Webster wrote a cool article on start ups

Rawr

I was reading this good article then realized it must be Wesbster.

https://medium.com/@dhh/reconsider-41adf356857f

RECONSIDER

About 12 years ago, I co-founded a startup called Basecamp: A simple project collaboration tool that helps people make progress together, sold on a monthly subscription.

It took a part of some people’s work life and made it a little better. A little nicer than trying to manage a project over email or by stringing together a bunch of separate chat, file sharing, and task systems. Along the way it made for a comfortable business to own for my partner and me, and a great place to work for our employees.

That’s it.

It didn’t disrupt anything. It didn’t add any new members to the three-comma club. It was never a unicorn. Even worse: There are still, after all these years, less than fifty people working at Basecamp. We don’t even have a San Francisco satellite office!

I know what you’re thinking, right? BOOOORING. Why am I even listening to this guy? Isn’t this supposed to be a conference for the winners of game startup? Like people who’ve either already taken hundreds of million in venture capital or at least are aspiring to? Who the hell in their right mind would waste more than a decade toiling away at a company that doesn’t even have a pretense of an ambition for Eating The World™.

Well, the reason I’m here is to remind you that maybe, just maybe, you too have a nagging, gagging sense that the current atmosphere of disrupt-o-mania isn’t the only air a startup can breathe. That perhaps this zeal for disruption is not only crowding out other motives for doing a startup, but also can be downright poisonous for everyone here and the rest of the world.

Agree. Not anything I know much about but was an interesting read.

:iamwithstupid:

I learned everything I know about silicon valley from watching the TV show, but it sounds interesting none the less.

2. Guy buying 2mm cars telling people to chill? Lol gtfo. :lol2:

Reminds me of something I read when starting on this board: It's Just A Car. Even a Zonda. Even a Koenigsegg. They're lovely, but they're not going to make you happy in any durable, meaningful sense of the word. They're not worth sacrificing your values or life over. If you happen to land in a position where you can enjoy exotics, wonderful! Enjoy it! But if you don't? Meh!

Reminds me of something I read when starting on this board: It's Just A Car. Even a Zonda. Even a Koenigsegg. They're lovely, but they're not going to make you happy in any durable, meaningful sense of the word. They're not worth sacrificing your values or life over. If you happen to land in a position where you can enjoy exotics, wonderful! Enjoy it! But if you don't? Meh!

Glad to see you are still active. A bit off topic but I was curious about your opinion on http://www.phoenixframework.org

Cmon. You worked your ass off to get to where you are. You arnt the 67th cousin of the king of saudi. Saying if you "land" in a position where you can do stuff/buy stuff etc then merry xmas for all is a bit disingenuous.

Just my 2.

Its like me saying hey, if you can get clean water, great! If not, no biggie!-as I sip my evian.

And no, Im not equating a luxury purchase to a necessity, but things look different depending on which rung of the ladder youre on.

And now, a zonda pic pls?

A freaking men. Too many people don't realize this. Anything worth doing is worth doing right and anything worth earning is worth earning right.

I'm just as happy now working in the UAE and whipping the S8 as I was working in the USA and pushing a civic. The job and the car don't make the man...the man makes the man.

Bingo.

Cmon. You worked your ass off to get to where you are. You arnt the 67th cousin of the king of saudi. Saying if you "land" in a position where you can do stuff/buy stuff etc then merry xmas for all is a bit disingenuous.

Just my 2.

Its like me saying hey, if you can get clean water, great! If not, no biggie!-as I sip my evian.

And no, Im not equating a luxury purchase to a necessity, but things look different depending on which rung of the ladder youre on.

And now, a zonda pic pls?

I can understand where the idea of false modesty comes from, but at the same time I believe it when people who have made it tell you that material possessions are cool but overrated in their contribution to life happiness.

It's not to say there won't be brief periods of complete joy......I know it would be that way.

But after awhile, human beings get used to everything. It's pretty scary when you think about it. :icon_mrgreen:

:iamwithstupid: No matter what avenue in life you take, always keep what truly matter at the forefront.

Perfectly worded !

This is what I tell everyone who asks me about success, of course most think I am being a dick but it's certainly not the case, enjoy every moment of your life where you are and with what you've got, that does not mean you shouldn't strive for the best you can do or sit on your ass doing nothing.

When you start being complacent that's when you've given up and start losing your relevance, that's scarier for me than actual failure and failure terrifies me.

Exotics and material possessions mean very little and most you can do without, there are a lot more meaningful things in ones life, you will only be truly rich when you personally discover what those things are for you.

True words of wisdom right there....