Anyone know this Asshole?

Odyssey

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that animals only kill for food and that's it, that's not true at all and is a human-centric view that only humans are the cruel animals. The reality is that non-human animals can be very violent and cruel.

I would say that lions could qualify as monsters. Lions do not just kill to eat, they kill for leadership and aggression. That is why you can't put lions in with tigers, they'll start fights with the tigers. The male lion doesn't hunt generally, he has a pride of females who do the hunting. The male fights. That is why the male lion has the mane. The mane protects the neck area as when most cats attack, they go for the neck. The male lion knows how to protect his neck area and how to fight around the mane of other males.

Male lions love to fight and kill and that is why I pointed out about Russell Crowe rolling with tigers and not lions. A male lion has to protect his pride from other males. If another male comes along, he may try to kill or run the lead male of the pride off. Then he'll kill his babies and the mothers of the babies if they try to protect them.

Hyenas love to torture as well. There is video on Youtube of a hyena torturing a wild pig. Dolphins ("Flipper") will kill for sport too. There was an incident of baby dolphins showing up dead, apparently speared. Authorities though it was poachers or something going and spearing the babies. Turned out it was adult-male dolphins who were ramming the babies with their beaks for fun. Dolphins also will ram and kill sharks as well.

Wheels, I get your point, but the reality is that the majority of animals have to fight to procreate. Tortoises are built for fighting, flipping, and thus killing other prospective males. Dung beetles are built to fight eachother. A male praying mantis gets it's head bit off right after losing it's virginity. The cruelty observed when a lion kills it's vanquished opponent's cubs is also part of the reason lions have evolved into what they are today. When it comes to procreation competition is fierce. I'm sure you've noticed we engage in some pretty crazy behavior ourselves. Why do you think there are so many fights at bars?

Yes, I can see a correlation between what you see as cruelty and how it relates to apex predators. Orcas kill for fun, fight and kill each other, and large males engage in acts of infaticide. The same has been observed with large primates, wolves, bears, etc. The theme here is that most of these animals are at the top for a reason. They have evolved into killing machines. That's what they do. Giving a lion his claws, teeth, muscle, and speed and expecting him to not enjoy using them is the equivalent of giving a sixteen year old an Aventador and trusting he won't break the speed limit.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wheels do you think you are smarter than a lion?

Me.

Which one, in your opinion, has a better understanding of right from wrong you or a lion?

The point is that animals don't just kill for food or self-defense and that's it, they kill for sport as well and can be very cruel. The only difference with humans is that we are intelligent enough to have the concept of morals and realize that people and creatures have rights. However, that said, I think animals also can distinguish between right and wrong. For example, a pet dog will know oftentimes whether it has done something wrong. And many animals fully understand the concept of revenge, which means they see it as wrong to hurt their own kind, which means they could also understand it as wrong to hurt other kinds for fun as well.

Wheels, I get your point, but the reality is that the majority of animals have to fight to procreate. Tortoises are built for fighting, flipping, and thus killing other prospective males. Dung beetles are built to fight eachother. A male praying mantis gets it's head bit off right after losing it's virginity. The cruelty observed when a lion kills it's vanquished opponent's cubs is also part of the reason lions have evolved into what they are today. When it comes to procreation competition is fierce. I'm sure you've noticed we engage in some pretty crazy behavior ourselves. Why do you think there are so many fights at bars?

Yes, I can see a correlation between what you see as cruelty and how it relates to apex predators. Orcas kill for fun, fight and kill each other, and large males engage in acts of infaticide. The same has been observed with large primates, wolves, bears, etc. The theme here is that most of these animals are at the top for a reason. They have evolved into killing machines. That's what they do. Giving a lion his claws, teeth, muscle, and speed and expecting him to not enjoy using them is the equivalent of giving a sixteen year old an Aventador and trusting he won't break the speed limit.

The point though is that this idea that animals only kill for food and that's that, that only humans kill for sport and fun, is not true. Animals can be just as cruel and violent for fun and revenge as humans. The thing is that certain animals people get all bent-out-of-shape over if they get killed then others is based on misconceptions about them such as that they only kill for food and that's that, and also how they look. For example, note the concern over the beloved polar bears due to the idea of global warming. The main reason people care so much is because the polar bears look so adorable and cute and cuddly.

A lot of people will say, "How dare someone shoot such an innocent animal! Yes it's a predator, but it only kills for food..." actually no, it will kill and torture for fun and can be just as cruel as any human. And just because it looks cuddly doesn't mean it is morally any superior to a non-cuddly-looking animal.

