StarWars; Spoilers there maybe

RobberBaron

Hello everyone,

Saw this today and know many of us on here are big StarWars people and figured I would share! I am so excited for this movie to come out!

Cheers,

RobberBaron

Link:

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:):):):):):):):)

I agree with this quote in the comments section:

"I'm so glad they're finally making a new Star Wars. It's been over 30 years since the last one!"

i just rented out a 48 seat theater to watch with friends/family in LA the day after the premier! CANNOT WAIT!!!!

Wow, I didn't even though one could do that. Good idea though. You can watch the film right when it comes out without the masses and their screaming kids all over.

Looks like it will a really god movie. Sadly there is now a *hitstorm of controversy over the casting. People have been posting a lot of negativity towards the film and it's "genocide". Seems like everything these days is an opportunity for people with agendas to inject themselves into every facet of life.

Will it make sense if I haven't watched the previous movies?

somewhat. the NEW star wars films take place obviously years after the original trilogy with a new generation of cast members. but they do have some of the cast members from the original star wars trilogy in these new movies. if you DON'T have time to watch all 6 films, i'd highly recommend at least watching episode 4-6 to get yourself primed for this movie. (plus it's the 3 that really counts. LOL)

somewhat. the NEW star wars films take place obviously years after the original trilogy with a new generation of cast members. but they do have some of the cast members from the original star wars trilogy in these new movies. if you DON'T have time to watch all 6 films, i'd highly recommend at least watching episode 4-6 to get yourself primed for this movie. (plus it's the 3 that really counts. LOL)

Thank you, I will try to watch the ones you recommended before watching the latest.

Still haven't seen any of them. When I was seven years old one of them came from tv and I tried to watch but there were only ordinary people wearing either black or white bajamaja quality plastic suits and on top of that I got totally bored after annoying talking trashcan and golden gay terminator were on the screen and haven't looked back ever since.

Since then I have learned from intern of nets that there is some hairy muppet and also ugly muppet who says "it's a trap", and thats about it, oh and some fluerescent lights with colored tube on top, an end plate and battery box at the shape of handle at the other end .

Still haven't seen any of them. When I was seven years old one of them came from tv and I tried to watch but there were only ordinary people wearing either black or white bajamaja quality plastic suits and on top of that I got totally bored after annoying talking trashcan and golden gay terminator were on the screen and haven't looked back ever since.

You should try to watch the originals, I think you might find them pretty enjoyable. They have some stupid elements, but they aren't kids movies like the prequels that were made recently were. The rolling trashcan (R2-D2) doesn't talk, he just beeps (well he "talks" through his beeping, but you can only discern what he is saying by the golden gay terminator's (C-3PO) responses to him).

Since then I have learned from intern of nets that there is some hairy muppet and also ugly muppet who says "it's a trap", and thats about it, oh and some fluerescent lights with colored tube on top, an end plate and battery box at the shape of handle at the other end .

"It's a trap" is by one of the leaders of the resistance in Episode 6 when the rebellion is going in to attack the Death Star and then realize that they've been led into a trap. I don't know what you are referring to with the fluorescent lights.

Thank you, I will try to watch the ones you recommended before watching the latest.

Yes, episodes 4-6 (the original films) are the best. The prequels are about the story of the rise of Darth Vadar (you'll get to know him). Unfortunately, they made the prequels completely Hollywood-ized and as kids movies). Interesting factoid is George Lucas put all of the traditional story archetypes outlined by Joseph Campbell into the Star Wars story.

Definitely. If only to provide yourself a solid foundation upon which to live the rest of your life. You're only hurting yourself by not seeing them Fort' hahaha!

Did I see the trailer? Yes.

Did I get tickets for opening day? Yes.

Am I excited? No, not really. That's what the prequels did...burned me from getting excited. Pretty sad.

I'll be in attendance because it's an event for the kids. Besides any hum-glum from me, my wife voiced the question of who fans would identify with because she said she didn't see anyone. It struck me that she was onto something. If you're asking little boys (the primary audience) to identify with a female protagonist, that's going to be a tough sell. Let's face it, little boys (and nerds) don't dig female protagonists because they're badasses. They dig them because they want to bang them. Little boys spend a lot of years growing through the process of becoming dogs who's only goal is to screw and pee on as many things as possible. Why is Black Widow so hot and not some Vasquez (Aliens) macho character? Whatever little girls identify with doesn't matter because they're not the big $ audience. They're not (in any appreciable numbers) buying the toys or dreaming of Star Wars in the middle of class.

