Anyone going to the Super Bowl?

Kevin M.

The historical betting stats says to be wary of going all in on Carolina like it's the surest bet ever:

• Teams that win the conference championship game by 30+ are 2-5 in the Super Bowl
  • Teams that score 40+ in the playoffs are 5-23 against the spread the following game

Gone are the days of the '86 Giants, '89 49ers, etc. when killing teams in the postseason meant an inevitable destruction of their opponent in the Super Bowl.

Now you have to manage overconfidence and complacency with dominant teams in the parity era. To some extent Carolina falls in that category this season with the plethora of blowouts, and while impressive, it doesn't mean anything on a game to game basis (if anything it adds pressure).

Of course the possibility that Carolina comes in and steamrolls Denver is realistic having seen what happened two years ago in SB 48.

But if you look at the winner of that game (Seattle), you'll notice that they didn't look too hot in the 2013 NFC playoffs, squeaking by New Orleans and San Francisco on back to back weeks, with each game coming down to the final play, at home. Both games were rematches of regular season games that were blowouts in Seattle's favor (another predictable part of football.....rare to see consecutive blowouts in rematches).

Seattle then proceeds to massacre Denver, and it was a rather unexpected blowout given Denver's #1 offense of all time.

The only thing I'm confident to predict this weekend is a lowish scoring game....something along the lines of 16-13, maybe 20-17. If it's 3-3 halftime, it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

I think the game plan for defensive coordinator Wade Phillips is to force this game into Cam Newton's hands as much as possible. Double Greg Olsen, load up the box against the run, and man up tight on the receivers.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The historical betting stats says to be wary of going all in on Carolina like it's the surest bet ever:

• Teams that win the conference championship game by 30+ are 2-5 in the Super Bowl
  • Teams that score 40+ in the playoffs are 5-23 against the spread the following game

Gone are the days of the '86 Giants, '89 49ers, etc. when killing teams in the postseason meant an inevitable destruction of their opponent in the Super Bowl.

Now you have to manage overconfidence and complacency with dominant teams in the parity era. To some extent Carolina falls in that category this season with the plethora of blowouts, and while impressive, it doesn't mean anything on a game to game basis (if anything it adds pressure).

Of course the possibility that Carolina comes in and steamrolls Denver is realistic having seen what happened two years ago in SB 48.

But if you look at the winner of that game (Seattle), you'll notice that they didn't look too hot in the 2013 NFC playoffs, squeaking by New Orleans and San Francisco on back to back weeks, with each game coming down to the final play, at home. Both games were rematches of regular season games that were blowouts in Seattle's favor (another predictable part of football.....rare to see consecutive blowouts in rematches).

Seattle then proceeds to massacre Denver, and it was a rather unexpected blowout given Denver's #1 offense of all time.

The only thing I'm confident to predict this weekend is a lowish scoring game....something along the lines of 16-13, maybe 20-17. If it's 3-3 halftime, it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

I think the game plan for defensive coordinator Wade Phillips is to force this game into Cam Newton's hands as much as possible. Double Greg Olsen, load up the box against the run, and man up tight on the receivers.

I agree 100%. It'll be a close game.

It's nice to be right for a change. :icon_mrgreen:

Cam Newton was a product of that OL, run game, defense. When he was standing tall in the pocket and slicing up teams with an hour to throw each down, I still hesitated to give him his MVP props.

Unless you have the absolute best defense in the league, your QB play will come into question in the Super Bowl.

Peyton Manning's statline was pretty bad but it didn't even matter.

Cam's gotta fix his loser postgame antics......gotta take the losses like a man if you're going to celebrate like a kid every time you make a big play and win games.

My prediction. Panthers Defense is better than the Bronco's and the whole story ends up being about the Panthers defense controlling the game and not the Bronco's.

Carolina is going to CRUSH Denver.

We have some fine analysts on here!

Was an ok game, I am exhausted today what with time difference etc. A game of defence which focused hard on how Cam bottled it badly. Shame as Denver defence never looked out of shape or ruffled. I actually think that Manning actually had a sub par game, almost like nerves were affecting him to but the history books will not show that.

One thing I hate though is the celebrating for tackling or making progress. I mean FFS, unless it is a point on the board shut up.

One thing I hate though is the celebrating for tackling or making progress. I mean FFS, unless it is a point on the board shut up.

:iamwithstupid:

That's why Barry Sanders will always be one of my favorite sports icons. Talented, an incredible player and humble.

Sanders on the field was a slick, fast, showman. The moment play stopped, though, he became quiet and gentlemanly. He handed his touchdown ball to the nearest official. He didn't trash talk or dance in the end zone. He learned this approach from his parents.

"They are get-up early, hard-working, go-do-your-job people," Sanders said. "They don't want anything from anybody. They want to take care of their own. That was exactly my approach to football. I wasn't necessarily looking for fame and fortune. I tried to make sure I upheld my end. I took care of business and then went home."

Cam's gotta fix his loser postgame antics......gotta take the losses like a man if you're going to celebrate like a kid every time you make a big play and win games.
I don't generally follow football. I watched the second half. I've not seen this Cam guy before last night.