Not that I think it's okay to just shoot wildlife, I don't condone it unless for food or population control, but I think people get bent-out-of-shape too easily over things like this.

Not to get sidetracked but planned parenthood isn't killing babies, just the unethical stuff of what they are doing with them behind the scenes right? Obviously an important topic, but not exactly apples to apples. Of course the media wants to turn it into that. Saw on CNN where they actually counted the minutes of air time the last 2 days between the two topics.

Not to get sidetracked but planned parenthood isn't killing babies, just the unethical stuff of what they are doing with them behind the scenes right? Obviously an important topic, but not exactly apples to apples. Of course the media wants to turn it into that. Saw on CNN where they actually counted the minutes of air time the last 2 days between the two topics.

The two subjects are so very different. Abortion is a whole different topic, and then if you get to the sub-abortion controversy it's different again.

Discussing abortion here is going to get into closed thread territory and for good reason.

The two subjects are so very different. Abortion is a whole different topic, and then if you get to the sub-abortion controversy it's different again.

Discussing abortion here is going to get into closed thread territory and for good reason.

:iamwithstupid:

Next person who violates a rule in this thread is getting the hammer... Dont know which rule? Figure it out.

When you say a lion is 'cruel' and killing for 'sport', you mean in your estimation of how his actions would be perceived if he were human, right? Lions dont have the intelligence to judge between 'right' and 'wrong' and make a decision based on that judgement. When males of the animal kingdom commit infanticide etc it is instinctual, and done to increase their dna's density in the gene pool IMHO. Pure survival instinct at its most primal. There seems to be a little anthropomorphism going on ITT, along with far too much of it world wide. Someone mentioned the lack of concern for human death tolls in Syria? None of the dead were named Cecil is the sad difference, as far as I can see.

The mosquito is the biggest killer in Africa. 1 child every minute of every day dies from Malaria, and usually under the age of 5. Not to be heartless over this act of taking this Lion, however it came to be, but Africa has some other serious issues that unfortunately they are struggling with. Mainly, disease.

Personally id be all for the smiling dentist to bow-and-arrow the hell out of mosquitos, no matter what they are named! Those shits are pure gangsta... :la:

(Sorry getting ready for "Straight Outa Compton"!) :icon_mrgreen:

When you say a lion is 'cruel' and killing for 'sport', you mean in your estimation of how his actions would be perceived if he were human, right? Lions dont have the intelligence to judge between 'right' and 'wrong' and make a decision based on that judgement. When males of the animal kingdom commit infanticide etc it is instinctual, and done to increase their dna's density in the gene pool IMHO. Pure survival instinct at its most primal. There seems to be a little anthropomorphism going on ITT, along with far too much of it world wide. Someone mentioned the lack of concern for human death tolls in Syria? None of the dead were named Cecil is the sad difference, as far as I can see.

Except this is strange as hell...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rxCOyAY1oU4

The dentist could give two fucks about lion population control and needs of locals. He just wanted to kill a lion. It's true that this would have been one of hundreds/thousands of such kills that go unnoticed every year if it wasn't for the 'protected and named' status of this one particular lion, but that doesn't mean people's anger is misdirected. Stuff happens around the world everywhere all the time, who's going to build an Importance Hierarchy Chart and start classifying events and assigning how much attention to which one we should pay?

It's not important that lions kill other lions, are violent etc., They're animals. It's instinct. They don't know any better. We are supposed to know better and be smarter. We are supposed to have moved on from killing just for sake of killing stage. He didn't give $50K to help locals, he didn't give the money to help the conservation, he paid so that his ass wouldn't be thrown to jail for committing a crime. Let's not make this guy and his hobby mates sound like they're single-handedly saving the safari and the animals in it, if that was their intentions they would have just donated the money, like millions of individuals, organizations and companies do. They pay to get away with it, simple as that, IMO.

Putting a bullet in an animal with intention to kill and calling that a sport is just ... idk, I can't even find words for it. At least use a paintball gun or something, proves you're the man, have skills and COULD have killed the big wild animal, but show you're in it for the sport of hunting, not just to kill something. Catch and release...

The point though is that this idea that animals only kill for food and that's that, that only humans kill for sport and fun, is not true. Animals can be just as cruel and violent for fun and revenge as humans.

Trying to remember having ever read anything this preposterously stupid. Nope.

