C'mon Microsoft. Gimme a damn break.

SingleSeat

Run Linux or Mac or Microsoft will never have an incentive to fix this. The only reason for running Windows now is for games.. and even a good percentage of games have Mac support now.

Apple doesn't even make a computer for professionals anymore...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, no good reason to run windows, except for the whole, industrial and engineering world only running windows. Literally almost all of the modern economy is run on windows.

Disclaimer, I run them all, even have some ancient machines running programs from the fifties at my lab.

Just curious, but what field are you in (your lab)? Also, why is it that you have computers running fifties programs? Is that because it would be too costly to re-write those programs?

Because it has a terrible security track record and is the easiest browser to use to infect your entire machine. All you have to do is click one bad link and bam... machine hosed.

Good info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwn2Own

I see. thanks for the information.

Apple doesn't even make a computer for professionals anymore...

The Mac Pro is pretty awesome. I'd love to get one but at this point the iMac does everything I need. Also have a Macbook Pro of course.

The Mac Pro is pretty awesome. I'd love to get one but at this point the iMac does everything I need. Also have a Macbook Pro of course.

No its not... The GPU they use is 3 fcuking years old and you can't even change it.

Chorizo, does VMware work well with running games?

Depends on the game. I've run quite a few games on my installation, but you don't get any 3D acceleration. So it really depends. You aren't going to run any newer games that require 3D like Far Cry, Titanfall, etc..

No its not... The GPU they use is 3 fcuking years old and you can't even change it.

It's a lot of power in a very small form factor... but yes, the GPU in there may not be top of the line. Guess it depends on what your requirements are, for me at work its way way overkill.

Lot of misinformation here. Yes you can run IE, edge kind of sucks because it doesn't have the capabilities to run any addin's HTML 5 only. The code in Windows 10 has been rewritten so it should be faster in every way. I have done over 100 computers with it and every single one was faster even a single proc 1 GB RAM machine.

As far as Mac/Linux vs. Windows. You really only need the windows if you are running in a business environment. For home environments Macs work great. Office on mac creates editing problems, Fusion runs better than parallels. You can also dual boot the Macs now to get the best performance. Collaberation through SharePoint, RDP connections, Exchange CRM and may other programs work but give you really weird results in MAC/Linux environments.

BTW I run about 600 Windows boxes and 150 Linux boxes all running on 5 VMware ESXi hosts running 524 GB of RAM and 80 cores each so I do know a little about this.

I can't upgrade to 10 till all my software is fixed for windows 10 compatibility :( Curious to see how it goes, i've heard mixed things on 10.

Can one partition their hard drive to run both?

You can dual boot pretty much anything if you have the right boot manager but... why would you want to?

You can dual boot pretty much anything if you have the right boot manager but... why would you want to?

Just in case I disliked Windows 10, I wouldn't want to have to then re-install Windows 7 and possibly have lost my Favorite Places.

Just in case I disliked Windows 10, I wouldn't want to have to then re-install Windows 7 and possibly have lost my Favorite Places.

Believe it or not, but there are actually ways to export/import/save your favorites!

Believe it or not, but there are actually ways to export/import/save your favorites!

:iamwithstupid: It's marginally more complicated than pushing the power button. Bombshell, it even works across multiple browsers. :eek3dance:

Wheels can apparently google-chi his way to a Ph.D. in design and engineering, but can't manage to figure out an operation which requires literally 4 mouse clicks. 5 if you open another browser and search how to do it. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Favorites is a single file in a normal directory in your user. You could copy paste it to usb stick.

And then there is google: http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-imp...-other-browsers

Yes, I am aware of all that, but I wasn't sure if I might mess something up (say where the new Windows wouldn't be able to import the old favorites).

:iamwithstupid: It's marginally more complicated than pushing the power button. Bombshell, it even works across multiple browsers. :eek3dance:

Wheels can apparently google-chi his way to a Ph.D. in design and engineering, but can't manage to figure out an operation which requires literally 4 mouse clicks. 5 if you open another browser and search how to do it. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

:tyson: :icon_butt: