C'mon Microsoft. Gimme a damn break.

SingleSeat

Just wanted to put this out there for all the Win 7/8/8.1 hold-outs avoiding Windows 10 due to its integral features of reporting user data back to Microsoft.

The basic premise is that several optional updates to Windows 7/8/8.1 will make it the same as Windows 10 in terms of reporting your information. Primarily, the problems are with KB3075249 and KB3080149, but there are still more with other reporting functions named in the articles.

http://beforeitsnews.com/science-and-techn...ry-2780752.html

http://www.techworm.net/2015/08/new-window...windows-10.html

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ran the win10 upgrade and just turned off all the reporting features. Is there more than what is able to be toggled in the user settings that I need to know about?

I ran the win10 upgrade and just turned off all the reporting features. Is there more than what is able to be toggled in the user settings that I need to know about?

:iamwithstupid:

:iamwithstupid:

:iamwithstupid:s

All well and good, but I don't put much faith in on/off switches. If it's in the code, it's out of my control. Also, "telemetry data" is ill-defined and it's difficult to dig up the details of each update that reports it. Plus, this stuff just wreaks of an inevitable security hole waiting to be torn open or abused.

As an aside, of course Microsoft assumes everyone would like to be the middle man in spying on people too, https://boingboing.net/2015/08/10/windows-10.html?fk_bb

How did you do that? Did a quick google search and the sources I read didn't come up with the correct process.

Windows 10 has made my computer 10x slower. Very disappointed. I've run every cleaning process, disabled unnecessary programs, deleted programs, yet I have gone from a 30 sec-1 min. start up time to 5 minutes.

How did you do that? Did a quick google search and the sources I read didn't come up with the correct process.

Windows 10 has made my computer 10x slower. Very disappointed. I've run every cleaning process, disabled unnecessary programs, deleted programs, yet I have gone from a 30 sec-1 min. start up time to 5 minutes.

http://windows.wonderhowto.com/inspiration...ows-10-0163552/

It should have prompted you to change these settings during installation, but many people overlook them.

I'm shocked your system is booting so slow, even on my laptop it's quicker than 8.1 by a long shot, sub 10 second currently with an i7 running from a SSD.

Run Linux or Mac or Microsoft will never have an incentive to fix this. The only reason for running Windows now is for games.. and even a good percentage of games have Mac support now.

Run Linux or Mac or Microsoft will never have an incentive to fix this. The only reason for running Windows now is for games.. and even a good percentage of games have Mac support now.

I'm going to install parallels or whatever is the other one as soon as pro evolution soccer comes out and play it on my macbook air. It's insane that macbook airs can run gta v, in 2008 i couldnt' run ANYTHING on a regular white macbook.

Mine much slower booting up too. Not enough to piss me off though.

I've upgraded 1 and installed 4 machines now, no issues with performance. Did you upgrade?

I ran Win 10 for an hour. Hated it. Wound up uninstalling it. Horrible
Why exactly? I hated Win 8 because it changed everything, but with Win 10 I use everything like I used to in Win 7, it just looks a little different and runs a little better.

I'm not ready to join the Apple cult yet, but I'm enslaved because I need Windows for 3D CAD/engineering work.

I'm going to install parallels or whatever is the other one as soon as pro evolution soccer comes out and play it on my macbook air. It's insane that macbook airs can run gta v, in 2008 i couldnt' run ANYTHING on a regular white macbook.

Get VMWare Fusion, I think it is superior to Parallels.

I have Windows 7. If I upgrade to Windows 10, will my Internet Explorer Favorite Places all be lost? I was reading that Windows 10 has an all-new browser.

I have Windows 7. If I upgrade to Windows 10, will my Internet Explorer Favorite Places all be lost? I was reading that Windows 10 has an all-new browser.

Did that exact update and all my favorites were saved. BTW the new browser is called Edge and so far it's been ok but you can still use IE but damn it's slow for some reason!

Don't use Internet Explorer! :eek3dance:

Did that exact update and all my favorites were saved. BTW the new browser is called Edge and so far it's been ok but you can still use IE but damn it's slow for some reason!

Coolbeans :)

Don't use Internet Explorer! :eek3dance:

I don't get all the anti-Internet Explorer views. What's so bad about it? I haven't seen much of an advantage over it in using Mozilla or Chrome. I tend to use IE more because it has all my Favorite Places and I can't transfer them but even disregarding those I'd still probably use it.

How do I get this wondow that says "get your free windows 10 now" to go away and never come back on 7?

Yeah, no good reason to run windows, except for the whole, industrial and engineering world only running windows. Literally almost all of the modern economy is run on windows.

Disclaimer, I run them all, even have some ancient machines running programs from the fifties at my lab.

I don't get all the anti-Internet Explorer views. What's so bad about it? I haven't seen much of an advantage over it in using Mozilla or Chrome. I tend to use IE more because it has all my Favorite Places and I can't transfer them but even disregarding those I'd still probably use it.

Because it has a terrible security track record and is the easiest browser to use to infect your entire machine. All you have to do is click one bad link and bam... machine hosed.

Good info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwn2Own