Oh sure, just search his previous posts. That one only ranks a 4 on the wheels scale. :lol2:

Oh sure, just search his previous posts. That one only ranks a 4 on the wheels scale. :lol2:

I gave up a while ago, when one expects a freaking lion to have the same mental capacity in order to differentiate between right or wrong as a mature intelligent human and telling you, don't worry the lion isn't a God damn angel itself, I give up, I know I am not a quitter but in this instance I MUST GIVE UP!

The dentist could give two fucks about lion population control and needs of locals. He just wanted to kill a lion. It's true that this would have been one of hundreds/thousands of such kills that go unnoticed every year if it wasn't for the 'protected and named' status of this one particular lion, but that doesn't mean people's anger is misdirected. Stuff happens around the world everywhere all the time, who's going to build an Importance Hierarchy Chart and start classifying events and assigning how much attention to which one we should pay?

It's not important that lions kill other lions, are violent etc., They're animals. It's instinct. They don't know any better. We are supposed to know better and be smarter. We are supposed to have moved on from killing just for sake of killing stage. He didn't give $50K to help locals, he didn't give the money to help the conservation, he paid so that his ass wouldn't be thrown to jail for committing a crime. Let's not make this guy and his hobby mates sound like they're single-handedly saving the safari and the animals in it, if that was their intentions they would have just donated the money, like millions of individuals, organizations and companies do. They pay to get away with it, simple as that, IMO.

Putting a bullet in an animal with intention to kill and calling that a sport is just ... idk, I can't even find words for it. At least use a paintball gun or something, proves you're the man, have skills and COULD have killed the big wild animal, but show you're in it for the sport of hunting, not just to kill something. Catch and release...

My issue is..what are you exactly risking by hunting a dangerous animal like he was? Correct me if I'm wrong but one sits in a truck, probably with night vision goggles on, and waits for the animal to walk by. Where's the risk? Now if he was without a car, that is at least something. If he was out with a shotgun...

Personally id be all for the smiling dentist to bow-and-arrow the hell out of mosquitos, no matter what they are named! Those shits are pure gangsta... :la:

(Sorry getting ready for "Straight Outa Compton"!) :icon_mrgreen:

I vote for the mosquito massacre! I had freaking malaria and then a relapse of the freaking malaria months later. All I can say is it sucked big time. Death to Mosquitos!!!!!! :frocket:

I vote for the mosquito massacre! I had freaking malaria and then a relapse of the freaking malaria months later. All I can say is it sucked big time. Death to Mosquitos!!!!!! :frocket:

Agreed. I hate mosquitoes

Stuff happens around the world everywhere all the time, who's going to build an Importance Hierarchy Chart and start classifying events and assigning how much attention to which one we should pay?

There's a statement I can get behind. Pretty soon we'll be moving on from lion hunting vs. world hunger to lion hunting vs. Best Korea or something equally as bizarre.

I gave up a while ago, when one expects a freaking lion to have the same mental capacity in order to differentiate between right or wrong as a mature intelligent human and telling you, don't worry the lion isn't a God damn angel itself, I give up, I know I am not a quitter but in this instance I MUST GIVE UP!

You're a big fat quitter. Get back in there you lazy bastard.

The lion will kill for purposes other than food. That's why they can't mix them in with tigers. And mammalian animals I believe can know the difference between right and wrong. There was a video I once saw of two male lions that went out and hunted down and killed a male leopard for revenge purposes. That would mean that the lions could perceive it as wrong what the leopard had done (which I am not sure, I assume killed some baby lions maybe).

What is so stupid about it? Are you saying animals don't kill for fun?

You are misunderstanding me. People get so upset over certain animals being shot and killed because of perceptions they have about the animal. For example, lions versus hyenas, dolphins vs sharks, polar bears, etc...and a lot of such people, at least from what I have seen, do not realize that such animals kill for sport and fun and not just for food. This goes back to an old misconception that only humans will kill for sport and not animals.

And I think you are wrong if you think that animals cannot distinguish between right and wrong. Go kill some baby lions and don't be surprised if the lions hunt you down for revenge. Kill or torture an elephant or baby elephant and you may get hunted by the elephant for revenge. Hell, dogs and house cats can distinguish right from wrong. Mammals have a more developed brain in this sense compared to other animals like reptiles.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Not sure if I gave up but I simply threw my arms in the air and walked away at some point in the architecture thread.

And here we go again...chalking up another line on Wheels' avatar for things he defends. :icon_mrgreen: