Prepare yourself offroaders

lee

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There has been a hold up with the suv because of talks with the italian government over tax breaks.

What I have been told is that they want to make the car in Italy and want to expand the workforce but need some help and incentives to proceed.

But press conference tomorrow should announce green light.

Still would prefer Estoque

You beat me to it! I was just going to ask about this. In your honest opinion, (you of course having more knowledge about the company than me), do you think that this may pave the way for something like the Estoque? I was looking at pictures of it the other day and just couldn't get past how beautiful it is. Also, if I recall correctly, Lamborghini didn't want the press looking underneath the Estoque Chassis, so it could still be a thing, maybe?

That said, I hope that the Lamborghini SUV is as rugged looking as the LM002 was when it first debuted. The Urus just didn't do it for me and reminds me too much of the VW/Porsche/Audi SUV chassis.

The SUV is to appease the Chinese market, a market where SUV sales surpass the sports cars and the saloons.

Short answer-I doubt it.

Long answer.

The SUV is suppose to be the Lamborghini cash cow, what the cayenne was to Porsche. This SUV will pump money back into the sports cars development, well, at least what Porsche did.

But historical performance does not always mean going forward the results will be the same.

Audi want to pump the Bentley SUV into the Chinese and American markets which does not sit right with me. Create a rare niche market, in this case high worth SUV but with no actual SUV capabilities and then flood that market with their different brands.

That means that VAG win but not the brand so Bentley and Lamborghini lose out on the fiscal freedom Porsche had at the time of the cayenne launch.

Will lambo produce a saloon/gt? The tools are there, even using a a6 chassis would work but I see no issue with platform sharing Porsche Panamera, turn up the turbo and keep all of the tech but style it right, make it more of a wild as fcuk looking sports 2+2 GT.

But they are playing it safe with the SUV.

Also, if I recall correctly, Lamborghini didn't want the press looking underneath the Estoque Chassis, so it could still be a thing, maybe?

Funny you mention that, I was in Paris back in 2008 when Lamborghini showed the Estoque ... she did have an engine that was visible through the wheel wells ... but when I tried to take a low angle photo underneath the front bumper to get a glimpse of the engine I was asked not to ... keep in mind the Estoque was rushed together for the Paris Mondial de l'Automobile back then, perhaps they didn't want anyone to notice that.

I also remember during the first press day I was able to photograph the interior as they opened the doors ... after that the rear doors would stay closed for the remainder of the show as they had problems getting them to close again, they needed to adjust them to get back into the lock.

Still I really like the Estoque and still think it would be a viable third model ... but I have to agree the Urus SUV would attract more customers in some of the larger markets for Lamborghini.

As purists we would prefer the Estoque...there is no debate or doubt about that.

But as check writers...what are you more likely to actually get?

Fortis you already said here comes your next family car. If the Urus and the Estoque were both available which would you choose?

As purists we would prefer the Estoque...there is no debate or doubt about that.

Fortis you already said here comes your next family car. If the Urus and the Estoque were both available which would you choose?

The Estoque in Nero Pegaso to commute to work during the week, the Urus in Rosso Veneno for those Saturday shopping trips with the wife and kids ... and an Aventador Superveloce Roadster in Bianco Canopus for the 'me time' on Sunday :icon_mrgreen:

The suv is suppose to be the lambo cash cow, what the cayenne was to porsche. This suv will pump money back into the sports cars.

But history does not always mean going forward the results will be the same.

Audi want to pump bentley SUV into the Chinese and American market which does not sit right to me. Great a rare niche market in this case high money worth SUV but with no actual SUV capabilities and then flood that market with their different brands.

That means that Vag win but not the brand so bentley and lambo lose out on the fiscal freedom porsche had at the time of the cayenne launch.

Will lambo produce a saloon/gt? The tools are there, even using a a6 chassis would work but I see no issue with platform sharing Porsche Panamera, turn up the turbo and keep all of the tech but style it right, make it more of a wild as fcuk looking sports 2+2 GT.

But they are playing it safe with the SUV.

Exactly this! SUV bus went years a go. They should use some of the panamera chassis but give it full NA supercar engine in a 2+2GT config.

It's going to be a long time before anyone needs to worry about this. Even if they just slapped a Lambo body kit on Audi's flabbiest twatmobile, it'll take a couple of years to exhaustively test the result, set up the production line (which I think involves enlarging the workspace at HQ) and homologate it. Presumably they'll be doing more than that.

Rather amazing they're greenlighting a concept after three years' dithering, I can't think of another example of that at the moment.

:edit:

SUV bus went years a go. They should use some of the panamera chassis but give it full NA supercar engine in a 2+2GT config.

Not exactly. The Range Rover Sport is probably the Urus' closest rival right now, and it's selling insanely well - almost as well as the little Evoque that's been JLR's cash cow for the last few years. Their profits are now up to $4 billion, largely on the back of Land Rover's SUVs.

Porsche sells less than half as many Panameras as they do Cayennes (and more like a quarter in 2013, before the Macan arrived), and Aston's Rapide apparently didn't sell as well as they were hoping.

