What has been your best roadtrip?

capt_chaos

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, don't compare us two with VCR, a highly advanced cyborg from the future haha, just think about the adventures we had as a result of us getting lost :icon_mrgreen:

Do you remember when we got lost and ended up at the wrong airport which was pretty much deserted aside of one dude we ended up asking for directions? The guy was one of the strangest looking individuals I ever met in my life :lol2:

It took us quite a while to figure out whether the it was a man or a woman.

It was like the twilight zone LOL

I think I still have photos, it was freaking hilarious!

Thanks to Liquid asking for 50th info I found the link to LPDADDY's post talking about the above, so damn funny LOL

http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?...t&p=1039537

:eusa_dance:

Damn, wasn't that fun??

enough!!!!! i can't stand it....;)

that was possibly the stupidest move i ever made, well didnt make. I had the car(s), time and $$$. i decided to do something else, which i can't remember-so that means i wasted the time.

goad you had fun.

best

eric

Ok, don't compare us two with VCR, a highly advanced cyborg from the future haha,

:lol2: :lol2: Well, I am not here to terminate anyone.

:lol2: :lol2: Well, I am not here to terminate anyone.

I think this tread is worthy of the taxi trip from Italy to Switzerland, don't you ? :lol2:

I'm sick with myself I didn't go to the 50th...

With that said my favorite road trip was driving 2000 miles to the Rockies for a wedding, through the Rockies, and back home. Car never skipped a beat! Has been the most reliable car I've ever owned!

23592CB3-D392-4641-95CF-D635EDA1BE08_zpsnazoojmy.jpg

About 10 or so years ago I bought my first Viper. It was a 2004 SRT. I wasn't really in a position financially to own a car like that yet but I put in a low bid on ebay and ended up being a new owner. I live in West Tx and the car was in NY. It just so happen that we had a project going on in NY at that time and my brother was there running it.

Called my brother and told him what just happened and asked if he was up for a road trip! I flew down and he picked me up and we went straight to the dealer. Here is where the fun starts....

Go in, sign paperwork, and about to walk out. Its at night and started raining cats and dogs. He runs out to the rent car and I jump in the Viper. Its raining so hard I can barely see, I start backing up and my brother is laying on the horn after a few seconds and I cant figure out why. I then found out why. I backed right into a post, luckily it just left a little scratch.

So then we are off..

Now picture this:

I had never driven a Viper before

I damn sure hadn't driven a Viper in the rain before

And I absolutely for damn sure hadn't driven a Viper, in the rain, in NY traffic, at night!!!!!!!

I was maintaining about 40mph, anything else was sure death. Cars were zooming by with horns blazing and fingers flying. Finally made it to hotel and I was shaking and completely fried. I don't smoke and I had to get a cigarette from my brother to calm down,lol

We headed out the next day back to W. TX. I believe it was a little over 2000 miles. The 1st 500 miles we were wondering what in the hell we had gotten ourselves into. Very cramped quarters and rough ride, even considered renting a pick up and trailer for a while, lol. Then the second 500 miles we were getting use to it and started having a little fun. Jamming out, waiving back all the people waiving at us, dropped the top a couple times.

Then as we got further the conversations started to have larger gaps.

By 1500 miles we didn't have a damn word to say to each other,lol.

It had its up and downs but that is one I wont ever forget.

I think this tread is worthy of the taxi trip from Italy to Switzerland, don't you ? :lol2:

For sure. Please disclose as you see fit. :turboalex:

Seeing as every lambo owner regrets missing the 50th, let's hope the factory will see this thread and throw 60th anniversary run. It doesnt jave to be as glamorous as the 50th bit someyhing along those lines.

Edit: Nevermind, after further thoughts nothing can replace that event or even come close to it no matter what we drive or how many lambos.come. It is what it is.

I was pretty pissed that I couldn't cut the 50th event when it happened. That feeling hasn't changed.

After multiple cross-country trips, some with road rallies, some to meet people and others for moving, I have to say that they are all very special in their own way.

2006: AKA Rally, my big turbo STi lost a/c and blew a ringland, but I did San Diego to the start in Vegas -> D.C., then to Michigan.

2010: non-stop from MI to San Antonio, TX and back in a weekend, in my H1. Was terrible, came home to my girlfriend (now ex) with a waiter. :hunter: :lol2:

2013: Drove the '03 Murci from MI to NYC with a stop in Pittsburgh and straight-shot back. On way there, radio quit before getting out of MI. On way back, wiper quit the second we got out of the NYC tunnels and it rained the entire way back.

