Anyone know this Asshole?

Odyssey

Honestly, I think this is all making a mountain out of a molehill, as we are mostly all in agreement about the lion's behavior. My point was just about how many people attach significance to certain animals based on their appearance and perception, such as the "noble lion" versus the "evil hyena" and thus why I think much of the outrage over this lion being shot is overblown.

But I do think you are mistaken if you think mammal animals can't distinguish between basic right and wrong to a degree.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a side note, one of the 5 last remaining white rhinos has died. So now they are down to 4, And only one of them is a male. If you have the opportunity, go see one. They are about to be extinct.

My issue is..what are you exactly risking by hunting a dangerous animal like he was? Correct me if I'm wrong but one sits in a truck, probably with night vision goggles on, and waits for the animal to walk by. Where's the risk? Now if he was without a car, that is at least something. If he was out with a shotgun...

This how real men do it

You're a big fat quitter. Get back in there you lazy bastard.

Yes Sir! :turboalex:

My house is an easy target from the air, do you think I'd disobey a direct order from you?? The answer you are looking for is HELL NO!!

This how real men do it

I honestly don't get how people can go and just shoot at the animal with no risk involved and act like they're some big-shot or something. I mean if you're hunting animals for food, sure, but if you're doing it as a sport, and against something that's supposed to be a great predator, well I mean do it the prehistoric way, go out with a spear and hunt down the lion, then throw the spear into it. That shows true hunting skills.

And even with hunting for food, many men like it because it can be a quite physical exercise. You can be out in the freezing cold for hours stalking and then lying in wait for the animal, then you have to have a way to haul it back, etc...but lure out a lion, then shoot it when the guides point, then cut off the head and skin it, what skill or fun is there in that?

That is an awesome video though, I know primitive hunters hunt with spears and some do persistence running to run down deer (humans can run down deer over distance in hot climates), however never heard of directly facing off against lions to steal meat.

And I think you are wrong if you think that animals cannot distinguish between right and wrong. Go kill some baby lions and don't be surprised if the lions hunt you down for revenge. Kill or torture an elephant or baby elephant and you may get hunted by the elephant for revenge

Your example is not a matter of right or wrong or revenge, it's a matter of survival. If you pose a threat to the animal, of course it's going to protect itself by any means necessary.

And what's right or wrong will always be dependent on your point of view.

Your example is not a matter of right or wrong or revenge, it's a matter of survival. If you pose a threat to the animal, of course it's going to protect itself by any means necessary.

And what's right or wrong will always be dependent on your point of view.

It was revenge on the part of these animals. Not something done for survival purposes, but explicitly to get back at those responsible. Another example is if you throw rocks at monkeys. Many have found out the hard way that the monkeys will take revenge when a gang of them shows up later and starts throwing their feces at you. Revenge can take multiple forms :D

I remember my pet beagle, who when we (my mom, sister, and I, this was back in the 1990s) would go out anywhere, proceeded to do the following to get revenge:

1) Tear up pillows

2) Try to yank the table cloth off the table (with everything on it)

3) Poop on the floor and then stomp through the poop so there would be poop prints all over the place

You mean similar to how Wheels would post a counterpoint to every post that disagrees with his views? :icon_mrgreen:

You mean similar to how Wheels would post a counterpoint to every post that disagrees with his views? :icon_mrgreen:

That is my OCD.

It was revenge on the part of these animals. Not something done for survival purposes, but explicitly to get back at those responsible. Revenge can take multiple forms biggrin.gif

pe5GWGf.jpg

I'm burning all Hemingway's books today

h2_zpstpugciqg.gif

h1_zpsgndmyoif.jpg

...and I'm peeing on Teddy Roosevelt's grave

r3_zpsrmilmso1.jpg

r1_zps7atcb3rs.jpg

r2_zpsh4qqa17q.jpg

MAJOR assholes!

It's called evolution, what's the point in killing those animals?

You hungry have no options and you are into lion ass by all means, the damn thing attacks you go for it but just because you want to pose over a dead animal carcass looking like you are the tough one just because you are holding a gun I do think you are a major asshole and I really do not care who you are, an asshole is an asshole!

I am not obsessed with animals but I believe in cohabitation, I deal with people in exactly the same way.

It's called evolution, what's the point in killing those animals?

You hungry have no options and you are into lion ass by all means, the damn thing attacks you go for it but just because you want to pose over a dead animal carcass looking like you are the tough one just because you are holding a gun I do think you are a major asshole and I really do not care who you are, an asshole is an asshole!

I am not obsessed with animals but I believe in cohabitation, I deal with people in exactly the same way.

^ :iamwithstupid:

Different time. The animals were way more plentiful and it wasn't so easy for rich pricks to fly over and blast one for no reason. Ther world has moved on , do you want slavery and witch burning brought back too? Whether you like it or not trophy hunting with no use for the meat of a rare animal is just unacceptable and is now the arena of people with mental issues and or tiny dicks

I do not like the killers, and the killing bravely and well crap. I do not like the bully boys, the Teddy Roosevelt’s, the Hemingways, the Ruarks. They are merely slightly more sophisticated versions of the New Jersey file clerks who swarm into the Adirondacks in the fall, in red cap, beard stubble and taut hero’s grin, talking out of the side of their mouths, exuding fumes of bourbon, come to slay the ferocious white-tailed deer. It is the search for balls. A man should have one chance to bring something down. He should have his shot at something, a shining running something, and see it come a-tumbling down, all mucus and steaming blood stench and gouted excrement, the eyes going dull during the final muscle spasms. And if he is, in all parts and purposes, a man, he will file that away as a part of his process of growth and life and eventual death. And if he is perpetually, hopelessly a boy, he will lust to go do it again, with a bigger beast.”

― John D. MacDonald, A Deadly Shade of Gold

MAJOR assholes!

It's probably that people thought differently about animals back then. It wasn't like today where we have a much better understanding of animal psychology, concept of animal rights, etc...I believe Teddy Roosevelt also held some eugenicist beliefs as well.