Need the 411 on Dental Implants

diabloking

I am doing research on Dental Implants. I am trying to find the pros vs cons, potential medical problems, types of procedures and what is involved, pricing and if possible doctor recommendations (for the NY area). I thought my fellow Lambo Power members might be able to offer advice and/or recommendations. Any info would be appreciated.

P.S. Anyone offering advice or information does so free responsibility for what is done with the information they give and WILL NOT be held liable for any repurcussions.

Thanks!!!!

I am doing research on Dental Implants. I am trying to find the pros vs cons, potential medical problems, types of procedures and what is involved, pricing and if possible doctor recommendations (for the NY area). I thought my fellow Lambo Power members might be able to offer advice and/or recommendations. Any info would be appreciated.

P.S. Anyone offering advice or information does so free responsibility for what is done with the information they give and WILL NOT be held liable for any repurcussions.

Thanks!!!!

Front tooth or back tooth?

Top jaw or bottom jaw?

One tooth or multiple teeth?

Dental insurance or no dental insurance?

Let's go from there....

Front tooth or back tooth? Top jaw or bottom jaw? One tooth or multiple teeth? Dental insurance or no dental insurance? Let's go from there....

Looking at 4 front top teeth & three front bottom teeth.

Not sure about insurance yet...not sure what they will cover.

Thnx

Looking at 4 front top teeth & three front bottom teeth.

Not sure about insurance yet...not sure what they will cover.

Thnx

Feel free to PM me. Lots to go over. Complexes case.

ToofDoc, you may not realize this, but asking him to PM you does nothing for members following along in this thread. If you don't mind, either post the information in the thread or just stay clear of the thread entirely. It's not fair for people to click on this thread after seeing you've posted a response, only to find you've posted nothing. Other members are following along and would appreciate any information on the subject.

Imagine if every thread operated like this. There would be no forums.

ToofDoc, you may not realize this, but asking him to PM you does nothing for members following along in this thread. If you don't mind, either post the information in the thread or just stay clear of the thread entirely. It's not fair for people to click on this thread after seeing you've posted a response, only to find you've posted nothing. Other members are following along and would appreciate any information on the subject.

Well said.

Just saw this Porter!

Great points. My thoughts were not many members would care what diabloking and I are exchanging here and also probably easier to chat on the phone than type out all the Q&As since there are so much to discuss in these matters. But all good. Diabloking never reached out anyways, probably already had his questions answered or felt too uncomfortable to PM me behind the scenes.

I'd be happy to answer any/all questions through the threads going forward. :icon_thumleft:

Just saw this Porter!

Great points. My thoughts were not many members would care what diabloking and I are exchanging here and also probably easier to chat on the phone than type out all the Q&As since there are so much to discuss in these matters. But all good. Diabloking never reached out anyways, probably already had his questions answered or felt too uncomfortable to PM me behind the scenes.

I'd be happy to answer any/all questions through the threads going forward. :icon_thumleft:

I love how much expertise is on this forum. So many awesome people with great knowledge within their fields.

Just saw this Porter!

Thanks. I know many people lurk and learn from your experience :icon_thumleft:

I had my rear top molar taken out a few years ago and never got an implant to replace it. They were adamant that I did as the rear molar would start growing or something? I have Blueshield PPO dental insurance, but I don't think that means a damn thing these days...

Can implants be an alternative for crowding up front (mostly the bottom front 4)?

Braces for a year or two has always kept me from moving forward with a better smile.

Just saw this Porter!

Hi

Haven't reached out because my k apropos cramped out on me. Maybe I could pm you then post as much general information as possible.

I will benefit from the info too. I have had fourth teeth removed 2 years a go from right lover side. And I have general consensus that it's going to need titanium screw and porceline on top of that but all info on those is welcome. (shitty week on tooth generally, have been 3 times on dentist, including today and yesterday.)

I had my rear top molar taken out a few years ago and never got an implant to replace it. They were adamant that I did as the rear molar would start growing or something? I have Blueshield PPO dental insurance, but I don't think that means a damn thing these days...

Implant in top jaw would require an evaluation of bone density, thickness and height. Maxillary sinus floor may prevent you from getting implants.

Dental insurance do not cover implants, all out of pocket cost. $3-5K per implant/tooth.

Can implants be an alternative for crowding up front (mostly the bottom front 4)?