I'd much rather see Lamborghini do a GT or saloon than an SUV, but it's not an argument that can really be made on financial grounds.

It's a tough one but the answer would be neither, I hate the idea of both the sedan and the SUV, I feel both models would dilute what's special about the sports car making it somehow less special.

In a family car for the weekend when I am driving the whole family around, entertainment, events, etc. I need 5 seats, luxury, comfort and flexibility, the Estoque wouldn't be suited (4 seater) and it would have so much competition it's not even funny, I believe that's why they aren't making it, it wouldn't be appealing as a family car which ultimately has to be.

Now the Urus could be the car my wife drives around everyday taking the kids to school, after school activities, sporting events, etc. SUV's as you know are very handy for that, dumping stuff in the back, easy to jump in and out but and this is a very big but, I am almost 100% my wife wouldn't want a Lambo SUV to drive around everyday, she's extremely humble, she won't even let me pick up or drop off the kids to school or events in my Huracan (sometimes it's just convenient) she wants to blend in and not be misjudged by anyone so I think it would be hard to convince her to drive one around everyday in particular if it will look like it can rip your face off LOL.

The only way I could "sell" it to her, if I will be happy to drive it myself during the weekend with the entire family and eliminate the need of the family weekend car she's all about less waste, excess etc. I am pretty sure she will fall for that :lol2:

Sorry about the long post, the short answer is, I am a Lambo fan if they make an SUV which they will, what the hell, I will have one :icon_mrgreen:

Exactly this! SUV bus went years a go. They should use some of the panamera chassis but give it full NA supercar engine in a 2+2GT config.

I know that would be the least vulgar thing to do but what would be the market for that? IMO The market is very limited for that configuration, not a good sedan and not enough room for two adults at the back, if it is as practical as the two seater sports car there is really no point, the SUV market is much larger and they after the $$$.

The Urus (or whatever it will be called) is likely almost set for production. This is just one more hurdle that has been overcome and it's obviously more of a political/economical one than anything else.

About half a year ago, Lambo did a very private viewing/marketing research in the US for their SUV. They flew in their best customers in North American (as recommended by the dealerships) to show them the truck. It was displayed along with a few other SUV's by different manufacturers. The exterior styling had undergone some revisions from the Urus concept. They even had a 1:1 scale mockup of the interior along with an on-screen simulation of the same. The clients were also asked to chose their preferred power-plant and their ideal MSRP. I would guesstimate that many of Audi's components may be shared so testing would likely be swift and easy.

Personally, I would like the Estoque to go into production rather than the Urus as well but the market majority dictates I guess.

Land Rover has been killing it for two years with 145k autobiographys and until pretty recently they have surpringly had very little depreciation so the high end SUV market in the US looks pretty strong to me. Escalades have been moving as well so it isn't just Land Rover. Hope it is more rugged (gwagen ish) over crossover looking like cayenne/Audi but it seems that is what buyers want these days. If they plan on blowing them out like Porsche there is no way the current dealer network could support them and for high end dailys they will need to be able to quickly service them when things break.

I personally love performance suvs. I also prefer the Estoque but there is so much competition in that segment. M5/6, e/cls63, Tesla, Audi rs, Panamera, Rapide, etc.

It's a tough one but the answer would be neither, I hate the idea of both the sedan and the SUV, I feel both models would dilute what's special about the sports car making it somehow less special.

In a family car for the weekend when I am driving the whole family around, entertainment, events, etc. I need 5 seats, luxury, comfort and flexibility, the Estoque wouldn't be suited (4 seater) and it would have so much competition it's not even funny, I believe that's why they aren't making it, it wouldn't be appealing as a family car which ultimately has to be.

Now the Urus could be the car my wife drives around everyday taking the kids to school, after school activities, sporting events, etc. SUV's as you know are very handy for that, dumping stuff in the back, easy to jump in and out but and this is a very big but, I am almost 100% my wife wouldn't want a Lambo SUV to drive around everyday, she's extremely humble, she won't even let me pick up or drop off the kids to school or events in my Huracan (sometimes it's just convenient) she wants to blend in and not be misjudged by anyone so I think it would be hard to convince her to drive one around everyday in particular if it will look like it can rip your face off LOL.

The only way I could "sell" it to her, if I will be happy to drive it myself during the weekend with the entire family and eliminate the need of the family weekend car she's all about less waste, excess etc. I am pretty sure she will fall for that :lol2:

Sorry about the long post, the short answer is, I am a Lambo fan if they make an SUV which they will, what the hell, I will have one :icon_mrgreen:

Fortis,

My wife is the same as your wife... I nearly signed a deal on the GL63 I had been talking with the dealer for a few weeks, and was so happy to come to an agreed price and she turned around said she does not need that much power to haul the kids around and wants to get a lower key vehicle instead as she wants to blend in with the rest of the parents... I am very disappointed that I am not getting the 63, because the GL63 was almost purchased with "me, me, me" in my mind. I picked up my kid at the karate lesson once in the SV and that caused a lot of talks. People (heaps of kids) came out of the sports centre to take photos and I chose to leave when most of the kids were asked to go back inside for their sports activities, then I realised what my wife was talking about, especially during the school time, so never again for me...