Wow - what a bad attitude. Even I could see how unprofessiional he was, and how it seemed every little mistake (whether his or someone else's) bothered him. It was annoying how slowly he moved back to the huddle. Rather than shake it off and LEAD his team with positive attitude, my impression is that he wallowed in negativity.

He was like a little boy throwing a tantrum on the ground when he believed the ref missed a call (I think it would have been roughing passer or personal foul or something in that category). REALLY???

I kept wondering when Cam was going to look like a leader. From what I saw - he never got there.

It's nice to be right for a change. :icon_mrgreen:

Cam Newton was a product of that OL, run game, defense. When he was standing tall in the pocket and slicing up teams with an hour to throw each down, I still hesitated to give him his MVP props.

Unless you have the absolute best defense in the league, your QB play will come into question in the Super Bowl.

Peyton Manning's statline was pretty bad but it didn't even matter.

When I sent you that PM about how I thought DEN was going to win, and you picked DEN also, but you've been wrong the entire post season then yes, it does feel good that you were right for a change!

That DEN defense played chess with that CAR OL. They couldn't run, they locked down their receivers, and put the game in CAM's hands just like you said.

Never forget Fellippe :D

Anyone else find it to a insufferably boring match?

I thought it was a really great game. Every possession and every yard was fraught for. Double fumbles, tons of sacks and turnovers. Great game. Never knew what was going to happen. It was a close game until the end.

Anyone else find it to a insufferably boring match?

Only real football purists enjoy defense. This was a game straight out of the '70s or '80s, when the NFL was quite the show.

Truth be told, what we saw were two excellent defenses with not great QB play (Peyton on his last leg (arm), Cam being exposed as still green at the highest levels).

The more casual fan prefers a 41-38 type ballgame.

I'd say that if the game had a few big plays on offense for both teams, it could have been a great game.

Still better than all the blowouts, and a good amount of games. Anytime the dog wins in convincing fashion, you have to give props to the result.

As much as I love to tease Peyton Manning for the extreme media saturation he gets, and being slightly overrated.....I do feel happy for him to go out this way and notch a clean 200 career wins (knocking off Brett Favre whom I hate).

Only real football purists enjoy defense. This was a game straight out of the '70s or '80s, when the NFL was quite the show.

Yeah, i'm not claiming to be a big fan. I played a couple of years and didn't really enjoy it. So good to hear that it was a good "purist" match. Not many sports have that anymore.

I actually feel sorry for Cam though. Young lad, passionate and talented. Yes he gave a petulant air in the last 1/4 but stuff just did not flow for them and I have done much much worse on the side of a pitch. His post match interview, I would be using those cameras as ICBMs. I completely understand that, I think when you are passionate and competitive you have that stroppy gene.

When you have a bad game, when things conspire against you it is hard to keep the emotions in check.

The other thing is that from this point on people will refer to him as a bottling it. Every commentary for every game, they will mention the loss and his performance. Hopefully the kid can use that and grow up and out of it.

I actually feel sorry for Cam though. Young lad, passionate and talented. Yes he gave a petulant air in the last 1/4 but stuff just did not flow for them and I have done much much worse on the side of a pitch. His post match interview, I would be using those cameras as ICBMs. I completely understand that, I think when you are passionate and competitive you have that stroppy gene.

When you have a bad game, when things conspire against you it is hard to keep the emotions in check.

The other thing is that from this point on people will refer to him as a bottling it. Every commentary for every game, they will mention the loss and his performance. Hopefully the kid can use that and grow up and out of it.

Agreed 100%. I don't blame him at all for his post game interview. Very competitive people are usually that way. Young and emotional, but I wouldn't hold it against him. I really hope he wins one one day. Learning experience, it will hopefully make him better.

Agreed 100%. I don't blame him at all for his post game interview. Very competitive people are usually that way. Young and emotional, but I wouldn't hold it against him. I really hope he wins one one day. Learning experience, it will hopefully make him better.

:iamwithstupid:

I didn't watch post game interviews, and I understand the sympathy for those who are passionate about their sport.

BUT - when you get paid as much as these pro players they should rise to the occasion, they should have ample media training and they should never forget that they are role models for kids.

Just like a pro golfer should never throw a club or mash it to the ground in anger, a pro football player (or pro anything) should understand that being professional is part of the job and they must set a good example.

But no amount of training can sort that out. Look at the little tantrums Tiger Woods has. You cannot train and teach that out of a competitive player.

Heck, I am still pissed off with a rugby match 14 years ago when I dropped a catch.

Only good thing about that game was winning a bit of money, the win payed for the beer and food at least.. damn.. what a shitty game. It was not worth going to bed at 5AM for this!

Luckily last weeks game (patriots vs broncos) was a very good game!

Defensive games are never that exciting. I also feel bad for Cam and don't really blame him. He gets so much shit when he is happy and celebrating and then so much when he is deservedly bummed after a loss. Seems like he can't win. I guess he needs to be taught the resting bitch face

So apparently the real reason Cam walked out during the interview is because he could hear a broncos player getting interviewed right nextdoor to him, and the Broncos player was taking about their strategy of how they loaded the box and put the game on Cam.

He heard that then walked off.

There is a good video online of this I'm sure. That makes sense.

So apparently the real reason Cam walked out during the interview is because he is an immature vagina.

He heard that then walked off.

There is a good video online of this I'm sure. That makes sense.

Ftfy