431402_10100796904568875_612043440_n.jpe

December 26, 2010: Viper ACR, Michigan to San Diego: most memorable tri.

The purpose of this road trip was to move from MI to CA. So the trunk had a bunch of my crap in it along with our luggage. A few days before the trip someone attempted to break into the Viper and the passenger door latch didn't work.

Left at 3pm on Sunday, December 26th. Had no traffic getting to or out of Chicago, which was a Godsend. Light snow the entire way across the midwest and then it was dry entering Colorado.

Made it to Denver in just under 13 hours with a stop for food, stop for pictures, along with refueling stops. Attempted a run at the I-70. . . The I-70 was dry!!!!!! Up to Loveland, all going well. 10% chance of flurries for two hours and then clear all the way to UT!

Just before Loveland snow hits, hard. Over 2 inches on the road immediately. Signs light up for chains required and the tail of the Viper starts to get squirrelly going up the mountain. I see a break in the center divide wall and go for it. Went wide right and drifted through the opening to head back east. While going down the mountain, I have to figure out how to slow/stop/turn the car in this much snow while going down a 6% grade on PS2 tires. Unfortunately before I could get a plan together the tail kicked out again, I pump the brakes (no ABS or stability control) & counter-steer to keep the tail in line as it sways left & right for what seemed to be an eternity. I eventually get the car in line and am able to get it to 15mph in 3rd gear. We make it back down the mountain. Then headed to the 25 S and go the southern route. The snow added over 7 hours of driving to the trip.

Made it to vegas in 32 hours, non-stop.

I had Valet park the car out front of Vdara. It made the 24 hour LeMons Vipers look clean. :lol2:

Traffic was bad the entire trip from Vegas to San Diego. At one point we got off the highway an ran a desert road along the highway to avoid the traffic.

Overall it was a fun trip. My right calf cramped up because of no cruise. Car was driven 32 hours straight and never gave me an issue. Averaged a little over 22mpg.

photo-8.jpg

photo-4.jpg

Had many epic trips... best route has to be

Paris, Lyon, Route Napoleon, St.Tropez, Monte Carlo, Lake Como, Munich... do this one almost yearly... done in a 3 series coupe one year and a F430 the nextIMG_0896.JPG IMG_0897.JPG

Having the Maestro sign my car in Newport this year was pretty fcuking epic as well.

IMG_4287.JPG IMG_4288.JPG

Fla to NY when I was a Jr in college.

We got pulled over by a Georgia State Trooper.......

"Son, nobody goes through Georgia that fast"

Buddy: "Sherman did"

Trooper handcuffs my friend and bounces him all over the hood of the car. Un-handcuffs him and drives off without a word or a ticket

We just stood there :o

Hahahaha.

My favorite road trip is a bit different from most. I graduated from school a semester early in Dec of 06, got married and moved to DC right away. That summer about 2 weeks after graduation a buddy of mine from school who was in the same frat as I was passed away. I was on a business trip to KY at the time and flew to his place in NH for the funeral rather then flying home. I arrived the night before the funeral, hardly got a wink of sleeping while catching up with my frat brothers and then attended the funeral the next day. After the funeral and the luncheon 7 of us hopped in my buddy's parents 87 conversion van and started the drive home. Of course it was 90+ out and the A/C wasn't working. I volunteered to drive just so I could open the window and get some fresh air. We left ME where the funeral was and drove through NH, MA, CT, NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, DC and VA dropping various brothers off at their places along the way. I think we left the ME around 4:30pm and after a stop for gas, a cooler, ice and beer didn't turn the car off until we hit DCA in DC at 7:30am. My buddy Chris got on the metro, I picked up my car I had left there during my business trip to KY and my buddy Hayden drove the van home to his parents.

There is no doubt that the circumstances could have been better. My friend was far to young to pass away. But his death allowed 15 of us to get together much sooner than we ever would have though after graduating and allowed 8 of us to share an unbelievable ride home that was spent reminiscing about him and everything surrounding our last few years at school. I look back at that trip with equal parts sadness and happiness. I also got to step foot in 12 states and the District with in a 48 hour span.

Wasn't the best - but maybe the most memorable

1979: drove with boyfriend (now hubby) in his 1977 Corvette from Buffalo to D.C. to visit a friend at university.

This was during the gas shortage crisis, and the biggest issue the entire trip was making sure we could hit a gas station before we ran out. Lines were ridiculously long, and it added a layer of stress to what otherwise would have been a purely fun trip.