Braces for a year or two has always kept me from moving forward with a better smile.

Implant can be an alternative to removing your crowded teeth but there are other better options than implants or braces.

Bridges

Crowns

I will benefit from the info too. I have had fourth teeth removed 2 years a go from right lover side. And I have general consensus that it's going to need titanium screw and porceline on top of that but all info on those is welcome. (shitty week on tooth generally, have been 3 times on dentist, including today and yesterday.)

Because you have so many missing teeth all in the same area, implants may not be realistic due to cost.

Ask your dentist about the possibilities of:

Cantilever bridge (permanent, don't come in and out)

Partial denture (removable like a retainer, comes in and out)

Depending on what teeth were pulled in particular. I think implants are still a possibility, but also depends on thickness of bone, where your lower nerve, how long of a bridge span, etc. I'm not a big proponent of cantilever bridges. Maybe for a front tooth, but the back teeth takes too much bite pressure. Eventually, something will break. Like ToofDoc mentioned, perhaps a partial denture if fixed prosthesis are not in your favor (fixed meaning something that stays and not removable...i.e. crowns, bridges, implants). They just take a little getting use to, but easier to clean.

Implant in top jaw would require an evaluation of bone density, thickness and height. Maxillary sinus floor may prevent you from getting implants.

Dental insurance do not cover implants, all out of pocket cost. $3-5K per implant/tooth.

Wow so 7 teeth are $21,000-$35,000 to get done!

Geez-I may need them eventually for my front teeth, so I guess I should start saving my pennies!

Also-somewhat of a sidebar question, but pertininent to this thread-with implants/false teeth, what is the best way to get the whitest teeth?

I have a bridge on my front 2 top teeth and one on the side. I quit smoking 2 years ago, and have stayed at it other than the very rare ocasion I have a cigar. I have considered getting them professionally whitened, but I would probably have to change the bridge for a lighter one correct? Any way to lessen the costs while accomplishing the same goal?

Because you have so many missing teeth all in the same area, implants may not be realistic due to cost.

Ask your dentist about the possibilities of:

Cantilever bridge (permanent, don't come in and out)

Partial denture (removable like a retainer, comes in and out)

noo, I meant fourth in order from center. Only one missing :D

Wow so 7 teeth are $21,000-$35,000 to get done!

Geez-I may need them eventually for my front teeth, so I guess I should start saving my pennies!

Not necessarily. Depending if the 7 teeth are in a row or if they are spread throughout the mouth. If in a row, then you may have about 4 implants that are spread out evenly to accommodate a 7-unit bridge (meaning 7 crowns that are all connected together). So the cost should be just the 4 implants and abutments (connectors), plus the 7 crowns. Of course this doesn't include any additional surgeries like bone grafting or sinus augmentations.

Also-somewhat of a sidebar question, but pertininent to this thread-with implants/false teeth, what is the best way to get the whitest teeth?

I have a bridge on my front 2 top teeth and one on the side. I quit smoking 2 years ago, and have stayed at it other than the very rare ocasion I have a cigar. I have considered getting them professionally whitened, but I would probably have to change the bridge for a lighter one correct? Any way to lessen the costs while accomplishing the same goal?

Fastest way to bleach is the in-office bleaching. But of course will be difficult to match the color of your existing bridge. In short, if you want whiter teeth and bridge to match, then you'll have to go with a new bridge...unless I can throw you in the oven and bake on a new color for your bridge at over 800 degrees :)

My wife is in the process of having 6 implants done. 3 in the front and 3 right side rear. Surgeons cost was $2,500 per tooth and dentist, for the implant itself was $1,500. For the rears, the healing time between oral surgeon work and dental implant was 6 months. For the front the time was 8 weeks. She had temps put in, but don't forget you'll need time between the time of surgery until the final tooth (teeth) can be put in.

It's not a quick and simple process

Fastest way to bleach is the in-office bleaching. But of course will be difficult to match the color of your existing bridge. In short, if you want whiter teeth and bridge to match, then you'll have to go with a new bridge...unless I can throw you in the oven and bake on a new color for your bridge at over 800 degrees :)

So you're saying I just have to go outside in the summer?? :icon_mrgreen:

How much would a new bridge cost these days with insurance?

Kind of a PIA as I would then have to go in/get the mold done, come back, put new bridge in, and get whitened.