Anyone tried Wireless fence for pets?

kmr

You should put it up, and try the collar out first on yourself.. See how you like being electrocuted.

+1 torture devices.

I have invisible fence and It's excellent if you train them right and beeps them before zapping them. It's not torture and yes I have tried it, I also have a remote beep and zap collar for my 3 bullmastiffs and it's great to be able to walk them in the woods and control all 3 with a beep if I need to. They listen really well but sometimes they want to get into dead animals or something else on the ground so I need to correct them. It's either a beep or a little tickle or I have a sick or poisoned dog,

Invisible fence is better than a dead dog run over any day.

I doubt the wireless concept would work well given the limitations of shape (it only works in a circle) and signal strength, wireless reliability, etc., but invisible fences work great. And as far as being a "torture device" (seriously? I have used it on myself and while I wouldn't want it done for an hour straight, it wasn't going to do any permanent damage), my four German Shepherds over 15 years were probably shocked a total of 3 times each, virtually all of which were during initial training. Once they learn where the perimeter is they don't get close enough to get shocked again (which is kind of the point). And they don't have to get shocked 10 times to figure out where the perimeter is as that's why you mark it with flags initially, and they associate the distance from the flags with the shock. Two or three times will do it, at least on a GS. A varying boundary would suck for them though, which is another reason I wouldn't try this wireless route.

You should put it up, and try the collar out first on yourself.. See how you like being electrocuted.

Thanks for the offer. We'll work out the flight details next year when the house is done so you can be the first candidate....

I doubt the wireless concept would work well given the limitations of shape (it only works in a circle) and signal strength, wireless reliability, etc., but invisible fences work great. And as far as being a "torture device" (seriously? I have used it on myself and while I wouldn't want it done for an hour straight, it wasn't going to do any permanent damage), my four German Shepherds over 15 years were probably shocked a total of 3 times each, virtually all of which were during initial training. Once they learn where the perimeter is they don't get close enough to get shocked again (which is kind of the point). And they don't have to get shocked 10 times to figure out where the perimeter is as that's why you mark it with flags initially, and they associate the distance from the flags with the shock. Two or three times will do it, at least on a GS. A varying boundary would suck for them though, which is another reason I wouldn't try this wireless route.

Kind of my thoughts as well. The audible beep is more the deterrent once they get trained. But yes given the property is is over 2.5 acres may just have to bury the wire.... Or stuff the dogs ha.

Wireless is only good for small dogs and a small property. The limit is not an exact distance. It is a variable based upon structure in between. I tried it on my farm property with no real success, threw it away.

I have invisible fence and It's excellent if you train them right and beeps them before zapping them. It's not torture and yes I have tried it, I also have a remote beep and zap collar for my 3 bullmastiffs and it's great to be able to walk them in the woods and control all 3 with a beep if I need to. They listen really well but sometimes they want to get into dead animals or something else on the ground so I need to correct them. It's either a beep or a little tickle or I have a sick or poisoned dog,

Invisible fence is better than a dead dog run over any day.

Bingo! Use it at my parents and it works great for their dogs. They don't even get near it after the training period.

Kind of my thoughts as well. The audible beep is more the deterrent once they get trained. But yes given the property is is over 2.5 acres may just have to bury the wire.... Or stuff the dogs ha.

Just fence it in, so I can bring Ollie up and let him run around your yard with your dogs! hah

I understand you guys. I was initially not hot on the idea either, but I went ahead and bit the bullet on the buried invisible fence looking at my options. The wireless options seemed pretty inflexible, unreliable, and ultimately worthless. Everything in-ground is fully adjustable, giving us options on what distances from the perimeter to train him and where the perimeter is so that he can have a reasonable area to roam. ...given the other variable affecting where the zap occurs being how high the dog's neck is off the ground for an in-ground system. Of course the zap strength is also adjustable. The dog knows his territory by his nose and ground reference, so the abstract notion of range from some imaginary center point isn't as easy a concept unless it's centered around a person. The dog learns his boundaries such that he can be let out without the collar and know not to leave the perimeter defined by familiar features.

The dog (Doberman) only got zapped once or twice and learned that the perimeter of training flags were the no-go zone and the collar beeps were the warning signal to turn back. The zap isn't really that bad either. I did worse to myself as a kid trying to grab chain link fences in an electrical storm just for kicks and the dog hurts himself worse playing rough. I don't think it's so much painful as it is weird -- it feels like nothing else and that catches the dog off-guard and startles the dog more than it actually hurts it.

There are plenty of little kids running around like wild crazy asses, making wild crazy-ass noises, and generally making themselves look fun to play with for the dog. I don't put all my faith in the fence such that I just let the dog outside to rage around at his leisure without any supervision, lest he see something that REALLY catches his interest and bolts. If he did, he'd be through the shock range so fast that it wouldn't stop him en route to the target anyway. That has yet to happen. For every-day interests, it's more than adequate to keep him uninterested in pursuing whatever it is. The moral is that no fence relieves you of the responsibility to supervise, but a fence is just an aid to help you.

The other side of it is that so many people are scared shitless of the Doberman. He's actually quite discerning about who he doesn't trust, who is acting shifty, or when and where he's going to get riled up. The good news is that the dog sees himself as part of the team, so he sticks with the team rather than go lone-wolf. His default is to stay wherever the team is. Joe Blow walking his dog or neighbor outside chatting doesn't phase him. Thus, one part of it is having a well socialized dog. A stupid dog, or an un-socialized dog, hurts the system and themselves. A physical fence will fail just the same at some point with a bad dog, but the fences among our neighbors are still working well with even the socially marginal dogs. There are two or three behavioral nightmares in the area that I think an e-fence wouldn't stop.

The other part of it is the liability. I'm no lawyer and I don't REALLY know how any kind of incident would play out in court, but for lack of better knowledge, to have a dog that's viewed as an aggressive breed and showing no effort to train or contain him we feel could work against us. Therefore, the presence of the fence, at some level, becomes part of a layered defense of his existence.

The people that really need the fences are those who have those bitey little yappershits...terrorizing the neighborhood with their little cretins because they train them like cats; i.e. not at all (whereas cats are a lot more self-disciplined). I wish I could just put a .50 cal through those animals and splatter them all over the street just to prove a point. My dog has been bitten several times by those little bastards and still, he listens to us to not go offensive. They have no electrical fences, the yapperdoodles bolt from their homes at will, and there are no repercussions. If my dog departed an unfenced area and bit someone's precious little foofoo, there'd be a congressional inquiry and I'd loose the dog. Besides, those snarling little yapperdoodles need to be shocked more. They deserve it.

I had this installed last week and it is amazing. Training is easy and done with flags and beeps. The el;ectric part is also progressive beginning 4 feet from the boundary. Yes, I did try it and no it didn't hurt. I am an animal lover and don't think anything about it is cruel . . . meanest thing about it is having to put the collar on the pups which they don't usually wear. http://www.dogwatch.com/

im sure these fences will help keep your pet from running away. but i have seen instances where the pet will run through the electrocution and keep running. It stops after a certain point. thats something that would keep me feeling worried

im sure these fences will help keep your pet from running away. but i have seen instances where the pet will run through the electrocution and keep running. It stops after a certain point. thats something that would keep me feeling worried