Concept S for auction

dyvatvol15

Befitting a sale focused on cutting-edge design, early entries for RM’s 2015 New York event are led by a unique 2006 Lamborghini Concept S, chassis 001. Conceived by the marque’s then head of design, Luc Donckerwolke, the car was introduced as an extreme interpretation of an open-top Lamborghini Gallardo. First presented as a non-running design study at Geneva in 2005, tremendous public interest in the Concept S prompted the decision to build a functional version of the vehicle in order to further gauge potential customer demand.

The fully operable version debuted at the Concorso Italiano the following year; a proverbial show-stopper, it remained true to its concept yet seemed even more extreme. The so-called “saute-vent” windscreens, re-designed and lowered for homologation, were even more radical than the original design, serving to visually divide the cabin and creating a “spine” that runs between the passenger and the driver.

While a limited run was originally planned for the Concept S, the exceedingly high cost and time-consuming production ultimately ended with the first example also being the last, rendering chassis 001 – the vehicle slated for RM’s New York sale - a true, production-ready, one-off Lamborghini. In single ownership from new, the current owner took delivery of the Concept S soon after it’s unveiling. It proved so popular that it was routinely invited back by Lamborghini to be shown around the world, including twice at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance. Fully operable and street-legal, it has been driven only 180 km, with many of those accumulated during initial testing and the remainder on the show field (Estimate: $2,400,000 - $3,000,000).

Ian Kelleher, Managing Director of RM Sotheby’s West Coast division adds, “The Gallardo Concept S is downright wild and an absolutely perfect car to be featured within the 10th floor galleries at Sotheby’s. The Lamborghini’s blend of avant-garde style and uniqueness sets the tone for what will be a theme carried throughout the entire catalogue. As we carefully curate the 2015 New York offering, we will continue to place a strong emphasis on significant design contribution throughout automotive history. It will undoubtedly be another watershed event.”

http://www.rmauctions.com/ny15/new-york/lo...ncept-s/1076697

Saw the listing earlier today.

I wonder what kind of money this car will go for in November ... it is a one of a kind, much like the Aventador J in fact.

Anyone has an idea for how much she was sold back in 2005, I've been told this 001 car was the one shown at the Monterey Concorso Italiano in August 2005 ... she never went back to Italy but was delivered to her owner after the show?

Wouldn't mind having some more background information on this unique V10, the original prototype is on display at the factory museum, still has the special seats, while this 001 one has the Gallardo seats.

There is one just like it in the Lamborghini museum next to the factory.

Keep in mind there are a series of differences between this 001 being for sale and the prototype at the factory.

- front headlights (note the led turn signals on the factory one)

- rear taillights (lp640 style taillights on the factory one)

- windows (001 has even lower front window)

- seats (001 has Gallardo seats, factory one has race style seats)

and I've been told the factory one isn't functional in fact.

So they look alike, but are different enough to be one of a kind ... I wonder if the estimate up to $3,000,000 will be reached.

If this is the car i am thinking of, and i believe it is as it belongs to the same owner as the bluE LP00, it is very rough mechanically and will need lots of work. Looks very cool but at the same time, good luck to the buyer

If this is the car i am thinking of, and i believe it is as it belongs to the same owner as the bluE LP00, it is very rough mechanically and will need lots of work. Looks very cool but at the same time, good luck to the buyer

95% sure this is that car.

If so, I'm afraid someone will buy this one and put it on display only ... looking good, but is a mechanical mess ... all show and no go.

Would be a real shame not to drive such a unique car once in a while.

The operational version was originally sold to Canada.

If so, I'm afraid someone will buy this one and put it on display only ... looking good, but is a mechanical mess ... all show and no go.

Would be a real shame not to drive such a unique car once in a while.

that sounds like the one i sat in in Monterey. it had problems, good from far, far from good.

i aint hatin' but anyone who would blow $3M on this and not a Muria really needs to take some time and learn a little.

The operational version was originally sold to Canada.

I heard Jay Leno also owns or owned a Concept S ... anyone can confirm that? Could it be the 001 that is for sale now?

I heard Jay Leno also owns or owned a Concept S ... anyone can confirm that? Could it be the 001 that is for sale now?

i'm 99% sure he never did, i've been to his garage once, spoke to him many times and he aint much of a Lambo guy. Not for lack of interest, lack of time. He has so many cars, and prefers the old stuff (Steamers-he told me), i just don't think he has the time to put much thought into Lambo. I offered to park one of my Diablo GTR's in his collection(I pay all insurance, maintenance etc.) I just thought it would look good there, he was not interested.

Winkelmann told that in one interview, one for the factory, one sold to Canada, they were thinking about a small production run, but homologation issues were to hard to handle.

Contrary to the auction sales pitch, I am quite sure that the car is not street legal; at least not street legal in Canada. I've met the owner a few times and had seen this car 3 times. Very nice and finished just like a "regular" Spyder. No idea on how it runs though.

i'm 99% sure he never did, i've been to his garage once, spoke to him many times and he aint much of a Lambo guy. Not for lack of interest, lack of time. He has so many cars, and prefers the old stuff (Steamers-he told me), i just don't think he has the time to put much thought into Lambo. I offered to park one of my Diablo GTR's in his collection(I pay all insurance, maintenance etc.) I just thought it would look good there, he was not interested.

What…? Jay is a huge Lambo guy and loves the brand, he even has a "Lamborghini Section" of his garage. Right off the top of my head without looking into it he has at least 7 Lambos and Im sure its a lot more than that.

Watch this episode, his first words are literally "As you know we are HUGE Lamborghini enthusiasts" haha..

Contrary to the auction sales pitch, I am quite sure that the car is not street legal; at least not street legal in Canada. I've met the owner a few times and had seen this car 3 times. Very nice and finished just like a "regular" Spyder. No idea on how it runs though.

It is not street legal in Canada, and it is just a regular Gallardo with different body except it runs like shit, wiring harness is fucked and check engine lights everywhere. Would make a great coffee table

that sounds like the one i sat in in Monterey. it had problems, good from far, far from good.

i aint hatin' but anyone who would blow $3M on this and not a Muria really needs to take some time and learn a little.

:iamwithstupid:

$3m for a Gallardo in drag....nuts.

• 4 months later...
The results of the auction are online for the Miura and the Countach.

What happened to the Concept S ... didn' it sell?

Because no one would ever pay that much for an old gen Gallardo with a body kit that makes it virtually unusable . . .

But this price, holy shit. http://www.rmsothebys.com/ny15/new-york---...glietti/1078342

I was at the auction. I think it sold for 1.7. I had the car for 2 months before the sale storing it. It wasn't in too rough dhape mechanically.