If John Boyega is to become the protagonist, you're expecting that the majority demographic will identify with the black dude. That might not be such a big stretch because we have other movies and video games that succeed just fine with that, but the difference is enough that I think little white kids will instead flock in droves to the dark characters rather than the even mix we had in the '70s. The dark characters aren't enough to prop an entire phenomena on without the heroes to justify them. In the presence of our best sociopolitical management, white kids continue to hang out with other white kids and black kids continue to hang out with other black kids. Boys continue to hang out with boys and girls to hang out with girls. Darth Maul gave us our first taste of this in the form of one possibly interesting character in a sea of no one to identify with or really get behind. Fan favorites were widely dispersed in the original trilogy, but now we're going to have 95% of little white kids gravitating to the dark side for lack of any others to identify with. Will these young males be rooting for any of the "good" main characters? My gut says no. If this cool lookin' Captain Phasma character takes the helmet off and it's a chick...all those little white boys are going to be standing there saying WTF? I would. Little boys don't give a shit about strong female role models or social reform, and they are still where the money is. Do little boys run around wearing Padme t-shirts? Do their t-shirts have Princess Leia shooting a blaster by herself? It's all human nature and all these trailers have offered so far is evidence that they're off track from where they need to be to capture boys to the extent that today's little boys will be sitting around in thirty years talking about Star Wars. They're so wrapped around the axle of strong production value and being not-the-prequels, that their goals are shaping up like a shotgun spray rather than a rifle bullet. They can grab their money now, but it won't have any impact on society like the original trilogy. It'll just be another movie. The next Jurassic Universe (or whatever) will no longer be in the shadow of the Star Wars juggernaut and will return fire just as easily with more record-breaking sales.

Star Wars can break box office records and they are guaranteed to make money, but they're still burning the profits made from the OT rather than making any new money. Does that mean Star Wars is a white man's game and no one can enjoy it other than white males? At least partially it does, because the movie needs an audience -- a primary fuel to keep it going -- and everyone else is in the minority. There will always be people who play cross court and enjoy Star Wars just fine even if they are in the minority audience...people who are not held back by society's categories for them. Even non-American kids in other countries may enjoy it and strive to cross social boundaries to identify with the movie's characters, but again, they're not there in the NUMBERS that will make any appreciable pop-culture impact. Therefore, the film might as well Episode 10 and they can run the trailer for Rocky 16 on opening night.

Samus Aran is a female, but I get your point. On the issue of the prequels, there is uproar among quite a few fans who loved the prequels and demand they continue to be canon. However J.J. Abrams basically said that they primarily consider only the original trilogy canon. "Officially," the prequels are canon, but many fans think that Abrams and crew are ignoring them as best they can, so unofficially they may not be canon. Me personally, I thought the prequels were mostly stupid but also they had some huge plot holes IMO, and thus should be rejected from canon (my opinion).

For example C-3PO and R2-D2 both knew Luke and Leia's parents, and hence Darth Vader. So why didn't they say anything to Luke and Leia about that whole fiasco? Like, "Master Skywalker, I need to have a word with you. R2 and I have been discussing it, and we felt it appropriate to tell you that we actually knew your parents quite well. Darth Vader, we knew him from childhood..." but never anything.

Then Chewbacca was portrayed as a general in the prequels. So then how come he doesn't offer those skills up for the resistance movement? Why is he portrayed as an oaf who if you make him mad he'll pull your arms out?

This actually makes me think of a funny observation:

When R2-D2 is playing Chewbacca in the game and kicks his butt, and Han warns about not upsetting a wookie like that, and C-3PO says that no one gets concerned about upsetting a droid, to which Han replies, "That's 'cuz a droid don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookies have been known to do that." C-3PO then tells R2-D2 that he suggests he let the wookie win.

R2 could have responded, "Well I don't have arms."

For example C-3PO and R2-D2 both knew Luke and Leia's parents, and hence Darth Vader. So why didn't they say anything to Luke and Leia about that whole fiasco? Like, "Master Skywalker, I need to have a word with you. R2 and I have been discussing it, and we felt it appropriate to tell you that we actually knew your parents quite well. Darth Vader, we knew him from childhood..." but never anything.

Then Chewbacca was portrayed as a general in the prequels. So then how come he doesn't offer those skills up for the resistance movement? Why is he portrayed as an oaf who if you make him mad he'll pull your arms out?

I might be wrong, but I thought they wiped the memory of the droids after L&L's mom died giving birth, in order to protect the identities/location. At least I thought I remember that dialog in episode 3 towards the end?

I might be wrong, but I thought they wiped the memory of the droids after L&L's mom died giving birth, in order to protect the identities/location. At least I thought I remember that dialog in episode 3 towards the end?

Can't remember what was said myself in that scene, I'd have to re-watch it.

Ok, you guys are seriously into Star Wars for me it seems all to hard and complicated, I think I will just stick with some dodgy comedies :lol2:

Ok, you guys are seriously into Star Wars for me it seems all to hard and complicated, I think I will just stick with some dodgy comedies :lol2:

You can like it or hate it, but it's a requirement for making it through adulthood if you at least speak English. Don't let Wheels scare you off, it's not that complicated, lol. Besides, the original trilogy was made in the UK with a bunch of dodgy Brits. Maybe it's right up your alley. SW was the movie that started the "blockbuster" way of film making. Oh, and it's just a really good set of movies. Don't listen to that Finnish guy either...he's got frostbite or something.

C3P0s memory was erased...

R2, wouldn't say anything because 1., he cant talk, and 2. he is portrayed as the smartest being in the entire series... Need to stop a trash compactor, R2 does it. Need to open a locked door- R2 does it. Need the hyperdrive in the falcon fixed - R2 fixes it. AND He's strong in the force himself....

The better question is: Luke tells ben "[r2] claims to be the property of an Obi Wan Kenobi" and ben responds "I dont ever recall owning a droid." When in fact, Ben meets R2 in episode 1, and seems to very much be his master in episode 2 and 3. Why doesn't BEN say "fcuk R2?!? How the hell you been buddy!?"