Back to Urus.... I really like it, but unfortunately it isn't for me anymore, the family size will out grow the car's seating capacity next month (I even bought the Urus plate to suit thought we would not have more kids).... hence looking for wife's x5 replacement.

What I do find interesting is that lambo have showcased a sedan, a suv and 2+2 tourer which imo did not look half as good as the urus. Multi passenger vehicles seem to be in their future.

Egosita aside they have only really showcased multiple passenger vehicles lately.

I am sure there is some more market data compiled that we do not know about that supports this direction but I cannot help but think there is pressure from above to move away from two seater cars?

After all sports car companies like koenaasisisisiaieeeg and Pagani are flourishing and Ferrari sales of the FF are not exactly putting bread on the dealer principle's table so why this direction?

Fortis,

My wife is the same as your wife... I nearly signed a deal on the GL63 I had been talking with the dealer for a few weeks, and was so happy to come to an agreed price and she turned around said she does not need that much power to haul the kids around and wants to get a lower key vehicle instead as she wants to blend in with the rest of the parents... I am very disappointed that I am not getting the 63, because the GL63 was almost purchased with "me, me, me" in my mind. I picked up my kid at the karate lesson once in the SV and that caused a lot of talks. People (heaps of kids) came out of the sports centre to take photos and I chose to leave when most of the kids were asked to go back inside for their sports activities, then I realised what my wife was talking about, especially during the school time, so never again for me...

Back to Urus.... I really like it, but unfortunately it isn't for me anymore, the family size will out grow the car's seating capacity next month (I even bought the Urus plate to suit thought we would not have more kids).... hence looking for wife's x5 replacement.

Lambo_Stalker I ordered the 2016 Q7 for my wife, maybe your wife would like it, let me know I can send you some info on it.

Fortis,

The new MDX is really nice. We have a 2nd Gen and it has been a beast so for over the 80k miles. TSB took care of a Navigation Issue as well as a Mirror Actuator problem. Other than that I've kept it running with 1 set of discs and pads, fluid changes and tires. With how nice the new ones are and the extra space with the 3rd gens it might be perfect for your low key family hauler. You certainly won't attract any attention in it.

Winkie statement etc

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/05/27/u...N0OC1SL20150527

Lamborghini will produce its much-anticipated sport utility vehicle (SUV) at the supercar maker's Sant'#### Bolognese plant in Italy, with the new model to enter the market in 2018, the company said on Wednesday.

Lamborghini, part of the Volkswagen group (VOWG_p.DE), hopes the SUV will allow it to repeat stable-mate Porsche's success in the fast-growing market for luxury four-by-fours and boost profitability.

Its targeted volumes of around 3,000 vehicles per year will more than double the company's deliveries, which stood at 2,530 vehicles last year.

"The introduction of a third model ... signifies for us the beginning of a new era," Chief Executive Stephan Winkelmann said in a statement.

Winkelmann and Italy's Prime Minister Matteo Renzi met in Rome on Wednesday to sign a letter of intent on the matter.

The luxury carmaker said it would hire 500 new employees, almost double the physical size of its plant in Italy's Emilia Romagna region, and invest "hundreds of millions of euros" in the project over the lifecycle of the vehicle.

A source told Reuters on Tuesday that Italy's government provided tax breaks and incentives for a total of up to 90 million euros ($98 million) to encourage Lamborghini to base the production of the new model in the country.

With the SUV, Lamborghini will mainly target fans of all-wheel-drive vehicles in markets such as the United States, China, the Middle East, the United Kingdom, Germany and Russia.

The carmaker also hopes to expand its customer base to families and other clients new to the high-performance brand.

The carmaker first presented a concept vehicle for the SUV, named Urus, in 2012.

Lamborghini's decision to base the model in Italy follows a similar move by Fiat Chrysler (FCHA.MI), which began producing its new Jeep Renegade and Fiat 500X models at a plant in southern Italy last year, also boosting employment.

Both companies are helped by labour reform that was approved by Renzi's government earlier this year.

In a bid to tackle chronically high unemployment, the reform has eased firing restrictions in large firms and offers fiscal incentives to employers that offer workers permanent contracts.

($1 = 0.9203 euros)

(Reporting by Agnieszka Flak in Milan and Jan Schwartz in Hamburg; editing by Susan Thomas)

What I do find interesting is that lambo have showcased a sedan, a suv and 2+2 tourer which imo did not look half as good as the urus. Multi passenger vehicles seem to be in their future.

Egosita aside they have only really showcased multiple passenger vehicles lately.

I am sure there is some more market data compiled that we do not know about that supports this direction but I cannot help but think there is pressure from above to move away from two seater cars?

After all sports car companies like koenaasisisisiaieeeg and Pagani are flourishing and Ferrari sales of the FF are not exactly putting bread on the dealer principle's table so why this direction?

It's inevitable. Look what the Cayenne did for Porsche. Actually I am surprised it took them so long. Chinese market is a big pull too.