Went to bars, stayed out all night. A fun time. I don't recall a lot of the details (it was a blur) - but the drive, and having to figure out gas locations (before hand held devices) was a challenge. Anyone remember paper maps? ;)

Side note: I teach new drivers how to drive (mostly teens) and many have never seen a paper map - nor been to a library. Makes me feel ancient! One kid said (when I asked if he knew who the Rolling Stones were): "they are really old - right?" He'd NOT heard of the Beatles.

A few years ago I picked up a chopper because a couple of my friends had recently bought bikes for themselves. We set out for our first small road trip together on a Saturday night. The plan was to start in north Scottsdale and head south to a cool outdoor restaurant called SanTan Flats. This was supposed to be about 150 mile round trip.

We did the typical Scottsdale road and then down through Mill ave (ASU area). It started raining like crazy. I had only bought the chopper 2 days ago. Although I had years of riding experience on a regular Harley, a chopper with a huge back tire is a different animal. Especially in the rain. We started to cut across Mesa to make our way south to Queen Creek (a much more rural town). The rain was so heavy we just couldn't see 10 feet in front of us. We had to stop.

We ended up at an Applebee's that had a porch for the bikes and we went in to wait the rain out. We looked like hell, but we were proud to make it that far. People stared at us for our resolve (or stupidity LOL). After about an hour of food and looking at the weather on our phones, this guy walks up to us. He looked like an average Joe, nothing out of the ordinary. He asks "Are you guys real bikers?" For initial impressions we pretty much looked the part even though we were just some friends who happened to enjoy motorcycles. Certainly not the Hells Angles LOL! My mind flashed back to the Tim Allen movie "Wild Hogs". I responded with a resounding "Yeah. Why?" He asks "Are you in any kind of club?" And without missing a beat or giving it any thought I blurted out "Yup, We're the Angry Chinchillas!" I had a tone in my voice as if I was appalled he even needed to ask. The look of awe on his face was priceless. I think he feared we were going to rape the women and eat their babies. He gave us a respectful nod and with a quivering voice he said "You know, I think I have heard of you guys. Have a good night." As soon as he was out of sight we laughed so hard we fell off our chairs. That guy thought he met with some badass mofo's!

It was time to continue on. We never did make it to our destination. About 5 miles down the road my bike that I just bought broke a primary gear on the transmission and I had to get towed home. My two friends headed home also. That short 2 hours with my best buddies will never be forgotten.

It was a short "roadtrip" but taking Chads (Ex) verde ithaca 6.0 from Salt Lake to Park city roaring up the canyon to meet Valentino Balboni for dinner with Hovik and Rob Ferretti. Short,but knocked one off the bucket list in a bright green diablo. Doesn't get much better to me than that.

You missed the rest of the weeks drive. We are coming back to Park City later this month. Let me make a separate thread incase this inspires peoples sense of adventure.

• 2 weeks later...

Just came home from one. Once again I drove with my father a week in Scandinavia, mostly Southern Norway.

post-20201-1436705941_thumb.jpg

post-20201-1436705797_thumb.jpg

We went to Gatebil event too, cars were as usual insane. Here for example a 1976 Volvo 240 with enlargened Viper V10 8.6l with twin turbos.

post-20201-1436705648_thumb.jpg

:shock: That is one tricked-out 240! Slick tires?

Yes it had slicks on front rears were something else but I quess these tyres wont last more than a one hot drift lap or two maximum so...

I googled and found out this: http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/08/viper-...ered-volvo-242/

Stavanger was really heavy in oil rig business: (This is actually < semi-submersible accommodation ship.)

post-20201-1436733855_thumb.jpg

At our hotel parking there were these beauties. German plates so they were on road trip on these machines. I can not even start to describe how hard (in a kinky way) it would be drive these 6m long prehistoric stuff up and down the mostly less than 2 cars width roads with endless alpine style passes with more than 10% pitches including tunnels.. If the brakes don't work you will die, no questions.

post-20201-1436733771_thumb.jpg

rmtn I am jealous, it looks like you had a fantastic time and to spend one week with your dad doing something like that it's priceless, huge congrats to the both of you, you inspired me to do something similar with my son when he grows up, he's obsessed with cars BTW which is always a bonus :icon_mrgreen:

rmtn I am jealous, it looks like you had a fantastic time and to spend one week with your dad doing something like that it's priceless, huge congrats to the both of you, you inspired me to do something similar with my son when he grows up, he's obsessed with cars BTW which is always a bonus :icon_mrgreen:

Do one when he is still young so he will remember it and suggest a trip to you later ;)