cars. Recently I swapped the exhaust out on my Murcielago, changed the plugs, coils and adjusted the throttle bodies.

Not Lambo level but I've started doing more and more work on my own cars. Brakes (rotors and pads), exhaust, spark plugs and 02 sensors. It does give you quite a feeling of accomplishment when you diagnose the issue and fix it on your own.

Plus it gives you an excuse to buy tools while saving money over the dealership!

Not Lambo level but I've started doing more and more work on my own cars. Brakes (rotors and pads), exhaust, spark plugs and 02 sensors. It does give you quite a feeling of accomplishment when you diagnose the issue and fix it on your own.

Plus it gives you an excuse to buy tools while saving money over the dealership!

When I was young, I worked on a professional Ferrari race team. And I asked one of the mechanics, "is if hard to work on a Ferrari?" with a little bit of awe. He said something that stuck with me since, "a nut is a nut and a bolt a bolt whether on a Ferrari or a Chevy, it's only a car." That has stuck with me ever since, and he is a great mechanic." Many a times I've jumped into a project knowing it's only a car (not a Lambo) haha but it can be done.

When I was young, I worked on a professional Ferrari race team. And I asked one of the mechanics, "is if hard to work on a Ferrari?" with a little bit of awe. He said something that stuck with me since, "a nut is a nut and a bolt a bolt whether on a Ferrari or a Chevy, it's only a car." That has stuck with me ever since, and he is a great mechanic." Many a times I've jumped into a project knowing it's only a car (not a Lambo) haha but it can be done.

:icon_thumleft:

Youtube is a great resource as are various enthusiast boards. Plus I have a group of guys at work that have either done the work before and are willing to lend a hand/advice or want to do the work and are willing to come learn on my cars. I also try to pay it forward. Buddy helped me do my first brake job....front rotors/pads on my DD. I needed to do all four corners of the MDX and another buddy wanted to come over and learn so he could do his own brake job. I walked him through what it took, the tools you needed and offered him help...I got a few hours of free labor/moral support out of it.

So true, thats why the nerve of "its a lambo" passed by me and I got after it.

It also gets you facetime calls from DoctaM3 asking for help diagnosing garage heater problems. Then part way through telling him what to do you realize BOTH FREAKING LAMBOS are parked in the garage and you have a minor heart attack hoping you don't blow up your friend/burn his garage down.

;)

I do a bunch on my own work, but anything that is really big, or that I do not have time for goes to Evans Auto or LamboNewport Beach.

I had absolutely no experience working on cars when I bought my first Lotus 5 years ago. I now do oil changes, brake fluid and general maintenance. I have also done 2 exhausts and had the interior out of my current Exige. Likely will wrench some on the Lambo once I get it.

My daughter helped me change the oil a couple years ago when she was 4 and a half.

post-206895-1420396681_thumb.jpg

Exactly. The only thing I tell others' and constantly remind myself "the parts are really expensive."

Yep, did my own Murci e-gear clutch and fixed some other issues earlier this year. Simple car to work on, just lots of it, and expensive parts as other have said.

20140211_162425aaa.png

I found the G way easier then the M. You need the right tools, a lot of time and patience... Plus be very gentle with plugs and clips. Everything takes way longer then a conventional car, and yeah parts are pricey..hard to find if you F something up

Could not afford my Diablo, if I could not do most repairs myself

Do you have any pics of doing work on it, or your car? I love diablos! That was my favorite car after the Countach, growing up!

I own an Audi A4. I tried doing oil changes, but that skid plate or whatever they call it pissed me off. Im paying people to do it now. On my other stuff I usually do it on my own.

I'm actually really happy to see that others are DIY mechanics on here as well. I thought it was really super rare, and am happy to see it's more common than I anticipated.

I'm actually really happy to see that others are DIY mechanics on here as well. I thought it was really super rare, and am happy to see it's more common than I anticipated.

+1! Faith in humanity restored. Especially when I saw the engine out on that Murcielago! :D

+1! Faith in humanity restored. Especially when I saw the engine out on that Murcielago! :D

I'm in the middle of rebuilding my Jalpa motor. Once you get into them they're just like any other engine more expensive than most to rebuild. Regardless, I'm on cloud 9 restoring my car. I've always wanted to rebuild one and now I get to. Childhood dream come true.